What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Aerial Assault's ***OFFICIAL Miscellaneous/Catch-All TV Thread***: Freshly Edited Since Like Two People Asked (1 Viewer)

What is the best new show of the last two (or so) TV seasons?

• The Man in the High Castle

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The Handmaid's Tale

Votes: 4 10.5%
  • Feud: Bette and Joan

Votes: 7 18.4%
  • This Is Us

Votes: 3 7.9%
  • Legion

Votes: 6 15.8%
  • Preacher

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • Blood Drive

• Riverdale

Votes: 8 21.1%
  • Victoria

• Stranger Things

• Better Call Saul

Votes: 4 10.5%
  • Other (Explain)

• Total voters

Aerial Assault

Footballguy
NEW THREAD CREATED 8/6/2017

Inspired by Willie Neslon's appeal, I thought a thread like this might be fun.

So the idea here is:

- Comment on shows that don't have a thread, or have a deeply buried thread, or whatever

- Comment generally as to what you're watching now. Want to make a Walking Dead crack/observation without posing in that forum but also add some HIP NEW Jon Snow speculation or advise how awful the Big Bang Theory is and how Kaley Cuoco needs long hair like tim needs controversy, AND ALL IN ONE GLORIOUS POST??? That could go here.

- Talk about TV shows of the past, shows you like the idea of but don't watch, shows you despise, ask for recommendations for bingewatching, etc.

- Post reviews of shows that don't have their own thread

And so on. I think there's potential here. I'll hang up and listen and if no one jumps in, will start off with a few posts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Inspired by Willie Neslon's appeal, I thought a thread like this might be fun.

So the idea here is:

- Comment on shows that don't have a thread, or have a deeply buried thread, or whatever

- Comment generally as to what you're watching now. Want to make a Walking Dead crack/observation without posing in that forum but also add some HIP NEW Jon Snow speculation or advise how awful the Big Bang Theory is and how Kaley Cuoco needs long hair like tim needs controversy, AND ALL IN ONE GLORIOUS POST??? That could go here.

- Talk about TV shows of the past, shows you like the idea of but don't watch, shows you despise, ask for recommendations for bingewatching, etc.

- Post reviews of shows that don't have their own thread

And so on. I think there's potential here. I'll hang up and listen and if no one jumps in, will start off with a few posts.
Why would anyone bother to post about shows they don't like? That's just stupid.

Ok, so first random observation about what appears to be a lousy new TV season: we're really enjoying Blindspot on NBC. We were big fans of The Blacklist when it premiered, but (even though we still watch it), that show has lost its way a bit, and one big reason why is that the show refuses to solve the mystery of how Spader knows Megan Boone. JUST TELL US ALREADY. Now, it may be a fakeout, but Blindspot set up something similar, then solved it in the third episode, simultaneously earning wild applause from us and also deepening the connection between two of the characters. The show also moves fast and the FBI is not quite as stupid as it is in many FBI shows.

Another random observation: I swear, I'll watch any FBI show. X-Files, Blacklist, Mindless Criminals, Blindspot, Bones, Fringe, Wiseguy, 24 (for one or two seasons when the FBI was involved), The Mentalist, Without A Trace. Seems like the only major FBI show of the past 10-15 years I didn't watch was Numb3rs.

The pilot of The Grinder wasn't bad but I don't think I'll be watching it for too long. I think it's a limited premise that will eventually become a sappy family show.

I hope I'm wrong.

The pilot of The Grinder wasn't bad but I don't think I'll be watching it for too long. I think it's a limited premise that will eventually become a sappy family show.

I hope I'm wrong.
This is the sitcom with Rob Lowe? I don't watch sitcoms at all. Last one I watched was Sex And The City, which wasn't really a standard sitcom. BUT please talk about any genre in here.

I hope I'm wrong.
This is the sitcom with Rob Lowe? I don't watch sitcoms at all. Last one I watched was Sex And The City, which wasn't really a standard sitcom.
That's funny. The only show that you listed that I've seen was 24.

99% of sitcoms suck.

I hope I'm wrong.
This is the sitcom with Rob Lowe? I don't watch sitcoms at all. Last one I watched was Sex And The City, which wasn't really a standard sitcom.
That's funny. The only show that you listed that I've seen was 24.

