Good Posting Judge

2017 MLB Regular Season Thread! Tall Strikeout Machine Steals Ball From Entitled Man-Baby

5,639 posts in this topic

Congrats to the Fukuoka Softbank Hawks on their second consecutive NPB title. They beat the Yakult Swallows in 5 games.

Former MLB pitcher Dennis Sarfate had an outstanding season as the Hawks' closer. 41 SV (139 game season), 1.11 ERA, 0.63 WHIP, 14.2 SO/9. Their top hitter was CF Yuki Yanagita (.363/.469/.631) but Fukuoka has never posted a player as a MLB FA.

Diamondbacks 3rd base coach Andy Green hired as the new Padres manager.

I got nuthin :shrug:

Diamondbacks 3rd base coach Andy Green hired as the new Padres manager.

I got nuthin :shrug:

Always bet on 0 / 00?

Michael Hill, current President of baseball ops, assuming GM duties for the Fish. I think he's kind of a doofus?

Michael Hill, current President of baseball ops, assuming GM duties for the Fish. I think he's kind of a doofus?

He was an assistant to Beinfest and has been Jennings' boss for the past year. It's an in-house reassignment so I wouldn't expect any major changes. I don't really know what that means because the Marlins recent personnel decisions seem tactically driven without any apparent long-term strategy. Are they trying to build their organization from the ground floor? are they trying to compete now? who can tell? Some of their deals have worked out in isolation but the team seems constrained financially and talent-wise to topping out around the .500 mark.

Hill is African and Cuban-American which makes him the highest ranking minority in a MLB front office position so there's that :shrug:

He was an assistant to Beinfest and has been Jennings' boss for the past year. It's an in-house reassignment so I wouldn't expect any major changes. I don't really know what that means because the Marlins recent personnel decisions seem tactically driven without any apparent long-term strategy. Are they trying to build their organization from the ground floor? are they trying to compete now? who can tell? Some of their deals have worked out in isolation but the team seems constrained financially and talent-wise to topping out around the .500 mark.

Hill is African and Cuban-American which makes him the highest ranking minority in a MLB front office position so there's that :shrug:

I imagine that Loria's pretty fickle, too. He can't be easy to work for.

The mid-season Latos etc. deal was just a pure salary dump. They gave up a comp balance pick that was better than any of the minor leaguers they got from LA!

Heaney deal was also horrible, obviously. Feel bad for the six Fish fans that are left. But hey two WS!

The mid-season Latos etc. deal was just a pure salary dump. They gave up a comp balance pick that was better than any of the minor leaguers they got from LA!

Heaney deal was also horrible, obviously. Feel bad for the six Fish fans that are left. But hey two WS!

The Heaney deal returned Dee Gordon who was a 4.9 WAR player this year and is cost-controlled through 2018. He's a whole lot more valuable than a one year rental of Howie Kendrick. The Marlins' organizational depth is at pitcher and you have to put some major league talent on the field. I like DeSclafani but I think the Latos deal is defensible from the Marlins' perspective. Buy low on a distressed asset and hope he brings a bigger return at the deadline. It's basically a cut-rate version of the Beane/Holliday gambit and worked out about as well.

For all Loria's flakiness, his front office has been relatively stable. There have only been three GMs since he bought the club. Larry Beinfest, Jennings and Hill were all inside hires. Their oddball decisions have been with on-field leadership. The hiring of Trader Jack worked out great and Ozzie Guillen was a disaster.

ETA: they sure gave Joe Girardi the quick hook

Edited by Eephus
1 person likes this

The Heaney deal returned Dee Gordon who was a 4.9 WAR player this year and is cost-controlled through 2018. He's a whole lot more valuable than a one year rental of Howie Kendrick. The Marlins' organizational depth is at pitcher and you have to put some major league talent on the field. I like DeSclafani but I think the Latos deal is defensible from the Marlins' perspective. Buy low on a distressed asset and hope he brings a bigger return at the deadline. It's basically a cut-rate version of the Beane/Holliday gambit and worked out about as well.

For all Loria's flakiness, his front office has been relatively stable. There have only been three GMs since he bought the club. Larry Beinfest, Jennings and Hill were all inside hires. Their oddball decisions have been with on-field leadership. The hiring of Trader Jack worked out great and Ozzie Guillen was a disaster.

ETA: they sure gave Joe Girardi the quick hook

If Gordon cracks 4.5 WAR again next year I'll eat my shoe. Don't think that is sustainable with an outlier UZR and an outlier BABIP, esp a guy who doesn't hit the ball especially hard.

Re: Loria's flakiness, I meant more in terms of how he's constantly adding/subtracting resources, to where his teams are alternately spending lavishly or doing nothing. They didn't ship out Latos for talent per se, they dangled him to get rid of terrible Morse. Other low-payroll teams typically don't have to do things like this, because they wouldn't have splurged on a Morse in the first place.

Yikes, Michael Morse. I'll always :wub: that big lunkhead for 2014 but it was terrible contract for a poor player.

If Michael Hill had anything to do with that deal, you're right, I'm wrong and Hill is an idiot.

