Good Posting Judge

2018 MLB Regular Season Thread! Current thread batting average: .420

7,239 posts in this topic

Baltimore is unwilling to spend like $3 million (or even less) on international free agents but once another team does so, they're willing to trade Manny ####### Machado for one. Do I have that right?

2 people like this

24 minutes ago, Northern Voice said:

Baltimore is unwilling to spend like $3 million (or even less) on international free agents but once another team does so, they're willing to trade Manny ####### Machado for one. Do I have that right?

Just be happy they play the Blue Jays 19 times per year

1 person likes this

That’s a decent return for Manny. Diaz is close to being major league ready and the prize. 

Not getting Gavin Lux was a loss, Kremer looks like a back of the rotation guy and the rest are ????. 

Bannon is an onbase machine but an overachiever to this point. I can see him being the sleeper in this trade. 

1 person likes this

Baltimore could have gotten more last offseason but it's a decent return for a half-season of Machado.  The Dodgers organization has been better than the O's when it comes to prospect development.

Right now, Diaz looks like a CF bat but without a CF glove.  He's a Cuban 21 so there's room to grow in both areas. 

Kremer has performed in hitter's environments in college and the minors.  Double TINSTAAPP for minor leaguers without top shelf stuff.

I don't know what to make of Bannon because you can't trust Cal league numbers.

Zach Pop has a cool name.  I hope he makes it because of that.

1 person likes this

I came close to dropping Diaz in Serious Biz a couple times last year but resisted the urge. He was pretty buried in LA, has a much better shot in Baltimore so I'm excited about that. :coffee: 

2 minutes ago, Kraft... said:

I came close to dropping Diaz in Serious Biz a couple times last year but resisted the urge. He was pretty buried in LA, has a much better shot in Baltimore so I'm excited about that. :coffee: 

He could be a decent real-life player if he can handle CF but I don't see much fantasy potential. 

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, Eephus said:

He could be a decent real-life player if he can handle CF but I don't see much fantasy potential. 

I’m wondering if his skill set might play up the further he goes. I was surprised he homered twice in the futures game, the second one I had to catch the name rounding 1st because I didn’t know who was up. 

He seems like a fairly high floor guy and an every day player. Maybe the Cuban Nick Markakis? O’s Fans would love that. 

12 hours ago, Eephus said:

don't rain on my parade :angry:

Wow, Mejia going from Cleveland to San Diego in a deal for Hand. 

1 person likes this

11 hours ago, Doctor Detroit said:

I’m wondering if his skill set might play up the further he goes. I was surprised he homered twice in the futures game, the second one I had to catch the name rounding 1st because I didn’t know who was up. 

He seems like a fairly high floor guy and an every day player. Maybe the Cuban Nick Markakis? O’s Fans would love that. 

His floor is the Cuban Austin Hays

7 minutes ago, Northern Voice said:

That’s a lot to pay for a reliever. Already a better package than o’s got for Manny, 

1 person likes this

7 minutes ago, Northern Voice said:

If Cleveland is relatively healthy, they'll be a formidable playoff team.

Just now, Doctor Detroit said:

That’s a lot to pay for a reliever. Already a better package than o’s got for Manny, 

3 1/2 years of team control vs. 2 1/2 months.

2 people like this

11 minutes ago, Northern Voice said:

Wow insane

A very nice piece of business for Preller.  The Padres picked up Hand from Miami on waivers at the beginning of 2016, got 2 1/2 quality seasons out of him and flipped him for a prospect.

Pundits don't seem to think Mejia will stick at Catcher. Question is will his bat be good enough for a corner IF or OF spot, DH not an option in SD. I'm a believer but time will tell :popcorn: 

Based on the lack of trust they've extended towards him despite the obvious holes in the OF, moving Mejia for help now seemed inevitable.  The question was just if it would be for a controllable bullpen arm or a CF.  There's more of the former, so this makes a ton of sense.  I'm guessing Jank gets demoted to 4th OF and Mejia's slotting into one of the corners.  With him gone I'm thinking Cleveland will try to make a move like they did in acquiring Jay Bruce last year - give up nothing for an expiring bat they can stash in RF and slide into the 7th spot in the order then deal with Naquin or Zimmer in CF.