99% of sitcoms suck.
Well, if you don't like law enforcement shows, then yeah. Without a Trace, though, is in my all-time Top Ten series. 24 would be as well and the X-Files maybe just outside. Oh, The Mentalist was damn good, too, but had a lot of problems midway through its run. The others I listed are/were fine to crap (Criminal Minds - that's the SO's and I watch it too for unknown reasons; utter garbage for all but four of their eps each year).

I guess I can keep bumping this for a while any maybe some others will chime in . . . .

What I watched this summer:

Mr. Robot ***** S1, USA, top-shelf writing and acting, great premise and three babes (one unreal) to boot

The Last Ship ***** S2, TNT, many will dismiss this as mindless action and that's fine, whatever; it was really compelling and rah-rah with actual good guys, not antiheroes. Feels like it has the budget of movies, not TV.

Proof *** S1, TNT, cancelled, intriguing idea about cardiothoracic surgeon Jennifer Beals (still hot) researching the afterlife, but had a lot of weaknesses

Complications **1/2 S1, USA, cancelled, I guess it was safe to (try to) bring back the medical drama? Got increasingly goofy despite nice acting from everyone

Dark Matter ***** S1, Syfy, outstanding show about a crew of bad guys who wake up from stasis in space with no memories. Had a couple of missteps and two dud eps out of 13 but the character stud was fascinating. Borrowed a lot from Alien in look, feel, and big bad interstellar corporations. Renewed.

The Returned/Les Revenants ***** S1, French show that defies description; apparently only on Netflix for now until S2 shows at the end of the month on Sundance. Spooky and unsettling. Uneven but great.

True Detective *** S2, HBO, covered here amply in its own thread. I personally didn't hate it and thought Farrell, Vaughn and McAdams were good. Hire a co-writer to rein in Nic Piz's ridiculous dialogue and S3 with new characters could be good.

Deutschland83 **** S1, Sundance, German language show about East German spies in the Cold War. Started gangbusters and then they didn't know how to end it so it fizzled a bit. Not sure if there will be more.

Oh, and Wayward Pines on Fox, S1, presumably cancelled, was awful, maybe two stars max.

I hope I'm wrong.
I think the show has been pretty good so far. Lowe seems to have found a second-wind to his career with the aging prettyboy shtick. I keep wondering why the adult Fred Savage doesn't sound anything like Daniel Stern.

I hope I'm wrong.
That's funny. The only show that you listed that I've seen was 24.99% of sitcoms suck.
Well, if you don't like law enforcement shows, then yeah. Without a Trace, though, is in my all-time Top Ten series. 24 would be as well and the X-Files maybe just outside. Oh, The Mentalist was damn good, too, but had a lot of problems midway through its run. The others I listed are/were fine to crap (Criminal Minds - that's the SO's and I watch it too for unknown reasons; utter garbage for all but four of their eps each year).
I also enjoyed Without a Trace.

The X-Files is in my top 5 all-time.

I have watched most of the Criminal Minds episodes the past few years. It is okay. I like seeing the horrible people get caught.

Why aren't people talking about the current season of the Amazing Race? :(
There's a thread about it (with very little activity) buried somewhere, but that's sort of one of the ideas I had for this thread, to discuss thoughts across the spectrum, not just in (slow-moving, little-trafficked) threads for one show each.

We've watched all three eps of the current Amazing Race season thus far, including last night's, and I'd be happy to discuss with you in here. :thumbup: I wasn't sure about the cast at first but in episode 3 (last night's, first aired 10/9/2015), I thought the season started to round into good form.

I hope I'm wrong.
That's funny. The only show that you listed that I've seen was 24.99% of sitcoms suck.
I also enjoyed Without a Trace.

The X-Files is in my top 5 all-time.

I have watched most of the Criminal Minds episodes the past few years. It is okay. I like seeing the horrible people get caught.
Nice to hear from another Without a Trace fan. It lost its way and declined a bit when Poppy Montgomery insisted on having her pregnancy AND baby daddy (oof) written into the script, but before that (S1 through S5) it was outstanding.

Yup, X-Files is great. Looking forward to the new ones in a few months.

Criminal Minds shows occasional flashes (like last season's "Mr. Scratch," which I believe was the penultimate ep of the season and one of its best ever), but mostly disappoints me because the writers are mostly hacks. If they ever took the hot, gorgeous A.J. Cook off I might not watch, but I have a feeling this may be the last season anyway.

Watched S2E1 of The Flash last night. Superhero shows don't seem to get much play in the FFA, but this show is outstanding and very true to the comic. Any Flash treatment has to involve time travel and parallel worlds, and they're really handling it magnificently. I have much more confidence in this/Arrow/Supergirl than any of Warner's planned JLA movies.

