What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The FRONTLINE thread: This week, "Putin's Revenge," the real fake news story (1 Viewer)

Doctor Detroit

Please remove your headgear
I watch every week and always have comments about the program.

Here is the latest episode entitled: Inside Assad's Syria
-It is quite dark and sobering, but as per usual, it's great journalism.

I really enjoy the three part series on the Pan Am 103 bombing entitled: My Brother's bomber

We also have a great thread going here at FBG, maybe the best thread this forum has ever produced, called: The Retirement Gamble, a sorta must see

And on and on and on. Some of their programs I'm not all that interested in, but watch anyway for the incredible unbiased approach and a level of access no one in the world has to telling a story.

If you're not watching this program, you should. If you only watch one news documentary show, this is the one.

I'll update this thread when a new show is aired and give the link, almost every program is worth some discussion. If you are already a dedicated watcher, kudos to you.

Last edited by a moderator:
This week's episode Inside Assad's Syria was tough to watch. The incredible pain and suffering of the Syrian people, especially in Hommes, is stark and sobering. I thought the story of the Syrian Army regulars who defected then came back because of the complete disorder around them, was interesting.

The Syrian regular they interviewed who blamed the U.S., Turkey, and the Zionist backers for the issues there was also fascinating. Whether we have done the right or wrong thing in Syria is up for debate, but the thoughts of the people living there is not something I take lightly. They have to fight ISIS and these other splinter groups, they are the ones losing family and friends to what is complete chaos.

I have been telling people here since I've been posting that the Saudis are among the dirtiest dealers in human flesh on earth, and there is some commentary supporting that in this episode. How deep the ties to ISIS of the people deep inside the Kingdom might not be known for years, but they aren't discouraging that movement either. Too bad this is happening in Syria, seems like they have some hot women. :mellow:

Last edited by a moderator:
btw, thanks for the link. Recently got rid of cable and didn't realize I could stream directly from their site. Last one I saw was the chicken episode. I've got catching up to do

btw, thanks for the link. Recently got rid of cable and didn't realize I could stream directly from their site. Last one I saw was the chicken episode. I've got catching up to do
The three part on the Pan Am bombing is well worth the time invested. I think that is Emmy-worthy journalism and the end result is pretty amazing.

I hope the shows announcer, Will Lyman, never dies. He does such a great job. Love his voice.

Love it as well. That Syria #### is too depressing for me though.. much like VICE (not half as good as Frontline, but often worth a watch), sometimes I just take a pass and spare myself the misery. The Lockerbie series was awesome.

I wonder if this thread will have some legs. I started following on twitter just to try and keep abreast, but frankly they tweet wayyy too damn much.

There's only so many shows I can watch that outline scams, suffering, injustices, etc.

I already watch John Oliver who at least makes you laugh a little while watching otherwise depressing stuff.

But overall I've decided that ignorance is bliss.... other than maybe making you feel like your problems are completely trivial and are BS... there's just no reason for me to watch something like this that IMO makes you feel worse about yourself/society.

There's only so many shows I can watch that outline scams, suffering, injustices, etc.

I already watch John Oliver who at least makes you laugh a little while watching otherwise depressing stuff.

But overall I've decided that ignorance is bliss.... other than maybe making you feel like your problems are completely trivial and are BS... there's just no reason for me to watch something like this that IMO makes you feel worse about yourself/society.
I've evolved/devolved to this philosophy as well. I used to like being highly informed but I found that just made me less happy.

Best stuff on TV. Unbiased, informative and indepth. Nothing compares really that I have seen.

I don't see many these days- just don't have the time to sit through one now with the kids running around. But it use to be that my news/documentary digest would be: Frontline, BBC News America, PBS Nightly Business Report and 60 Minutes. Both BBC and NBR are no longer around (you can get BBC news still and NBR is now on CNBC I suppose). I catch 60 Minutes here and there when something really seems interesting to me but haven't watched a Frontline in a very long time. :(

I think The Economist is the paper version of Frontline. Again, something I don't get to read as much as I would like to. Should be the Platinum standard for all their peers to aspire to.

The truth is not for everyone. I understand where you are coming from but if more people watched this show, the less the world would suck IMO.

Yeah I saw the one on Syria, really good. It is the best news show on TV. I also liked the one on Putin, these are real eye openers and real journalism.

If you started watching My Brother's Bomber and weren't all that interested, you have to get through the first episode for it to start coming together. By mid way through the 2nd episode you'll be completely hooked and the third installment is gold. The aftermath of that led to new charges filed by DOJ, it's quite incredible.

If you started watching My Brother's Bomber and weren't all that interested, you have to get through the first episode for it to start coming together. By mid way through the 2nd episode you'll be completely hooked and the third installment is gold. The aftermath of that led to new charges filed by DOJ, it's quite incredible.
Really was good. The interviews with the slimeball that manufactured the timers was fascinating. Probably the best one I've seen on there in recent memory. Wished it was more than just 3 episodes.

The truth is not for everyone. I understand where you are coming from but if more people watched this show, the less the world would suck IMO.
How do you figure? I've watched some of the episodes of this show. It hasn't made me act or do anything about it.

As I mentioned before, I watch John Oliver and see a lot of the things that he exposes and brings to light... other than awareness of the scam/atrocity it hasn't made me act.

How do you figure? I've watched some of the episodes of this show. It hasn't made me act or do anything about it.

As I mentioned before, I watch John Oliver and see a lot of the things that he exposes and brings to light... other than awareness of the scam/atrocity it hasn't made me act.
Act on what? Watching Frontline makes you more informed, more enlightened, and more willing to accept the world around you. Well informed people tend to be much less judgmental and prejudice to whatever issue or movement, and see both sides of a coin.

