What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What would you do about this Blind Bid Waiver "Malfunction"? (1 Viewer)

Long Ball Larry

Footballguy
Our BB waivers run on Wednesday night. I did not put any bids in.

I woke up this morning and, much to my surprise, Charcandrick West had not been picked up. I immediately grabbed him.

One of the co-commissioners came to me today and said that one of the other owners said that he had put a bid of $17 in for West. The other co-commissioner looked at the transaction log and saw that the owner had a transaction of a blank player for $0. So the owner seemingly tried to do something, but there is no way of knowing what it was. If he did try to bid for West, he must not have hit Save Bid or whatever (this is MFL).

The co-commissioner who came to me said that he was inclined not to do anything but said that he would talk to me about it. He doesn't really know the other owner and I don't either. He is a friend of the other co-commissioner.

I don't really have any reason to suspect that the guy is lying.

What would you do? Would you relinquish West? I feel like it was probably an honest mistake, but it doesn't totally sit right with me. I guess my inclination is to tell the commissioner that he should do what he feels is right and I would not have an issue either way.

You did nothing wrong IMO. You should keep him. If the other guy flubbed up his bid for whatever reason, that's on him. I had a similar FAAB waivers run this year where the other guy paid $39 and added "no one". He just forgot to specify who he wanted and ended up paying to drop one of his players. Later on, he laughed about it on the message board and said someone he really wanted got swiped by a lesser bid. Lesson learned. Point is, don't give West back.

What would you do? Would you relinquish West? I feel like it was probably an honest mistake, but it doesn't totally sit right with me. I guess my inclination is to tell the commissioner that he should do what he feels is right and I would not have an issue either way.
I wouldn't voluntarily give up West unless there's some documentation (even hearsay) from before the waivers ran that the guy was planning to bid for him.

I agree with leaving it to the commissioner for the final decision.

agree with above, stupid isn't an excuse when you can clearly see the result on screen. this happens with my CBS league sometimes, I ask for screen shots since commissioners can't see individual bid screens even if the bidding is over. I have yet to have anyone claim system issues actually produce a screen shot of a legitimate bid. non-issue imo, nice pick up Larry.

You did nothing wrong IMO. You should keep him. If the other guy flubbed up his bid for whatever reason, that's on him. I had a similar FAAB waivers run this year where the other guy paid $39 and added "no one". He just forgot to specify who he wanted and ended up paying to drop one of his players. Later on, he laughed about it on the message board and said someone he really wanted got swiped by a lesser bid. Lesson learned. Point is, don't give West back.
:lmao: OOF

The guy never hit save. Really not much can be done. I would definitely not give him to the other owner. Whats to prevent someone doing this every week and just say you forgot to bid $1 higher than the guy you wanted. Bad precedence to set.

Haha thats hilarious. In that case I would just give him his $39 back.

Wow how many co commishioners do you have!?

I'd say too bad so sad. If he didn't finish his req so it's not really a malfunction

not blind bid, but i accidentally tried to drop a guy on my taxi squad for Rawls and i had #1 priority.

my fault, and i didn't expect anyone to fix it.

sounds to me like you keep West.

Surprisingly this has happened in one of my leagues a few times. It sucks. The most generic answer is to announce it to the league and place west in a separate blind auction. Ask all owners to bid, even if just a zero. West goes to the highest. Ask an owner or co commish who has no interest to process the bids.

The guy never hit save. Really not much can be done. I would definitely not give him to the other owner. Whats to prevent someone doing this every week and just say you forgot to bid $1 higher than the guy you wanted. Bad precedence to set.
While it's doubtful that the guy is lying and he did mean to put in the bid, this is the issue. It's a bad precedent and opens the league up to a lot of headaches down the road. What's next: "I was going to big $35 for player X, but my kid got sick and I had to sit with her all night".

If during FCFS waivers some one obviously drops the wrong guy when picking up another and says something right away, I'll reverse it - but a use error like this when correcting it affects other people as well, it's too bad. We all need to deal with our mistakes.

If there was no malfunction and the guy most likely just slipped up and forgot to save the bid, then it's on him. We're all big boys and girls. We all slip up on waivers at some point (though not that embarrassingly). Keep him.

Maybe he has someone on his bench that he would trade for West and you would be ok with??
Interestingly (perhaps), I did propose a trade to this very owner this morning (not involving West). I did consider amending the trade in some way to involve West, but I don't really like that idea philosophically.

Surprisingly this has happened in one of my leagues a few times. It sucks. The most generic answer is to announce it to the league and place west in a separate blind auction. Ask all owners to bid, even if just a zero. West goes to the highest. Ask an owner or co commish who has no interest to process the bids.
wouldn't the most generic/right thing to do be just say you screwed up. You don't get west...what you described sounds like a total hassle, not generic at all

As a commissioner, I say you keep him.

As an owner... it would depend. I play in free leagues with a bunch of friends I've been playing with for over a decade. In one of those leagues, I'd work with the commissioner to see what we could do about getting West to the team that tried to get him. (And I would continue to hold it over the other owner's head until the end of time.)

On the other hand, I play in some FBGs staff leagues, too. In those leagues, I would make a league-wide announcement about how the other owner screwed up so that we could all gather 'round and laugh at him for botching something so routine. (And I would continue to hold it over the other owner's head until the end of time.)

