What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

This is the week to start Spiller (1 Viewer)

Crystalsteam99

Footballguy
With Colston out,and the Saints playing the Falcons, in what should be one of the highest scoring games of the week. This is the week,Spiller should be more involved. The Saints paid all this money for their new toy,and if he isn't a bigger part of the game plan(like how they use to use Bush and Thomas ) in what should be a shoot-out,and most likely them playing from behind,then I give up! This is the week Spiller should break out and finally become a big part of the offense. If not,all hope is lost,and he is a waste of bench space.

You're probably right since I dumped him. As with Sproles it's hard to put much faith in 3rd string HBs but they'll tease you with a couple productive PPR games every year.

I think Spiller probably IS a waste of bench space but I think I am going to roll the dice with him at RB this week, bench Forsett for now, and move Moncreif to Flex. If Forsett practices Friday and looks to be a go on Sunday then I can move him to Flex and bench Moncreif at the last minute.

Dropped him. I hope he does well if someone took the risk on him in our league. As of a half hour ago he was still on the wire.

I thought last week was the week. So glad I started him then, but right now he's firmly on my bench. I'd love to drop him.....

Already dropped him in one league, firmly on my bench in another, and due to injuries, byes and CJ Anderson sucking, I am going to roll the dice with Spiller in a 3rd league.

So I have it all covered.

Still holding him in 2 leagues. Started him last week in both. :yucky:

I would be starting him again in one, but I have West, so I'll be going that route.

I've had the same sense but the same has been true the last 2 weeks as well and nada. It's the stoopid falcs, at home, disgruntled fanbase, prime time game, they need the spark, Colston (IIRC) is out.... all the elements of the recipe are there.... except Payton has been absolutely steadfast in constantly using Ingram over Robinson, Spiller & Murphy in total contrast to his gameplans over the prior 9 seasons.

I drafted him everywhere and he'll stay on my bench until he gets a load of targets. I will be screaming my head off at the game for them to use him tonight btw.

Last edited by a moderator:
Atlanta has been stingy on rush yards but generous on reception yards to RB's this year. Benching Ingram... because I think Payton with his 1-4 record has to pull out all of the stops, which will include playing Spiller to take advantage of Atlanta's generosity..

I want to buy in and the reasoning is sound.

But I just can't......especially since I already have other players from TNF in my lineup.

This situation just baffles me. Spiller is a constant tease I get it. But he looks healthy, the speed sure seems to be there, he has a fat paycheck... And Robinson consistently gets more snaps!? I do think Ingram looks really good, better than previous years and deserves to be the guy. I drafted Spiller as the COP back, but that appears to be Robinson. Is he not picking up the play book? Blocking? There has to be SOME reason he is 3rd in rotation.

Starting him with Martin off and Charles out, expecting 3-5 touches, about 1.8 pts. Anything better is gravy. Gravy I tell ya.

This situation just baffles me. Spiller is a constant tease I get it. But he looks healthy, the speed sure seems to be there, he has a fat paycheck... And Robinson consistently gets more snaps!? I do think Ingram looks really good, better than previous years and deserves to be the guy. I drafted Spiller as the COP back, but that appears to be Robinson. Is he not picking up the play book? Blocking? There has to be SOME reason he is 3rd in rotation.
I think Spiller has outsnapped Robinson in two of the last three games. But I get your general point. I don't know why Robinson is on the field at all, tbh. And I found it bizarre that Ingram was the guy in the game during catch up mode. Wtf?

On the field for under 30% of snaps...until he pushes that over 40, I don't think he can be wisely started as anything more than a prayer. Bummer, as I really thought he'd have a killer year, but the Saints seem completely unable to use him with any efficacy. Unless that changes tonight, I will probably drop him in any league I still have him next week as the byes really start to kick in.

I think Spiller has outsnapped Robinson in two of the last three games. But I get your general point. I don't know why Robinson is on the field at all, tbh. And I found it bizarre that Ingram was the guy in the game during catch up mode. Wtf?
Ingram is the wtf player getting too many snaps, not Robinson.

Ingrams solid and should be getting a large portion of carries. However, Spillers use in pass situations is just simply mind boggling.

Sean Payton(or Drew Brees) haven't been using this guy nearly enough. Same with Cooks. It's mind boggling.

Ingram is the wtf player getting too many snaps, not Robinson.
My "wtf" was in regard to Ingram's usage during "Theo Riddick time" as it shall be known this year. I would expect Spiller to be in during that time.

I don't think Robinson is better than Ingram or Spiller so I don't know why he's playing. He should be on the bench for insurance if one of those two guys gets hurt.

