What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Joe Philbin Fired. Trumpets Sound. (1 Viewer)

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/nfl/miami-dolphins/article38060388.html

The Dolphins have hired former NFL assistant Al Saunders as an offensive consultant, NFL Network reported early Wednesday.

Saunders previously worked with Dolphins offensive coordinator Bill Lazor in Washington, and hopes to jump-start at offense that is one of the least productive in football.

Furthermore, Ben Johnson, an assistant on the Dolphins' staff, will take over as tight ends coach, which was the position Dan Campbell held before being named Joe Philbin's interim successor on Monday.

The Dolphins are also looking to bring in help on defense.

Embattled coordinator Kevin Coyle remains on the job, but former head coaches Jim Schwartz, Mike Smith and Greg Schiano have been discussed, according to NFL Network. Efforts to reach the Dolphins for comment were not immediately successful.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/nfl/miami-dolphins/article38060388.html#storylink=cpy

Alex Marvez is reporting that the staff was in meetings into the evening last night and that it's assumed they'll be an announcement this morning.

Twitter folks assuming it's a DC or DC assistant hire

Alex Marvez is reporting that the staff was in meetings into the evening last night and that it's assumed they'll be an announcement this morning.

Twitter folks assuming it's a DC or DC assistant hire
Another far fetched not far fetched hmmm scenario is to bench Tannehill

He flipped and some say things like that reaction, that's not a leader or that's not 'our guy'

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-dolphins/sfl-ryan-tannehill-considers-dolphins-leaks-slanderous-and-sickening-20151007-story.html

I didn't at all agree with this rumor but the more I stew on it, the more I think hmm

Supposedly Campbell gave them a speech about accountability, leadership, and respect and just after Tannehill spoke out to reporters

But the former Lions head coach wasn’t the only guy with experience they were considering adding to help interim head coach Dan Campbell.

According to Albert Breer of the NFL Network, the Dolphins also considered former Buccaneers head coach Greg Schiano and former Falcons coach Mike Smith for positions on their coaching staff to help with the defense.

While each had their own issues in their last jobs, Schiano and Smith could also add some legitimacy to a defensive coaching staff that has under-delivered considering the money spent on that side of the ball.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/10/07/report-dolphins-were-also-considering-greg-schiano-and-mike-smith/

Fired defensive coordinator Kevin Coyle. Promoted defensive backs coach, Lou Anarumo to defensive coordinator.

The scuttlebutt locally is that Schwartz may be tapped to be the next coach of Maryland.
As I understand it, he's paid well by the NFL to breakdown game film and discuss it with officials.

That sounds like the cushiest of jobs and he'd need to really be drawn away from it. Plus time with family might be new to him and a life he wanted.

The scuttlebutt locally is that Schwartz may be tapped to be the next coach of Maryland.
That almost seems odd to turn down the DC position.. It would seem like a step towards assuming the HC position next Season.
I don't think there's a good history of interim coaches turning into permanent coaches. Is there?

I strongly disagree with so many on this board about his time with the Lions. They were perennial losers before he got there. People here don't seem to look upon him fondly.

He had that Bills D rollin' last year and lost his job when they hired a new staff.

There's gotta be a vibe where he wants years in a contract not a few months. There's an eery similarity that he could be doing the same scenario as with the Bills.

I think he'll get another chance as a HC. I don't see that he gains by coaching the Fins D for a few months.

I think weve seen some Coachs assume a role, which leads to the HC position the next season.. (sorta formality for one reason or another)

Think the interim Coach being promoted has caused problems in the past, because of the Rooney rule.. (not so sure on a DC being promoted)

Im just saying this Team doesnt need any additional bad pub..

Sadly, I concur with you that its probably too bad Detroit didnt give the Coach more time.. I was just talking w/ my wife about this, because of the start of this yr is reminiscent of the 0-16 Seasons.

I believe Suh and his "play" overshadowed both the Team, and the Coach..

Back in the Navy it was sorta common to hear "One awe ####e, wipes out alot of attaboys"..

What do you think of the new Miami Coach? I wanna say that I think I like his vigor, but it also seemed like I was just hearing cliches..

I mean, Id be the first one to admit it looked like the players quit, so who knows how good some of em really play.

But, if the Coach is really good, I kinda like where the Team could potentially wind up ...

As I understand it, he's paid well by the NFL to breakdown game film and discuss it with officials.

That sounds like the cushiest of jobs and he'd need to really be drawn away from it. Plus time with family might be new to him and a life he wanted.
He's still getting paid by the Bills/Lions as well, so he essentially would have been coaching for free this year (not sure if his current NFL gig has offsets). He'll be back next year IMO.

