Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Sinrman

Man in the High Castle (Amazon Prime)

1 hour ago, Buzzbait said:

Nuclear bomb on SF and Washington DC. They don't go into detail on how they achieved the technology before the US or the events that led to it being deployed. We just get flashbacks on the devastation and cities being leveled.

Slow burn

Washington was nuked, SF was not. The west coast part is set in SF. The SF nuke is one of the film reels, but hasn't happened.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Frank Drebin said:

Washington was nuked, SF was not. The west coast part is set in SF. The SF nuke is one of the film reels, but hasn't happened.

Ahh, you are correct. It's been a while and some of the details are fuzzy.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pantherclub said:

1.Do they ever talk about how the Axis actually won the war?

Season 2 drops a few more nuggets here and there but not a ton of stuff. There's a short flashback to the nuking of DC that led to the US surrendering (it occurs in 1947 in this timeline.) A decimated DC is shown in the opening credits for the show. A Japanese General tells a short story of how he planned a "daring" surprise invasion of the west coast that America wasn't ready for or expecting due to how far away the Japanese forces were from the US mainland.

I think this is from the book and hasn't been mentioned in the show, but the real reason the timelines diveraged and the US lost:

FDR is assassinated in the 1930s by Guiseppe Zangara. Which is based on a real-life events where Zangara shot the Mayor of Chicago at one of FDR's speeches. One thing I like about this show is that its gotten me to google different things/people events that I did not know or remember from my history classes.

Edited by Buckna
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, Frank Drebin said:

The Nazi's have the bomb, the Japanese do not...in the show timeline. In the alternate timeline the Japanese do have the bomb, or get it. Hence why the Japanese are somewhat nervous with the Nazi's because they aren't sure the Nazi's won't just nuke them too. If I recall correctly.

• Like 1

Just now, pantherclub said:

alternate timelines?  yeah i am bailing

Basically 2...the show timeline where the Axis won the war, and ours where we won. It hints at others via the films, but really just concentrates on the 2.

Alright so I binged season 2 and still confused and have tons of questions.

Spoilers if you need.

1. The whole angle that Smith was a US soldier but rose in the Reich was never really answered was it?  Feel like I missed something

2. They never really expanded on where the tapes were from.

3. So did the asian chick and the other dude die in the blast?

4. The antique dealer and the skinny dude plot line needed to be left way the hell out.

Damn Smith played the hell out of Joe.

On ‎2‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 10:37 AM, pantherclub said:

1. The whole angle that Smith was a US soldier but rose in the Reich was never really answered was it?  Feel like I missed something

Was this supposed to have been known the whole time? I was surprised when they made it known in the season 2 finale but my wife said she thought that was the case from the beginning. I feel like I missed something too.

Finished Season 2 last night. Still not sure what I think about the show. We watch it and find ourselves talking over slow parts and missing stuff. It's not a horrible show so I guess I'm in for Season 3. Just not sure if I'll watch it right away. I don't know what it is about it that I don't like, maybe the acting, I don't know. It could be a lot better.

Finished season 2 last night.  Fantastic season ender.  Really enjoying how they have expended the universe created by the book.  And I think they are handling the sci-fi aspect perfectly.

And I hate to say it, but I am a huge John Smith fan.  Best character, best acting, best story and I'm beginning to wonder if he isn't going to be the ultimate hero.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Yankee23Fan said:

Finished season 2 last night.  Fantastic season ender.  Really enjoying how they have expended the universe created by the book.  And I think they are handling the sci-fi aspect perfectly.

And I hate to say it, but I am a huge John Smith fan.  Best character, best acting, best story and I'm beginning to wonder if he isn't going to be the ultimate hero.

Smith is probably the most interesting character, along with the elderly Japanese fellow (been too long and I've forgotten his name). But then I like just about all of the secondary characters (from Smith on down) more than the three young leads.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Uruk-Hai said:

Smith is probably the most interesting character, along with the elderly Japanese fellow (been too long and I've forgotten his name). But then I like just about all of the secondary characters (from Smith on down) more than the three young leads.

it's a combo of acting chops and writing for the characters... the leads suffer from both.

when does the new season come out?

2 minutes ago, El Floppo said:

it's a combo of acting chops and writing for the characters... the leads suffer from both.

when does the new season come out?

October something I think I read.

Yeah, I'm not a huge fan of the main American leads.  Julianna is fine and she is the catalyst for the story but the rest of her crew, boyfriend, his friend, the store owner (who was a great character in the book but isn't that great here as it has been expended) I could do without.  

Didn't see it posted in here, but Season 3 premiers two weeks from today (Oct 5th.)

