What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

do you have a monthly car payment? (1 Viewer)

What is the average age of vehicles that are your daily drivers? (exclude classic toys)

• <3 yrs

Votes: 119 34.1%
  • 4-6

Votes: 74 21.2%
  • 7-9

Votes: 56 16.0%
  • 10-12

Votes: 43 12.3%
  • 13-15

Votes: 36 10.3%
  • 16+

Votes: 21 6.0%

• Total voters

Dentist

***Official FBG Dentist***
Just curious, auto debt hit all time highs

Last edited by a moderator:
2 cars, debt on one, own other outright. Hate car payment, hate other frequent costs associated with less expensive/older/no payment car.

Also to be fair, I get a vehicle allowance that more than covers the payment but I still wish that money was in my pocket.

Bought my last car with cash. It was used with 25k miles a couple of years ago. I have 65k now. I fully hope to get at least 150k miles out of it. My mechanic says its very doable. I love not having a car payment and I hate paying interest on depreciating assets. If possible I will always do it this way.

I own two vehicles. Bought one car in cash and the other a 48 month loan at 6%.

Yeah I owe about 3k on one and own my truck. Just had to drop about 1k into it to keep it running though

No monthly payment. I don't care too much about my car as long as it's reliable. I'd rather spend my money elsewhere.

No monthly payment. I don't care too much about my car as long as it's reliable. I'd rather spend my money elsewhere.
I have a 2000 Lexus SUV and plan to keep it until my daughter is old enough to drive in 9 years. The gas mileage sucks but it's paid for, still looks good, and never breaks down.

I was once set up on a blind date with a really cute, smart, funny girl. She jokingly told me that her only character flaw was that she always had to drive a new car, never more than a year old.

There was no second date.

2 car payments. 2011 Ford Edge bought used and a 2014 Lincoln MKZ bought used. The wife gets a car allowance that pays for the Lincoln. I get a "new" used car whenever mine gets to become a pain in the but. Had a 2002 Ford Taurus that I ran until it fell apart after 200,000 miles. Traded in a 2005 Escape on the Edge about a year ago. I keep my vehicles for a long time, but the wife drives too much and we always end up getting her a new ride every few years.

Have a paid off Accord and a year old Pilot that we took out a loan for. Pilot loan is 72 months @ 1.5% (couldn't pass up the terms).

Yeah I owe about 3k on one and own my truck. Just had to drop about 1k into it to keep it running though
A $1000 repair is still better than 2 months of truck payments.

$3K to $8K can really get you a pretty reliable vehicle these days, and I swear cars can go for longer miles these days. Buying and taking on repair costs for a vehicle with 100K+ miles theses days is a great option, imo.

Actually, I think around 130-150K is a good time to buy. An owner or two got it that far, probably went ahead and took care of a big repair or two, then either got scared off after a couple of repairs and fooled themselves into thinking they now need a new vehicle, or they just wanted something different for whatever reason.

They sell it cheap so they can go back into debt for a "good" vehicle while you drive their old car into the twilight years that are nowhere near as expensive as they had feared.

200K is the new 100K.

A $1000 repair is still better than 2 months of truck payments.

$3K to $8K can really get you a pretty reliable vehicle these days, and I swear cars can go for longer miles these days. Buying and taking on repair costs for a vehicle with 100K+ miles theses days is a great option, imo.

Actually, I think around 130-150K is a good time to buy. An owner or two got it that far, probably went ahead and took care of a big repair or two, then either got scared off after a couple of repairs and fooled themselves into thinking they now need a new vehicle, or they just wanted something different for whatever reason.

They sell it cheap so they can go back into debt for a "good" vehicle while you drive their old car into the twilight years that are nowhere near as expensive as they had feared.

200K is the new 100K.
Hope you're right on the last line.

Ours have 125k (my '07 highlander) and 80k (wife's '11 odyssey). No desire to buy another right now and hoping the highlander makes it 3+ more years when my oldest son can drive it while I get a new vehicle.