I wonder if there's another bullpen move though.

7 minutes ago, Kraft... said:

Pundits don't seem to think Mejia will stick at Catcher. Question is will his bat be good enough for a corner IF or OF spot, DH not an option in SD. I'm a believer but time will tell :popcorn: 

I don't think Cleveland did him any favors by moving Mejia around defensively.  I get that they were trying to find ways for him to immediately help the club at the big league level but when you have a 22 year old semi-elite prospect, I think you need to give him every opportunity to succeed as a catcher.

19 minutes ago, Eephus said:

3 1/2 years of team control vs. 2 1/2 months.

As much as I wanted this team to do something short sighted and be the highest bidder for Machado, it never made much sense given how this team operates and the makeup of the current roster.  They need to patch some holes, but they're either going to do it for controllable players or limit spending to a fringe guy for an expiring contract.

1 person likes this

I didn't understand why CLE would have interest in Machado, given that he only wanted to play SS.  You already have Lindor there, and I don't see you moving him to any other position.  Machado would not have moved to 3B, he said so himself.  So throwing prospects away to chance Machado for a short-term rental is very short-sighted IMO.  This deal made more sense by bringing in Hand and Cimber for Meija.  Meija wants to catch, and he wasn't going to get time in CLE.  The FO moved him for long-term controllable assets.  CLE received 2 solid BP arms and a good option in Hand to replace Allen after this season.  CLE also has additional prospects to still go get another hitter to shore up RF - if not even add yet another BP arm.  I like this trade and happy it happened as quickly as it did.

32 minutes ago, MAC_32 said:

Based on the lack of trust they've extended towards him despite the obvious holes in the OF, moving Mejia for help now seemed inevitable.  The question was just if it would be for a controllable bullpen arm or a CF.  There's more of the former, so this makes a ton of sense.  I'm guessing Jank gets demoted to 4th OF and Mejia's slotting into one of the corners.  With him gone I'm thinking Cleveland will try to make a move like they did in acquiring Jay Bruce last year - give up nothing for an expiring bat they can stash in RF and slide into the 7th spot in the order then deal with Naquin or Zimmer in CF.

I wonder if there's another bullpen move though.

Im thinking Adam Jones fits them nicely

4 minutes ago, shadyridr said:

Friend of mine just mentioned him in a group text and...you're both right.  Wouldn't even necessarily be a 7 hole guy, could argue he fits in the 3 hole then slide Jose, Parrot, Yonder, and Kipnis back.  May not want to disrupt what's been working though.

Reads like I'm wrong about Mejia though.  I figured the ship had sailed on catcher, but I'm guessing the slanted news I've been fed contributed to my thoughts clouding on him.  If San Diego is going to give him a shot at developing into a catcher then he's at best a September call-up and maybe not a good bet to open 2019 with the team, yes?

Edited by MAC_32

1 minute ago, MAC_32 said:

Reads like I'm wrong about Mejia though.  I figured the ship had sailed on catcher, but I'm guessing the slanted news I've been fed contributed to my thoughts clouding on him.  If San Diego is going to give him a shot at developing into a catcher than he's at best a September call-up and not a good bet to open 2019 with the team, yes?

That's the way I'd play it if I ran the Padres.  The team is rooted to the bottom of the NL West but the organization is loaded with talent at the high A and AA levels.  There's no huge rush to get him to the bigs.

Use the rest of the MiLB season and maybe part of next year to see if Mejia can handle catching.  He seems like he has the tools but converting them to skills is tougher for catchers than any other position.

1 hour ago, shadyridr said:

They should trade for Kevin Pillar. 

Please, someone trade for Kevin Pillar. 

1 person likes this

Mejia isn’t really an exciting addition for the Padres unless he catches just because of the depth in their system. Hosmer is blocking Naylor at 1B, there’s Villanueva and Hudson Potts at 3B, and in the OF they’ve got Myers signed through 2022 and a ton of young guys. No guarantee he can force his way into the lineup at any of those positions, so I assume he’ll get every opportunity to stick behind the plate.

