What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Chris Thompson - JAX Jaguars - RB (1 Viewer)

SaintsInDome2006

Footballguy
Ok I've seen enough, he led in touches last week and he is leading in yards for Washington here in Week 4, and frankly the Redskins need his skills.

Anyone have any details on his numbers and college career?

Last edited by a moderator:
Explosive guy, has a second gear but has struggled with injuries, he's finally showing his stuff after three years now. Gruden has loved him since he got here last year, probably seeing his new Gio, but Thompson hasn't shown it till now.

RB is gonna be a RBBC mess this year on the Skins guys.

color me intrigued. I just took a flier and picked him up cheap in my dynasty league. I have absolutely ZERO knowledge of this kid at all. Was he a college star? He looks good out there on the field.

At this point, tough to see value in redraft with a 3-way RBBC.
Believe he's led the backfield in snaps each of the past two weeks. As mentioned before, he's been a Gruden favorite for a long time. Your post assumes it's a 3-way split. It could very easily be that Thompson has the Gio role and Morris/Jones split the Hill role.

I don't know a ton about Thompson, but I vaguely remembered this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9MIeb8X8SQ

Thompson was leading the team in their strongman competition (hammer rows, bench press, push-ups, pull-ups, sit-ups -- all in a minute) before RGIII passed him.

Believe he's led the backfield in snaps each of the past two weeks. As mentioned before, he's been a Gruden favorite for a long time. Your post assumes it's a 3-way split. It could very easily be that Thompson has the Gio role and Morris/Jones split the Hill role.

I don't know a ton about Thompson, but I vaguely remembered this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9MIeb8X8SQ

Thompson was leading the team in their strongman competition (hammer rows, bench press, push-ups, pull-ups, sit-ups -- all in a minute) before RGIII passed him.
No, he was outsnapped by Morris last week. And it IS a 3-way split. He has some value in PPR because he's catching more passes than Morris and Jones, but he's also seeing WAY fewer attempts. He's had 11 rushes to Jones 43 and Morris' 66. Of course, any of this could change but I don't see value in redraft with these numbers.

No, he was outsnapped by Morris last week. And it IS a 3-way split. He has some value in PPR because he's catching more passes than Morris and Jones, but he's also seeing WAY fewer attempts. He's had 11 rushes to Jones 43 and Morris' 66. Of course, any of this could change but I don't see value in redraft with these numbers.
Morris had 35 and Thompson had 33, so the difference is negligible. He did outsnap Morris and Jones in week three, but all but two of his touches were in the 4th quarter.

My gut says he has a big game this week against Atlanta, who has been getting destroyed by pass catching backs....but I'm not sure if I can bring myself to start him in most leagues where I own him.

Morris had 35 and Thompson had 33, so the difference is negligible. He did outsnap Morris and Jones in week three, but all but two of his touches were in the 4th quarter.

My gut says he has a big game this week against Atlanta, who has been getting destroyed by pass catching backs....but I'm not sure if I can bring myself to start him in most leagues where I own him.
Agreed. I've got dion Lewis, Ingram, and duke Johnsonsrt rt now. Can't see myself putting homos in over any of those 3 atm.

But glad I got him in dynasty on the cheap. Intriguing bench stash and if he sustains great production again this week he might push the duke for playing time based on matchup.

I've had to start him 4 weeks this year (first three with leveon out and this last week because of Lacys injury). He's the best pass catcher and with the unimpressive WRs they have I am hoping that he ends up somewhat like riddick in Detroit 

CJ going down and Gurley on the bye has forced him into my lineup with fingers crossed.   He flashed some ability last week for sure.  Looked explosive. 

He makes the most of his chances for sure. Running and receiving, he looks good with the ball in his hand, and picks up yards in chunks. If he can continue to get at a minimum at least 10-12 touches per week, with some weeks getting 15 or so,  he's definitely a solid flex in PPR. Hoping Matt Jones continues to struggle and fumble etc.

(RotoworldChris Thompson rushed 12 times for 73 yards in the Redskins' Week 7 loss to the Lions, adding seven receptions for 40 additional yards.