Watched the Syria one last night after this was posted. Was completely fascinating to me, but left me with a lot more questions than answers. That entire region confuses the hell out of me, and I suspect it also confuses our government. The part that got me thinking the most was when they suggested the Saudis are largely responsible for what is going on in Syria. I've always wondered why Saudi Arabia isn't doing more to help these governments reestablish control, and if the assertions made in this Frontline are correct they may be directly involved in destabilizing the region.

Watched the Syria one last night after this was posted. Was completely fascinating to me, but left me with a lot more questions than answers. That entire region confuses the hell out of me, and I suspect it also confuses our government. The part that got me thinking the most was when they suggested the Saudis are largely responsible for what is going on in Syria. I've always wondered why Saudi Arabia isn't doing more to help these governments reestablish control, and if the assertions made in this Frontline are correct they may be directly involved in destabilizing the region.
Once you understand Islam- the differences between Shia and Sunni as well as the myriad of sects, add in Christianity/Judaism, the various ethnic backgrounds, and the history of the land, governments and all religion/ethnicities- then it is not all that confusing. Just more maddening in how it is a pit of an unsolvable mess.

Once you understand Islam- the differences between Shia and Sunni as well as the myriad of sects, add in Christianity/Judaism, the various ethnic backgrounds, and the history of the land, governments and all religion/ethnicities- then it is not all that confusing. Just more maddening in how it is a pit of an unsolvable mess.
I mostly do understand the fundamental differences in the religions/ethnicities. The part that I fail to understand is why after centuries they still can't co-exist. I feel like we basically need to just pull out of that region 100% and let them do their thing.

Dickies said:
Saudi does contribute a lot to the region, They build mosques, provide financial support, and lend humanitarian assistance where needed but ONLY IF you are a sunni Muslim nation. Syria is a Shi'a nation and one with close ties to Iran, the Saudi's most hated rival.

Moreover the Islam practiced in the Kingdom is Wahhabi, the most strict and dangerous version of the sect. How dangerous? Well ISIS espouses the most primitive version of Wahhabism, the Taliban does as well. ISIS targets Jews and Shi'a Muslims in particular, something that most Saudi's aren't against. So Saudi Arabia creates more problems than they solve and as I've said for years, may be the most dangerous country to the U.S. in the region, not Iran.

I've spent a lot of time in that country and I never felt so looked down upon anywhere in my numerous travels. The people don't generally care who you are or what you are about, they just know you are an infidel and a non believer in Islam. Not a fan. Would like to continue but I have to run.

Agree with DD on this show. I usually miss it when they air but it's easy to watch from their website. They make every topic interesting. I have not watched the Pan Am 103 yet but I definitely will check it out. Looks like a good one.

Watched all three My Brother's Bomber episodes yesterday afternoon instead of the god awful late NFL games. Such a great show. I rarely watch when they air, but when I catch up online and watch one I'm always glad I did. The things that were crazy to me was A. how long the reporter was away from his family investigating, and B. what an amazing job he did connecting dots that the original investigators weren't able to connect (or didn't have the materials to connect), and C. that the Scottish doctor stood by his "friend" in the face of overwhelming evidence contradictory to his beliefs.

Watched all three My Brother's Bomber episodes yesterday afternoon instead of the god awful late NFL games. Such a great show. I rarely watch when they air, but when I catch up online and watch one I'm always glad I did. The things that were crazy to me was A. how long the reporter was away from his family investigating, and B. what an amazing job he did connecting dots that the original investigators weren't able to connect (or didn't have the materials to connect), and C. that the Scottish doctor stood by his "friend" in the face of overwhelming evidence contradictory to his beliefs.
Just watched Part 1, and liking it.

The best. The united states of secrets and obamas america from last year were great. They have the best voice over guy doing their stuff in Will Lyman. He is what I try to replicate when doing my podcast.
Holy crap. I never realized that was him but he always sounded so familiar. He was in a student film I worked on 20 years ago. Good guy. Good for him.

I've spent time in Kunar province, takes 4 hours to drive 45 miles. It's the most remote place I've ever been sans some time in the Sahara in Tchad.

Saudi does contribute a lot to the region, They build mosques, provide financial support, and lend humanitarian assistance where needed but ONLY IF you are a sunni Muslim nation. Syria is a Shi'a nation and one with close ties to Iran, the Saudi's most hated rival.

Moreover the Islam practiced in the Kingdom is Wahhabi, the most strict and dangerous version of the sect. How dangerous? Well ISIS espouses the most primitive version of Wahhabism, the Taliban does as well. ISIS targets Jews and Shi'a Muslims in particular, something that most Saudi's aren't against. So Saudi Arabia creates more problems than they solve and as I've said for years, may be the most dangerous country to the U.S. in the region, not Iran.

I've spent a lot of time in that country and I never felt so looked down upon anywhere in my numerous travels. The people don't generally care who you are or what you are about, they just know you are an infidel and a non believer in Islam. Not a fan. Would like to continue but I have to run.
Saudi Arabia (in particular Mecca) are extremely interesting parts of the planet I'll never visit.

"The Taliban takes their orders from Pakistani Intelligence, we take our orders from God."

:hey: Pakistan, here comes a reckoning for all your dirty pool.

Saudi Arabia (in particular Mecca) are extremely interesting parts of the planet I'll never visit.
I've been to Jeddah, that's about as close as an infidel (and I am the proudest infidel evah) gets to Mecca.

One thing though, ISIS does one thing very well...they create enemies of everyone. So this could actually help the Afghan government and the Taliban reach some sort of temporary peace accord with the goal of eliminating ISIS. Of course that accord would only last until the last ISIS guy is dead, and then it all starts over again. That is one place on this earth that will never have peace. It's very sad to me, I love Afghanistan.

Users who are viewing this thread