14 minutes ago, Spartans Rule said:

Mejia isn’t really an exciting addition for the Padres unless he catches just because of the depth in their system. Hosmer is blocking Naylor at 1B, there’s Villanueva and Hudson Potts at 3B, and in the OF they’ve got Myers signed through 2022 and a ton of young guys. No guarantee he can force his way into the lineup at any of those positions, so I assume he’ll get every opportunity to stick behind the plate.

I am not all that familiar with Mejia but if I'm reading this right, his path to the majors was blocked by Yan Gomes, 30+ year old Gomes who is barely replacement level and soon to be 30 year old Roberto Perez who is probably below replacement level.  If this guy was such a sure fire prospect I'd think he'd fetch more, no?

And even though the Padres my be stocked with lots of young guys - but I mean I'd like to see if they have any GOOD young guys.  Team is in last place as usual, going nowhere fast, yet still throwing out the likes of Freddy Galvis and his 613 ops every day.  It's not like Jose Pirela is any kind of prospect.  Hunter Renfroe is a fistful of Meh.  Margot still young enough that he may develop into something decent, but at present it's not like he's a difference maker or even an every day player.  Myers, Hosmer, Villanueva and maybe Hedges in my eyes are really the only every day players on that roster right now.  I'm not sure what else Padres have in the pipe, but let's see it.  I think they could have gotten more for Hand, but considering they got him for nothing it's some decent business.

1 person likes this

Hearing the Padres might be dealing Yates away too.  Can't wait for the Craig Stammen closer era to begin! :towelwave:

It would be a real ####### tragedy if Dave Roberts told us who's he's going to pull 4-5 batters too early over the next 3 days. 

14 minutes ago, guru_007 said:

I am not all that familiar with Mejia but if I'm reading this right, his path to the majors was blocked by Yan Gomes, 30+ year old Gomes who is barely replacement level and soon to be 30 year old Roberto Perez who is probably below replacement level.  If this guy was such a sure fire prospect I'd think he'd fetch more, no?

And even though the Padres my be stocked with lots of young guys - but I mean I'd like to see if they have any GOOD young guys.  Team is in last place as usual, going nowhere fast, yet still throwing out the likes of Freddy Galvis and his 613 ops every day.  It's not like Jose Pirela is any kind of prospect.  Hunter Renfroe is a fistful of Meh.  Margot still young enough that he may develop into something decent, but at present it's not like he's a difference maker or even an every day player.  Myers, Hosmer, Villanueva and maybe Hedges in my eyes are really the only every day players on that roster right now.  I'm not sure what else Padres have in the pipe, but let's see it.  I think they could have gotten more for Hand, but considering they got him for nothing it's some decent business.

With the addition of Mejia, San Diego has ten players on BA's Top 100 prospects list which is more than any other organization.

2. Fernando Tatis Jr. 19. MacKenzie Gore 23. Adrian Morejon 24. Francisco Mejia 32. Luis Urias 63. Chris Paddack 75. Logan Allen 78. Michel Baez 93. Cal Quantrill 94. Josh Naylor

Obviously, a lot of things can happen between A ball and MLB but Hosmer signing notwithstanding, their planning horizon is a few years away.  Mejia seems like a decent return for a guy they picked up off the scrap heap two years ago.

1 minute ago, scoobus said:

So are they giving up on Hedges?

His defense is good enough for him to keep a big league job but his bat seems better suited to be a backup backstop

3 people like this

Joe Morgan is of the opinion that analytics has never won the World Series. 

Ian Happ on the mound

3 hours ago, Kraft... said:

Willie Calhoun is up, for how long depends on injuries but he's up! paging @Doctor Detroit and @Bogart

I dropped him two weeks ago, #### that guy. 

Oakland getting Familia unless either team channels their inner Baltimore and objects to medicals. Expected to be official tomorrow. 

17 minutes ago, Hilts said:

Oakland getting Familia unless either team channels their inner Baltimore and objects to medicals. Expected to be official tomorrow. 

Oakland probably loses five straight and deals him to Cubs for a better prospect than they got from the Mets.