Yikes, Michael Morse. I'll always :wub: that big lunkhead for 2014 but it was terrible contract for a poor player.

If Michael Hill had anything to do with that deal, you're right, I'm wrong and Hill is an idiot.

I don't remember what it was that made me think he was kind of dopey. He did insult Marlins fans by openly saying he hoped they were sophisticated enough to understand Miami's moves.

I don't remember what it was that made me think he was kind of dopey. He did insult Marlins fans by openly saying he hoped they were sophisticated enough to understand Miami's moves.

“I would hope our fans are educated enough to see what we’re doing here.” - quote from Hill after their deadline deals. I don't know the full context of the comment. It's probably technically correct but the "I would hope" part makes him come off like a ####.

Sounds like your kind of guy.

“I would hope our fans are educated enough to see what we’re doing here.” - quote from Hill after their deadline deals. I don't know the full context of the comment. It's probably technically correct but the "I would hope" part makes him come off like a ####.

My sources say that Ruben Amaro advised him on those comments.

Not enough bad things can happen to Jeffrey Loria.

And the same goes for his midget former stepson, David Samson.

The Rockies pass on Justin Morneau's 2016 option. They got one good year out of two but his injury foiled the opportunity to flip him at the deadline.

He can still hit righties (even at sea level) if he can stay in the lineup and could probably be a cheap DH/1B type for team like Seattle or San Diego.

Nats lowballed Black.

I THINK THAT'S DUSTY BAKER'S THEME MUSIC! :excited:

1 person likes this

Nats lowballed Black.

I THINK THAT'S DUSTY BAKER'S THEME MUSIC! :excited:

Ugh

Phils claim Dan Otero off waivers. Klentak pops his cherry!

Lind option picked up by MIL.

Edited by Good Posting Judge

The Red Sox exercised their $13M option on Clay Buchholz. He was effective last year when healthy but an inconsistent 31 year old pitcher coming off elbow problems is far from a sure thing. Boston has money to burn and needs starting pitching in the worst way so this move makes more sense for them than it would for other clubs.

The Red Sox exercised their $13M option on Clay Buchholz. He was effective last year when healthy but an inconsistent 31 year old pitcher coming off elbow problems is far from a sure thing. Boston has money to burn and needs starting pitching in the worst way so this move makes more sense for them than it would for other clubs.

He's been rumored to be on the block, either way I think it wouldn't make sense to let him go (he has a near-identical team option for '17). I'm not sure what they'd be looking for in return, given that Boston doesn't have many areas of need in their lineup, assuming they're going to hide Hanley at 1B next year.

The BABIP monsters got him early last year for the first month of the season, then he went on a pretty strong run through July until he strained his elbow.

He's been rumored to be on the block, either way I think it wouldn't make sense to let him go (he has a near-identical team option for '17). I'm not sure what they'd be looking for in return, given that Boston doesn't have many areas of need in their lineup, assuming they're going to hide Hanley at 1B next year.

The BABIP monsters got him early last year for the first month of the season, then he went on a pretty strong run through July until he strained his elbow.

I read the rumors about Buchholz as a trade chip and found it to be a head scratcher as well. The Red Sox need starting pitching, more starting pitching and then maybe relief pitching. Challenge trades involving players at the same position are pretty rare.

If Buchholz is healthy and decent, the Red Sox need him more than anybody they would get in return. If he's neither healthy or decent or only one of the two, he has negligible trade value.

I read the rumors about Buchholz as a trade chip and found it to be a head scratcher as well. The Red Sox need starting pitching, more starting pitching and then maybe relief pitching. Challenge trades involving players at the same position are pretty rare.

If Buchholz is healthy and decent, the Red Sox need him more than anybody they would get in return. If he's neither healthy or decent or only one of the two, he has negligible trade value.

I looked around and the Buchholz trade chatter seems to be based in nothing but speculation, and the fact that other teams are "interested", which really doesn't mean anything. So who knows.

Byung-ho Park posted. Bids are due this Friday, then Nexen decides the next Monday if they'll take the top bid.

The winning team then has 30 days to negotiate a contract, with a refund of their posting fee if they can't, and Park then returns to Korea.

Byung-ho's numbers are spectacular but they're much less impressive in the context of the KBO's inflated offensive stats. His 53 HRs lose a bit of luster when you consider that Eric Thames hit 47. Byung's lack of defensive flexibility makes him less valuable than Jung Ho Kang but the latter's success this year will probably help the market. Kang's deal was 4/$11M which is peanuts in MLB terms. I could easily see Byung getting interest from teams like Seattle or the Oaklands.

1 person likes this

I'm pretty sure Oakland will submit a competitive bid, as he obviously fits a need and it fits in with their strategy of trying to strike early in the market.

Dae-ho Lee is also a FA. A free agent free agent, no post necessary. He's a ####### massive Korean dude who's had four pretty solid years in the NPB with Orix and Softbank, after playing for Lotte for 10 years in the KBO. But he's 33, so isn't likely to get a ton of years.