Watched S2E1 of The Flash last night. Superhero shows don't seem to get much play in the FFA, but this show is outstanding and very true to the comic. Any Flash treatment has to involve time travel and parallel worlds, and they're really handling it magnificently. I have much more confidence in this/Arrow/Supergirl than any of Warner's planned JLA movies.
I enjoy The Flash and Arrow, not sure if I want to watch Supergirl. Haven't decided yet.

I enjoy The Flash and Arrow, not sure if I want to watch Supergirl. Haven't decided yet.
Glad to hear you like Flash and Arrow. Arrow S3 was troublesome but still fun. I heard the pilot ep for Supergirl (I read two reviews of the "leaked" pilot that weren't very detail-heavy or spoilery) was pretty good. They certainly appear to have gotten the costume right and Melissa Benoist (who I only know from what I believe was the very first episode of Homeland, in a certainly memorable scene; I never watched Glee) seems to have been well-cast based on likeability, looks and a frankly amazing figure. Now whether she can act remains to be seen.

Glad to hear you like Flash and Arrow. Arrow S3 was troublesome but still fun. I heard the pilot ep for Supergirl (I read two reviews of the "leaked" pilot that weren't very detail-heavy or spoilery) was pretty good. They certainly appear to have gotten the costume right and Melissa Benoist (who I only know from what I believe was the very first episode of Homeland, in a certainly memorable scene; I never watched Glee) seems to have been well-cast based on likeability, looks and a frankly amazing figure. Now whether she can act remains to be seen.
I watched the first Supergirl episode last night. It wasn't too bad, though I am still not 100% sold on it. I really wasn't into Superman either. I will probably give it a couple of more episodes.

Shows I have started in the past few months and stayed with:

Public Morals - my wife likes this one more that I do. The storyline is decent but it comes off as a little to scripted with too much wiseguy talk. I may stay with it through the end of the first season.

The ******* Executioner - people are right...it is SOA on horseback with swords instead of guns. The acting is pretty bad - bad enough to keep it entertaining.

Black Jesus - My new guilty pleasure. I dont watch much Adult Swim content from Cartoon Network but that may change after this. The episodes get a little repetitive but it still makes me giggle.

Quantico - I have only watched the pilot thus far but I am intrigued.

Other shows firmly on the radar and watched weekly: Last Week Tonight, Drunk History (been watching since its pilot - brilliant idea), Married, You're the Worst and Men in Blazers. 60 Minutes seems to have upped their game this season as well.

I watched the first Supergirl episode last night. It wasn't too bad, though I am still not 100% sold on it. I really wasn't into Superman either. I will probably give it a couple of more episodes.
One of the issues with Superman and Supergirl (in comics too, not just live adaptations) has always been that when a character can lift trains and jets and cannot be harmed by any conventional means, the writing has to work really hard to come up with credible threats. "Oh, this tranquilizer dart came from a red sun, muah hah" and other Kryptonians get old fast. Shoot, the last 20 minutes of Man of Steel was pretty bad with the tedious CGI destruction and they had much longer to think about that than a weekly TV show. One recurring idea in the comics is that Kryptonians fare poorly against magic; not sure if they'll go to that well here. They may need to establish some upper limits to her strength, have some sort of recurring black ops squad of baddies who have armor and technology that can contend with her for some reason, etc. Dunno. I was definitely surprised when it went to series. I'm going to wait for the regular airing of the pilot and see what I think, but I want it to work.

Public Morals - my wife likes this one more that I do. The storyline is decent but it comes off as a little to scripted with too much wiseguy talk. I may stay with it through the end of the first season.

The ******* Executioner - people are right...it is SOA on horseback with swords instead of guns. The acting is pretty bad - bad enough to keep it entertaining.

Black Jesus - My new guilty pleasure. I dont watch much Adult Swim content from Cartoon Network but that may change after this. The episodes get a little repetitive but it still makes me giggle.

Other shows firmly on the radar and watched weekly: Last Week Tonight, Drunk History (been watching since its pilot - brilliant idea), Married, You're the Worst and Men in Blazers. 60 Minutes seems to have upped their game this season as well.
Thanks for this post as I missed or am missing most of these. I watch Bill Maher most weeks but have never seen LWT, which is dumb on my part. Dropped ******* after the pilot for the reasons you mentioned, just too stupid (and I have a connection with one of the actors). Since almost any FBI show reels me in, maybe I should watch Quantico.

