Good Posting Judge

2018 MLB Regular Season Thread! Current thread batting average: .420

7,239 posts in this topic

Optimum lineup for the Cubs next year includes moving Baez to 3B, having Bryant play LF, and making Schwarber the full-time DH.

Actually, I thought Schwarber did a nice job on the double down the 3rd base line. He got there quick, made a good throw and missed him by an eyelash. The line drive was poorly played - but he has been okay in the OF this season. His bat is simply too good not to find him a position.

Honestly, I'd be okay with using Baez the way they have - a young Zobrist-like player (only Baez has more power). Baez can play 2b, SS or 3b - giving each of the 3 a day off every now and then. He can also come in as a defensive boost at 3rd late. They've even had Bryant play at 1b occasionally to give Rizzo a day off. Basically, you have 5 infielders - all of whom can hit. Bryant has also played some OF, so you can even start Baez at 3rd while Bryant gives Schawrber or Soler a day off.

There have been some rumors of Jason Heyward - he could play CF (although I'm good with Dex if they want to spend the money on pitching).

What kind of contract does Estrada get this offseason? One hand, I think he finished top 10 in ERA and was shockingly good all season long. On the other hand, his FIP and advanced numbers aren't great and he was aided by a .216 BABIP - but that is at least somewhat a function of his changeup. He's also 32.

Would you extend him the qualifying offer? Short but high money deal?(3 yr/$45 million ish). That's about where I would put him, no way I want more than 3 years but not sure he should have to accept a 1 year deal after being so good and pitchers much worse than him seem to get 10 million these days.

What kind of contract does Estrada get this offseason? One hand, I think he finished top 10 in ERA and was shockingly good all season long. On the other hand, his FIP and advanced numbers aren't great and he was aided by a .216 BABIP - but that is at least somewhat a function of his changeup. He's also 32.

Would you extend him the qualifying offer? Short but high money deal?(3 yr/$45 million ish). That's about where I would put him, no way I want more than 3 years but not sure he should have to accept a 1 year deal after being so good and pitchers much worse than him seem to get 10 million these days.

If I'm TOR, I QO him and make him a pretty unaggressive/borderline-insulting offer, and let someone else bet on that low ERA and get the draft pick. Ideally he needs to be in a big park with a good OF defense.

If there's little market for him, which is possible if signing him means losing a pick, I'd consider bringing him back on a fairly reasonable deal.

Optimum lineup for the Cubs next year includes moving Baez to 3B, having Bryant play LF, and making Schwarber the full-time DH.

Thank God the NL doesn't have the DH.

Yeah because everyone loves walking a .230 hitter with two outs to get to the pitcher.

Bryant will be in CF

Mattingly wait

Gonna miss that guy.

Best case scenario is the Dodgers hire Dusty Baker to replace him.

Yeah because everyone loves walking a .230 hitter with two outs to get to the pitcher.

Pitchers can hit. If the DH was removed from the AL, pitchers averages would be higher than what they are.

Pitchers can hit. If the DH was removed from the AL, pitchers averages would be higher than what they are.

So all the NL pitchers aren't trying as hard as they can because the AL has the DH, or all of the good hitting pitchers are being hoarded by AL teams?

So all the NL pitchers aren't trying as hard as they can because the AL has the DH, or all of the good hitting pitchers are being hoarded by AL teams?

it's going to be a long off-season

1 person likes this

I just want his position on record. ;)

Mattingly wait

Gonna miss that guy.

Best case scenario is the Dodgers hire Dusty Baker to replace him.

What if Dusty's become an analytical savant in his down-time? I guess weirder things have happened?

Also never forget that Dusty said that high-OBP guys who were slow "clog up the bases." I really hope he's coming back.

Also never forget that Dusty said that high-OBP guys who were slow "clog up the bases." I really hope he's coming back.

Johnny B is the only managerial candidate who smoked a joint with Jimi Hendrix

As a Cubs fan, I also hope Dusty comes back to manage any team in the NL...except the Cubs. That's always fun to watch.

"Hey, ummm...Mr. Baker, our starting pitcher's throwing arm just fell off...after throwing his 147th pitch."

"Yeah, maybe we should get somebody warming up in the pen..."

He might be a great guy, but he sure can destroy a pitching staff like nobody's business.

Ummm. The Red Sox are hiring Ruben Amaro Jr to be their 1st base coach.

:lmao:

Do we know anything about Klentak?

Nats job is apparently down to Black and Baker. I think it would be fairly surprising if it's not Black, he seems like a pretty solid manager who took the fall for Preller's misdeeds.

