What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

DFS Scandals in E.F.F.E.C.T (1 Viewer)

Soulfly3

Footballguy
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/06/sports/fanduel-draftkings-fantasy-employees-bet-rivals.html?smid=tw-bna&_r=0

what's the shark move ?

A major scandal is erupting in the multibillion dollar industry of fantasy sports, the online and unregulated business in which players assemble their fantasy teams with real athletes. On Monday, the two major fantasy companies were forced to release statements defending their businesses’ integrity after what amounted to allegations of insider trading, that employees were placing bets on information not available to the public.

Last week, a DraftKings employee admitted to inadvertently releasing data before the start of the third week of N.F.L. games, a move akin to insider trading in the stock market. The employee — a midlevel content manager — won $350,000 at rival site FanDuel that same week.

The incident has raised questions about who at daily fantasy companies has access to valuable data, how it is protected and whether the industry can — or wants — to police itself.

The leagues have been swelling in popularity, their advertisements blanketing football game broadcasts.

Poor Odds: Daily Fantasy Sports and the Hidden Cost of America’s Weird Gambling LawsSEPT. 24, 2015
Some commercials for daily fantasy games, such as this one from DraftKings, show fans accepting million-dollar checks as prizes.An Ad Blitz for Fantasy Sports Games, but Some See Plain Old GamblingSEPT. 16, 2015
Kelly Hirano, left, and Ken Fuchs of Yahoo introduced the company's new fantasy sports games in San Francisco.Yahoo Will Enter Daily Fantasy Sports MarketJULY 8, 2015
The industry has its roots in informal fantasy games that began years ago with groups of fans playing against each other for fun over the course of a season. They assembled hypothetical teams and scored points based on how players did in actual games.

But in recent years, companies, led by DraftKings and FanDuel, have set up online daily and weekly games in which fans pay an entry fee to a website — anywhere from 25 cents to $1,000 — to play dozens if not hundreds of opponents, with prize pools that can pay $2 million to the winner. Critics have complained that the setup is hardly different from Las Vegas-style gambling that is normally banned in the sports world.

On Monday DraftKings and FanDuel released a joint statement that said that “nothing is more important” than the “integrity of the games we offer,” but offered few specifics about how they keep their contests on the level.

A spokesman for DraftKings acknowledged that employees of both companies have won big jackpots playing at other daily fantasy sites. Late Monday, the two companies temporarily banned their employees from playing games or in tournaments at any other site; they already had prohibited their employees from playing on their own company sites.

The Boston office of DraftKings, an online fantasy sports company.Editorial: Rein In Online Fantasy Sports Gambling OCT. 5, 2015
“Both companies have strong policies in place to ensure that employees do not misuse any information at their disposal and strictly limit access to company data to only those employees who require it to do their jobs,” the statement said. “Employees with access to this data are rigorously monitored by internal fraud control teams, and we have no evidence that anyone has misused it.”

Industry analysts said the episode could leave the leagues open to further criticism that they are too loosely regulated.

“The single greatest threat to the daily fantasy sports industry is the misuse of insider information,” said Daniel Wallach, a sports and gambling lawyer at Becker & Poliakoff in Fort Lauderdale, Fla. “It could imperil this nascent industry unless real, immediate and meaningful safeguards are put in place. If the industry is unwilling to undertake these reforms voluntarily, it will be imposed on them involuntarily as part of a regulatory framework.”

Already, there has been intensifying discussion on social media and among lawmakers over whether daily fantasy games are pushing the boundaries of an exemption in a 2006 federal law that has allowed them to operate. The law prohibited games like online poker but permitted fantasy play, deemed games of skill not chance, under lobbying from professional sports leagues. The games are legal in all but five states.

But because Congress did not foresee how fantasy sports would explode, one member, Representative Frank Pallone Jr., Democrat of New Jersey, recently requested a hearing to explore the relationship between fantasy sports and gambling. “I really think if they had to justify themselves at a hearing they wouldn’t be able to,” Mr. Pallone said in a recent interview.

