What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2018 MLB Regular Season Thread! Current thread batting average: .420 (1 Viewer)

Optimum lineup for the Cubs next year includes moving Baez to 3B, having Bryant play LF, and making Schwarber the full-time DH.
Thank God the NL doesn't have the DH.
Yeah because everyone loves walking a .230 hitter with two outs to get to the pitcher.
Pitchers can hit. If the DH was removed from the AL, pitchers averages would be higher than what they are.
So all the NL pitchers aren't trying as hard as they can because the AL has the DH, or all of the good hitting pitchers are being hoarded by AL teams?
it's going to be a long off-season

Also never forget that Dusty said that high-OBP guys who were slow "clog up the bases." I really hope he's coming back.
As a Cubs fan, I also hope Dusty comes back to manage any team in the NL...except the Cubs. That's always fun to watch.

"Hey, ummm...Mr. Baker, our starting pitcher's throwing arm just fell off...after throwing his 147th pitch."

"Yeah, maybe we should get somebody warming up in the pen..."

He might be a great guy, but he sure can destroy a pitching staff like nobody's business.

Do we know anything about Klentak?

Nats job is apparently down to Black and Baker. I think it would be fairly surprising if it's not Black, he seems like a pretty solid manager who took the fall for Preller's misdeeds.

Nats job is apparently down to Black and Baker. I think it would be fairly surprising if it's not Black, he seems like a pretty solid manager who took the fall for Preller's misdeeds.
Black and Matt Williams both played for Dusty with the Giants. Black seems to be pretty well respected in spite of very sporadic success with San Diego. He took over a playoff team and held his job through their collapse a couple years later. The Padres closed strong but lost the NL West on last Sunday of the 2010 season and haven't been near .500 since. His career managerial record is 64 games under .500 over 1362 games. There's no indication that he ever smoked a joint with Jimi Hendrix either.

Black and Matt Williams both played for Dusty with the Giants. Black seems to be pretty well respected in spite of very sporadic success with San Diego. He took over a playoff team and held his job through their collapse a couple years later. The Padres closed strong but lost the NL West on last Sunday of the 2010 season and haven't been near .500 since. His career managerial record is 64 games under .500 over 1362 games. There's no indication that he ever smoked a joint with Jimi Hendrix either.
Counterpoint: Black kind of seems to grasp the basic underpinnings of how baseball works.

Counterpoint: Black kind of seems to grasp the basic underpinnings of how baseball works.
Keep the clubhouse together and motivated. Score more runs. Win more games. Spit a lot.

Keep the clubhouse together and motivated. Score more runs. Win more games. Spit a lot.
Above you pointed out the Padres unimpressive record as a mark against Black.

I don't think they can do much, but the difference between the best and worst managers certainly has to be at least a few wins. And some of Baker's philosophies in practice have been recklessly, negligently bad.

Black vs Baker is the ultimate test of whether you give managers credit for results or not
I think their influence is the smallest of all the major sports. Probably by a good stretch.

That said, with the market value of one "WAR" being around $8mm now, it makes sense to splurge on a manager that makes good decisions and -- if they're not going to win you any extra games -- at least won't lose you any.

Matt Williams lost more games in the clubhouse than he did from the dugout.

And somehow, Ned Yost is going to his second consecutive World Series.

Hunter leaves the game with exactly 50.0 rWAR; more than the usual examples of the worst Hall of Fame OFs (e.g. Ross Youngs, Jim Rice). Surprisingly (to me), his advanced fielding stats are mediocre for a guy who was a perennial Gold Glove (3.3 total dWAR)(.

Hunter just doesn't pass the sniff test as a Hall of Famer. He didn't get much MVP or All Star recognition, never finished top 5 in any major offensive category and spent much of his career as the second best player on his team He is a teammate bridge from Terry Steinbach and Otis Nixon to Byron Buxton and Mike Trout. He played with Molitor as a teammate and for him as a manager. Hunter also probably had a gay teammate at some point in his long career without any irreparable harm from it.

