What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Updated: When does Randall Cobb become a must start WR again? (1 Viewer)

rickyg

Footballguy
The guy hasn't done much this season other than that week 2 3 td outburst vs the Chiefs.

He's been a liability in lineups for 3 straight games. What is everyone doing with him this week against Denver? Are you benching him? If so for who?

Do we take solace in the fact that diggs lit up Denver 3 weeks ago and that Cobb is a similar player with great route running?

Cobb's shoulder injury and inability to push through the added defensive attention has really hurt him this year. He's no longer on the injury report, but he'll still have the defensive attn, and I don't view Adams as a player that other teams respect enough to change that game plan this week. If anything Adams is the start BC the defensive attn will stay on Cobb imo.

I searched for the Cobb thread to post this but didn't find it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I personally think Cobb will have a solid week. Rodgers is going to have to unload very quickly to avoid the Broncos pass rush, and I think Cobb benefits in the slot. If he's passed his shoulder injury, he should have no problem getting open.

Cobb has more catches and yards thru 6 games this year than he did last year and he isnt even on the injury report this week. The Packers get another weapon back in Adams to draw the eyes of other defenders and Cobb has the best QB in the world. Did I read it wrong or did you just say Cobb is a similar player to Diggs? Cobb is not only better than Diggs, Diggs will be luck to be as good as Cobb. Cobb even has 4 TDs, so he is a RZ factor. So to answer the question, yes, Cobb is a must start and this question just looks like panic to me.

Cobb's production (in fantasy points) in standard scoring leagues through 6 games (week 7 bye obviously):

Week 1: 9.80 - Decent WR2 production

Week 2: 11.60 - Decent WR2 production

Week 3: 28.30 - Top flight WR1 production

Week 4: 4.40 - Average to below average WR3 production

Week 5: 2.30 - I could find a wr on my FA list that can do better.

Week 6: 3.80 - See week 5.

Cobb was drafted to be at LEAST a high end WR2/low end WR1 by owners this year. Is the production above satisfactory to you as a 2nd round pick? What you call Panicking, I call seeing reality. Seeing things as they ARE, not as they SHOULD BE. I agree that Cobb is a great WR, but I don't think he is a true WR1 for any NFL team. He sorely misses Jordy Nelson playing the outside and drawing defensive coverage away so that he can work his magic. The extra defensive attention on him this season has proved to be too much to overcome, and his only GREAT game came against the chiefs, a defense that a HS team could pass for 300 yards on.

My comparison of diggs to cobb wasn't based on what they have done in the nfl respectively. I'm just sayng that they are similar players. Similar skillsets. Quick twitch, good route running, decent speed, not the biggest guy. So watching Diggs light up the Denver secondary gives me some hope that maybe cobb won't be shut down completely this week, but I'm not confident in that at all.

Yes, Rodgers is the best QB in the NFL but he has also been slumping last few games. I think that it's totally reasonable to consider sitting Cobb this week in a VERY tough matchup and given his production this year in 5 of 6 weeks. I hope I'm wrong bc he's my WR2 and I'd love nothing more than to start trusting him as a must start regardless of matchup again, but I don't see this as panic. Look at the numbers.

If I hadn't botched the bye week adds last week I wouldn't be starting him because I would have better options. This feels like one of those weeks where the matchups are all horrible and I can't win. Cobb is a big part of that because I have little faith that GB can overcome the Denver defense in Denver. Then next week is Carolina, whoohoo.

I really have no idea how GB has been doing it. Who is scoring TDs for them? Jones, Rodgers, Starks? Because Lacy and Cobb haven't been doing it. Watching the games I don't think it's an injury issue it's a use issue.

Ask the question this way - Who would you drop him for on the FA list? If your answer is you wouldn't drop him, then you decided he's a better long term play than any FA.

I'm facing something similar with Demaryius Thomas. I have Allen Hurns and Tavon Austin averaging more than DT, but I'm not sitting him for Tavon as one of my last two WR and Manning is in far worse shape than Rodgers.