Dismattle said:
I think weve seen some Coachs assume a role, which leads to the HC position the next season.. (sorta formality for one reason or another)

Think the interim Coach being promoted has caused problems in the past, because of the Rooney rule.. (not so sure on a DC being promoted)

Im just saying this Team doesnt need any additional bad pub..

Sadly, I concur with you that its probably too bad Detroit didnt give the Coach more time.. I was just talking w/ my wife about this, because of the start of this yr is reminiscent of the 0-16 Seasons.

I believe Suh and his "play" overshadowed both the Team, and the Coach..

Back in the Navy it was sorta common to hear "One awe ####e, wipes out alot of attaboys"..

What do you think of the new Miami Coach? I wanna say that I think I like his vigor, but it also seemed like I was just hearing cliches..

I mean, Id be the first one to admit it looked like the players quit, so who knows how good some of em really play.

But, if the Coach is really good, I kinda like where the Team could potentially wind up ...
They weren't going to be fixed in four or five days. I think they get four off with a bye and...well however many practices til they play next.

I applaud him for wanting to do it himself and not assign this to his staff.

I do not know another way to quickly fix a poor football mindset then to have em' get back to basics and work hard. "get their hands dirty"

Common respect and appreciation are built over time. I don't know that he can offer them that more professional approach while trying to make this a quick fix situation. People want that and some fans are whining about his approach already saying it's not high school or peewee. I think it's fine.

During a quick makeover, if a guy gives a good effort the coach moves onto someone else and it goes down the line.

What I'm nervously waiting for from Fins fans is "why did soandso get cut?" ... or traded for peanuts. My guess is he's going to find a bad apple or two.

What I'm anxious for is the results based mindset Parcells and most of his coaches all had (geesh the reason he had a career really)

My guess would be Jennings, Miller and a couple on the OL are at risk. I do not feel they always give 100%. At times Miller runs into the lineman when the hole is "right there" and it drives me nuts. This could be construed as a negative but could also be Miller paying better attention to detail and improving.

After the "get down to business" stuff, then we'll see how he coaches gameplans/schemes.

Saunders has been around forever. He'll probably help with everything, not just O.

There's never been a Parcells team that didn't run often. With ZERO knowledge to create an expectation here- I'd see about acquiring Miller or Williams cheaply. IIRC Saunders likes the screen an awful lot.

If the rook is capable, I assume he's the first replacement if Campbell's displeased with a WR.

There's really nothing that can be done FF wise until they play. I'm only suggesting if you're itching to do something and feeling like a gamble here.

I'm very curious why every coach brings up Tannehill. I've watched a slew of interviews and read a ton of articles recently and...something is up with Ryan. My friend, a Fins writer, thinks Campbell is putting more on Ryan's shoulders. Another friend and I both think he doesn't much care for Tannehill. It could be none of this and just Tannehill is the guy to make an example of and lead by example. All just guesses...

Well that's a bit old story from years ago.

As someone said back then, there's nothing you can do but whine and complain if it happens when you're in the air. Either way he's being rushed to a hospital when they land so...he just chose to be quiet. It does make for a nice anecdote when players gripe about him wanting them to play tougher

So give Campbell tons of credit? Titans looked terrible and not like they have in 2015.

How's the confidence in him now?

I’m beginning my prep for Green Bay’s projections. I have concerns about Philbin’s use of RB’s. If nothing the man was consistent in his last tenure in GB, he floated close to a 56% ratio of pass to run. Unfortunately, his use of RB’s in the passing game does not seem to match what I have seen trend around the league. His RB targets were 68, 68, 76 and 91 in Green Bay with the highest RB total being 50 targets. Now his last full year with the Dolphins the total did come in at 103 targets but no back saw more than 52 targets in his time there and that’s when he had Reggie Bush in his prime for one of those years. I think given the uncertainty the Green Bay backfield is probably being priced right in redraft right now. Obviously it’s appetizing on a per game basis if you can pick the right one that gets some volume. Ryan Grant had a 71% and 64% carry share in ‘08 and ‘09. After that there hasn’t been a back under Philbin over 51%. Hard to make heads or tails of it all. 

Side note: WR’s were heavily targeted under Philbin with WR’s like Brian Hartline, Davone Bess seeing targets over 100 and Mike Wallace seeing targets into 140’s. People should be reevaluating Randall Cobb and Geronimo Allison (which I hate  :X  but targets don’t lie).

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread