What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Bill Simmons Podcast (1 Viewer)

Bills knowledge (or lackthereof) about Las Vegas is breathtakingly stupid.  On the Hangover rewatchable he acts like a savant about Vegas but holy hell he comes across as a moron.

Some gems:

Vegas was all dudes in the 90's

Vegas almost went under in 2009

Vegas was still an underground thing in the 90's?

There werent bachorlette parties until the 2000's

Dude has lost his marbles
Translation:

"When I went to Vegas in the '90s, I never saw any women because I was a socially-awkward loser."

:lmao:

Good point. Just seems like on this site, he is hated.
I bash him a lot.  To be honest, I actually am entertained by him.  I love the Cousin Sal episodes.  I generally like Rusillo as well, but I'm not a fan of the NBA so that definitely tempers my enjoyment of those episodes.  My bashing comes from a place of resentment because a) he's not nearly as entertaining as he used to be; and b) he's become everything he used to decry (the 1%, self-entitled dbag).

To be fair, Tony Kornheiser has also become everything he used to hate, and I still love him.  I think it's because he's self-aware enough to admit it.

When he has Haralabos Voulgaris on his podcast it is just startling the distinct difference in knowledge. Does he just laugh at Simmons off air? 

Sinmons: Marcus Smart is just out there doing things. Things you can't measure. Marcus Smart things. Analytics just can't measure him. 

HV: actually he's the perfect player to be measured by analytics.
basically made the exact same comment about Iguodala in the Klosterman pod, but sadly no one there to call him on it.

Simmons said something to the effect of OKC getting "two bucks on the dollar" for George, which is just simply preposterous. He also claimed later that there were 25 players in the NBA that were meaningful, which kind of contradicts the first statement?

Also Westbrook is a top 12 player in the league but one of the two worst contracts in the league. I dunno man.

Nothing will ever be as preposterous as him recently saying that you can complete a rebuild in the NHL basically overnight and rebuilding is much easier there than in the NBA...a league where a team can go from a middle tier playoff team to the Vegas championship favorite with one transaction.

It's amazing that this guy can make "Knicks" and "Nets" sound virtually identical. He manages to pronounce both an I and an E with more of an A sound. 

Listen to him talk about Durant's decision and rattle off those team names 5x each in 10 seconds and you almost can't tell who he's referring to at any given point.

Some of those east coast pronunciations are bonkers.  Milk = Melk, Vanilla = Vanella, Robot = Robutt, etc.

I’ve not been a fan of the post-Grantland podcasts with Zach Lowe but the most recent one was really really good. 

I look forward to the guess the lines pod each Monday, and this week House is on there screaming to 11 😔😔😔😔 never turned this particular pod off until today. 

:tumbleweed:

I only listen occasionally at this point.  It's mostly a hate-listen.  I love Sal.  Parent Corner makes me so angry that he is SO enabling to his terrible children (surprise, only child of divorce who fell ### backwards into millions of dollars never disciplines his kids).

Most of the podcasts I listen to were on hiatus for the last week or so.  I listened to Guessing the Lines today.  Sal and Bill talked about what matchup Tess and Booger would be calling for the Australian feed of the Super Bowl.  Bill did an awful Australian accent imitating the Australians' response to Tess and Booger.  Sounded like....more constipated Bill, maybe?  But Sal had a great line about the Australians rooting for Iran in the war, and I laughed and laughed.  Worth the two hour podcast of Simmons licking his own balls for that one line.

:tumbleweed:

I only listen occasionally at this point.  It's mostly a hate-listen.  I love Sal.  Parent Corner makes me so angry that he is SO enabling to his terrible children (surprise, only child of divorce who fell ### backwards into millions of dollars never disciplines his kids).

Most of the podcasts I listen to were on hiatus for the last week or so.  I listened to Guessing the Lines today.  Sal and Bill talked about what matchup Tess and Booger would be calling for the Australian feed of the Super Bowl.  Bill did an awful Australian accent imitating the Australians' response to Tess and Booger.  Sounded like....more constipated Bill, maybe?  But Sal had a great line about the Australians rooting for Iran in the war, and I laughed and laughed.  Worth the two hour podcast of Simmons licking his own balls for that one line.

I can’t believe he had the stones to go 40 minutes before bringing up the Pats loss. 
The dynasty isn't over.  I tried telling you "we" were not a  great team this year.  Uh huh.  Ok Billy.

I can’t believe he had the stones to go 40 minutes before bringing up the Pats loss. 
:lmao:   no way. 

I haven’t listened to them since about week 3. I love sal but can’t stand bill. Might have to give this one a go. 

:lmao:   no way. 

I haven’t listened to them since about week 3. I love sal but can’t stand bill. Might have to give this one a go. 
It's worth it.  Actually I posted before Parent Corner of this one.  The ess his kid buys off of Amazon - with apparently zero supervision - is amazing.  Best one I've listened to in a while.  Not for the reasons Bill thinks.

It's worth it.  Actually I posted before Parent Corner of this one.  The ess his kid buys off of Amazon - with apparently zero supervision - is amazing.  Best one I've listened to in a while.  Not for the reasons Bill thinks.
Maybe the best ever parent corner today. 

I disagree with this sentiment.  He saw where the market was going and had the vision and ability to monetize it.  He definitely worked to get to where he is.  I don't take anything away from his path to get to where he is today. 

Spotify sale done. Sounds like the podcasts will remain on all platforms and the website will keep running for the three people reading it. 

All those non-podcast Ringer employees are lucky to be keeping their jobs but I imagine that’s going to be short-lived and Simmons didn’t want to deal with the backlash of cashing in while a bunch of his people got fired. Seems inevitable for it to happen slowly though. 

I do like his Cousin Sal podcasts.  I used to like The Rewatchables, but for a guy who got famous using Shawshank, Bloodsport and Karate Kid references, his movie selections for the past few months are horrific. 

All those non-podcast Ringer employees are lucky to be keeping their jobs but I imagine that’s going to be short-lived and Simmons didn’t want to deal with the backlash of cashing in while a bunch of his people got fired. Seems inevitable for it to happen slowly though. 
Yea the website has like a year left I’d guess. 

i guess hbo had a 10% stake, so yes.

has this article been posted before?

https://www.niemanlab.org/2019/01/has-bill-simmons-the-ringer-figured-out-the-model-for-podcast-success/

The Ringer’s podcast ad sales topped $15 million in 2018 (and accounted for most of its revenue); its podcast network brings in around 35 million downloads across 28 shows; Simmons says the company is profitable. Headcount is apparently expected to grow up to 100 this year, and company leadership appears to be eschewing outside funding — particularly venture capital — to power further growth. (It should be noted, though, that HBO bought a 10 percent stake in The Ringer at the start of the business.) And for the curious: Midroll Media is responsible for ad sales, and The Ringer is thought to pocket more than two-thirds of podcast revenues once Midroll takes its cut.

wow, the pod save crew makes bank:

According to a Vanity Fair writeup from last summer, Crooked Media’s 10-podcast-strong network is thought to comfortably book eight-figure revenues, which put it around the same territory as The Ringer, albeit off a smaller portfolio. That network is also anchored by a dominant show, the aforementioned Pod Save America, which averages about 1.5 million listeners per episode, according to The New York Times, and brings in about $5 million per year by itself, according to an estimate by The Guardian.

The ringer only gets 11m views a month???? Those people should have been worried about losing their jobs long before this sale. 

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread