What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey thread (1 Viewer)

TheAristocrat

Footballguy
In response to Willie Neslon’s request for new threads, I decided to write and discuss something that I can speak intelligently about: college hockey. And most specifically, my beloved Minnesota Golden Gophers.

After making the national championship game in 2014, the Gophers stumbled their way through last season to a 23-13-3 record and exited the NCAA tournament in the first round against UMD. Word is that there was some really bad chemistry in the locker room mixed with some complacent and sloppy play that mostly grounded last year’s team. Expectations were through the roof last year coming off that championship loss to Union with all of the core guys returning. Maybe they were too high? Maybe it’s time for a fresh start.

While we lost our top defensive duo and a bunch of solid forwards, the Gophers have a youthful squad of talent. They begin the season ranked #9 which I think is a bit high for a team with ten freshman and losing five guys that contributed over half of the goals from last season (Rau, Reilly, Boyd, Ambroz and Warning). Someone even gave us a first place vote. I wouldn’t have done that with all the unknowns right now, especially goaltending.

Captain Justin Kloos and assistant captains Hudson Fasching, Jake Bischoff, and Connor Reilly will lead this team throughout the season. I’m also looking at sophomore Leon Bristedt and freshmen Tommy Novak and Jack Ramsey to step up. Couldn’t tell you which of the four goalies on the roster will start the season but I can tell you that between the four of them, they have exactly one collegiate start. It’ll be really nice to have Connor Reilly’s cannon on the power play again. I’m thinking he’ll be used much like Boyd was last year on the PP.

Correct me if I’m wrong but 5 non-Minnesotans on the team is the most since the early 1970s.

So onwards and upwards with Minnesota’s Pride on Ice! The non-conference schedule is tough as usual and Big Ten play will be the suck as usual. The Gophers have won four straight regular season division titles (2 WCHA and 2 Big Ten) and hope to continue that streak. Michigan has been batted around as the team to step up and dethrone the Gophers but I’ll believe that when I see it. No one else in the division is worth talking about (suck it, ‘Sconnies).

My predictions: I think the team will settle into the #12 - #15 area and win the Big Ten regular season title. Our non-conference schedule is tough enough (on paper at least) that I think we will compare favorably against Hockey East and the NCHC (best conference in the country again this year) in the PairWise, especially if we take care of business. I’m hopeful that we make the NCAA tournament again. I love my April hockey.

I’ll be updating this thread with my thoughts and game summaries throughout the 2015-2016 season. Especially with looks at our ten new freshman and the continuing tradition of Minnesota Golden Gopher hockey. The season starts tomorrow and as usual, I couldn’t be more excited. If there was one championship that Minnesota could win year in and year out, I’d choose the NCAA Hockey Championship over the Super Bowl, World Series, or Stanley Cup.

GO GOPHERS! SKI-U-MAH!

Last edited by a moderator:
ROOSTER

No. Name Pos Yr Ht. Wt. DOB Home Town Last Team

1 Brock Kautz G Fr 6-0 195 Rochester, Minnesota Minnesota Wilderness (NAHL)

2 Jack Sadek D Fr 6-2 183 Lakeville, Minnesota Lakeville North (USHS)

3 Jack Glover D So 6-3 210 Golden Valley, Minnesota USNDTP (NTDP)

4 Steve Johnson D So 6-1 195 Excelsior, Minnesota Omaha Lancers (USHL)

6 Ryan Collins D So 6-5 212 Bloomington, Minnesota USNDTP (NTDP)

9 Ryan Reilly F Sr 5-8 165 Chanhassen, Minnesota Penticton Vees (BCHL)

10 Brent Gates F Fr 6-2 197 Grand Rapids, Michigan Green Bay Gamblers (USHL)

11 Nick Seeler D Sr 6-2 192 Eden Prairie, Minnesota Des Moines/Muskegon (USHL)

12 Mike Szmatula (TRANSFER – Sitting Out 2015-2016) F Jr 5-9 182 Commerce Township, Michigan Dubuque Fighting Saints (USHL)