Seattle too, surely. Colorado? Pittsburgh? Washington? Baltimore? Besides Davis, the 1B crop is pretty woolly.

Royals decline their options on Rios (12.5) and Guthrie (10). It's amazing that those existed in the first place.

1 person likes this

Royals decline their options on Rios (12.5) and Guthrie (10). It's amazing that those existed in the first place.

Guthrie's option buyout was pretty large. The renegotiation last year looks like it was really just deferring money from 2014 to 2016

3 years/$25M (2013-15)

re-signed by Kansas City as a free agent 11/20/12

13:$5M, 14:$11M, 15:$9M

deal restructured 1/13/14, reducing 2014 salary from $11M to $8M and adding a 2016 mutual option for $10M ($3.2M buyout)

I'm pretty sure Oakland will submit a competitive bid, as he obviously fits a need and it fits in with their strategy of trying to strike early in the market.

Dae-ho Lee is also a FA. A free agent free agent, no post necessary. He's a ####### massive Korean dude who's had four pretty solid years in the NPB with Orix and Softbank, after playing for Lotte for 10 years in the KBO. But he's 33, so isn't likely to get a ton of years.

Seattle too, surely. Colorado? Pittsburgh? Washington? Baltimore? Besides Davis, the 1B crop is pretty woolly.

Lee's production in Japan is more impressive than it would be in his native Korea. Average R/G in Japan is much less than the ridiculous 5.5 R/G mark in the KBO although Fukuoka's 4.55 R/G led NPB by a fair margin.

It's hard to tell much from YouTube videos but I'm skeptical about this guy. He's a big guy with long swing who seems like he tries to pull everything. I wonder about his ability to do that successfully with big league pitching. But how can you not root for a 300 lb Korean nicknamed Big Boy? I'm still hoping for an American return for Japhet Amador who looks like he's put on weight since we last saw him in the Astros organization.

Lee's production in Japan is more impressive than it would be in his native Korea. Average R/G in Japan is much less than the ridiculous 5.5 R/G mark in the KBO although Fukuoka's 4.55 R/G led NPB by a fair margin.

It's hard to tell much from YouTube videos but I'm skeptical about this guy. He's a big guy with long swing who seems like he tries to pull everything. I wonder about his ability to do that successfully with big league pitching. But how can you not root for a 300 lb Korean nicknamed Big Boy? I'm still hoping for an American return for Japhet Amador who looks like he's put on weight since we last saw him in the Astros organization.

His walk/strikeout rates are pretty good! But his "American retread guy who's hit a similar amount of HR this year" comp is Brandon Laird with 34, Lee had 31.

Is Yuki Yanagita Japan's Mike Trout? Good lord what a year: http://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.cgi?id=yanagi000yuk

Edited by Good Posting Judge

Looks like the Alexei Ramirez era just came to an end in Chcago

White Sox decline $10M option on Alexei Ramirez. Bump Tim Anderson on your cheat sheets.

Based on this recent Sickels article, Anderson sounds a bit like a younger version of Ramirez: aggressive RH hitter with above average pop for his position but poor K/BB ratios, toolsy but erratic glove. He has a higher long-term ceiling than the aging Ramirez but a higher 2016 bust possibility.

The Sox got good value out of him. 22.6 WAR over 8 years at a relatively low aggregate cost of around $40M. He never developed much plate discipline and his power fluctuated quite a bit but his ability to stay in the lineup shouldn't be underestimated.

Shawon Dunston is B-R's age 33 comp for Ramirez, which seems pretty good in my mind's eye.

I'll wait for Pickles to chime in

1 person likes this

I'll wait for Pickles to chime in

If I had to watch him every day, I'm sure I'd hate Ramirez. Just having him on my fantasy team was no picnic. But taken as a whole, his MLB career has been pretty decent.

The Sox got good value out of him. 22.6 WAR over 8 years at a relatively low aggregate cost of around $40M. He never developed much plate discipline and his power fluctuated quite a bit but his ability to stay in the lineup shouldn't be underestimated.

Shawon Dunston is B-R's age 33 comp for Ramirez, which seems pretty good in my mind's eye.

He was a good fielder, but his UZR has been declining steadily, which you'd expect of a middle infielder in his 30's.

The notable crop of SS FA is Rollins, Asdrubal, Ramirez and Desmond. I guess Desmond's the best of that lot?

Yeah, those seemed unnecessary.

I'd like to think those funds (minus buyout obligations) are being diverted to the Pay Alex Gordon Fund, but someone will come along and offer him more than the Royals' max.

If Gordon re-signs, he stays in LF and Paulo Orlando is the new starter in RF.

Fanbase seems heavily in favor of keeping Gordon and Zobrist. Indifferent on Cueto, figuring someone will offer him an obscene amount of money.

Alex Gordon declines player option for 2016, becomes free agent.

Royals window is going to close pretty quick, here is the first piece.

:shrug:

Thought it closed after last year, but here we are.

:shrug:

Thought it closed after last year, but here we are.

Why? Everyone from last years team was coming back. They were the AL favorites in Vegas IIRC.