I don't think there's a one-size fits all solution from an owner's standpoint. Some will say they'd honor the other guy's intentions, and that's totally cool. Others will say mistakes are part of the game and West is yours, and that's cool, too. There's a very wide range of perfectly reasonable responses to the situation as an owner.

But yeah, as a commissioner, unless there's a specific rule on the books to address this situation I think you have to let the mistake stand. Not worth opening up that can of worms.

On the other hand, I play in some FBGs staff leagues, too. In those leagues, I would make a league-wide announcement about how the other owner screwed up so that we could all gather 'round and laugh at him for botching something so routine. (And I would continue to hold it over the other owner's head until the end of time.)
I'd be inclined to do this in the free league with friends, too.

Somebody bid 65 on the wrong player once (same last name, different first name). We all laughed at him and he laughed at himself. Never asked to fix things. People need to own up to their mistakes

Last edited by a moderator:
Whew, for a second I thought you were saying that there was a flaw in MFL. That will get you banned. Luckily there are many uses for the feature of adding nobody for $0 via waivers. ;)

I'd say you keep West also. Not too much to ask for the owner to be expected to review their waiver bids.

A few weeks back I had the same Issue on MFL. I put in a bb request on mfl mobile app and I know it went in. Next morning when I checked it showed the same thing. Blank request for $0. I didn't complain or say anything to the commish because the guy who got the player bid more than I would have so no big deal. I haven't used the mobile app for waivers since.

A few weeks back I had the same Issue on MFL. I put in a bb request on mfl mobile app and I know it went in. Next morning when I checked it showed the same thing. Blank request for $0. I didn't complain or say anything to the commish because the guy who got the player bid more than I would have so no big deal. I haven't used the mobile app for waivers since.
If you know it went in, let MFL know about it. Apps aren't perfect and if multiple people report the same thing they'll hunt it down and fix the problem (but not your missed waiver claim).

Even if you aren't going to use the mobile app for waivers any more, let them know. They can't fix it if they don't know, and probably won't believe it unless multiple people report the same problem.

"Malfunctions" of the website rarely happen. I would say this is user error and for that reason it is their own fault.

If it was me personally I would keep West, but I would also look for a fair trade that interests me and could get West to that team. He made a mistake and should pay for it, but I would also like to try to keep everyone happy. If he is unwilling to trade than tough.

Keep the player.

First, it's hard to know what he actually bid. While he may not be lying about bidding on West (and he may be), he also could be "amending" how much he bid. That alone makes it dicey.

Second, even if he's completely telling the truth (which we don't know), it's more likely he messed up some part of the process instead of a malfunction. There's no forgiveness for that user error.

Third, it's a bad precedent. People can then keep saying "I bid x but there was a malfunction".

If you know it went in, let MFL know about it. Apps aren't perfect and if multiple people report the same thing they'll hunt it down and fix the problem (but not your missed waiver claim). Even if you aren't going to use the mobile app for waivers any more, let them know. They can't fix it if they don't know, and probably won't believe it unless multiple people report the same problem.
third party app

Was there any other transactions ie. Could the guy have bid zero, and slept on which player he wanted?

Nobody bid on West (aside from said Ghost bid)

screw that idiot who cant use a computer.... also, i question the quality of your league that west was not bid on by ANYONE :)

Same type of situation happened in my league last night. I was putting in my waivers and for some reason I couldn't see my bids, I emailed my commissioner with my bids sure enough the webpage was goofing up so he gave me my requests....nobody else emailed him so they lost out.

Would you accept it if someone said "Hey, I meant to start PLAYER X at RB (who scored 30 points) instead of PLAYER Y at RB (who scored 3 points)after their games were over"? If you say "no"....then you already have your answer. If you say "Yes"....then do you want to join our league?

Do you need West, will you ever put him in your lineup? If not trade him West for the bid money. If the dude can't figure out BBs I doubt he's serious competition anyways.

screw that idiot who cant use a computer.... also, i question the quality of your league that west was not bid on by ANYONE :)
I do find this very strange myself.

I thought that West must have gotten shot after I went to bed.

I agree with the overall sentiment of the thread, that I should not give him up (especially given the lack of evidence), because it sets a bad precedent overall and I feel like he would be rewarded and I punished for his screw-up.

There is a part of me that is sympathetic, I guess, because it's not like a cutthroat league and I don't want to be seen as being an ####### over what is an honest mistake. But I do agree that there are rules and once you start changing situations after the fact, it's kind of a slippery slope.

I told the commish that I would not give him up, but ultimately it is up to him and I won't complain if they really feel strongly about it.

I actually have a rule in my league that I have run for 20 yrs. The rule is veryold, but it states, "Undelivered emails are the same as phone calls that don't go thru" as one owner tried to claim that he sent an email pickup but apparently it failed. I denied his pickup b/c he couldn't produce the email and I didn't want to deal with knucklehead stories in the future.

You keep West, end of story.

So no one else else in the league bid? Odd. Is there a rule with a minimum bid of $1? Maybe he should be awarded west for nothing.

Wow how many co commishioners do you have!?

I'd say too bad so sad. If he didn't finish his req so it's not really a malfunction
Actually, it could be. I've seen web pages do some strange things when you leave the page temporarily, as in following a link.

If it was Week 1, I'd (maybe) consider giving him back. In Week 6, #### no. Has this person never used the league waivers before?

If the owner cannot provide documentation of a submitted request to pickup West for $17, then this is all null and void. Intentions cannot produce a desired result without the proper action.

Users who are viewing this thread