13 Taylor Cammarata F Jr 5-7 160 Plymouth, Minnesota Waterloo Black Hawks (USHL)

14 Curt Simonson D Fr 6-3 210 Grand Rapids, Minnesota Minnesota Magicians (NAHL)

15 A.J. Michaelson F Sr 6-0 194 Apple Valley, Minnesota Waterloo Black Hawks (USHL)

16 Jack Ramsey F Fr 6-3 185 Chanhassen, Minnesota Penticton Vees (BCHL)

17 Tommy Novak F Fr 6-1 182 River Falls, Wisconsin Waterloo Black Hawks (USHL)

18 Leon Bristedt F So 5-8 185 Stockholm, Sweden Linkoping

19 Vinni Lettieri F Jr 5-10 180 Excelsior, Minnesota Lincoln Stars (USHL)

20 Michael Brodzinski D Jr 5-10 202 Ham Lake, Minnesota Muskegon Lumberjacks (USHL)

21 Connor Reilly (A) F Jr 6-0 180 Chanhassen, Minnesota Penticton Vees (BCHL)

22 Tyler Sheehy F Fr 5-10 182 Burnsville, Minnesota Youngstown Phantoms (USHL)

23 Ryan Norman F Fr 5-10 204 Maplewood, Minnesota Shattuck-St. Mary's (USHS)

24 Hudson Fasching (A) F Jr 6-2 207 Burnsville, Minnesota USNDTP (USHL)

25 Justin Kloos © F Jr 5-9 180 Lakeville, Minnesota Waterloo Black Hawks (USHL)

26 Darian Romanko F Fr 6-1 202 Shoreview, Minnesota Minnesota Wilderness (NAHL)

27 Mitch Rogge F Jr 5-10 190 Eden Prairie, Minnesota Springfield Jr. Blues (NAHL)

28 Jake Bischoff (A) D Jr 6-0 190 Grand Rapids, Minnesota Grand Rapids High School (USHS)

29 Robin Höglund F So 6-3 212 Mölndal, Sweden Janesville Jets (NAHL)

31 Ryan Coyne G Sr 6-1 214 Plymouth, Minnesota Chicago Hitmen (NAHL)

34 Nick Lehr G So 5-11 183 Roseville, Minnesota Austin Bruins (NAHL)

37 Eric Schierhorn G Fr 6-0 192 Anchorage, Alaska Muskegon Lumberjacks (USHL)

SCHEDULE

Day Date Time Poll Score Opponent Result

Sat. Oct. 10 7:00 CT Vermont - UVM 3 - GOPHERS 0 - 0-1-0 on the season

Fri. Oct. 16 7:00 CT Minnesota-Duluth - UMD 3 GOPHERS 1 - 0-2-0 on the season

Sat. Oct. 17 7:00 CT @ Minnesota-Duluth

Fri. Oct. 23 7:00 CT Northeastern

Sat. Oct. 24 8:00 CT Northeastern

Fri. Nov. 6 7:30 ET @ Notre Dame

Sat. Nov. 7 6:30 ET @ Notre Dame

Fri. Nov. 13 7:00 CT @ Minnesota State

Sat. Nov. 14 7:00 CT Minnesota State

Fri. Nov. 27 6:00 CT St. Cloud State

Sun. Nov. 29 6:00 CT St. Cloud State

Fri. Dec. 4 7:00 CT Ohio State

Sat. Dec. 5 7:00 CT Ohio State

Fri. Dec. 11 7:00 ET @ Michigan

Sat. Dec. 12 8:30 ET @ Michigan

Fri. Jan. 1 7:00 CT Connecticut Mariucci Classic

Sat. Jan. 2 7:00 ET Ferris St/Harvard Mariucci Classic

Fri. Jan. 8 6:30 ET @ Penn State

Sat. Jan. 9 3:00 ET @ Penn State

Fri. Jan. 15 8:00 CT Michigan State

Sat. Jan. 16 7:30 CT Michigan State

Fri. Jan. 22 8:00 CT @ Wisconsin

Sat. Jan. 23 7:00 CT @ Wisconsin

Sat. Jan. 30 4:00 CT Bemidji State North Star College Cup

Sun. Jan. 31 1:00/4:00 CT Minn St./St. Cloud North Star College Cup

Fri. Feb. 5 7:00 CT Penn State

Sat. Feb. 6 4:00 CT Penn State

Fri. Feb. 12 6:30 ET @ Ohio State

Sat. Feb. 13 7:00 ET @ Ohio State

Thu. Feb. 25 7:30 CT Michigan

Fri. Feb. 26 8:00 CT Michigan

Fri. Mar. 4 7:00 ET @ Michigan State

Sat. Mar. 5 7:00 ET @ Michigan State

Fri. Mar. 11 7:00 CT Wisconsin

Sat. Mar. 12 7:00 CT Wisconsin

UVM should get them off to an opening loss tomorrow night, but hoping for a big year from Hudson Fasching.

UVM should get them off to an opening loss tomorrow night, but hoping for a big year from Hudson Fasching.
I'm expecting some sloppy and nervous play out of all those freshmen. But you never know. A loss tomorrow wouldn't surprise me but I'm expecting them to win at Mariucci in front of the partisan crowd of 10,000.

Is The Don on the hotseat if the team struggles in the big ten? I get that the players have to execute on the ice and they are young but the near misses are killing me but at some point you need to consider cycling in new leadership, right?

I miss the WCHA. Sigh.

Is The Don on the hotseat if the team struggles in the big ten? I get that the players have to execute on the ice and they are young but the near misses are killing me but at some point you need to consider cycling in new leadership, right?

I miss the WCHA. Sigh.
Man, do I ever miss the WCHA as well. Don't get me started on the Big Ten BS.

But, no, I don't think Don is on the hot seat for a few reasons: 1) National Championships, 2) Regular and Postseason Titles, and 3) We only really get 2-3 seasons from our quality talent.

However, if he goes .500 or worse in the Big Crappy Ten this year, questions and rumors will swell and he could very well have to prove something next year. I don't expect that to happen though. I think we are too skilled not contend for the regular and postseason titles.

About an hour away from game time. Super excited for the new season.

I'm guessing the top line will be Bristedt-Kloos-Fasching but we'll see. Sounds like Schierhorn will start in goal tonight. Novak and Sheehy have been touted as guys that can also step up and fill the goal scoring void. I don't know anything about either. Sheehy played for Burnsville and didn't make the state tournament so I've never seen him play. Novak is from Wisconsin.

In interviews this week, Lucia hinted that the three other lines would all have freshman centers. It will be fun to see what the lines are for the PP and PK too.

GO GOPHERS!

FIRST PERIOD SUMMARY

The first eight minutes of the first had 3 penalties (two on Vermont) without goals. Gopher PP looked decent but not threatening, if that makes sense. Conner Reilly let loose his giant cannon shot that had a chance but the Vermont goalie slid over just in time.

Kloos and Fasching look like they know exactly where and what each other are going to be and do. They had that chemistry last year too but this is even stronger than their bond last year.

Some incredibly sloppy play by the Gophers especially by the freshmen in the neutral zone. No damage done early on but it did lead to a few 3 on 2s and 2 on 1s. Not smart in front of Shierhorn as a freshman goalie. The freshmen skaters are quite fast on their feet. Still trying to learn names and numbers on these guys. Hopefully they have the endurance for the college schedule.

Vermont had a few great scoring opportunities and found the goal with 8 seconds left. Off a freshman turnover in the neutral zone, of course.

Vermont 1 - Gophers 0.

SECOND PERIOD SUMMARY

First ten minutes were back and forth with Vermont controlling a fair portion of the play. Second half solid Gopher play but way too many freshman offsides calls. While expected, it's going to kill us next weekend against UMD.

Cammarata is never in the right place as usual. I swear that guy tried to find a way to be the opposing team's third defenseman.

Getting things better situated in the neutral zone but still a bit off a bit at times. Again, expected.

Schierhorn settling in but, man, do I hate watching freshman goalies. The lack of knowledge of the player themselves crossed with them attempting to do too much sometimes is nerve-wracking.

Not hearing Lettieri's name too much. Vermont's defense is doing a heck of a job on him. They tried to free him on two or three long passes but Vermont was all over it.

Still Vermont 1 - Gophers 0 after two.

THIRD PERIOD SUMMARY - FINAL VERMONT 3 - GOPHERS 0

Lucia juggled lines in the third putting Reilly on the top line instead of Gates. It didn't help.

Vermont scored early on in a 2 on 2 turnover in the neutral zone. Schierhorn blocked the first shot but UVM got a great bounce and knocked it in at a sharp angle.

Vermont did a great job start to finish of being in passing lanes and getting the Gophers out of the offensive zone. Also did very well when they needed to slow the game down. Very smart and patient team.

Refs let a few things go early, IMO. But please note that this is coming from a giant homer.

Vermont's PK is outstanding. They get in that box and play it extremely smart. We didn't do a good job of making them move much on the PP. Gopher PP was a passing attack without a lot of great opportunity.

