What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Bill Simmons Podcast (1 Viewer)

gosh darn Henry Abbott laid Simmons out.
I googled this with my eyes rolling a bit, because   a lot of hacks have had their knives out for Simmons the last few days over some relatively innocuous stuff, and Abbott has his own issues with being overly smug. This article had plenty of the petty stuff I expected, but also some pretty incredible and damning observations that don’t really surprise me at all. 

Can someone give me the cliff notes version of what happened here?
henry abbott, founder of truehoop, which came under the ESPN brand in 2007, did not care for his interactions with Bill Simmons or the way that Bill was coddled and feared by ESPN staffers. and he found bill to be too led by his emotions.

abbott is coming out with this stuff now, seemingly, because there was an article published recently about the lack of diversity at the Ringer and under Bill's leadership in general over the years.  for instance, The Rewatchables podcast used to have a lot of different guest hosts on of a variety of races, and now is usually just bill and 2 other white guys.  bill defended this move by saying it's not an open mic night, i guess meaning that he wanted a specific, "professional" sound to the podcast (or something like that).

The only Child syndrome does have a lot of merit.  But I've never got the impression that Simmons was racist in any way. 
i think that it less that he is racist and i guess more that he has not promoted diversity at the ringer and it is getting less diverse.  and then i guess people got mad that russillo was praising Simmons for his supposedly diverse group.  but it does seem fairly overblown, because i think that grantland was pretty diverse and maybe right now he hasn't done as much to promote diversity in the staff, but i'm not sure that he really has to be.  seems like more of an internal struggle that suddenly got put on blast publicly.

After Mr. Russillo, who is white, spoke of what he described as “looters” who were “breaking into sneaker shops,” he complimented Mr. Simmons on his hiring practices, praising his boss for “the jobs and the opportunities that you’ve given a diverse group.”

Mr. Simmons and Mr. Russillo apologized for the episode after it set off a social-media backlash and was described as “preposterous” in The New York Daily News. Ringer employees criticized it, too, singling out the part of the conversation that touched on staffing issues at the company.

The Ringer Union, which is affiliated with the Writers Guild of America, East and represents about 65 employees, noted in a June 1 Twitter post that the outlet had no black editors or staff writers covering the National Basketball Association or the National Football League. It also said that more than 85 percent of the speakers on Ringer podcasts last year were white.

Mr. Simmons said in an email to The New York Times that The Ringer “fell short” on diversity. He added that he expects to make personnel announcements soon that will show that the company is making progress on the issue.

At an all-hands meeting a few days after the podcast episode, Mr. Simmons told the staff he was going to make mistakes, but that he tried to learn from them.

Staff members raised concerns about the comments made by Mr. Russillo on the podcast, according to three people who attended the meeting who were not authorized to discuss it publicly.

i think that it less that he is racist and i guess more that he has not promoted diversity at the ringer and it is getting less diverse.  and then i guess people got mad that russillo was praising Simmons for his supposedly diverse group.  but it does seem fairly overblown, because i think that grantland was pretty diverse and maybe right now he hasn't done as much to promote diversity in the staff, but i'm not sure that he really has to be.  seems like more of an internal struggle that suddenly got put on blast publicly.
I think it's a story because of his reaction comment. When the issue of diversity came up, he should have touted his history employing minorities and then admitted that there is still room to grow in the area. What not to do was make a condescending remark dismissing the issue. 

Good Posting Judge said:
gosh darn Henry Abbott laid Simmons out.

The only Child syndrome does have a lot of merit.  But I've never got the impression that Simmons was racist in any way. 
Pretty sure some of us have used that reference to him in this very thread.  He's the perfect example of an only child, Abbott is spot on.

IMO, the revelation that Simmons was the architect of The Decision, and then ripped Lebron to shreds for it for years after, is more damning than him giving his kid access to a microphone for an hour every couple months. 

