What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Orleans Opoku-Darkwa is an American football running back who is currently a free agent (2 Viewers)

Posted on Rotoworld just now. I agree with this assessment. It's going to be a 3 or 4 player RBBC:

Orleans Darkwa - RB - Giants
The New York Daily News' Ebenezer Samuel finds it "unlikely" that Orleans Darkwa will suddenly be the Giants' featured back on offense.

Darkwa is simply another cog in a backfield that has shaped up as a full-blown committee attack and one to avoid for fantasy purposes. Darkwa averaged 6.0 YPC on eight carries Sunday and scored a touchdown, but that's likely about the extent of the work he'll see on a weekly basis. If anything, maybe Darkwa will convince the Giants to stop using Andre Williams.

Posted on Rotoworld just now. I agree with this assessment. It's going to be a 3 or 4 player RBBC:

The New York Daily News' Ebenezer Samuel finds it "unlikely" that Orleans Darkwa will suddenly be the Giants' featured back on offense.

Darkwa is simply another cog in a backfield that has shaped up as a full-blown committee attack and one to avoid for fantasy purposes. Darkwa averaged 6.0 YPC on eight carries Sunday and scored a touchdown, but that's likely about the extent of the work he'll see on a weekly basis. If anything, maybe Darkwa will convince the Giants to stop using Andre Williams.
Ebenezer is just being a scrooge.

Barring (multiple) injuries, I don't think Darkwa will emerge as a feature back this year. I think the question is for dynasty. With Williams a non-factor, and Jenning not terribly impressive, where can/will Darkwa fit in going forward?

Who does that to their child?

Who does that to their child?
Either a Dickens or a Deliverance fan.

We have seen Coughlin ride hot backs in the past.

Not far fetched of that this kid could get a nice fantasy run until he fumbles.

Would love a clip of all of his runs from sunday?? can't find it anywhere.
http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2015/10/why_orleans_darkwa_was_so_impressive_and_whats_not.html#incart_riverFormer Giants OL Chris Snee talking about Darkwa's carries
Thanks!

So at this point he is nothing more than a stash. Likely proved he deserves to be on the field ahead of Andre at best. But I like the comments in the video breakdown.

So if he is impressing at practice and his linemen are pulling for him, maybe there is something here. What is Coughlins history with guys like this? He isn't a rookie, and he impressed enough to get valuable touches in the Dallas game. If he continues to do everything right, is Coughlins the type that will move on or will he keep plugging Jennings out there because they paid him?

So I put in a $3 bid for him...my thought process here...

1) Giants offense hasn't averaged 4 YPC since 2012. Saddled at the 3.6-3.8 range.

2) Rashad Jennings always has difficulty staying healthy.

3) Andre Williams snaps down to 12-13/game...less than 8 last 3 weeks. Also sports putrid 3.2 YPC.

4) Beside ODB...pass catchers out wide for NYG simply lacking and not able to support current 40:60 run/pass ratio.

Certainly a stash at this point, but path to emergence is more possible than many other stash category RB's.

1) Giants offense hasn't averaged 4 YPC since 2012. Saddled at the 3.6-3.8 range.

3) Andre Williams snaps down to 12-13/game...less than 8 last 3 weeks. Also sports putrid 3.2 YPC.

4) Beside ODB...pass catchers out wide for NYG simply lacking and not able to support current 40:60 run/pass ratio.

Certainly a stash at this point, but path to emergence is more possible than many other stash category RB's.
5.) His name screams "random waiver wire runningback who wins you a championship".

Fair points. The Giants are a team on the rise, and Coughlin has historically stressed a strong running game. Just hasn't had a good one since Bradshaw, and David Wilson came and went.

Don't know if Darkwa is the answer, but they seem to have questions and none of Jennings/Vereen/Williams seem to be answering the bell.

Last edited by a moderator:
Coughlin loves to run the ball, and that offense is just begging for a power RB inside to take advantage of the defensive looks they get due to their many three wide sets.

If Darkwa can establish himself as an effective force between the tackles, he'll find himself with a fantasy relevant number of snaps soon enough.

He is in my line up replacing Foster. He looked strong on his carries last week - looked like he was running down hill each play, the type of back they need in this offense. Hoping for 8-10 carries at least with a chance around the goal line.

Per rotoworld:

The Newark Star-Ledger believes Orleans Darkwa has earned more playing time moving forward.
NJ.com’s Jordan Raanan expects Darkwa to play ahead of Rashad Jennings/Andre Williams after leading the backfield in touches Sunday. With Jennings (3.7 YPC) struggling to play above replacement, it’s possible there could be a changing of the guard. Darkwa is a threat for 10-plus carries against the Saints’ bottom-five run defense this week.

Source: Newark Star-Ledger
Oct 28 - 7:19 PM

Per rotoworld:

The Newark Star-Ledger believes Orleans Darkwa has earned more playing time moving forward.

NJ.coms Jordan Raanan expects Darkwa to play ahead of Rashad Jennings/Andre Williams after leading the backfield in touches Sunday. With Jennings (3.7 YPC) struggling to play above replacement, its possible there could be a changing of the guard. Darkwa is a threat for 10-plus carries against the Saints bottom-five run defense this week.

Starting without confidence! Awkward!

If Giants have any chance at winning Sunday it's going to be keeping their defense off the field--and only way to do that is run the ball. I want to believe we've seen enough of the Jennings-Williams duo to know it ain't working. Use Vereen since you paid him, and give Darkwa his shot. It amazes me how this team makes life so hard for itself...and its fans!

Thinking about this. If Coughlin didn't like the guy then why did he pluck this practice squad player off the back bench and plug him in for a looksee workload in the first place? Coughlin must have seen something he liked.

New owner. Wasn't on my radar before he rolled the Cowboys for this TD; he also flattened Greg Hardy if you needed any other reason to root for him. Trying to just cautiously jog after the hype train but still forked out $41/$100 for him. Dynasty league with good sized rosters (22, 2 IR, 4 TS) so the wire is slim pickings. I have a young team and can afford to wait a year or two for him to emerge.

Agree with a lot of the positive points made above:

• Lackluster talent in front of him
  • Good size. High end athleticism scores, though not elite (5'11/212, 4.46 40yd, 37.5yd Vert, 10'04 Broad, 6.90s 3cone - Pro Day)
  • Very good in pass pro
  • Hard worker w/ high football IQ
  • College production - It sounds like his OL and QB were more of a liability than anything else, so I bump his above average production up a couple more notches. Additionally he had his best years as an 18-19 y/o against older competition (seems to be a decent indicator of later nfl success) before going through a spate of injuries; apparently he got some guidance from Eddie George about taking care of himself and since his senior year has a dedicated regimen to keep himself healthy. Seems fully recoverd and no NFL injuries that I noticed since the Dolphins signed him last year.
  • Capable receiver
  • Special teams contributor
  • Favorable impression on coaches
Here's some items I found on him, fluff mainly, but some tidbits here and there; sorry if any are reposts:

Seems like a guy with a glimmer of opportunity that is working hard on his craft and has the tools to be a capable, if not high end, 3-down back. Worth a dice roll in deep leagues for sure.

He is fondly remembered by Tulane fans. Forte (totally different back, I know) played for an actual contender at Tulane, he got attention, had a great coach (Bowden) and a good QB and talent around him. Darkwa labored for the more typical Tulane team, undersized on the oline, with projects at QB and an offense typically quickly behind in games. But he was a runner and he was fun to watch. I think if you look it up he had 3000 yards in 4 seasons with one year shortened by an injury. He had several 100+ yard games, probably a dozen. One year maybe his sophomore season he had like 5 straight games of 100+ yards. I don't usually expect these small college heroes to really succeed in the NFL but the report above from the Newark paper makes me think maybe he does have a shot after all. The Giants could be great with Orleans and Vereen as a tandem IMO. Also the Giants have a longstanding affinity for Lsu and Tulane players dating back to YA Tittle and Eddie Price. Hopefully I get him tomorrow.

Nobody bid on him in my cap league, so I just stashed him for $1 ($400 cap) instead of carrying a 3rd TE. I probably won't use him this year unless he wins the job outright, but if he looks good he'll be a dirt cheap hold for 2016.

So if he gets 10 carries what is realistic best case scenario? 50ish yards with hopefully a TD? May have to roll him out this week just wondering what the potential is.

Per rotoworld:

NJ.coms Jordan Raanan expects Darkwa to play ahead of Rashad Jennings/Andre Williams after leading the backfield in touches Sunday. With Jennings (3.7 YPC) struggling to play above replacement, its possible there could be a changing of the guard. Darkwa is a threat for 10-plus carries against the Saints bottom-five run defense this week.

Starting without confidence! Awkward!
"He certainly did look good out there," coach Tom Coughlin said after the game. "His touchdown run when he cut back behind the slanting defensive line was really quite an outstanding play." ... The performance changes everything with the running back rotation moving forward. Darkwa earned himself some more playing time, likely at the expense of Rashad Jennings and Andre Williams. The Giants can't ignore what happened during that second quarter drive where Darkwa had four carries for 41 yards. It was that impressive.
Funny that this was against the Cowboys as this is what some were hoping for from Michael.

