Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Ilov80s

Orleans Opoku-Darkwa is an American football running back who is currently a free agent

Picked him up in a best ball. I have Vereen there, too. Not excited but dropping Deonte Thompson for a RB that plays in the NFL and may get carries seemed easy enough. Haha. Denver defense. Ouch. There is zero chance this is a trap game, right? Giants can't possibly can they?

Fwiw in response to the original thread title, "Who Is Orleans Darkwa?"... he played his college ball at Tulane.

This is the listing of most yards rushing at Tulane:

1. Mewelde Moore
  2. Matt Forte
  3. Orleans Darkwa

22 minutes ago, SaintsInDome2006 said:

Well it's definitely prosaic, congrats that's some fine writing...

I don't deserve the credit, it's from Wikipedia. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Ilov80s said:

I don't deserve the credit, it's from Wikipedia. 

Best title ever.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, cap'n grunge said:

Rosterable in a dynasty or nah?

What's your leeg look like?  MyFBG is probably your answer.  

1 minute ago, cap'n grunge said:

I just mean long term. 

Probably not. I like him as a back, zamboni doesn't, and they're probably going a different direction.  

Plus, he's always hurt.  

Edited by rockaction

1 minute ago, cap'n grunge said:

I just mean long term. 

Likely no but that's why they're called lotto tickets. 

On 10/14/2017 at 10:59 AM, barackdhouse said:

Picked him up in a best ball. I have Vereen there, too. Not excited but dropping Deonte Thompson for a RB that plays in the NFL and may get carries seemed easy enough. Haha. Denver defense. Ouch. There is zero chance this is a trap game, right? Giants can't possibly can they?

They can??!!

What to make of this guy going forward ... obviously teams aren't likely to respect Eli and the passing game, with the possible exception of Engram.  I'm kinda shocked at how well the Giants ran yesterday, though they ran a little Tampa and did OK against LA.

Darkwa, posted 8-69-1 against LAC followed by last night's 21-117 with a 13-yard catch thrown in.

He's just 25, and to my knowledge has never been given a clear shot as a feature back for more than a game or two.  Is it finally his chance?

Upcoming he gets: SEA, LAR, @SF, KC, @WAS

Orleans Darkwa? More like Offensive Sparkwa amirite? I'll see myself out..

No but really it took me a second to realize they've been trying to feed this guy for a while he just kept getting hurt. I see why now.

Edited by SameSongNDance
  • Like 2

Orleans Darkwa, NYG, RB vs. SEA –Despite facing loaded boxes (eight-plus defenders) 47.5%% of the time (third-most among RBs with at least 40 carries), Darkwa has still managed 5.7 YPC and has six carries that have gone for 15-plus yards this season. Among RBs with at least 40 carries, Darkwa’s ratio of a 15-yard run every seven carries is second-best in the league behind Alex Collins, who averages a 15-yarder every 6.5 carries (eight out of 52).

Brandon Funston - Rotoworld

• Like 1

I like Darkwa. I've been gently saying it, but it looks like he really has the stuff now to back it up.  :football:

Paul Perkins (ribs) returned to a limited practice Wednesday.

Perkins has missed the past two games, and Orleans Darkwa, Wayne Gallman, and Shane Vereen have taken over the backfield. While he may be healthy, Perkins could conceivably be left a healthy scratch in Week 7.

Will be interesting to see what the G-Men do.

Edited by The Frankman

On ‎10‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 2:59 PM, The Frankman said:

Will be interesting to see what the G-Men do.

As I mentioned in the Joe Mixon thread, having a new playcaller helps the hot hand, hoping Darkwa does his part again.

Paul Perkins (ribs) is out for Week 7 against the Seahawks.

It solidifies Orleans Darkwa as the lead back for at least another week, and rookie Wayne Gallman will spell him on early downs while Shane Vereen gets his regular pass-game work. Perkins is way behind on the depth chart after averaging a laughably-bad 1.9 YPC on 32 attempts from Weeks 1-4

This clears things up considerably. Don't have to worry about Perkins' hold on the coaching staff for another week now.

• Like 1

Yahoo Statheads also like Orleans Darkwa

7. Long-time favorite Orleans Darkwa is going to be benched by many of the 61% who own him because Seattle’s D is so good. But the dirty secret is their run defense is bad. Darkwa is the most north-south runner in the NFL, according to NFL Next Gen Stats. He’s also seen the third-most 8-men-in-the-box runs (47.2%, only the two Jacksonville backs, Leonard Fournette and Chris Ivory are higher). He’s only behind only Tevin Coleman in yards before contact per run; some view this as a line stat but I call it a vision stat. He’s slightly below average in yards after contact. In short, a top 20 back easy until further notice.

Interesting assessment... however I will say he fits the new Giants power running line because this dude is like those robot pilots in the Tale Spin episode "From Here to Machinery": he never deviates from the play route.

35 minutes ago, LawFitz said:

Surprised this guy isn't generating more chatter. First game with a new playcaller and he explodes last week against the league's #1 rush D. Dude was running HARD.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBlEI57dgfU&t=193

IMO, he's turning into what Isaiah Crowell was supposed to be.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, The Frankman said:

This clears things up considerably. Don't have to worry about Perkins' hold on the coaching staff for another week now.

I didn't know anything about the Perkins injury. It seem superfluous. Darkwa is the guy. Perkins is a guy.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ilov80s said:

I didn't know anything about the Perkins injury. It seem superfluous. Darkwa is the guy. Perkins is a guy.  

