What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Washington's Running Back situation? (1 Viewer)

robb

Footballguy
Don't see a separate topic on this, but any Washington homers have a sense who will come up with the most points this weekend in a PPR format between Morris, Thompson and Jones? Sounds as if Morris will start and Thompson is healthy, but it is a RBBC.

It's amazing how worthless a stud like Morris became
OP said PPR. Morris has always been better in non-ppr, but yeah his value has dropped very low. Didn't they change blocking schemes or something? I know they've had OL injuries but I thought I read that they are getting healthier now.

Thompson should get a lot of receptions @NE this week, and is probably the better option in ppr any week. But he's small and has a history of back problems (high school, college, and NFL). I wouldn't want to be in a position where I need him as an every week starter.

In non-ppr, none are good until WAS stops abandoning the run. They started the year running 38 times per game, WAY more than the next closest team iirc. And they looked pretty good playing that way. I'm not sure what happened but something changed.

If they return to running and commit to it, Jones or Morris could regain value. Jones, probably, if he can hang onto the ball and avoid injuries. Otherwise, Morris. Probably not going to happen.

Morris is a FA next year, so he might end up doing well somewhere else in a scheme that fits him better.

The corpse of Alfred Morris keeps getting thrown onto the field for some strange reason. Thompson is the only guy worth a ####.

People will think it's the other two RB's and a change in blocking scheme that's killing Morris, and that he'll light it up somewhere else when Kyle Shanahan gets a HC gig somewhere, but he looks bad. Sluggish, doesn't fall forward for extra yardage, not slipping tackles like in the past. No idea what's going on.

People will think it's the other two RB's and a change in blocking scheme that's killing Morris, and that he'll light it up somewhere else when Kyle Shanahan gets a HC gig somewhere, but he looks bad. Sluggish, doesn't fall forward for extra yardage, not slipping tackles like in the past. No idea what's going on.
This is interesting. I thought I saw others saying Morris looked like same as ever. I haven't seen him play much if any this year. He's never been much of a receiver, so no surprise Thompson dominates RB targets.

Anyone Skins homers seen them play? What's the problem with Morris and Jones lately?

This is interesting. I thought I saw others saying Morris looked like same as ever. I haven't seen him play much if any this year. He's never been much of a receiver, so no surprise Thompson dominates RB targets.Anyone Skins homers seen them play? What's the problem with Morris and Jones lately?
Jones runs like his hair's on fire but the OL is starting two backups in the interior right now and isn't opening up holes. He also was injured for a while. Morris, I have no idea. I'd be shocked if other Skins homers disagree with me, Morris does not look like himself, other than a coupe isolated runs earlier in the year. He always was able to slip tackles behind the LOS and never got caught in the backfield even when plays were blown up, now we're consistently getting stuffed on 1st and 10 when we run with Morris. After the handoff, his burst through the hole isn't the same. At the point of contact, he's not getting that hidden yardage anymore, he's downright easy to tackle. It's baffling, unless his legs are done already. He's probably had over 1,000 touches in his short 4 year career, and maybe he had a huge workload in college, idk.Gruden said that one thing they had to focus on over the bye was figuring out what in the blue hell happened to that early season running game. I wouldn't be surprised if Morris gets an even smaller piece of the pie coming out of the bye as he's been downright unimpressive.

Last edited by a moderator:
None of the Redskins RB's are startable in any format this year, especially not this weekend.
Actually, Thompson has been a decent flex play some weeks, if its a blowout he could be rolling in touches. If he plays. I haven't been paying attention to his status. But the larger point is that if you can predict the game script, he's a decent flex play in PPR.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is interesting. I thought I saw others saying Morris looked like same as ever. I haven't seen him play much if any this year. He's never been much of a receiver, so no surprise Thompson dominates RB targets.Anyone Skins homers seen them play? What's the problem with Morris and Jones lately?
Jones runs like his hair's on fire but the OL is starting two backups in the interior right now and isn't opening up holes. He also was injured for a while. Morris, I have no idea. I'd be shocked if other Skins homers disagree with me, Morris does not look like himself, other than a coupe isolated runs earlier in the year. He always was able to slip tackles behind the LOS and never got caught in the backfield even when plays were blown up, now we're consistently getting stuffed on 1st and 10 when we run with Morris. After the handoff, his burst through the hole isn't the same. At the point of contact, he's not getting that hidden yardage anymore, he's downright easy to tackle. It's baffling, unless his legs are done already. He's probably had over 1,000 touches in his short 4 year career, and maybe he had a huge workload in college, idk.Gruden said that one thing they had to focus on over the bye was figuring out what in the blue hell happened to that early season running game. I wouldn't be surprised if Morris gets an even smaller piece of the pie coming out of the bye as he's been downright unimpressive.
I watched tape on Morris and it honestly doesn't look like he's even trying. Sometimes he looks absolutely content to run ahead into a pile of bodies for 1 or 2 yards. It's actually painful to watch.