You almost have to ride it out with him in the lineup.

If he's healthy, absolutely a must start every week.

I think the shoulder was a bigger factor than the team admitted. He could still run, so trot him out there to be a decoy. Let's hope the bye week gave him enough time to heal.

I'm torn. I have ARod/Cobb stack but I also have Eli/OBJ...I'm in a heavyweight showdown this week and am waffling between Eli and ARod and also between Cobb and Lamar/Danny/Gio/Dion. My opponent starts Rivers, so Woodhead could be a nice counter.

Most rankings are telling me to stick with the Packer stack, but I'm worried about that defense.

Ask the question this way - Who would you drop him for on the FA list? If your answer is you wouldn't drop him, then you decided he's a better long term play than any FA.

I'm facing something similar with Demaryius Thomas. I have Allen Hurns and Tavon Austin averaging more than DT, but I'm not sitting him for Tavon as one of my last two WR and Manning is in far worse shape than Rodgers.

You almost have to ride it out with him in the lineup.
Absolutely bro. I wouldn't even dream of DROPPING Cobb. That's just crazy talk. What I'm saying is that I don't think he's a must start in tough matchups like this week and next week potentially vs josh norman. If you have other decent options with great matchups on your bench this week and next might be best to bench Cobb.

I'd LOVE for him to prove me wrong this Sunday night and blow up Denver for 100 yards and a td. Nothing would make me happier than to be wrong.

But to ignore his sub par production in 5 of 6 games this year is also a mistake. There is over reaction AND under reaction, and both can be detrimental to your fantasy season.

I read the OP as not suggesting that Cobb be dropped. His question is whether he is a must start, which is complete different from what some of you are making his question to be. For example, if you picked up Diggs and had a choice of starting Cobb or Diggs this week, are you certain you would start Cobb over Diggs based on what we've seen so far? If I had that choice, I would start Diggs.

I'm not sure he is a must start every week, depending on who else you have on your roster. Also, I wonder of the bye week was truly enough to allow him to heal, or whether he will be limited the rest of the year.

He's riding for me. I have A. Jeffrey, B. Marshall and S. Diggs in over him. Just like their matchups more. I didn't think I'd ever have to worry. But I feel okay sitting both James Jones and Cobb at least this week against a tough Denver D.

I feel your pain. None of my top picks have done much to help my team, and Cobb was my 3rd rounder.

1) CJ Anderson

2) Jeremy Hill

3) Cobb

4) Sammy Watkins

5) Arian Foster

Worst top 5 picks ever? Yet somehow I'm sitting in 4th place with the 3rd fewest points scored. Been a really depressing season.

I think as Cobb gets healthier he will start to improve, but I believe he's said that he expects it to bother him all season long, so there's that.

I am starting Odell and Diggs at my WR spots.

In my flex, I am deciding between Cobb, Moncrief and potentially Dez. I am leaning towards Cobb but that I easily chose Diggs and even considered Moncrief/coming off injury Dez vs Seattle, tells me this week Cobb isn't a "must start"

Then I get Allen Robinson off bye next week to further complicate things. Yeah you can never have too much talent but when you have 6 WRs for 3 spots, it does lead to some tough decisions.

And yes I have been trying to make trades to alleviate this glut but when people are offering you things like Jeremy Hill for Odell, you prefer to stand pat.

Expect Cobb to see some time in the backfield like he has been known to do. Starks and Lacy have both been or are banged up.

I read the OP as not suggesting that Cobb be dropped.
I know, but he pointed out that there were players on the WW that were outscoring him for two consecutive weeks. I thought that was the quickest way to a sanity check. There are always players on the WW that outscore guys who were started any given week.

Definitely not a must start (few are, IMO) but I have him in this week along with Keenan Allen, Edelman, and Moncrief. We added an extra flex spot this year...if it was last year, I'd consider sitting him for Moncrief. But for now, he's in over Rishard Matthews if that serves as a gauge for how I view him.

