What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2018 MLB Regular Season Thread! Current thread batting average: .420 (3 Viewers)

Good Posting Judge

Footballguy
Some dude takes a shot at where the Top 15 FA's will go:

http://www.mlbdailydish.com/2015/9/19/9356737/2016-mlb-free-agent-signing-predictions

I think he's too high on Kazmir, just based on his age. Heyward-to-Detroit is interesting, probably wouldn't have happened with Dombrowski, but now who knows.

Given LA's money, I think they're going to get either Greinke, Price or Cueto, and probably aren't going to be locked in too hard on any one of them. Price might be slightly less attractive because their top two starters would be lefties, but he and Kershaw are obviously no slouches against right handed hitting.

I think Zobrist's realistic landing spots are LA, KC, CHC. I don't think KC can afford to lose Gordon, Cueto and Zobrist, get cheaper replacements, and then expect to not get overtaken in the Central.

I've heard Desmond-to-SD elsewhere too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, the closers look like they're almost going to be making as much in arb as they would in the open market. Or at least closer to what they would relative to everyone else. 13mm for Chapman! 6.5mm for Axford?!

On the other end of the spectrum are the defense-first guys like Jose Iglesias, projected at 1.5mm, or Forsythe at 3.3m, or Dyson at 1.7mm. Poor Kevin Kiermaier's going to be making peanuts when he's up.

I don't think the Cubs take Zobrist - they don't need to pay that for someone who will basically be a backup utility guy. Where's he going to start? You've already got 3 SS on your roster - Russel, Castro and Baez. With Schwarber and Soler at the corner OF spots, I just don't see where they put Zobrist. Even if they trade Castro - Baez will play 2B.

Now Price or Greinke to the Cubs? Yes, please. :yes:

They probably have the best collection of young talent the league has seen since those 1990s Indian teams and we all know how many championships they won

2016 Chicago Cubs: Too good for Ben Zobrist.
He's 35What he offers is position flexibility. Cubs only have two position players that don't have position flexability( Montero and Rizzo)

I'd rather they spend the money on pitching

Wrigley said:
RnR said:
He's 35What he offers is position flexibility. Cubs only have two position players that don't have position flexability( Montero and Rizzo)

I don't disagree with that assessment, but I find it disingenuous to act like he wouldn't be an asset and a welcomed addition if management decided to go that direction on a short-term contract. He's a good player.

Some dude takes a shot at where the Top 15 FA's will go:

http://www.mlbdailydish.com/2015/9/19/9356737/2016-mlb-free-agent-signing-predictions

I think he's too high on Kazmir, just based on his age. Heyward-to-Detroit is interesting, probably wouldn't have happened with Dombrowski, but now who knows.

Given LA's money, I think they're going to get either Greinke, Price or Cueto, and probably aren't going to be locked in too hard on any one of them. Price might be slightly less attractive because their top two starters would be lefties, but he and Kershaw are obviously no slouches against right handed hitting.

I think Zobrist's realistic landing spots are LA, KC, CHC. I don't think KC can afford to lose Gordon, Cueto and Zobrist, get cheaper replacements, and then expect to not get overtaken in the Central.

I've heard Desmond-to-SD elsewhere too.
Alex Gordon to the Nats makes a lot of sense.

Ian Desmond turning down a sure QO to take 1/$10 million from a borderline contender in a pitcher's park, not so much.

Wrigley said:
RnR said:

I don't disagree with that assessment, but I find it disingenuous to act like he wouldn't be an asset and a welcomed addition if management decided to go that direction on a short-term contract. He's a good player.
We agree that he's a good player.....just not at that price

I really think they'll try to get by with Schwarber in LF. His bat looks to be that good.

Wrigley said:
RnR said:

We agree that he's a good player.....just not at that price
Most free agents are paid too much.

Cubs main holes do seem to be sp depf and cf. The possibility of a Fat Kyle trade to the AL is pretty fascinating.
They have Almora and Alcantara that can play CF, two good options there going forward just not necessarily for 2016.

I think they have to try and at least play Schwarber some at catcher next year, that will give them plenty of flexibility. Bringing in a good platoon OFer makes some sense.