Would you say Public Morals is worth a bingewatch? The promos didn't really grab me as I felt like The Shield and Boardwalk Empire were being fused and had amply covered this territory.

Thanks for this post as I missed or am missing most of these. I watch Bill Maher most weeks but have never seen LWT, which is dumb on my part. Dropped ******* after the pilot for the reasons you mentioned, just too stupid (and I have a connection with one of the actors). Since almost any FBI show reels me in, maybe I should watch Quantico.

Would you say Public Morals is worth a bingewatch? The promos didn't really grab me as I felt like The Shield and Boardwalk Empire were being fused and had amply covered this territory.
Yeah PM is probably more of a bingewatch on On Demand if you get bored or housebound in the winter. It's a timepiece cop show in the early 60s back when the cops and goodfellas all wore suits and hats. The clothes, cars and general scenery are pretty cool to look at. Very heavy on the New York schlockiness (if that makes sense) with the accents and attitudes. Good casting I think but a little overacted. This is not in the same league as either The Shield or Boardwalk Empire.

As far as LWT I enjoy it very much because it is about 25 mins long and entertaining. Unfortunately it is not real easy to go back and rewatch as it covers events as or soon after they are happening which makes rewatching less appealing.

Like I said Quantico is one that will bring me back but it is the type of show that I will watch 3 episodes one evening to catch up rather than having to watch it the night it is on or the next day. It is hard to stand up against other Sunday night programming (football, post season baseball, and just better shows).

The Hardline said:
Aerial Assault said:
The Hardline said:

Yeah PM is probably more of a bingewatch on On Demand if you get bored or housebound in the winter. It's a timepiece cop show in the early 60s back when the cops and goodfellas all wore suits and hats. The clothes, cars and general scenery are pretty cool to look at. Very heavy on the New York schlockiness (if that makes sense) with the accents and attitudes. Good casting I think but a little overacted. This is not in the same league as either The Shield or Boardwalk Empire.

As far as LWT I enjoy it very much because it is about 25 mins long and entertaining. Unfortunately it is not real easy to go back and rewatch as it covers events as or soon after they are happening which makes rewatching less appealing.

Like I said Quantico is one that will bring me back but it is the type of show that I will watch 3 episodes one evening to catch up rather than having to watch it the night it is on or the next day. It is hard to stand up against other Sunday night programming (football, post season baseball, and just better shows).
Thanks! On PM, I meant that the subject matter seemed to fuse The Shield and Boardwalk Empire a little bit (not necessarily referring to the quality). But I didn't realize from the promos that it was in New York in the 60s, so throw Mad Men into that brew as well. Sounds like I will binge on demand as you recommended.

I've recognized the same thing with Bill Maher that you've identified with LWT as far as a shelf life. In fact I think I need to delete three unwatched Mahers from my DVR now.

I did not realize until your comments made me go look that Quantico starred Priyanka Chopra in essentially her U.S. debut. Add in the FBI subject matter and now I'm inching toward adding this one, although I think we may be at capacity. The Voice is a huge time sink although we really like it.

Since the threadstarter said it was okay, sports announcing/television is fair game. This enables me to note how awful Cal Ripken is in the booth. Timing is bad, pedestrian observations for such a legendary player, and he sounds like he's ticked off about pretty much everything. Awful.

Who voted for Dark Matter and why? I loved it and would like to hear someone else's take. I was floored SyFy actually figured out to renew it.

Had to stop on the The ******* Executioner....just too bad. But I did start The Last Kingdom on BBC America this past week and enjoyed it. Should be a nice fill in.

The Hardline said:
Had to stop on the The ******* Executioner....just too bad. But I did start The Last Kingdom on BBC America this past week and enjoyed it. Should be a nice fill in.
Nice, I was going to ask for a rec on that. Thanks. Will add; I assume I can still catch the pilot.

S1E4 of Blindspot ("Bones May Rot" - I think the titles are anagrams). It was the fourth one so naturally it was time to have the Deadly Virus Episode required for all action shows. This time, a couple of kooks were actively trying to thin the world's population, which actually was a bit of a twist on that trope, and there was no obligatory graphic of a computer simulation showing the virus spreading to every corner of the Earth, which was a nice omission. Good use of NYC locations and there were more than just the three FBI agents responding to the threat. Still enjoyed it, still love Jaimie Alexander and the gruff lead. BUT they went Blacklist at the end and have now introduced doubt about whether or not Jaimie's character is actually who they said she was at the end of E3. Grrr. Doesn't matter, will keep watching because of the appealing cast. But there are danger signs including an out-of-nowhere gambling problem for one of the leads, which was a dumb call.