Hunter may have been overrated in the field, I remember the gaff he had in the ALDS vs Oakland in 2006 as an example. He also should have had the Ortiz homer in 2013 in the ALCS, he took a bad angle and it sailed over his head. Would have been an above average play had he made it but he was so awful his last few years, he shouldn't have been anywhere but RF.

He never walked, he'd go weeks in between walks which was annoying. He is Hall of Very Good though, he was an above average player for the bulk of his career. He never led in any statistical category and his highest MVP vote was 6th. 110 career OPS+, two silver sluggers, nine gold gloves (consecutively), and an entertaining player for certain.

ESPN.com news services

The Miami Marlins have hired Don Mattingly to be their next manager, according to a report.

VICE Sports, citing sources, reported that the deal is for four years and likely will be made official after the World Series.

Congrats to the Fukuoka Softbank Hawks on their second consecutive NPB title. They beat the Yakult Swallows in 5 games.

Former MLB pitcher Dennis Sarfate had an outstanding season as the Hawks' closer. 41 SV (139 game season), 1.11 ERA, 0.63 WHIP, 14.2 SO/9. Their top hitter was CF Yuki Yanagita (.363/.469/.631) but Fukuoka has never posted a player as a MLB FA.

Michael Hill, current President of baseball ops, assuming GM duties for the Fish. I think he's kind of a doofus?
He was an assistant to Beinfest and has been Jennings' boss for the past year. It's an in-house reassignment so I wouldn't expect any major changes. I don't really know what that means because the Marlins recent personnel decisions seem tactically driven without any apparent long-term strategy. Are they trying to build their organization from the ground floor? are they trying to compete now? who can tell? Some of their deals have worked out in isolation but the team seems constrained financially and talent-wise to topping out around the .500 mark.

Hill is African and Cuban-American which makes him the highest ranking minority in a MLB front office position so there's that :shrug:

Michael Hill, current President of baseball ops, assuming GM duties for the Fish. I think he's kind of a doofus?
He was an assistant to Beinfest and has been Jennings' boss for the past year. It's an in-house reassignment so I wouldn't expect any major changes. I don't really know what that means because the Marlins recent personnel decisions seem tactically driven without any apparent long-term strategy. Are they trying to build their organization from the ground floor? are they trying to compete now? who can tell? Some of their deals have worked out in isolation but the team seems constrained financially and talent-wise to topping out around the .500 mark.

Hill is African and Cuban-American which makes him the highest ranking minority in a MLB front office position so there's that :shrug:
I imagine that Loria's pretty fickle, too. He can't be easy to work for.

The mid-season Latos etc. deal was just a pure salary dump. They gave up a comp balance pick that was better than any of the minor leaguers they got from LA!

Heaney deal was also horrible, obviously. Feel bad for the six Fish fans that are left. But hey two WS!

The mid-season Latos etc. deal was just a pure salary dump. They gave up a comp balance pick that was better than any of the minor leaguers they got from LA!

Heaney deal was also horrible, obviously. Feel bad for the six Fish fans that are left. But hey two WS!
The Heaney deal returned Dee Gordon who was a 4.9 WAR player this year and is cost-controlled through 2018. He's a whole lot more valuable than a one year rental of Howie Kendrick. The Marlins' organizational depth is at pitcher and you have to put some major league talent on the field. I like DeSclafani but I think the Latos deal is defensible from the Marlins' perspective. Buy low on a distressed asset and hope he brings a bigger return at the deadline. It's basically a cut-rate version of the Beane/Holliday gambit and worked out about as well.

For all Loria's flakiness, his front office has been relatively stable. There have only been three GMs since he bought the club. Larry Beinfest, Jennings and Hill were all inside hires. Their oddball decisions have been with on-field leadership. The hiring of Trader Jack worked out great and Ozzie Guillen was a disaster.

