What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Bill Simmons Podcast (2 Viewers)

He sounds a bit like Trump:

"I had all of these people who wanted to [invest,] famous f-ing people," says Simmons. "But one of my goals was to have as few people in my life as possible who would be like, 'Why are you doing that? What's going on here?' " Looking ahead, he and Eric Weinberger, whom he recruited from the NFL Network to run the company, won't rule out taking on additional investors.

Got through about 10 minutes of Gladwell and pulled the rip cord. He's just too boring and too in love with himself. 

I think Simmons will be fine on his pre-taped show. He admits to not being a "performer" like John Oliver or Steven Colbert, so the live format is a no-go. 

I've only listened to a bit of the Gladwell one so far but I couldn't believe he said something like "it will really settle the talent vs practice debate" in response to Simmons questioning whether kids growing up now will be better players as they continue to just bomb long distance 3s in response to what they're seeing the Warriors do. Mother####er wrote an entire book based on the premise of 10,000 hours of practice = greatness. 

I was just listening to it this morning and I took away that Gladwell didn't know if the practice regiment of today's players was different than that of the prolific shooters of the 80's and 90's. Maybe Marc Price and Sedale Threatt used to practice 10,000 hours and we didn't know about it.  :shrug:

Dixon's agency got bought by WME/IMG a year or so ago for an undisclosed amount of money and Sal/Bill were going on during a podcast about trying to get the sale price out of him. At my old job I covered the WME/IMG merger so I had access to all the ongoing financials. I was wishing I was still there because I definitely would have known the price and 100% would have tried to sell that info to Sal. 

I've only listened to a bit of the Gladwell one so far but I couldn't believe he said something like "it will really settle the talent vs practice debate" in response to Simmons questioning whether kids growing up now will be better players as they continue to just bomb long distance 3s in response to what they're seeing the Warriors do. Mother####er wrote an entire book based on the premise of 10,000 hours of practice = greatness. 
Little off topic but Freakonomics recently ran a podcast with the academic who did the underlying research for the 10,000 hour thing, and the professor basically called Gladwell out for misrepresenting his research. Confirmed some thoughts I'd had about Gladwell's work. 

Think most take Gladwells' books as just a hunch that they tend to agree with or perhaps not.  Not the scientific method.    :shrug:

What HBO is trying to do with Simmons is try to create an ecosystem where you get all your sports/pop-culture info from.  That's why they have all these podcasts.

You eventually stick in HBO content wherever you can.  Drive viewers.

Problem is besides Simmons and 1600 the podcasts are laughable.  You got Mallory Rubin doing Game of Thrones and the NBA draft.  Anyone that is podcast savvy is not going to fall for that.  These are the people that know how to filter.  

Ryan/Greenwald for pop-culture are good.  Mays/Barnwell for NFL and Lowe for NBA.  That is the sweetspot.  ESPN had it.  Now HBO has ripped some of their talent and they are promoting Barnwell like they never did.  

Think most take Gladwells' books as just a hunch that they tend to agree with or perhaps not.  Not the scientific method.    :shrug:
yeah, most of his stuff is taking recent research and putting it into simplified, well-written layman's version. I think he's really good at this actually. But, if you want the full story with all of its detail and caveats, subscribe to the scientific journals.

Wow he's getting 7-9M a year. Holy crap. 
And it seems like he's already spent it all on The Ringer salaries.

This whole thing is going to crash and burn within 2 years. Simmons is at his best when he's doing podcasts and mailbags. He's not a TV guy.

And it seems like he's already spent it all on The Ringer salaries.

This whole thing is going to crash and burn within 2 years. Simmons is at his best when he's doing podcasts and mailbags. He's not a TV guy.
Also seems that the closer he gets to being a media emperor, the more apparent his dooshy characteristics become. Or maybe I'm just taking in too much of his product.

Also seems that the closer he gets to being a media emperor, the more apparent his dooshy characteristics become. Or maybe I'm just taking in too much of his product.
Most people in sports making seven figures wisely keep their homerism to themselves, if not lose it all together. I think it's fine (good, actually) that he's still a die-hard but he can't keep it out of his day to day, which hurts him. 

Most people in sports making seven figures wisely keep their homerism to themselves, if not lose it all together. I think it's fine (good, actually) that he's still a die-hard but he can't keep it out of his day to day, which hurts him. 
Homerism seems to have worked for him. 20 years ago he was writing a column for AOL-only and begging people on the AOL message boards to read him. Now he's one of the best known and highest paid sports media people.

Homerism seems to have worked for him. 20 years ago he was writing a column for AOL-only and begging people on the AOL message boards to read him. Now he's one of the best known and highest paid sports media people.
So are Skip Bayless and SAS. 

All power to him, but 20 years ago that guy would have written a second by second diary on AOL destroying everything the guy in that HBO promo was saying today. 

:goodposting:   I see it didn't take long for the honeymoon to end with HBO.  Within the first 2 minutes of Friday's podcast he was already complaining that HBO isn't advertising enough for his show. :lmao:   GG Simmons.

The non-Simmons NBA podcasts are insultingly terrible, like they're targeting tween girls. I generally like Simmons but these are embarrassing.
Yeah, I tried to listen to a couple of the NBA podcasts while traveling recently.  So bad.  Already unsubscribed on iTunes.

:goodposting:   I see it didn't take long for the honeymoon to end with HBO.  Within the first 2 minutes of Friday's podcast he was already complaining that HBO isn't advertising enough for his show. :lmao:   GG Simmons.
Pretty sure that was sarcasm. He's got two enormous billboards in Times Square which people have been giving him #### about. 

Pretty sure that was sarcasm. He's got two enormous billboards in Times Square which people have been giving him #### about. 
well,  :bag:  if that's the case.  Didn't sound that way to me, but I also didn't know about the giant TS billboards.

I think they might break the record for the most f bombs in a single episode of any show in HBO history. And The Sopranos was 60 minutes. 

At least it's true to the Simmons brand. 10 minutes on Deflategate, got an 18-1 Pats mention in there, multiple Bird references....

I think they might break the record for the most f bombs in a single episode of any show in HBO history. And The Sopranos was 60 minutes. 

At least it's true to the Simmons brand. 10 minutes on Deflategate, got an 18-1 Pats mention in there, multiple Bird references....
Just flipped on the TV in the hotel room and the first channel up was the last two minutes of this. Aflleck Brady Goodell ESPN Garnett. :lmao:

It was really really bad. Geez. 

And he stares at the camera with the wide-eyed look of a coke addict in front of a pile of blow. 

I'm kind of excited to see how bad this is.

FWIW I don't think the baseball channel's been terrible. The Ringer seems a good deal more fluffy than Grantland was, and I haven't been as interested in it.

No interest in watching this.  He's a good writer, albeit a bit long-winded, but an atrocious TV personality. 
This, I remember he did a couple skits back when he worked for Kimmel, turrible. Always feels very forced when he's in front of the camera, trying to get in as many clever quips as he can. Very unnatural  

Users who are viewing this thread