Nats job is apparently down to Black and Baker. I think it would be fairly surprising if it's not Black, he seems like a pretty solid manager who took the fall for Preller's misdeeds.

Black and Matt Williams both played for Dusty with the Giants. Black seems to be pretty well respected in spite of very sporadic success with San Diego. He took over a playoff team and held his job through their collapse a couple years later. The Padres closed strong but lost the NL West on last Sunday of the 2010 season and haven't been near .500 since. His career managerial record is 64 games under .500 over 1362 games. There's no indication that he ever smoked a joint with Jimi Hendrix either.

Black and Matt Williams both played for Dusty with the Giants. Black seems to be pretty well respected in spite of very sporadic success with San Diego. He took over a playoff team and held his job through their collapse a couple years later. The Padres closed strong but lost the NL West on last Sunday of the 2010 season and haven't been near .500 since. His career managerial record is 64 games under .500 over 1362 games. There's no indication that he ever smoked a joint with Jimi Hendrix either.

Counterpoint: Black kind of seems to grasp the basic underpinnings of how baseball works.

Counterpoint: Black kind of seems to grasp the basic underpinnings of how baseball works.

Keep the clubhouse together and motivated. Score more runs. Win more games. Spit a lot.

Keep the clubhouse together and motivated. Score more runs. Win more games. Spit a lot.

Above you pointed out the Padres unimpressive record as a mark against Black.

I don't think they can do much, but the difference between the best and worst managers certainly has to be at least a few wins. And some of Baker's philosophies in practice have been recklessly, negligently bad.

Black vs Baker is the ultimate test of whether you give managers credit for results or not

Black vs Baker is the ultimate test of whether you give managers credit for results or not

I think their influence is the smallest of all the major sports. Probably by a good stretch.

That said, with the market value of one "WAR" being around $8mm now, it makes sense to splurge on a manager that makes good decisions and -- if they're not going to win you any extra games -- at least won't lose you any.

Matt Williams lost more games in the clubhouse than he did from the dugout.

And somehow, Ned Yost is going to his second consecutive World Series.

Torii Hunter retiring.

Torii Hunter retiring.

So who's the poster boy for MLB homophobes now?

Hunter leaves the game with exactly 50.0 rWAR; more than the usual examples of the worst Hall of Fame OFs (e.g. Ross Youngs, Jim Rice). Surprisingly (to me), his advanced fielding stats are mediocre for a guy who was a perennial Gold Glove (3.3 total dWAR)(.

Hunter just doesn't pass the sniff test as a Hall of Famer. He didn't get much MVP or All Star recognition, never finished top 5 in any major offensive category and spent much of his career as the second best player on his team He is a teammate bridge from Terry Steinbach and Otis Nixon to Byron Buxton and Mike Trout. He played with Molitor as a teammate and for him as a manager. Hunter also probably had a gay teammate at some point in his long career without any irreparable harm from it.

Torii Hunter retiring.

So who's the poster boy for MLB homophobes now?
Daniel Murphy?

Hunter may have been overrated in the field, I remember the gaff he had in the ALDS vs Oakland in 2006 as an example. He also should have had the Ortiz homer in 2013 in the ALCS, he took a bad angle and it sailed over his head. Would have been an above average play had he made it but he was so awful his last few years, he shouldn't have been anywhere but RF.

He never walked, he'd go weeks in between walks which was annoying. He is Hall of Very Good though, he was an above average player for the bulk of his career. He never led in any statistical category and his highest MVP vote was 6th. 110 career OPS+, two silver sluggers, nine gold gloves (consecutively), and an entertaining player for certain.

1 person likes this

Hunter may have been overrated in the field, I remember the gaff he had in the ALDS vs Oakland in 2006 as an example.

My wife and I were in Boston and I convinced her to duck into a bar (and a Harvard bar at that) to watch some of the game. We saw this play. We left.

Hunter may have been overrated in the field, I remember the gaff he had in the ALDS vs Oakland in 2006 as an example.

My wife and I were in Boston and I convinced her to duck into a bar (and a Harvard bar at that) to watch some of the game. We saw this play. We left.

How do you like THEM apples? Eh? Eh?

2 people like this

How do you like THEM apples? Eh? Eh?

It was horrible.

Byung-ho Park to be posted by his KBO club

Byung-ho Park to be posted by his KBO club

Son of Chan Ho Park and nephew of Byung-hyun Kim.

#captainhook

Edited by RnR
1 person likes this

Looks like Jeets found his beard

ESPN.com news services

The Miami Marlins have hired Don Mattingly to be their next manager, according to a report.

VICE Sports, citing sources, reported that the deal is for four years and likely will be made official after the World Series.