What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Man in the High Castle (Amazon Prime) (1 Viewer)

Sinrman

Footballguy
Saw previews of it and decided to give it a shot, and man is it good!

Many years ago I had thought of writing a novel about a similar topic (Allies lose WWII and the aftermath). Mine was going to begin in England and eventually move to the United States.

But I guess they beat me to it! Maybe I should have gotten off my lazy #### to start it... ;)

Yeah, I've been waiting for this one for a long time. It's always been interesting to me that there have not been more "alternate history" stories about the U.S. losing WWII. I guess it just wasn't very appetizing subject material, or something.

Also, Alexa Davalos. :thumbup:

And yes, yes, I realize it's based off of the novel by Phillip K. ****. Just saying that with the series coming out fully on Nov. 20 means any chance of me writing something along those lines is kinda silly at this point... :P

Why? I wrote a treatment for the same idea (future alternate U.S. defeated by Germany) a long time ago without ever having heard of ****'s book. I never did anything with it either, but take a look at Zombie fiction, for example. There are a lot of similar ideas there, to say the least.

2nd ep is up (or was the other day).

I am liking it so far, though a couple of character reactions to events are pretty unbelievable

Not really a spoiler since it has more to do with background and world building than plot, but I'll tag it anyway......

I'm trying to wrap my head around the "rules" for

the Neutral Zone. Is it overseen by both the Germans & Japanese in some kind of joint arrangement? I know the show is probably going to be different than the book (which I haven't read). Does the book explain it better? Why would - or wouldn't - someone choose to live there instead of either of the controlled territories?

Last edited by a moderator:
:blackdot:

Last year the pilot was part of Amazon's "pilot season" gimmick where they let viewers pick the shows that'll get made, although it was always gonna make the cut given the people involved and the source material. I've been waiting for the full season ever since. Should be great.

This HAS to be a conversation in casting rooms, right?

"We need a Euro-ish guy who smokes cigarettes in an idiosynchratic fashion"

"Get me Rufus Sewell's agent on the phone"

Quick question for those who have seen this: How much does the I-Ching factor into the show?
Most of the mystical aspects of the book haven't made it into the show (yet?). It's been a pretty straightforward telling of ****'s basic universe and plot. Hopefully, they'll sprinkle some of the weirder, more thought provoking stuff in later after audiences are hooked.

Watched the pilot and it got me interested. Been waiting for it to come out but don't really have time to sit and watch now. :no:

So how the hell is someone without Amazon Prime going to get to see this?
Free trial?
I have an unusual issue in that I get Amazon Prime. Except I only get the shipping and not the streaming. So I would have to pay for a subscription to get JUST the streaming. It's not a ton of money, but I also have Netflix and like their overall original programming more. But it doesn't look like the Amazon stuff comes out on DVD, at least not on netflix.

So how the hell is someone without Amazon Prime going to get to see this?
Free trial?
I have an unusual issue in that I get Amazon Prime. Except I only get the shipping and not the streaming. So I would have to pay for a subscription to get JUST the streaming. It's not a ton of money, but I also have Netflix and like their overall original programming more. But it doesn't look like the Amazon stuff comes out on DVD, at least not on netflix.
Amazon is really trying to pick up their game in the original programming department. They kind of caught on that people will buy if there is something they want that they cant get anywhere else and not so much for access to stream movies. Just like HBO figured out that the way that they would be relevant was to offer series that regular tv could never do.

I'm intrigued and enjoyed the first 2 episodes just not sure about:

Using a "film" instead of a book for The Grasshopper Lies Heavy.

Quick question for those who have seen this: How much does the I-Ching factor into the show?
I've seen the first two episodes (non-book reader) and have no idea what this means.
Most of the mystical aspects of the book haven't made it into the show (yet?). It's been a pretty straightforward telling of ****'s basic universe and plot. Hopefully, they'll sprinkle some of the weirder, more thought provoking stuff in later after audiences are hooked.
All that crap ruined the book. Actually true.

I've seen the first two episodes (non-book reader) and have no idea what this means.
Tough crowd

I think the pacing of longform serials can be a problem. The filmmakers have so much screen time to develop the story that they don't feel compelled to take the shortcuts that someone cramming a novel into 100 minutes would have to do.

Tough crowd
I don't hate the show, but the changes to make it more palatable, particularly the invention of the American resistance movement, make it a far less interesting premise, IMO.

There are a lot of alt-history thrillers that are closer in tone the show than ****'s original story.

5 episodes in and this is pretty solid IMO. Going to knock out the last 5 over the long weekend.

So far, so good :thumbup:

renesauz said:
Would love to see this, but not going to sign up for yet another video streaming service.
30 day free trial is your friend...or ask around,one of your friends probably has a login you can use.I use my prime for mostly free shipping... I have found you can save the $99 yearly cost buying products you buy all the time that are cheaper on Amazon...save $5/month alone on bird food for my GF two birds, Nice savings on fusion blades as well. The streaming, photo storage and music are gravy IMO

Finished this up this weekend. Really enjoyed it. I know nothing about the book or the story and I think that has helped with my enjoyment.

Looking forward to the next installment.

Probably just been tired when watching these and I should have rewatched the 1st 2 eps since I saw them months ago but I seem a bit confused with who is working for who and for what....but it's been fun so far none the less

Finished watching them all. Overall I found it pretty meh. The concept was great, but the story was kind of a let down. The "love story" intertwined caused way too many dull moments for me.

I liked the overall idea, and it was cool to see how they split up the U.S. Also, how the US assimilated with German & Japanese cultures. They did a great job of capturing the time period as well. Oh, and seeing Berlin had it not been destroyed was cool. The guy they cast for Hitler sucked. I guess since it was all fantasy anyways, Hitler may not of had any health / drug problems.

done

agree that the love story did dull things out for me

Actually liked it better when not focused on Juliana or Joe Blake.

Frink grew on me

I loved the openheimerhghruphen john smith guy, he stole ever scene he was in.

Liked all the japanese characters

The Marshall guy was intense

Rudy was good as well

ETA: ooh, also really liked the antique dealer, the Kevin Spacey lite dude

overall kinda confused about what was on the last tape they all saw in the school and even the final scene.

I'm probably just to dumb to understand it but enjoyed the show overall

done

agree that the love story did dull things out for me

Actually liked it better when not focused on Juliana or Joe Blake.

Frink grew on me

I loved the openheimerhghruphen john smith guy, he stole ever scene he was in.

Liked all the japanese characters

The Marshall guy was intense

Rudy was good as well

ETA: ooh, also really liked the antique dealer, the Kevin Spacey lite dude

overall kinda confused about what was on the last tape they all saw in the school and even the final scene.

I'm probably just to dumb to understand it but enjoyed the show overall
There's too much unknown to completely understand what's going on yet. Why did Hitler have all those tapes? What do the tapes represent? I think all will be revealed in subsequent season. I do love just how brutal the Japs and Krauts are. Treat the US citizens just like I image they would if they had in fact won. Show seems very "authentic" to me.

Users who are viewing this thread