I read somewhere that he has been scolded by Brees for lining up wrong or running the wrong route. I fear that Spiller may not be digesting the playbook well.

I'm concerned they view him as a liability out there right now and are keeping his snaps down because of that.

So it's the week to start Spiller because you need him to do well? OK. Solid thread.

I read somewhere that he has been scolded by Brees for lining up wrong or running the wrong route. I fear that Spiller may not be digesting the playbook well.

I'm concerned they view him as a liability out there right now and are keeping his snaps down because of that.
I got the impression after watching a couple of earlier interviews that Brees likes Ingram a lot more than Spiller. That said, he's due tonight.

Whoa, an actual Spiller sighting!

ETA: got 4.5 from Spiller so far so barring a fumble I've gotten more than expected

My best guess is that the rumors of Spiller being slow to pick up the playbook are true. He reportedly scored a 10 on the wunderlic.

And if thats the case then Payton needs to call more of the plays that he knows. The Saints are 1-4 and need to get the ball in his hands more. I have no confidence that it will happen but I know that it should as I sit on my couch.

He must just not have the playbook down. Except for that last play, which went for 8, it is so predictable. Defense knows he is getting the ball before the snap. Finish strong so I can trade this bum....

Every handoff to Robinson is like a slap in the face to Spiller owners.

Give him a few more handoffs.

No, threads like these are good. They keep us on our toes to see if anyone has some insight into things that we may have not considered. Unfortunately, none of those insights came up.

FattyVM said:
No, threads like these are good. They keep us on our toes to see if anyone has some insight into things that we may have not considered. Unfortunately, none of those insights came up.
There were insights. It's just the people that that have been down on spiller for his entire career have given up trying to talk sense into people.

Worst lateral movement for a pass catching running back I have ever seen. Absolute worst. Way worse than fat guys like eddie lacy even

giveup said:
He must just not have the playbook down. Except for that last play, which went for 8, it is so predictable. Defense knows he is getting the ball before the snap. Finish strong so I can trade this bum....
I feel that's been a problem for Saints RBs the last few years. They switch their RBs in and out so often that when one comes in, you almost know what is going to happen. Once Spiller is in there, teams know they're going to throw. When Ingram is in, it's usually a run. Robinson has some success every few carries because they seem to have a little more balance while he is in there. Just way too predictable.

Worst lateral movement for a pass catching running back I have ever seen. Absolute worst. Way worse than fat guys like eddie lacy even
I think straight line speed has always been his big weapon. Not sure if he's ever shown much wiggle. Maybe some Bills homers can weigh in on that.

giveup said:
I feel that's been a problem for Saints RBs the last few years. They switch their RBs in and out so often that when one comes in, you almost know what is going to happen. Once Spiller is in there, teams know they're going to throw. When Ingram is in, it's usually a run. Robinson has some success every few carries because they seem to have a little more balance while he is in there. Just way too predictable.
I just haven't seen them play much but, on the predictability thing, I've heard that quite a bit this year.

Spiller can be electric on the field, and the Saints confound us every year with their RB usage, and the Saints have faced very tough run defenses basically every week so far. But I have not seen ANYTHING that makes me think I could EVER trust Spiller in my lineup. At this point I would need to see consecutive weeks of solid production and even then I wouldn't really trust him unless Ingram or Khiry were out with an injury.

tldr: Wasted roster space. Drop him.

When the hype comes back, inevitably - just do yourself a favor and ignore it.

I was seeing some places projecting him to catch a hundred balls this year. Even healthy I feel like that is a stretch for CJ.

He would have looked great as a Patriot, but I'm really glad it ended up how it did.

I almost cut him walking into the Saints game and my black & gold inner core wouldn't let me do it, images of Spiller breaking down the sideline were were dancing in my head. Ack. Have to wait Thu to Wed early am to drop.

Held him for the game just because I feared he would explode in prime time and I wouldn't be able to get him back. Cut him for Jordan Cameron ( who will likely get cut as Miami continues to suck ) Feels good, weight lifted off my shoulders. Totally cathartic

Cut him Thursday afternoon for Buck Allen. I was going to hold Spiller but decided to take a shot on someone new. It felt good to drop him and even better when he did jack last night.

Cut him Thursday afternoon for Buck Allen. I was going to hold Spiller but decided to take a shot on someone new. It felt good to drop him and even better when he did jack last night.
That's a good move. If Forsett ever misses significant time, Buck Allen could start for you.

Spiller, no.

Users who are viewing this thread