Active shows I'm watching:

The Walking Dead

Fear The Walking Dead

The Leftovers

Fargo

The Red Road

Game of Thrones

Better Call Saul

True Detective

The Americans

Bates Motel

The Strain

12 Monkeys

Hell on Wheels

Pretty close to dropping those last two from the list.

Looking forward to:

Vinyl

The People vs. OJ Simpson

Who voted for Dark Matter and why? I loved it and would like to hear someone else's take. I was floored SyFy actually figured out to renew it.
I was going to but went with Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt. Didn't expect such a well-written story from a SyFy show (a lot of bad in it but the good makes up for it IMO).

The Walking Dead

Fear The Walking Dead

The Leftovers

Fargo

The Red Road

Game of Thrones

Better Call Saul

True Detective

The Americans

Bates Motel

The Strain

12 Monkeys

Hell on Wheels

Very close to mine but gave up on Leftovers and 12 Monkeys. Never watched Bates Motel and never heard of Red Road. I'll have to look it up.

I watch all the rest plus, Vikings, The Returned, Orphan Black and American Horror Story

The Walking Dead

Fear The Walking Dead

The Leftovers

Fargo

The Red Road

Game of Thrones

Better Call Saul

True Detective

The Americans

Bates Motel

The Strain

12 Monkeys

Hell on Wheels

Very close to mine but gave up on Leftovers and 12 Monkeys. Never watched Bates Motel and never heard of Red Road. I'll have to look it up.

I watch all the rest plus, Vikings, The Returned, Orphan Black and American Horror Story
Gave up on the returned after about 4 episodes. Couldn't care less about any of the characters.

First season of American Horror Story was good. Since then it's been laughably bad.

The Walking Dead

Fear The Walking Dead

The Leftovers

Fargo

The Red Road

Game of Thrones

Better Call Saul

True Detective

The Americans

Bates Motel

The Strain

12 Monkeys

Hell on Wheels

Looking forward to:

Vinyl

I gave up on The Americans about halfway thru Season 2. Too much soap opera between husband and wife and the storylines were either too annoying (Kimmy) or too unbelievable.

The Walking Dead

Fear The Walking Dead

The Leftovers

Fargo

The Red Road

Game of Thrones

Better Call Saul

True Detective

The Americans

Bates Motel

The Strain

12 Monkeys

Hell on Wheels

Looking forward to:

Vinyl

I gave up on The Americans about halfway thru Season 2. Too much soap opera between husband and wife and the storylines were either too annoying (Kimmy) or too unbelievable.
Hmm. I think you might find they scaled back on some of what you didn't like in S3.

I was going to but went with Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt. Didn't expect such a well-written story from a SyFy show (a lot of bad in it but the good makes up for it IMO).
My mom, who has become some voracious consumer of all things sci-fi (which is cute and awesome), recommended Dark Matter to me; I might have missed it otherwise. I had never heard of the comic. Its quality surprised me as well, particularly after the initial eps seemed to have way too much of an "Alien" feel to them in terms of the ship layout and look, the corporations, etc. None of that ended up mattering (although I would like a better sense of where everything is on the ship, how many decks it has, etc. - just stuff that interests me).

I thought S1 was terrific with only two eps I would consider subpar (Four goes to meet the guy his family sent after him, and the first space station visit, even though the latter advanced the arc plot). The space-zombie-on-derelict-ship ep was right out of Star Trek and I loved it. The final four episodes kicked it all into another gear. With the way it ended I have to believe SyFy told them way in advance that it was getting renewed but who knows. That would have been some frustrating way to have a series end.

I was surprised to find that everyone on the Previously TV forums hates One; I like him, like the actor, and enjoy his comic relief. But then I often sense that I am quite different from most of the posters over there demographically, to say no more.

Gave up on the returned after about 4 episodes. Couldn't care less about any of the characters.

First season of American Horror Story was good. Since then it's been laughably bad.
Yeah, The Returned isn't something I'd recommend but I stuck with it thinking it was one season and done. I'll check out Season 2 though.

I like AHS even though each season seems to fall apart midway through. But it's different enough from other shows, so I like it.

I forgot to mention Wayward Pines. Not sure yet if it's back for Season 2.

Red Road looks good btw. Will look for it.

Users who are viewing this thread