IMO, the revelation that Simmons was the architect of The Decision, and then ripped Lebron to shreds for it for years after, is more damning than him giving his kid access to a microphone for an hour every couple months. 
Before: http://www.espn.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmonsnflpicks/091125

After: http://www.espn.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/100709

:lmao:

Somebody was obviously butthurt that he wasn't included in the show.

feels like it was Czaban who said of Marshawn Lynch, "of course i want you to talk so i can rip you for it! that's good content!"

of course Simmons wanted Lebron to take a fan's suggestion and do what Kobe had already done previously... he wanted the content.  it's not damning, it's sports media content and it makes money :shrug:

I noticed that, too. I know he and ESPN had a huge falling out so wonder which one demanded that be how his name is listed. 
What is funny is that during that falling out Simmons was 100% in the right.  He called Goddell a liar on his podcast and that is what sent the Espn brass specifically the cokehead john skipper into a tizzy.  If espn had any sense they would have given simmons a wide berth and just left him alone to do his own thing.  ESPN nixed a podcast with then senator obama.  How effing dumb were they?

https://deadspin.com/deadspin-classic-espn-nixes-bill-simmons-barack-obama-5889576

What is funny is that during that falling out Simmons was 100% in the right.  He called Goddell a liar on his podcast and that is what sent the Espn brass specifically the cokehead john skipper into a tizzy.  If espn had any sense they would have given simmons a wide berth and just left him alone to do his own thing.  ESPN nixed a podcast with then senator obama.  How effing dumb were they?

https://deadspin.com/deadspin-classic-espn-nixes-bill-simmons-barack-obama-5889576
Simmons got suspended because, as he was making his comments about Goodell, he said that he knew ESPN would have a problem with it and challenged them to discipline him. 

"I really hope somebody calls me or emails me and says I'm in trouble for anything I say about Roger Goodell. Because if one person says that to me, I'm going public. You leave me alone. The commissioner's a liar and I get to talk about that on my podcast. Thank you. … Please, call me and say I'm in trouble. I dare you."

So they did. 

Simmons got suspended because, as he was making his comments about Goodell, he said that he knew ESPN would have a problem with it and challenged them to discipline him. 

"I really hope somebody calls me or emails me and says I'm in trouble for anything I say about Roger Goodell. Because if one person says that to me, I'm going public. You leave me alone. The commissioner's a liar and I get to talk about that on my podcast. Thank you. … Please, call me and say I'm in trouble. I dare you."

So they did. 
Again...spoiled only child.

So they did. 
but he wasnt wrong

but he wasnt wrong
Doesn't matter. How would your boss/company react if you went on a rant and dared them to discipline you during a Zoom meeting tomorrow? 

Now imagine you did that to the general public, allowing all your clients and customers to hear it. 

I #### on Simmons plenty but that wasn't a race thing. That was an "everything great links back to the Celtics/Harden hate" take.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't we want the truth about Gooddell rather than the analysis of the power play and powers-at-be in a stupid corporate industry "news" product? I dunno, just seems like a stupid way to look at things in the grand scheme of it.

Sounds more like fodder for a daytime show than anything else. "Oooh. He said this. So she did this. And he did this. Ooh. Groan." [insert lovemaking scene with guy named Victor]

I've actually enjoyed the last several Cousin Sal episodes, but if you've enjoyed hating what a terrible parent Simmons is, this week's Parent Corner is an all timer.  The epitome of not guiding your child, not leading your child, just sort of....being around your child.

Also Cousin Sal's story is hilarious (but also kind of fits into the above).

Yeah, surprised he admits some of that stuff. 

I don't listen to the pod in the summer, but I do like having the Cousin Sal episodes back. 

The one good thing left on BS Podcast (Cousin Sal on Monday) has been ruined by adding the guy who SPEAKS IN ALL CAPS AND CAN'T REGULATE THE VOLUME OF HIS VOICE. :unsubscribe:

The one good think left on BS Podcast (Cousin Sal on Monday) has been ruined by adding the guy who SPEAKS IN ALL CAPS AND CAN'T REGULATE THE VOLUME OF HIS VOICE. :unsubscribe:
You forgot to mention the 20 pieces of gum that must be in his mouth. 

Does anyone enjoy him?  

The one good think left on BS Podcast (Cousin Sal on Monday) has been ruined by adding the guy who SPEAKS IN ALL CAPS AND CAN'T REGULATE THE VOLUME OF HIS VOICE. :unsubscribe:
You forgot to mention the 20 pieces of gum that must be in his mouth. 

Does anyone enjoy him?  
No.

Oh Christ is House on with Sal this week? GD it. 
House is the only person on The ***RINGER!!!*** podcast network that is more of an insufferable doosh than the founder.  I am pretty sure he has his own podcast talking about betting on golf.  Can you imagine?

No.

House is the only person on The ***RINGER!!!*** podcast network that is more of an insufferable doosh than the founder.  I am pretty sure he has his own podcast talking about betting on golf.  Can you imagine?
Literally cannot. When I get sent to hell, I’ll be listening to him all day. 

Oh great. He was on 5-6 weeks ago and it was the only Sal episode I didn’t listen to. He’s unbearable. 
I thought Drunk House was kinda funny. 

Also, hard to believe this is the same guy: 

J. Richard House is a Principal of Palisades Capital Advisors.

Previously, he was the head of the corporate finance and restructuring group at the Pension Benefit Guaranty Corporation, the federal corporation that guaranteespayment of basic pension benefits earned by 44 million American workers and retirees participating in over 27,500 private-sector defined benefit pension plans. 

As head of corporate finance & restructuring, Joseph led a group of approximately 80 financial analysts, actuaries and attorneys on all matters relating to risks to the federal pension insurance program posed by distressed companies and/or companies with significantly underfunded pension plans.  Josephoversaw the group’s monitoring and management of risk through institutional tracking of the largest pension exposures, as well as the department’s handling of hundreds of Chapter 11 and Chapter 7 cases, assessing the likelihood of insurable events and pursuing strategies for maximizing creditor recoveries on behalf of PBGC, where warranted.  While at PBGC, Joseph was integrally involved in several of the most prominent industrial, manufacturing and transportation restructurings of the past decade, including United Airlines, US Airways, Northwest Airlines, Delta Airlines, Delphi Auto Parts, General Motors and Chrysler.

Joseph has almost 20 years of experience as a lawyer and advocate in the areas of employee benefits, labor and corporate reorganizations.  Before joining PBGC in 2002, Joseph represented single and multiemployer pension and retiree health care plans, and the companies that sponsored such plans, as a private-practice attorney with Washington D.C. law firms.

Joseph received an AB in English (concentration in Philosophy) from the College of the Holy Cross and a Juris Doctor from the Catholic University of America.

Those three idiots were complaining that CNN didn't do enough to inform the viewers about all the mail in ballots and how they affected the reporting of the numbers we were seeing. 

Zow said:
I thought Drunk House was kinda funny. 

Also, hard to believe this is the same guy: 

J. Richard House is a Principal of Palisades Capital Advisors.

Previously, he was the head of the corporate finance and restructuring group at the Pension Benefit Guaranty Corporation, the federal corporation that guaranteespayment of basic pension benefits earned by 44 million American workers and retirees participating in over 27,500 private-sector defined benefit pension plans. 

As head of corporate finance & restructuring, Joseph led a group of approximately 80 financial analysts, actuaries and attorneys on all matters relating to risks to the federal pension insurance program posed by distressed companies and/or companies with significantly underfunded pension plans.  Josephoversaw the group’s monitoring and management of risk through institutional tracking of the largest pension exposures, as well as the department’s handling of hundreds of Chapter 11 and Chapter 7 cases, assessing the likelihood of insurable events and pursuing strategies for maximizing creditor recoveries on behalf of PBGC, where warranted.  While at PBGC, Joseph was integrally involved in several of the most prominent industrial, manufacturing and transportation restructurings of the past decade, including United Airlines, US Airways, Northwest Airlines, Delta Airlines, Delphi Auto Parts, General Motors and Chrysler.

Joseph has almost 20 years of experience as a lawyer and advocate in the areas of employee benefits, labor and corporate reorganizations.  Before joining PBGC in 2002, Joseph represented single and multiemployer pension and retiree health care plans, and the companies that sponsored such plans, as a private-practice attorney with Washington D.C. law firms.

Joseph received an AB in English (concentration in Philosophy) from the College of the Holy Cross and a Juris Doctor from the Catholic University of America.
It’s been about 8 years since I got out of the pension industry, but it was pretty widely known/believed that the PBGC was grossly underestimating liabilities and that they weren’t even close to being able to cover what they were supposed to cover. A lot of those restructurings were awful financially. 

I was hoping that, after this week’s parent corner anecdote, we’d finally get an admission from Bill that letting his son watch South Park at four years old in an attempt to “develop his sense of humor” was a huge mistake. 

Once again, I'm somehow surprised at how reprehensible of a father he is.  Not only does he allow his 12 year old son to be a crass and vulgar loser, he finds it funny.  At least Sal is still funny.

Once again, I'm somehow surprised at how reprehensible of a father he is.  Not only does he allow his 12 year old son to be a crass and vulgar loser, he finds it funny.  At least Sal is still funny.
He's going to (edit: drunkenly) hydroplane a Tesla into a tree and kill his girlfriend in a few years, isn't he?

Users who are viewing this thread