The data that DraftKings acknowledged was released by its employee, Ethan Haskell, showed what particular players were most used in all lineups submitted to the site’s Millionaire Maker contests. Usually, that data is not released until the lineups for all games are finalized. Getting it early, however, is of great advantage to make tactical decisions, especially when your opponents do not have the information at all.

A spokeswoman for DraftKings said Haskell simply made a mistake and that the company was certain that he did not use the information improperly. She declined to go into specifics about the safeguards or the company’s auditing policies.

Representatives of both companies acknowledged that many employees of daily fantasy companies were players first and had continued to compete on other sites. Ben Brown, a co-founder of Daily Fantasy Sports Report, was first to disclose that Haskell had posted the information.

“There’s a significant amount of crossover,” said Chris Grove, an industry analyst and editor of legalsportsreport.com. “The nature of the industry is so specialized and so new that, at the speed which they grew, they relied heavily on the player population.”

Many of these employees set the prices of players and the algorithms for scoring. In short, they make the market.

As daily fantasy sports has blossomed into a multibillion dollar industry in the past year DraftKings and FanDuel have become a cherished sponsor of M.L.B. and N.F.L. franchises.

Eilers Research, which studies the industry, estimates that daily games will generate around $2.6 billion in entry fees this year and grow 41 percent annually, reaching $14.4 billion in 2020. So high are the potential financial rewards that DraftKings and FanDuel have found eager partners in N.F.L. teams, even as league executives remain staunch opponents of sports betting.

Jerry Jones of the Cowboys and Robert K. Kraft of the New England Patriots have stakes in DraftKings and the company recently struck a three-year deal with the N.F.L. to become a partner of the American football league’s International Series in Great Britain, where sports betting is legal. In addition, DraftKings has tapped hundreds of millions from Fox Sports, and FanDuel has raised hundreds of millions of dollars from investors like Comcast, NBC and KKR.

Adam Krejcik, a managing director at Eilers Research, said early missteps are often part of booming growth in a new and often misunderstood sector like daily fantasy sports. He said whether Haskell, the DraftKings employee, made an innocent mistake or not the damage is done.

“Certainly does not look good from an optics standpoint and it strengthens the case for additional oversight and regulation,” he said.

Grove, of legalsportsreport.com, said this may be a watershed moment for a sector that has resisted regulation but now may need it to prove its legitimacy.

“You have information that is valuable and should be tightly restricted,” said Grove. “There are people outside of the company that place value on that information. Is there any internal controls? Any audit process? The inability of the industry to produce a clear and compelling answer to these questions to anyone’s satisfaction is why it needs to be regulated.”

Last edited by a moderator:
Correct to the above, agree.

I'm not remotely surprised. Btw note the use of the word "unregulated" by the NYT. That's definitely a clue, FF industry better take note.

No wonder bigpapi44 won every week at Fanduel last year - draftkings is in Boston!

does this open up a class action lawsuit for EVERY single tourney player that played against said "persons of interest" and lost money ?

I say... yes.

If these guys were playing in hundreds of games a week, which I assume they were... yikes.

"Shark" move,politicians move in to "regulate", DFS companies pay "shark\crony capitalist" politicians off in money, tribute and jobs; DFS customers needlessly pay more while smaller companies who could offer consumers more for less are squeezed out of the industry. Standard lean forward crowd playbook; wash, rinse, repeat.

But because Congress did not foresee how fantasy sports would explode, one member, Representative Frank Pallone Jr., Democrat of New Jersey, recently requested a hearing to explore the relationship between fantasy sports and gambling. “I really think if they had to justify themselves at a hearing they wouldn’t be able to,” Mr. Pallone said in a recent interview.

Ya think?

A spokeswoman for DraftKings said Haskell simply made a mistake and that the company was certain that he did not use the information improperly.