Cobb's production (in fantasy points) in standard scoring leagues through 6 games (week 7 bye obviously):

Cobb was drafted to be at LEAST a high end WR2/low end WR1 by owners this year. Is the production above satisfactory to you as a 2nd round pick? What you call Panicking, I call seeing reality. Seeing things as they ARE, not as they SHOULD BE. I agree that Cobb is a great WR, but I don't think he is a true WR1 for any NFL team. He sorely misses Jordy Nelson playing the outside and drawing defensive coverage away so that he can work his magic. The extra defensive attention on him this season has proved to be too much to overcome, and his only GREAT game came against the chiefs, a defense that a HS team could pass for 300 yards on.

My comparison of diggs to cobb wasn't based on what they have done in the nfl respectively. I'm just sayng that they are similar players. Similar skillsets. Quick twitch, good route running, decent speed, not the biggest guy. So watching Diggs light up the Denver secondary gives me some hope that maybe cobb won't be shut down completely this week, but I'm not confident in that at all.

Yes, Rodgers is the best QB in the NFL but he has also been slumping last few games. I think that it's totally reasonable to consider sitting Cobb this week in a VERY tough matchup and given his production this year in 5 of 6 weeks. I hope I'm wrong bc he's my WR2 and I'd love nothing more than to start trusting him as a must start regardless of matchup again, but I don't see this as panic. Look at the numbers.
I think your definition of "light up" and mine must be different. In fact, I would be completely accurate in saying that Denver held Diggs to career lows in catches, yards, TDs, and Y/R.

ETA: it appears by looking at the play by play that Diggs was covered by Roby - Denvers #3 CB. Diggs was making his first appearance that week, and so he didn't draw any serious attention. I suspect that Chris Harris will be on Cobb this week, so the situations aren't really comparable.

You might want to consider Jeremy Maclin (4-57) , Calvin Johnson (8-77), Golden Tate (5-77), and Amari Cooper (4-47) and their games vs Denver.

Wow, you guys really have me rethinking my lineup

Have AJ and Cobb as my 1/2

Leaving Bryant, Decker, and Moncreif on the bench

Hmmmm

I think your definition of "light up" and mine must be different. In fact, I would be completely accurate in saying that Denver held Diggs to career lows in catches, yards, TDs, and Y/R.ETA: it appears by looking at the play by play that Diggs was covered by Roby - Denvers #3 CB. Diggs was making his first appearance that week, and so he didn't draw any serious attention. I suspect that Chris Harris will be on Cobb this week, so the situations aren't really comparable.

You might want to consider Jeremy Maclin (4-57) , Calvin Johnson (8-77), Golden Tate (5-77), and Amari Cooper (4-47) and their games vs Denver.
Didn't Wallace & Thielen have productive weeks alongside Diggs (Johnson & Wright were out.)

Harris & Talib are really good, but it's not like they're shutting guys out.

Going back to the post with scoring, Cobb's floor the past few weeks is about 4 points. What's the floor for your other options? What is that difference between the two? Probably not a lot.

Now what is the ceiling for each? Probably more of a difference there. Are you playing for a potential difference of just a few points?

Going back to the post with scoring, Cobb's floor the past few weeks is about 4 points. What's the floor for your other options? What is that difference between the two? Probably not a lot.

Now what is the ceiling for each? Probably more of a difference there. Are you playing for a potential difference of just a few points?
good post...I view cobb's production the last few games as a dead spot in my lineup. it's been less than 4 points. I consider myself lucky to have come out of his last 3 games with 2 wins in my league where I own him. So, for me, I'd rather start a guy with a perceived higher ceiling this week and risk the lower floor. Cobb's 3-4 pt average isn't going to help my fantasy team. and the difference b/w that and zero isn't a whole lot. I just don't see the UPSIDE with cobb this week. Denver has only allowed ONE td to opposing WRs all year! So what evidence is there to show that cobb, who hasn't scored a TD over had over 44 yds receiving in his last 3 games, is going to all of the sudden start scoring TDs and have huge yardage against the best defense in the league? Of course, there is ALWAYS the potential for rodgers and co. to wake up and absolutely WALLOP the broncos this week. But that would be an outlier rather than the norm.