Jones looks infinitely better but let's be honest he's not exactly lighting it up either. He's averaging 4YPC on the season but that's heavily padded by his 19/123/2 game. Regardless, if WAS comes out of their bye and continues to give Morris any touches I'll be stumped. Jones does everything Morris does but better, plus he doesn't have stone hands.

I believe Thompson ranks 4th in targets per game for RBs. He's probably the only RB on the teams who has consistently looked good with his touches. Optimally I'd like to see Jones handle early down work with Thompson functioning as a COP. Morris needs to be phased out.

It's amazing how worthless a stud like Morris became
OP said PPR. Morris has always been better in non-ppr, but yeah his value has dropped very low. Didn't they change blocking schemes or something? I know they've had OL injuries but I thought I read that they are getting healthier now.Thompson should get a lot of receptions @NE this week, and is probably the better option in ppr any week. But he's small and has a history of back problems (high school, college, and NFL). I wouldn't want to be in a position where I need him as an every week starter.

In non-ppr, none are good until WAS stops abandoning the run. They started the year running 38 times per game, WAY more than the next closest team iirc. And they looked pretty good playing that way. I'm not sure what happened but something changed.

If they return to running and commit to it, Jones or Morris could regain value. Jones, probably, if he can hang onto the ball and avoid injuries. Otherwise, Morris. Probably not going to happen.

Morris is a FA next year, so he might end up doing well somewhere else in a scheme that fits him better.
What changed was they are hardly in a game script that allows them to run the ball that much. Both sides of the ball have suffered injuries so they can't sustain drives or get off the field.plus Alf seems to go down on first contact now. Jones runs without patience sometimes and gets caught trying to bounce outside. Thomson is tiny and is hurting. Add it all up and you get no viable option at RB

I heard on a podcast a couple weeks ago that through week 7 according to PFF Alf had something like 3 broken tackles on the year which was dead last by a mile among rbs with any significant amount of carries.

I've tried to cheaply buy Matt Jones in a couple leagues just in case they turn over the reigns to him.

Gruden track record: when they get behind early, they will abandon the run and pass most downs. In this situation he likes Thompson. While the Skins won't beat the Patriots, they may actually amass a lot of garbage time passing yardage in the second half, and check downs to Thompson will be a part of that.

None of the Redskins RB's are startable in any format this year, especially not this weekend.
Actually, Thompson has been a decent flex play some weeks, if its a blowout he could be rolling in touches. If he plays. I haven't been paying attention to his status. But the larger point is that if you can predict the game script, he's a decent flex play in PPR.
You can't really predict game flow.

I would avoid all of them this week, but I think MattJ is the one to own ROS and will be the main man next year.

You can't really predict game flow.

I would avoid all of them this week, but I think MattJ is the one to own ROS and will be the main man next year.
But Vegas can and WAS is currently +14..they are by and far the biggest dogs this week.

Thompson is the best value of the three. Jones is highly coveted as a key dynasty piece for those owners waiting for the ALMO era to come to an end. But it might take some time, and there is always uncertainty heading into next year if Jones can't get a late season run going. He could be an afterthought if the draft falls the right way for Washington. And ALMO is just about done. If I owned him in dynasty, I'd be looking to unload him as a throw in just to get any value that's left.

Thompson continues to get a nice, steady diet of targets. In PPR he carries a high floor and low ceiling. And he's borderline waiver wire or last guy on everyone's bench. Highly undervalued compared to some other lower tier starting RB's and big name handcuffs.

FWIW, from Rotoworld:

Chris Thompson (back) is practicing in full for Week 9 against the Patriots.
Thompson injured his back Week 6 and sat out the game before the Redskins' Week 8 bye. Now healthy, he should resume his role as the Redskins' pass-game back. Washington is 14-point underdogs on the road at New England, and Thompson could soak up a ton of snaps in catch-up mode. He was targeted at least seven times out of the backfield in 3-of-4 games between Weeks 3-6. Nov 5 - 2:15 AM

Users who are viewing this thread