And if you believe that, i've got a bridge for sale.

A spokeswoman for DraftKings said Haskell simply made a mistake and that the company was certain that he did not use the information improperly.

I don't believe myself to be a fool nor do I play at these sites, but can someone explain what type of "insider info" someone could utilize to win money at other sites? Like injury info? Willie Snead is going to out snap Colston? Aren't we talking about picking a fantasy lineup? If so, you just need to pick the best team so what insider info could one get that would be so unethical to use on another site? If feels more likely that someone who works at Draft Kings is potentially just plain ####### awesome at ffball and thus, does well picking a good weekly team on another site. What am I midding? (It's possible I don't even know exactly what games these sites offer too so that may be part of it.)

LOL. In a few years the scandals that came out of online poker will pale in comparison to the DFS industry.

There is easy money to be made on smaller sites due to overlay but i would never play otherwise, such a shady shady industry.

I don't believe myself to be a fool nor do I play at these sites, but can someone explain what type of "insider info" someone could utilize to win money at other sites? Like injury info? Willie Snead is going to out snap Colston?
Knowing ownership percentages is HUGE info to have. The ownership % is similar across sites.

Never mind, just read it in full as opposed to skimming it and see they referenced % of ownership for players. Makes sense that there us some level of fraud going on.

I don't believe myself to be a fool nor do I play at these sites, but can someone explain what type of "insider info" someone could utilize to win money at other sites? Like injury info? Willie Snead is going to out snap Colston?Aren't we talking about picking a fantasy lineup? If so, you just need to pick the best team so what insider info could one get that would be so unethical to use on another site? If feels more likely that someone who works at Draft Kings is potentially just plain ####### awesome at ffball and thus, does well picking a good weekly team on another site. What am I midding? (It's possible I don't even know exactly what games these sites offer too so that may be part of it.)
I you know would direction the public is going on player selection, you can chose another option. Part of wining gap is avoiding the herd so you don't have to beat as many players. Think about it like playing the lottery. If you knew that 50% of the people were playing the number 7 and only 2% were on 23, you would chose 23.

I don't believe myself to be a fool nor do I play at these sites, but can someone explain what type of "insider info" someone could utilize to win money at other sites? Like injury info? Willie Snead is going to out snap Colston?Aren't we talking about picking a fantasy lineup? If so, you just need to pick the best team so what insider info could one get that would be so unethical to use on another site? If feels more likely that someone who works at Draft Kings is potentially just plain ####### awesome at ffball and thus, does well picking a good weekly team on another site. What am I midding? (It's possible I don't even know exactly what games these sites offer too so that may be part of it.)
It says that information about ownership percentages was released. The best way to win a lot of the games is to have a lineup that few other people have. Knowing how much players are owned would allow you to create lineups that had a statistical advantage.

I don't understand how ownership info for Draft Kings would help this dude win at Fanduel. Players are priced differently, scored differently, and lineups aren't even the same.

I don't believe myself to be a fool nor do I play at these sites, but can someone explain what type of "insider info" someone could utilize to win money at other sites? Like injury info? Willie Snead is going to out snap Colston?
Knowing ownership percentages is HUGE info to have. The ownership % is similar across sites.
I don't know why it would be.

This reminds me of a church event I attended. It was "horse racing" where it was videotaped races that would randomly play.

The winning amount was determined by how many people would bet on a given horse. They weren't doing a good job of hiding which horses had how much bet on them (tickets in a bucket). So I would go at the end and bet on the three least full buckets. Spent all the money on "auctions" later anyway so I didn't feel bad, but it was easy to game the system.

Seems the same here. If you know the least used percentages, it's a rigged game. Though I would think the different values for different players from site to site would skew the lineups, wouldn't they?

I don't play DFS, but just from a numbers standpoint, if there are tens of thousands of entries on each site (maybe more?), then chances are the public's picks would be similar.