So here are the FACTS that we can and should all be able to agree on:

1) Cobb has been slumping for 3 straight games. no more the 44 yds rec. and NO tds to speak of.

2) Cobb has been receiving extra defensive attention and has had trouble overcoming it.

3) Cobb is nursing an injury that, by his own and his coaches admission, is hampering his ability to get open.

4) Cobb is NOT on the injury report this week, so his shoulder may be behind him, but we don't know for certain.

5) Rodgers and the GB offense as a whole has also been in a slump for the last 2 games.

6) The Denver defense is NASTY. They have allowed only ONE td to opposing WRs all year! They are the number one defense against the pass in the NFL.

7) Devante Adams is still very much an unknown with an NFL resume that is filled with more injuries than receptions, touchdowns and yards. We simply don't know if he is good enough to command the type of defensive attention that will help to free up Cobb, at least this week.

Anything other than these points is pure speculation. Things like "they will use cobb in the run game bc lacy and starks are banged up", or "Rodgers will be pressured all day and find cobb on short passes". These things are not out of the realm of possibility but we don't know them for certain. What the FACTS are telling us is that Cobb is no longer in must start territory and that this is the type of matchup where you wouldn't be crazy for sitting him.

You keep talking about that past and what matters is going forward and if a healthy Cobb with Rodgers as his QB is not a must start, I dont know what to tell you to change your mind. You seem like you are trying to convince yourself.

I think your definition of "light up" and mine must be different. In fact, I would be completely accurate in saying that Denver held Diggs to career lows in catches, yards, TDs, and Y/R.ETA: it appears by looking at the play by play that Diggs was covered by Roby - Denvers #3 CB. Diggs was making his first appearance that week, and so he didn't draw any serious attention. I suspect that Chris Harris will be on Cobb this week, so the situations aren't really comparable.

Didn't Wallace & Thielen have productive weeks alongside Diggs (Johnson & Wright were out.)

Harris & Talib are really good, but it's not like they're shutting guys out.
:shrug:

Wallace: 8-83,1

Thielen: 6-70

Wallace had a good game.

Harris & Talib are not Deion Sanders in his prime, but they are good. I'm mostly saying - don't look at what Diggs did and use that as a basis.

It's worth noting that Travis Benjamin is the only back to have a 100 yard receiving game vs Denver.

good post...I view cobb's production the last few games as a dead spot in my lineup. it's been less than 4 points. I consider myself lucky to have come out of his last 3 games with 2 wins in my league where I own him. So, for me, I'd rather start a guy with a perceived higher ceiling this week and risk the lower floor. Cobb's 3-4 pt average isn't going to help my fantasy team. and the difference b/w that and zero isn't a whole lot. I just don't see the UPSIDE with cobb this week. Denver has only allowed ONE td to opposing WRs all year! So what evidence is there to show that cobb, who hasn't scored a TD over had over 44 yds receiving in his last 3 games, is going to all of the sudden start scoring TDs and have huge yardage against the best defense in the league? Of course, there is ALWAYS the potential for rodgers and co. to wake up and absolutely WALLOP the broncos this week. But that would be an outlier rather than the norm.

So here are the FACTS that we can and should all be able to agree on:

1) Cobb has been slumping for 3 straight games. no more the 44 yds rec. and NO tds to speak of.

2) Cobb has been receiving extra defensive attention and has had trouble overcoming it.

3) Cobb is nursing an injury that, by his own and his coaches admission, is hampering his ability to get open.

4) Cobb is NOT on the injury report this week, so his shoulder may be behind him, but we don't know for certain.