Cubs main holes do seem to be sp depf and cf. The possibility of a Fat Kyle trade to the AL is pretty fascinating.
They have Almora and Alcantara that can play CF, two good options there going forward just not necessarily for 2016. I think they have to try and at least play Schwarber some at catcher next year, that will give them plenty of flexibility. Bringing in a good platoon OFer makes some sense.
Coghlan seemed miffed that he didn't start the WC game, I am guessing he is out of there.

Toronto may have fewer holes outside of SP than any team in MLB: Their entire offense is back next year after Bautista and EE's very reasonable club options are picked up. Donaldson will get a lot in arbitration but still nowhere near what he'd make on the open market. Everyone in their pen is signed except Lowe and Hawkins, and they already claimed both Pat Venditte arms off waivers!

Flip side, their rotation needs a ton of help. Stroman's the only guy they probably have and feel good about atm. Dickey has an 12mm club option which is probably not a good idea. Hutchison's in arbitration years still, but not a guy you want to hang your hat on.

Yeah Toronto pitching holes are massive. Basically Stroman signed. Sanchez likely comes back to rotation and maybe you pencil in one of Estrada/Dickey coming back for 13-16ish a year?

There should be cash with increase in attendance, TV viewership and Buehrle/Romero off the books, but who knows with this ownership.

Optimum lineup for the Cubs next year includes moving Baez to 3B, having Bryant play LF, and making Schwarber the full-time DH.

Optimum lineup for the Cubs next year includes moving Baez to 3B, having Bryant play LF, and making Schwarber the full-time DH.
Actually, I thought Schwarber did a nice job on the double down the 3rd base line. He got there quick, made a good throw and missed him by an eyelash. The line drive was poorly played - but he has been okay in the OF this season. His bat is simply too good not to find him a position.

Honestly, I'd be okay with using Baez the way they have - a young Zobrist-like player (only Baez has more power). Baez can play 2b, SS or 3b - giving each of the 3 a day off every now and then. He can also come in as a defensive boost at 3rd late. They've even had Bryant play at 1b occasionally to give Rizzo a day off. Basically, you have 5 infielders - all of whom can hit. Bryant has also played some OF, so you can even start Baez at 3rd while Bryant gives Schawrber or Soler a day off.

There have been some rumors of Jason Heyward - he could play CF (although I'm good with Dex if they want to spend the money on pitching).

What kind of contract does Estrada get this offseason? One hand, I think he finished top 10 in ERA and was shockingly good all season long. On the other hand, his FIP and advanced numbers aren't great and he was aided by a .216 BABIP - but that is at least somewhat a function of his changeup. He's also 32.

Would you extend him the qualifying offer? Short but high money deal?(3 yr/$45 million ish). That's about where I would put him, no way I want more than 3 years but not sure he should have to accept a 1 year deal after being so good and pitchers much worse than him seem to get 10 million these days.

What kind of contract does Estrada get this offseason? One hand, I think he finished top 10 in ERA and was shockingly good all season long. On the other hand, his FIP and advanced numbers aren't great and he was aided by a .216 BABIP - but that is at least somewhat a function of his changeup. He's also 32.

Would you extend him the qualifying offer? Short but high money deal?(3 yr/$45 million ish). That's about where I would put him, no way I want more than 3 years but not sure he should have to accept a 1 year deal after being so good and pitchers much worse than him seem to get 10 million these days.
If I'm TOR, I QO him and make him a pretty unaggressive/borderline-insulting offer, and let someone else bet on that low ERA and get the draft pick. Ideally he needs to be in a big park with a good OF defense.

If there's little market for him, which is possible if signing him means losing a pick, I'd consider bringing him back on a fairly reasonable deal.

Thank God the NL doesn't have the DH.
Yeah because everyone loves walking a .230 hitter with two outs to get to the pitcher.
Pitchers can hit. If the DH was removed from the AL, pitchers averages would be higher than what they are.
So all the NL pitchers aren't trying as hard as they can because the AL has the DH, or all of the good hitting pitchers are being hoarded by AL teams?

Users who are viewing this thread