It is like shorting a stock that everyone else is buying. If the stock goes down, you win big. By avoiding heavily owned players in the huge DFS tournaments, you are essentially shorting their stock and buying stock in a lesser owned player with the potential to outscore them.

You have to be an idiot to do this on a week to week basis. Either you are wasting a sick amount of time for only a small, small profit or you are losing.

I expect them to release a statement that says something like this, after an internal investigation we have determined that the money was won fair and square, but for the best interest of the DFS industry all employees and affiliated sponsors will be banned from playing DFS. For your patience and trust in our sites here is a link to click to a 1k prize fund free roll.

*disclaimer*

Free roll link must be clicked on between 3 and 4 am eastern time on the Tuesday before that Sundays game, if we don't get at least 500k players enrolled in the free roll it will be terminated.

What information do they have that is not available already?

I can't see NFL teams giving them information that wouldn't be available to ESPN reporters for instance or already on Twitter by beat reporters.

What am I missing?

You have to be an idiot to do this on a week to week basis. Either you are wasting a sick amount of time for only a small, small profit or you are losing.
Two things I have never understood:

1. How is online poker illegal, but DFS isn't?

2. Why has the NFL worked so hard to distance themselves from direct wagering on the outcomes of games, but has so quickly snuggled up to the major DFS players?

What information do they have that is not available already?

I can't see NFL teams giving them information that wouldn't be available to ESPN reporters for instance or already on Twitter by beat reporters.

What am I missing?
They can see who bets on what, so they can create lineups that hedge against what others are betting on.

Didn't matter how much insider info they had. I still won 80 cents yesterday in a H2H match. Booyaah!

It is like shorting a stock that everyone else is buying. If the stock goes down, you win big. By avoiding heavily owned players in the huge DFS tournaments, you are essentially shorting their stock and buying stock in a lesser owned player with the potential to outscore them.
It's not like shorting a stock.

Also how is the illegal? Or how does this make someone upset? I would just figure someone know how to even record search hits for instance "dfs Calvin Johnson" or "fan duel Aaron Rodgers" and get where the consensus is going.

Couldn't FBG even track their interactive lineup maker as well?

LOL the said: "A spokeswoman for DraftKings said Haskell simply made a mistake and that the company was certain that he did not use the information improperly."

Yet she's the reason for the article winning 350,000.00!?!?!

Am I missing something here?

Tex

LOL the said: "A spokeswoman for DraftKings said Haskell simply made a mistake and that the company was certain that he did not use the information improperly."

Yet she's the reason for the article winning 350,000.00!?!?!

Am I missing something here?

Tex
No

I hate both DFS companies for nothing else because they pollute NFL games with their Spam ads. $200 free cash, enter this promo code...blah blah blah...and there's a million suckers born every minute. I hope the entire industry chokes on bubble and everyone who invested in this shady business loses their shirt.

Once these guys go to jail or are sued out of existence, the major sports sites should just arrange their websites so we can play in DFS leagues with friends. Maybe you can already do this, but it would be cool to use the DFS format i friend leagues instead of having to get everyone together and hold a draft where 3 - 4 people a year get routinely screwed by injuries and drunken drafting.

I hate both DFS companies for nothing else because they pollute NFL games with their Spam ads. $200 free cash, enter this promo code...blah blah blah...and there's a million suckers born every minute. I hope the entire industry chokes on bubble and everyone who invested in this shady business loses their shirt.
This. You know it has to be shady since they are going so hard on the ads. I even think it is dubious that FBGs has jumped so hard pimping this up. The $200 is ludicrous. Nobody is giving away $200 for free unless they are sure you are going to lose more than double that in the long run.

Agreed. There's even a 30 minute infomercial now. Someone make it stop please.

Well, not really. It's a lot like online poker in the sense that 85-90% dropping money on these sites are out of their depth, so all you have to do is be reasonably solid and you can make some money.

Users who are viewing this thread