5) Rodgers and the GB offense as a whole has also been in a slump for the last 2 games.

6) The Denver defense is NASTY. They have allowed only ONE td to opposing WRs all year! They are the number one defense against the pass in the NFL.

7) Devante Adams is still very much an unknown with an NFL resume that is filled with more injuries than receptions, touchdowns and yards. We simply don't know if he is good enough to command the type of defensive attention that will help to free up Cobb, at least this week.

Anything other than these points is pure speculation. Things like "they will use cobb in the run game bc lacy and starks are banged up", or "Rodgers will be pressured all day and find cobb on short passes". These things are not out of the realm of possibility but we don't know them for certain. What the FACTS are telling us is that Cobb is no longer in must start territory and that this is the type of matchup where you wouldn't be crazy for sitting him.
Denver's defense has been nasty, to date, but this will be far and away their biggest test. Not a lot of Super Bowl contender prospects in BAL, KCC, DET, MIN, OAK, CLE. I realize of course that Denver has a very god defense, but this game should show us a lot more in that regard than their previous 6 IMO.

As far as Cobb goes, I'm in a PPR league and I see this as a slot machine game. Giving Cobb the benefit of the doubt with respect to the shoulder injury during that 3-week slide prior to the bye. He could have 9-10 catches in this game. Yardage might be low compared to the number of catches though (a lot of "movin the chains" type stuff).

Bottom line, starting him.

It's one of those "do you have anything better REALLY?" situations. So I'd assume for most people he's still a must start. But I wouldn't want him. He's not as delicious anymore.

It's one of those "do you have anything better REALLY?" situations. So I'd assume for most people he's still a must start. But I wouldn't want him. He's not as delicious anymore.
Even though he has more catches and yards this year that he did through the same amount of games last year? TDs are hard to predict, but he is being used just the same. Rodgers has the same amount of TDs through this point last year too, they just went to someone else, not Cobb. Cobb has 4 right now, he had 7 at this point last year, so I understand the perception. But the reality is he is the same player.

The 3-game slide is truly uncharted waters for Cobb. Depends on your scoring system of course, but I haven't seen back-to-back games over the past 2-plus seasons where Cobb churned out less than double digit fantasy points.

Optimists would say that he is due (in a big way), pessimists will say he only shines as WR2 on the Packers.

I'm leaning towards optimism, at least for one more week, but I really did not like what I saw in his last game against the Chargers... seemed to be #3 in Rogers progression (at best).

Even though he has more catches and yards this year that he did through the same amount of games last year?
The aggregate is comparable, but in reality it's been three games as top-5 in the league, followed by 3 ranked in the last quarter of the top-100.

I have Cobb in two leagues and I've been sending offers like crazy. Healthy or not, he's gonna struggle against Denver like everyone else and his value will go lower. And what if he's NOT healthy? No one's gonna want to touch him.

Traded him straight up for Amari Cooper and I feel good about it.

Cobb's value took a hit with Jordy going out, and again with a lingering shoulder injury that I think is still hurting production. I don't see Cobb's upside as a mid/low WR1 that he did at the beginning of the season, but I do see his upside in general -- and in particular this week against Denver.

Seen a lot of Denver this year and have to say Harris and especially Talib have been a force. I still think Cobb can gain separation and make plays out of the slot given his route-running and hands. And as a trusted receiver of Rodgers, as Squintz82 says, will likely be targeted a bunch with the need to get the ball out in a hurry against blitz and pressure packages.

Starting Cobb as a WR2 with confidence, but adjusting expectations down from his traditional value -- 4 or 5 catches for 60-70 yards with a crack at a touchdown is very reasonable.