2001 Aztec with 134,000 miles that was paid off back in 2006. Couple of big outlays since then but has been running like a champ.

Wife has 2007 Grand Caravan with 65,000 that's been paid off since 2012.

I love having no car payments. :thumbup:

no

and I thought you weren't supposed to pay cash for a depreciating asset?
Most of what anyone owns is a depreciating asset.
but don't pay cash for them.....
Sure we do. I guess technically we pay with a credit card and pay it off by electronic transfer, so no cash.
is this shtick?
Pretty sure yours is.
by cash, I mean are you paying the dealer 25k for a car on the spot without financing?

2 brand new 2015 vehicles both with 6 year loans.....replacing 2012 and 2011 vehicle...the 2011 was within months of being paid off, it would have been the first car I've had no payment on......EVER.

I'm the anti-dentist

For the first time in 10 years we have a car payment. We bought our new Odyssey about 6 months earlier than planned (Feb) to use for some summer vacations this summer. Put 45% down, got .09% for 36 months. Sold old car and put that toward loan (about 50% of remaining balance). We could pay off the balance today, but will only pay $38 interest on the remaining life of the loan. If we make minimum payments it will be paid off 10/2016. But I despise car payments so we will probably pay it off soon.

Currently, no.

Not looking forward to it probably 6-18 months from now either. Wanted to delay until we are no longer paying a sitter, so any loan would be minimal (if at all) but the constant breakdown's of my wife's car is looking like it may force our hand.

My car is paid off (bought in 2009, 70K miles, plan to drive it until the wheels fall off). My wife's car has another 15 months on her payment. It's something like 2.4% interest.

plan to drive it until the wheels fall off)
When people say this, what does it really mean?

I mean there are cars from the 60's or earlier that I still see on the road. Does it mean you'll truly keep repairing it until either it is in a collision wreck and is non-repairable or the axle rusts through?

Do people really do a 1 car for most of their life kind of thing?

With all due respect, this poll doesn't mean much.....

Maybe someone would rather take $5k/$4k/whatever and instead of paying off their car note, they throw it at their mortgage which is a higher rate than their 1% or 2% car loan.

Or hell.....maybe they have a paid off car but they are underwater on their mortgage.

That all being said, both my wife's car and my car are paid. However, I would have no issue with getting a car loan at a very low interest rate when I need a car and I would plan on driving it longer after it was paid for.

This has been our pattern.

Luckily I used to get the friends and family discount so it was smooth.

I would buy a car. Keep it 8 to 10 years.

When that was paid off my other vehicle would be time to upgrade. So my current car is 12 years old. And my wife's we paid off a year ago.

The last 2 tines I got 0% interest so I put no money down and took a 5 year loan.

My Honda 2003 will be upgraded as soon as my son finishes college

plan to drive it until the wheels fall off)
When people say this, what does it really mean?

I mean there are cars from the 60's or earlier that I still see on the road. Does it mean you'll truly keep repairing it until either it is in a collision wreck and is non-repairable or the axle rusts through?

Do people really do a 1 car for most of their life kind of thing?
Yeah, you have to repairs in considering. If your car has 200k miles on it and you are dropping hundreds of dollars on it almost every other month, it's time to look for a new car.

Also, if it's a very unreliable car and could cause issues with you getting to work (which is where you get your income), it might be time to get a different car.

No car payments. Paid cash for a couple of Porsches, 2 Audi's and my son's GTi. Bought all cars used at great prices. Can't believe how much people pay just to have a brand new car, and can't believe how big of a monthly payment people are willing to make.

Havent had a car payment since 2006 until we just bought a new odyssey a few months ago.

Put nothing down. 60 month loan at 1.9%. Payment is $505.

Could pay it off but would deplete the savings. Also rather put extra in the house every month, at least 100-200 extra but plan to increase that a bit.

Defnitely plan to keep it till the wheels fall of which to me just means I will keep it and drive until i no longer feel it is reliable enough or good enough value based on repair costs. I imagine this definition is different for everyone.

Users who are viewing this thread