Gophers pulled their goalie with about 90 seconds left, turned the puck over in the neutral zone (hear a common theme?), and eventually gave up the ENG.

Hats off to Vermont. They knew what they needed to do to slow the Gophers and executed very well.

ETA: Of all the years to not start with an exhibition game, why this one????

Series Preview: UMD home and home

This is why you start a year with 10 freshmen (7 starting) with an EXHIBITION GAME. After losing 3-0 last Saturday and generally looking and skating sloppily in and about the neutral zone, the #15 Gophers now face #7 UMD (previously #2 and NCHC preseason team to beat). UMD ended the Gopher's season last year in the first round of the NCAA tournament and return a solid core of players that should hold the Bulldogs in the top 10 all season. Last weekend, UMD lost to Bemidji State and had a game cancelled due to a power outage. UMD will play Friday without Soucy on the blue line due to a suspension for an illegal hit.

Who will get the first Gopher goal of the season? Will a freshman get his first Gopher goal? Can the Gophers salvage a split over their interstate foes? Most years I'd be hopeful for a sweep but I think we need to temper our expectations for this series, especially in light of UVM sticking it to us last weekend (again, hats off to UVM).

Cameranesi and Toninato lead a strong and solid Bulldog team against the Gophers. This is a GIANT early season test that is going to show how prepared (or unprepared) this Gopher team is. It will have HUGE PairWise implications later this season. Kloos and Fasching looked awfully good last weekend but couldn't put the puck in the net. Other than that, Bristedt looked a lot sharper than he was early last season but that's it for the highlights from this Gopher team so far. I've heard that you've gotta be able to score to win games so, yeah.

Schierhorn was pretty solid in goal last weekend. I'm assuming he gets the start Friday and Saturday is up in the air. So many freaking unknowns still with this season and this team.

Prediction: I didn't run a prediction last Saturday due to a lack of knowledge about Vermont. Rud called it anyway. While I am wishing for a split, I'm feeling that 0-3 is the safer bet. Doesn't stop me from being a giant homer though. I'm calling a split with each team guarding their home ice respectively. I hope. Gulp.

FIRST PERIOD SUMMARY - UMD 0 GOPHERS 0

Love the instate rivalry. Hits were big all over the ice between these two teams. Raskob of UMD went flying for a check, checked himself ### over teakettle into his own bench AND earned himself a trip to the penalty box with a charging call :lmao:

Gophers had problems getting into the zone all period, between great forechecking by UMD and the Gophers coming in offsides

UMD puck pressure and team experience is the difference in this game. UMD does many things well naturally, Minnesota has to try so hard to do the little things.

But the offense really started to come together in the last half of the period. Guys started seeing each other on all lines and were looking for tic-tac-toe goals.

UMD had the best chances including one puck off the pipe and back to the blue line on the power play.

Schierhorn looks great and starting to look more calm.

SECOND PERIOD SUMMARY - UMD 2 GOPHERS 0

Frighteningly scary UMD PP. Gophers just can't tie up and come up with the puck. UMD passes so swiftly and effortlessly. Scored on two of them that period with the first on a gorgeous one timer with the ding off the pipe to boot. The second on a BS call.

The Gophers just struggled top to bottom all period. The second UMD goal seemed to provide a spark but not a fire. There's a monkey on our back and we can't shake it and play hockey.

Seeler is a huge addition. That guy plays quality minutes all over the ice.

UMD head and shoulders better than the Gophers. Certainly a team that should go deep in the NCAA tournament.

THIRD PERIOD SUMMARY - UMD 3 GOPHERS 1

BRENT GATES JR, the freshman, gets the first and his first Gopher goal of the season.

UMD answers 32 seconds later. Toninato just walked in and through the Gopher defense to score on his third or fourth consecutive shot. He knew he could and walked right on through anyhow. Embarrassing.

The Gophers just can't mount shots on goal which is not the norm. Lines are going to be very different tomorrow, I assume, but its hard to hide all of your inexperience. Any prolonged offense for any amount of time would be welcomed at this point.

The Gophers are a day late and a dollar short mostly with passing and shooting this season. At the end of the third, it seemed like the adjusted lines started to get some sort of at least sub-par instead of zero offense going. 100ish seconds of 6-5 provided a strong attack but nothing gained at the end.

All in all, I walked in expecting a sweep and that's probably the case. UMD is a great hockey team. The Gophers aren't a top 20 team at this point.

Users who are viewing this thread