Has DEN actually played a good passing team yet?
I'm glad you pointed this out

Denver has played

Baltimore

KC

Detroit

Minnesota

Oakland

Cleveland

I count zero top flight QB’s on those teams and maybe 3 top flight WR’s

Cobb's value took a hit with Jordy going out, and again with a lingering shoulder injury that I think is still hurting production.
I have been saying the same thing this thread over and over into comments like yours, he has more yards and more catches through this point last year and I think people feel this because he has had a bad few games, without TDs. Rodgers has as many TDs as this point last year too. Cobb had three games of under 40 yards thru this many games last year, the only difference is he had 3 more TDs. I think some are just in panic mode. He also had as many 100 yard games as he had through this point last year, technically everything is identical to last years except 4 TDs to 3. TDs will come eventually.

Cobb's value took a hit with Jordy going out, and again with a lingering shoulder injury that I think is still hurting production.
I have been saying the same thing this thread over and over into comments like yours, he has more yards and more catches through this point last year and I think people feel this because he has had a bad few games, without TDs. Rodgers has as many TDs as this point last year too. Cobb had three games of under 40 yards thru this many games last year, the only difference is he had 3 more TDs. I think some are just in panic mode. He also had as many 100 yard games as he had through this point last year, technically everything is identical to last years except 4 TDs to 3. TDs will come eventually.
Sounds like you're praying and crossing your fingers. He's only scored in 2 games all year. The 3 TD game saves his stats from looking too bad. I'm hoping it was a case of his shoulder not being 100% and the bye week helped him heal. But he doesn't look the same as he has in the past. A healthy shoulder and getting Adams back might be just what the doctor ordered. Otherwise, he looks like a matchup play going forward.

He's got a good floor, and we know where his ceiling is. I don't care about his opponent, he's going to get his snaps as he always has, with Rodgers as his QB. Like everyone else, I want more from him. I suspect we will see it.

I suppose that one thing we can all take solace in is that during the time Randall Cobb has been slumping the entire Packers offense has been slumping with him. So it's not likethey are lighting up the scoreboard and Cobb just isn't getting his

Sounds like you're praying and crossing your fingers. He's only scored in 2 games all year. The 3 TD game saves his stats from looking too bad.I'm hoping it was a case of his shoulder not being 100% and the bye week helped him heal. But he doesn't look the same as he has in the past. A healthy shoulder and getting Adams back might be just what the doctor ordered. Otherwise, he looks like a matchup play going forward.
Agree here with everything but the matchup-play.

Dirtyjay, I do agree with the sentiment that no one should be panicking over Cobb - he has shown production and value in this high octane offense. But watching him play, it's clear that he has not had the same mobility given the injury. This could heal, but for the time being, his performance has been way less reliable and much more variable. There is no consistent floor that Cobb seemed to have last year.

Reliability and a consistent floor is what made Cobb fantasy gold for owners. With that gone, so does the WR1 upside.

On the other hand, I don't think his floor just dropped to the basement like an elevator with a cut cable. GB has the kind of offense where Cobb could be effective any given Sunday, so I still think he can be a solid W2, rather than a play-the-matchup kind of guy.

Bye week to allow him to heal more, and give a little restart to the offense in general. I'd not bail on Cobb just yet.

That said, the huge panic may allow you to get him in a trade cheap.

Ok so I'm not the only one who's feeling that a wait and see approach is warranted with Cobb.

I'm definitely NOT dropping him. And definitely NOT going to trade him away for peanuts. But I WILL gladly sit his #### on the bench if I have a good player with a better matchup in any given week. Until Cobb gives me a reason to think otherwise.

Guys still feel preety strongly on Cobb?

Im kinda disappointed now myself..

I made a few roster changes, and wound up with Langford..

If I go by "current floor", I'm thinking I sit Cobb

I'm starting 5 WRs this week, and Cobb is one of them.

If you're starting 2-3 WRs and have better options, benching him is certainly an option.

I think most who own Cobb are disappointed, but likely not benching him unless you have another consistent WR1 instead. As mentioned, benching is an option, but would imagine leaving those potential points on the bench is harder even with Cobb's failure to live up to expectations this year.

Users who are viewing this thread