Analysis: Thompson led the backfield in touches and carries, and the team in yards from scrimmage (113). His involvement was increased after Matt Jones fumbled a ball into the end zone for a Lions touchback. Coach Jay Gruden implemented a three-man timeshare, with Rob Kelley the third man, but Thompson was leading the way. Thompson was consistently getting the edge, and freeing himself over the middle for checkdowns. Gruden has insisted Jones remains the starter, but Thompson seems like a good bet for at least 12-15 touches in Week 8 against the Bengals. He's a PPR RB2, and on the RB3 radar in standard leagues.

Matt Jones looking less and less likely to play this week . Though Rob Kelley will be the presumed starter if Jones sits, I really like Thompson in the matchup. I'll fire him up as a PPR RB2 this week. 

Matt Jones looking less and less likely to play this week . Though Rob Kelley will be the presumed starter if Jones sits, I really like Thompson in the matchup. I'll fire him up as a PPR RB2 this week. 
Rotoworld Roundtable Experts agree with you:

Jeff Brubach (@Jeff_Brubach):  Chris Thompson is another option for teams struggling at running back this week. Matt Jones has already been ruled out for Sunday’s game in London and Thompson should easily out-produce Rob Kelley. Thompson has the receiving skills to turn in a nice stat line and Cincinnati has given up the fourth-most receptions to running backs this season.

Daugherty: I want to jump in and agree with Jeff re: Thompson. He looked so smooth last week, finding the edge and making plays. Rob Kelley will be involved, but Thompson is definitely the play. 

Chris Thompson rushed three times for 77 yards and two touchdowns while catching three-of-seven targets for 29 yards Sunday in the Redskins’ Week 2 win over the Rams.

Thompson scored the game’s first touchdown on a seven-yard burst in the second quarter and added to his tally with a weaving, 61-yard score just before halftime. He left points on the table with a crucial drop in the third quarter—there was nothing but green grass in front of him—but it was still an impressive showing by Thompson, who rushed for just four yards in last week’s opener. Thompson is still going to be the main passing-down back, but could see more rushing opportunities if Rob Kelley misses time with a rib injury.

So is it time to begin starting this guy over seemingly "safer" options?

Guy is RB3 right now, and just got more touches as Gruden promised.  14 touches in a game where they were leading the whole way (IE not what you would typically think is a good game script) and of course he kept producing with those touches.

I held out way too long on playing Blount last year, constantly worried that it wasn't sustainable and that I'd get a dud as soon as I played him.  Don't want to get stuck keeping Thompson on the bench too long too.  Haven't seen him play much, is this guy legit?

So is it time to begin starting this guy over seemingly "safer" options?

Guy is RB3 right now, and just got more touches as Gruden promised.  14 touches in a game where they were leading the whole way (IE not what you would typically think is a good game script) and of course he kept producing with those touches.

I held out way too long on playing Blount last year, constantly worried that it wasn't sustainable and that I'd get a dud as soon as I played him.  Don't want to get stuck keeping Thompson on the bench too long too.  Haven't seen him play much, is this guy legit?
He's going into my lineup starting next week.

I've been flexing him every week so far this year.  No way did I expect what he has been doing, but I will take it.  Hard to believe how undervalued he was this summer. 

I wouldn't hesitate for a moment to start him in PPR.  I followed him in college and totally bought into him, drafted him as a rookie and held him through his entire 2nd year expecting this but ran out of taxi slots/justification to hold him.

I missed out on him unfortunately but this kid is a game changer.  Every swing pass he grabs I see guys in position to make a play and then he goes from 1st to 3rd gear instantly and boom, 25+ yd gain.  He deserves more touches.

I absolutely loved the fact that I grabbed him off the wire last week and his 34 points were sitting on my bench this week...taunting me.

"the fantasy production on the 10-12 touches he gets is unsustainable"... this is what i've told myself the last 2 weeks. You can't trade him because no one else believes it's sustainable so you dont get a positive response to any trade offer where you price him at mid to low end RB2 value. you don't want to trade him away at a rb3 or less value... because the first 3 weeks of production... so there he is, on your bench each week.

fair assessment?