ETA: they sure gave Joe Girardi the quick hook

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Smile
Reactions: RnR

The Heaney deal returned Dee Gordon who was a 4.9 WAR player this year and is cost-controlled through 2018. He's a whole lot more valuable than a one year rental of Howie Kendrick. The Marlins' organizational depth is at pitcher and you have to put some major league talent on the field. I like DeSclafani but I think the Latos deal is defensible from the Marlins' perspective. Buy low on a distressed asset and hope he brings a bigger return at the deadline. It's basically a cut-rate version of the Beane/Holliday gambit and worked out about as well.

For all Loria's flakiness, his front office has been relatively stable. There have only been three GMs since he bought the club. Larry Beinfest, Jennings and Hill were all inside hires. Their oddball decisions have been with on-field leadership. The hiring of Trader Jack worked out great and Ozzie Guillen was a disaster.

ETA: they sure gave Joe Girardi the quick hook
If Gordon cracks 4.5 WAR again next year I'll eat my shoe. Don't think that is sustainable with an outlier UZR and an outlier BABIP, esp a guy who doesn't hit the ball especially hard.

Re: Loria's flakiness, I meant more in terms of how he's constantly adding/subtracting resources, to where his teams are alternately spending lavishly or doing nothing. They didn't ship out Latos for talent per se, they dangled him to get rid of terrible Morse. Other low-payroll teams typically don't have to do things like this, because they wouldn't have splurged on a Morse in the first place.

Yikes, Michael Morse. I'll always :wub: that big lunkhead for 2014 but it was terrible contract for a poor player.

If Michael Hill had anything to do with that deal, you're right, I'm wrong and Hill is an idiot.

Yikes, Michael Morse. I'll always :wub: that big lunkhead for 2014 but it was terrible contract for a poor player.

If Michael Hill had anything to do with that deal, you're right, I'm wrong and Hill is an idiot.
I don't remember what it was that made me think he was kind of dopey. He did insult Marlins fans by openly saying he hoped they were sophisticated enough to understand Miami's moves.

I don't remember what it was that made me think he was kind of dopey. He did insult Marlins fans by openly saying he hoped they were sophisticated enough to understand Miami's moves.
“I would hope our fans are educated enough to see what we’re doing here.” - quote from Hill after their deadline deals. I don't know the full context of the comment. It's probably technically correct but the "I would hope" part makes him come off like a ####.

Sounds like your kind of guy.

“I would hope our fans are educated enough to see what we’re doing here.” - quote from Hill after their deadline deals. I don't know the full context of the comment. It's probably technically correct but the "I would hope" part makes him come off like a ####.
My sources say that Ruben Amaro advised him on those comments.

The Rockies pass on Justin Morneau's 2016 option. They got one good year out of two but his injury foiled the opportunity to flip him at the deadline.

He can still hit righties (even at sea level) if he can stay in the lineup and could probably be a cheap DH/1B type for team like Seattle or San Diego.

The Red Sox exercised their $13M option on Clay Buchholz. He was effective last year when healthy but an inconsistent 31 year old pitcher coming off elbow problems is far from a sure thing. Boston has money to burn and needs starting pitching in the worst way so this move makes more sense for them than it would for other clubs.

The Red Sox exercised their $13M option on Clay Buchholz. He was effective last year when healthy but an inconsistent 31 year old pitcher coming off elbow problems is far from a sure thing. Boston has money to burn and needs starting pitching in the worst way so this move makes more sense for them than it would for other clubs.
He's been rumored to be on the block, either way I think it wouldn't make sense to let him go (he has a near-identical team option for '17). I'm not sure what they'd be looking for in return, given that Boston doesn't have many areas of need in their lineup, assuming they're going to hide Hanley at 1B next year.

The BABIP monsters got him early last year for the first month of the season, then he went on a pretty strong run through July until he strained his elbow.

Users who are viewing this thread