What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Is a hot dog considered a sandwich? (1 Viewer)

Is a hot dog considered a sandwich?

• Total voters

fantasycurse42

Footballguy Jr.
Somebody made an argument that if the bun is replaced by two slices of bread, it is a sandwich - I disagree.

Last edited by a moderator:
it is meat, and usually condiments and/or vegies, between bread

works for me

not that i care much

a sandwich can be anything from PB&J, egg, steak, sausage, cheese, and so on.. a hot dog is a nickname for a 'ground lips, hooves, and a-holes' sandwich

It probably is by definition, but I say it is its own category.

Absolutely a sandwich. It's meat between bread.
If you texted your wife and said "bring me home a sandwich" and she came home with a hot dog, what would your thoughts be?
Not married but if I were, my thoughts would the same as if she brought me home pb&J. I'd be mad at myself for not specifying what I wanted. Doesn't make the item she purchased any less of a sandwich.

IMO, hot dog meets all the necessary criteria. If a hot dog isn't a sandwich, neither are sausage and peppers or meatball parm

Yeah but you order a "sausage and pepper sandwich" and a "meatball parm sandwich". You don't order a "hot dog sandwich".

Hey guys, is a grilled cheese with only one slice of bread on the bottom considered a pizza? If I heat up my pudding cup in the microwave isn't that a cappuccino? If i sprinkle sugar on the stuffing in my pillow isn't that cotton candy?

Sandwich = bread stacked vertically.

Hot dog != vertical
In response to this, Is a Lobster Roll a Sandwich? It's lobster and a couple fixings in a New England Style Hot Dog Roll (Hot Dog Roll with split top).

From the American Heritage Dictionary:

Sandwich
1. a. Two or more slices of bread with a filling such as meat or cheese placed between them.
b. A partly split long or round roll containing a filling.
c. One slice of bread covered with a filling.
2. Something resembling a sandwich: She layered a scoop of vanilla ice cream between two cookies to create a sandwich.
p.s. also from Mike and Mike :bag:

No...it's a hot dog. Red Hot's, Frankfurter.

No one ever refers to this American delicacy as a hot dog sandwich.

no one refers to a cheeseburger as a cheeseburger sandwich, but it is..

#### technicalities.

Now back up here sparky. It is a burger. Buns do not make sandwiches. Buns make subs.
Crap like this is why I don't wander into the FFA more often. :doh:

Wait - I can say "crap" but not #####?? Wow, things change fast around here.

Now back up here sparky. It is a burger. Buns do not make sandwiches. Buns make subs.
and subs are part of the sandwich family
Hence the term "sub sandwich" or "submarine sandwich"

and subs are part of the sandwich family
Hence the term "sub sandwich" or "submarine sandwich"
Okay, I lose that one. How about the burger.

Sandwich = bread stacked vertically.

Hot dog != vertical
In response to this, Is a Lobster Roll a Sandwich? It's lobster and a couple fixings in a New England Style Hot Dog Roll (Hot Dog Roll with split top).

From the American Heritage Dictionary:

Sandwich
1. a. Two or more slices of bread with a filling such as meat or cheese placed between them.
b. A partly split long or round roll containing a filling.
c. One slice of bread covered with a filling.
2. Something resembling a sandwich: She layered a scoop of vanilla ice cream between two cookies to create a sandwich.
p.s. also from Mike and Mike :bag:
So by this definition, "something resebling a sandwich" equals a sandwich? So a ceramic figure of a sandwich or even a drawing of a sandwich is now an actual sandwich? American Heritage is off-base here.

I am outraged- outraged!- at the results of this poll.

Of course it's a sandwich. There is no possible definition you can come up with for sandwich that a hot dog would not fit. Easy call.

I am outraged- outraged!- at the results of this poll.

Of course it's a sandwich. There is no possible definition you can come up with for sandwich that a hot dog would not fit. Easy call.
Sand·wich
[ˈsan(d)wiCH]
DEFINITION
  1. a town in southeastern Massachusetts, on Cape Cod, a resort with a history of glassmaking; pop. 20,129 (est. 2008).

Users who are viewing this thread