"the fantasy production on the 10-12 touches he gets is unsustainable"... this is what i've told myself the last 2 weeks. You can't trade him because no one else believes it's sustainable so you dont get a positive response to any trade offer where you price him at mid to low end RB2 value. you don't want to trade him away at a rb3 or less value... because the first 3 weeks of production... so there he is, on your bench each week.

fair assessment?
Not if you go zero Rb and especially in auction leagues where that theory is even more extreme. He is exactly why I almost always go zero Rb. 

I'm conservatively treating him as a RB2/Flex level start in PPR leagues going forward. By maintaining that view, whatever he gives me above that level is a bonus. He's been awesome the first 3 weeks and I'm pretty certain he's not to maintain that level (RB3 overall or whatever it is right now) going forward. That said, I'm equally as certain that he won't be going back into obscurity the rest of the season either given the way he's flashed so far. 

I will also say that on teams where I grabbed him late as a RB4/RB5 type he's given me every confidence to trade one of my higher drafted RBs to address holes elsewhere and backfill the traded RB spot in my lineups with Thompson.

In our PPR league I was in the Sammy Watkins thread #####ing about benching him Thu night. Well guess who I benched him for? Yep, Chris Thompson. So happy to get these kind of points from a guy I drafted in the last couple rounds. Happy to flex him each week and ride the wave! 

he's not a RB 2 he's a lethal RB1 at this point,and will be the remainder of the season. Fat Rob is OK, Perine is worse, and there's no WR's worth mentioning..

I'm struggling at RB2 this week, not sure if Montgomery is going to play. What would be a fair offer to make the Chris Thompson owner, who sits at 1-4 right now?

ESPN Redskins reporter John Keim does not expect Chris Thompson's role to change following the second-round selection of Derrius Guice.

Guice isn't a zero in the passing game, but he's not in Thompson's league as a receiver. Few running backs are. With Guice in tow, Thompson is unlikely to mix in as much on early downs — he had 64 carries in 10 games last season — but the Redskins still need his explosive element as a third-down back. He will maintain PPR value if he can stay healthy. Still recovering from his broken leg, Thompson expects to be ready for training camp.

Source: ESPN.com 

May 8 - 5:51 PM

Redskins coach Jay Gruden said Chris Thompson (leg) "looks fantastic."

Thompson did not play in the preseason as he recovers from the broken leg which ended his 2017, but his coach expects him to be a full-go for Week 1. "He's been great -- his pass blocking and obviously his routes, and he's hitting the hole," Gruden said. "He's ready to go." Even with Adrian Peterson taking on the early-down work, Thompson is a great RB3/FLEX target in PPR drafts.

Source: ESPN 

Aug 28 - 9:23 AM

Is it just me, or is Alex Smith just about the perfect person to be throwing Thompson the ball? King of the dump offs passing to an amazing receiving back. 

Is it just me, or is Alex Smith just about the perfect person to be throwing Thompson the ball? King of the dump offs passing to an amazing receiving back. 
Health a side, I think he has high end RB2 potential in PPR. 

I got Thompson in my main league just based on how stupid low he fell but it seems weird that I don’t think he’s seen the field in a preseason game and his comments on his health are kind of negative (“100% by November”) compared to his coach.

You gotta bounce back mentally too after an serious injury to your legs when you catch footballs out of the backfield for a living.  

I hope he’s there, find out soon I guess...

Really wish he hadn’t been dinged to start the season. I typically avoid injured players in the draft but was really high on him otherwise. If he gets back to 100% with no lingering issues affecting his snap count he is gonna be a huge steal from where he was prob taken. 

ETA: Just checked - 8th round in ours. 

He looked hurt after all 11 touches he had ... limping, grimaces, etc.  He's a heck of a player that Smith will use like Kareem Hunt when he's on the field.  Unfortunately I can't see him making it through a full season.

His TD would have been just another 5 yard pass to most backs.  The LB was right there for the tackle when Thompson caught the ball. Elite lateral quickness and a great nose for the end zone on that play.

Id rather Peterson stay healthy. Thompson’s not built to be a 3 down back.

0.5 PPR in my main league I’m starting him as my RB2 until proven otherwise

Users who are viewing this thread