Also, the show has already been renewed for season 4. :thumbup:

• Like 1

Saw ep. 1 of Season 3, it was :shrug:. Will continue to watch, just didn't grab me like the 1st or 2nd season openers

So who is watching S3?  I've gotten up to the episode that ends with the throat slash kill.  Gotta say, they are killing off people I like right now and letting live those I can do without.

Having said that it's clear that death of top characters probably isnt permanent. 

Overall though, in a show where Nazi Germany runs the United States brutally and they are about to destroy every monument to American history, I have to give credit to the writers that have made John Smith not just the best character, but my favorite by far. Not ashamed to admit that i audibly shouted, YEAH!, when he outplayed the Reichsmarshall.

4 hours ago, Yankee23Fan said:

So who is watching S3?  I've gotten up to the episode that ends with the throat slash kill.  Gotta say, they are killing off people I like right now and letting live those I can do without.

Having said that it's clear that death of top characters probably isnt permanent. 

Overall though, in a show where Nazi Germany runs the United States brutally and they are about to destroy every monument to American history, I have to give credit to the writers that have made John Smith not just the best character, but my favorite by far. Not ashamed to admit that i audibly shouted, YEAH!, when he outplayed the Reichsmarshall.

it's all out? 

we'll go in for it soon. it's good enough- not great (although I still love the idea and really like some of the acting) and there's nothing else grabbing our attention right now. trying to get the wife to watch Dark, but she's not into the subtitles and I found the dubbing distractingly bad.

About to start the final episode of season 3.

This show is amazing. I feel like I'm watching a great novel.

Just starting the series from season 1.

John Smith is a top 10 drama TV character. All time. No doubt in my mind. Totally blown away by Rufus Sewell.

On ‎10‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 8:53 PM, badmojo1006 said:

Saw ep. 1 of Season 3, it was :shrug:. Will continue to watch, just didn't grab me like the 1st or 2nd season openers

Watched this last night and had the same reaction. Will keep watching and hope it improves.

Are we supposed to know why Smith's son is being honored so much? Didn't he just turn himself in or do we find out he did something else?

Just now, jamny said:

Watched this last night and had the same reaction. Will keep watching and hope it improves.

Are we supposed to know why Smith's son is being honored so much? Didn't he just turn himself in or do we find out he did something else?

He gave himself up for the greater good. To keep the Aryan race pure.

And it does get better. There will be a 4th season

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/16/2018 at 7:25 PM, Yankee23Fan said:

About to start the final episode of season 3.

This show is amazing. I feel like I'm watching a great novel.

Wasn't this based on a great novel?

• Like 1

felt like this season dragged a bit to start, then hit a fatal plot flaw* (for me) then rounded out to be pretty interesting. which is about where I'd put the whole series- dragging, flawed, but pretty interesting.

skinny mcgoo telling his buddy/partner out of the blue that his bestie, the most wanted man in the west, was there... purely a plot-driving device which was annoying to me from that point on. only reason to tell him was so that the writers could figure out an easy way for the japanese to find him. stupid and lazy in an otherwise decently written show.

On 10/15/2018 at 9:03 AM, Yankee23Fan said:

Just finished it. Surprised there isn't more conversation in here about it or did the conversation go elsewhere (Netflix thread maybe?) Agree with you on Smith, really like his character development in this season which I thought was better than season 2. What was the deal with the Chief Inspector letting the geisha go at the end? I didn't follow that story line close enough and seemed really out of character for him. The Grinch's heart grew 10 times kinda moment.

On 11/12/2018 at 5:30 PM, El Floppo said:

felt like this season dragged a bit to start, then hit a fatal plot flaw* (for me) then rounded out to be pretty interesting. which is about where I'd put the whole series- dragging, flawed, but pretty interesting.

Hide contents

skinny mcgoo telling his buddy/partner out of the blue that his bestie, the most wanted man in the west, was there... purely a plot-driving device which was annoying to me from that point on. only reason to tell him was so that the writers could figure out an easy way for the japanese to find him. stupid and lazy in an otherwise decently written show.

Man that whole storyline with them in the neutral zone just seemed odd and forced. Just a mechanism to tell the Frank Frick story IMO. Another thing that bothered me was the homosexuality. It just seems forced for him and the Nazi lesbian. Oh and dudes nose bothers the living #### out of me. Good Lord...it's YUUUUUGE!

22 minutes ago, beer 30 said:

Just finished it. Surprised there isn't more conversation in here about it or did the conversation go elsewhere (Netflix thread maybe?) Agree with you on Smith, really like his character development in this season which I thought was better than season 2. What was the deal with the Chief Inspector letting the geisha go at the end? I didn't follow that story line close enough and seemed really out of character for him. The Grinch's heart grew 10 times kinda moment.

Man that whole storyline with them in the neutral zone just seemed odd and forced. Just a mechanism to tell the Frank Frick story IMO. Another thing that bothered me was the homosexuality. It just seems forced for him and the Nazi lesbian. Oh and dudes nose bothers the living #### out of me. Good Lord...it's YUUUUUGE!

Don't think too many people are enjoying it.

Kido was trying to hold on to every sense of honor he could find.  He executed his prisoner in the desert (just in case someone screams spoiler) in an honorable way, and he bought the freedom of a person whom he had feelings for but couldn't do anything honorable about them, except to give her something no one else could, or would.

Most of the Frank story line throughout the show hasn't really been on the top of my list.  They had the Childan character almost perfect in the first season, and he has been good/ok since, but Frank and Edward for the most part just don't do anything for the story for me.

My 18 year old son loves this show, maybe because he's a bit of a history nut. He's finished all of it and has been bugging me to finish it too.

I watched the first 5/6 episodes of S1 a while ago but then just got sidetracked with a bunch of other shows (have some I watch with wife, a bunch that aren't her thing I watch alone). I liked the episodes I watched but I hadn't become totally immersed, likely just not far enough in. Still plan on finishing it at some point.

12 minutes ago, Ranethe said:

My 18 year old son loves this show, maybe because he's a bit of a history nut. He's finished all of it and has been bugging me to finish it too.

I watched the first 5/6 episodes of S1 a while ago but then just got sidetracked with a bunch of other shows (have some I watch with wife, a bunch that aren't her thing I watch alone). I liked the episodes I watched but I hadn't become totally immersed, likely just not far enough in. Still plan on finishing it at some point.

I'm a big history nerd too, especially WWII so it drew me in from the beginning. If I had to rate them I'd S1, S3, S2 in order of enjoyment for me. Good show, good story.

• Like 1

I enjoyed the first two seasons well enough, but I was basically reduced to hate watching this season. I find Smith and the trade minister and their related political machinations interesting, but that’s about it. Soooo much wasted time on bad characters doing boring things.  

Really enjoyed all three seasons.  Been a few weeks since I saw them now, but I pretty much couldn't wait to get back to it each night.

• Like 1

Season 3 had a lot of filler and somewhat dragged for me in the beginning but I thought it ended strong and I'm looking forward to season 4. 

• Like 3

Season 2 was a bit of a struggle getting through and I wasn't sure if I'd watch S3. After 2 episodes, I can't get into watching any more so I'm out.

I wish the show would have focused more on broader themes instead of individual storylines featuring characters that I find hard to care about, except for John Smith. The premise offered such a wealth of options to explore and that's without even adding the sci-fi element to it. I guess I was hoping for more of a thriller than a drama.

57 minutes ago, Fan of Charles McCoy said:

No, you did not.

Tony's a complainer, and this show is far from perfect- based on what I know of him from other threads, I think he made the right choice.

I'm a complainer too, but I'm still watching.

1 hour ago, Fan of Charles McCoy said:

No, you did not.

I agree.  The last 3 or 4 episodes were the best of the series so far. The ending has me wanting the next season to start tomorrow. 

Edited by Mile High

2 hours ago, Fan of Charles McCoy said:

No, you did not.

I get that this show isn't for some and season 2 was probably the worst of the 3 so far BUT I think season 3 had a nice comeback to it and the last few episodes were excellent.

The dude playing Mengele has the creep factor I'd assume the real life Mengele had. Kinda like the Nazi from Raiders of the Lost Ark that had his face melted off at the end.

11 hours ago, badmojo1006 said:

1 st episode was a mess. But I will watch to the end

I imagine with the path they went down with the last season (time travel, alternate realities) it's going to be ugly but like you I will finish it out. In other series where they've tried to do stuff like this it tends to get out of hand and messy but you can tie it all back together in the end for a successful conclusion. Getting there usually sucks but it's always about the journey :D

Huh through ep 7

Japanese are just up and leaving the West Coast? Who will be in charge? That will make interesting final few episodes[/spoilers]

Edited by badmojo1006

On 11/19/2019 at 10:35 AM, badmojo1006 said:

Episodes 2&3 are better.

Overall this is the best season.  

• Like 2

Wasn’t a huge fan of the last scene but I agree this was the best season. The show would have been much better overall if they just crammed the highlights of seasons 1-3 into one season, and then made this a second and final season. There was just so much bloat in this show, it was a tough watch for a lot of its run. 

• Like 1

Thought the ending was pretty satisfying.  Was expecting a turn from a major character that turned out to be a turn more towards the direction he was already in.  Not gonna lie, got some chills at some of the scenes of the plans for America under total Nazi occupation.

Overall I'd give the entire series a solid 3.75/5

• Like 1