Except Perkins has been the the guy for over a year. In fact, the Giants staff has given no notice that they won't go back to Perkins as a starter. I find that amazing, but this is teh same staff that thought they didn't have an O-Line issue. In short, they react to change very slowly.

6 hours ago, The Frankman said:

Except Perkins has been the the guy for over a year. In fact, the Giants staff has given no notice that they won't go back to Perkins as a starter. I find that amazing, but this is teh same staff that thought they didn't have an O-Line issue. In short, they react to change very slowly.

Perkins has lost his job.  Anyone can see that. He is horrible.  Zero vision or creativity and zero power as a runner.  Let’s not even mention his name again.  He’s going the route of Darryl Richardson back when richardson was the incumbent starter for the rams and he sucked so badly and was overtaken by Zach Stacey.   Same situations here.  

Well I sure hope the Giants don't give Perkins another look.  I just traded Hyde and am trying to trade Howard (12 team PPR, redraft) because I picked up guys like Darkwa and McKinnon.  Can't get anything for Darkwa or McKinnon in a trade so I gotta trade Names and believe in what my eyes tell me on my WW pickups.

• Like 2

Orleans Darkwa played 21-of-59 snaps (36%) Week 7 against the Seahawks.

Wayne Gallman ended up playing one more snap, although Darkwa did touch the ball five more times. Still, the snap split is disappointing after Darkwa carried the offense in the upset win over the Broncos Week 6. Darkwa will have a good matchup against the Rams following the bye, but he will not be an exciting fantasy option as part of a committee on a low-scoring offense.

Again, Giants were the beneficiary of very positive game script that won't happen too many times in Denver. When they get behind, expect to see more Gallman Jr./Vereen. I mentioned it in the game thread but I will be very interested to see if Seattle started loading the box or hitting certain lanes that Darkwa ran into. Like I said earlier (and Cris Collinsworth said constantly), he rarely deviates from the play. If a defense knows whats coming and run blitzes his lane he's going to get blown up. It's weird because he wasn't this rigid in his running in the past.

This was a tough week to evaluate Darkwa’s role going forward. He was playing a tough defense and the game got out of hand quickly and the Giants had to change their game script. I think he still may offer some value (not saying he’s going to be Barry Sanders) going forward.

1 minute ago, Saboo said:

This was a tough week to evaluate Darkwa’s role going forward. He was playing a tough defense and the game got out of hand quickly and the Giants had to change their game script. I think he still may offer some value (not saying he’s going to be Barry Sanders) going forward.

He faced a tougher defense last week in Denver, and Seattle can be run on. The only thing that changed is the Giants got out ahead fast and stayed ahead. That's not going to happen much at all with the WRs they are trotting out. I'm not saying drop him, but realize he's a) not a true #1 workhorse back (doesn't catch well) b) will probably be a 2-down guy who will rotate series and won't see the field much if behind.

Of course, I didn't even mention Perkins, who will be back after the bye.

4 hours ago, The Frankman said:

He faced a tougher defense last week in Denver, and Seattle can be run on. The only thing that changed is the Giants got out ahead fast and stayed ahead. That's not going to happen much at all with the WRs they are trotting out. I'm not saying drop him, but realize he's a) not a true #1 workhorse back (doesn't catch well) b) will probably be a 2-down guy who will rotate series and won't see the field much if behind.

Of course, I didn't even mention Perkins, who will be back after the bye.

I'm not sure exactly what to make of it all, but Darkwa did have 3 targets and caught all 3.  He wasn't efficient with them, but that's as many targets as Gallman got.

I looked at his upcoming match ups and they only face 2 tough rushing match ups the rest of the way. It's tough guessing how carries might get distributed but overall the Giants running game faces a lot of plum match ups the rest of the way. I think he is a worthwhile cheap option to hang onto and see how things shake out.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, JFS171 said:

I'm not sure exactly what to make of it all, but Darkwa did have 3 targets and caught all 3.  He wasn't efficient with them, but that's as many targets as Gallman got.

It's something where you have to see the nature of the target. His hands aren't great and anything beyond 5 yards is a crapshoot. Gallman Jr. has shown to be very surehanded in his limited time.

45 minutes ago, SameSongNDance said:

It's all about game script. When you look at the schedule, how many games moving forward do you think NYG will actually be favored? 

Pretty much this. After the bye should be interesting as Sheperd will be fully healthy and rumors are Giants may look into getting another WR. Nothing concrete yet.

On 10/23/2017 at 4:25 PM, SameSongNDance said:

It's all about game script. When you look at the schedule, how many games moving forward do you think NYG will actually be favored? 

Sunday sure is a juicy matchup. The 49ers are god awful against RBs. To RBS, the 49ers are giving up 119 yards rushing, 0.66 rushing TDs, 60 yards receiving and 0.44 receiving RDs per game. Darkwa won't do much in the passing game, his career high watermark is 15 yards receiving in a game. 

Of course there is the opposite end of the coin, the Giants as a team are averaging 82 yards rushing with only 1 rushing TD. 

7 minutes ago, groin pains said:

Anyone rolling him out against SF?  If so, who are you starting him over.  Thinking of benching Mixon for Darkwa.

Starting him over Jack Doyle and Latavius Murray in my flex

8 minutes ago, groin pains said:

Anyone rolling him out against SF?  If so, who are you starting him over.  Thinking of benching Mixon for Darkwa.

I would start Darkwa over Mixon. Was weighing putting him over McKinnon but I doubt I will go through with it. 

22 hours ago, mikel2014 said:

Starting him over Abdullah 

Me too, but thinking of benching Doug Martin for Ameer with Decker coming back.