I missed out on this kid as a fa pickup in my league by 20 minutes yesterday. I was reading a few articles about him and watching that Chris snee video and how snee was talking him up and I thought "snee is coughlin's son in law...I think he knows something." Went to grab him and missed.

I do think "lord darkwat" will lead this backfield rest of the season and is a good pickup. Congrats to those who got him, and to those who caught on to my shrek reference. Lol

SaintsInDome2006 said:
He is fondly remembered by Tulane fans. Forte (totally different back, I know) played for an actual contender at Tulane, he got attention, had a great coach (Bowden) and a good QB and talent around him. Darkwa labored for the more typical Tulane team, undersized on the oline, with projects at QB and an offense typically quickly behind in games. But he was a runner and he was fun to watch. I think if you look it up he had 3000 yards in 4 seasons with one year shortened by an injury. He had several 100+ yard games, probably a dozen. One year maybe his sophomore season he had like 5 straight games of 100+ yards. I don't usually expect these small college heroes to really succeed in the NFL but the report above from the Newark paper makes me think maybe he does have a shot after all. The Giants could be great with Orleans and Vereen as a tandem IMO. Also the Giants have a longstanding affinity for Lsu and Tulane players dating back to YA Tittle and Eddie Price. Hopefully I get him tomorrow.
This is a great post. He played on 4 really bad Tulane teams and did really well. He's used to running with a bad o line and has learned how to make the most of it. We saw that on Sunday. I'm not expecting all pro numbers, but I think he can take the job and run with it in NY.

addicted2ff said:
Per rotoworld:

NJ.com’s Jordan Raanan expects Darkwa to play ahead of Rashad Jennings/Andre Williams after leading the backfield in touches Sunday. With Jennings (3.7 YPC) struggling to play above replacement, it’s possible there could be a changing of the guard. Darkwa is a threat for 10-plus carries against the Saints’ bottom-five run defense this week.

I guess I am confused here, does this mean he is starting?

I have had him slotted to start in one league since I picked him up.

Had Foster.. passed on Blue and Polk for the simple fact Foster wasn't tearing it up on the ground. Not much out there to pick up.

Left with Ellington and David Johnson. going with Darkwa

I'm still missing why people think that 1 good run, and an above-average YPC on 8 carries is enough for this guy to supplant anyone in the Giant's backfield. Earn him a few more carries...maybe...but there's so many mouths to feed in NY that even a split in carries is maybe 10 tops...

I have had him slotted to start in one league since I picked him up.

Had Foster.. passed on Blue and Polk for the simple fact Foster wasn't tearing it up on the ground. Not much out there to pick up.

Left with Ellington and David Johnson. going with Darkwa
Similar situation. Except I also lost Jamal Charles too.

Left choosing between David Johnson and Darkwa as well. Going with Darkwa simply because I expect him to touch the ball more.

I'm still missing why people think that 1 good run, and an above-average YPC on 8 carries is enough for this guy to supplant anyone in the Giant's backfield. Earn him a few more carries...maybe...but there's so many mouths to feed in NY that even a split in carries is maybe 10 tops...
It's simple. The other guys have done nothing to hold down the job. Like you said, it'll earn him more carries to show if he can take the starting role. I don't think anyone is saying he's already taken the job...

It's simple. The other guys have done nothing to hold down the job. Like you said, it'll earn him more carries to show if he can take the starting role. I don't think anyone is saying he's already taken the job...
This.

This.
This guy obviously doesn't know What Is Orleans Darkwa.

Realistically, could he become the primary RB on this team? I know he looked good on the one drive last week but there are 2.5 legit NFL RBs on the roster besides him (Jennings and Vareen, Williams is only .5 he's just not very good).

I'm all for hype trains but he's got a lot of other people to beat out to even get 15 touches a game.

Realistically, could he become the primary RB on this team? I know he looked good on the one drive last week but there are 2.5 legit NFL RBs on the roster besides him (Jennings and Vareen, Williams is only .5 he's just not very good).

I'm all for hype trains but he's got a lot of other people to beat out to even get 15 touches a game.
This is sort of what I'm getting at...Even if he gets more carries, I don't think the other guys go away. I mean, I had Jennings for the first few weeks. He's not bad enough to get zero carries. Neither is Williams or Vereen. Even the one getting "the most," is still barely fantasy relevant.

It's just a numbers game. I have no issue with people saying "Darkwa will lead the giants RB's in carries," but what does that actually get you these days? Not much IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread