What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

DFS to stop in New York? Sign the petition! (1 Viewer)

Well... too late.

@darrenrovell BREAKING: NY Attorney General says daily fantasy is gambling & illegal, says DraftKings & FanDuel must cease operating & taking action in NY

Last edited by a moderator:
Withdraw? Or keep playing as this will be a court battle?
Terrible news. You can keep playing until the sites make you stop (would expect some type of announcement from them soon, most likely tomorrow) and your money is safe and you will be able to withdraw if they do indeed ban NY residents and don't file an appeal.

In Nevada, they let contests that already started to complete and paid out accordingly, for contests that have not yet started you would have your entry cancelled and refunded once that decision is made. Warning if you play on DK that late-swap could get disabled for you in a current contest.

I still think this all stems back to the companies wanting to grow too fast. Granted, you want growth, but why not aim for a steady growth rather than an explosion? Just a couple years ago it was a big thing when the total prize pool was $1 million. Why do you need a $1 million top prize?

I mentioned this somewhere else, but I think it's worth noting again: The attacks against these daily sites are coming from both sides -- it's a game of luck and it's a game of skill "dominated" by "the sharks". You can't have skilled players (i.e., "sharks") dominating a game that is luck.

I work in politics and have interned with politicians. These petitions are a complete waste of time and energy.

Im sure they have lawyers that have told them not to, but they should be suing these DAs to for an injunction and legal conformation that DFS isnt gambling. Fanduel and Draftkings obviously have the data to backup the long term win rates of a large number of players for extended periods of time

:kicksrock:

Just moved back up here to Brooklyn six months ago after being in a NO DFS state previously. This sucks.

I can't help but think Illinois is next. ####### politicians think they have to keep up with NY.

I went ahead and drafted a response to the NY AG for Fanduel and DraftKings. If anyone from those organizations frequents these forums, please feel free to use it.

To Whom It May Concern,

Because .... NY State Lottery.

Sincerely,

<Insert Daily Fantasy Sports Website>

fyi some ny folks are now being blocked from withdrawing to Paypal.
Sounds like fishing to me.

I just tested and I'm fine:

"✔ Thank you for your withdrawal request. The funds have been deducted from your balance and will be sent to you via PayPal within 48 hours"

JimmyJabroni said:
We are still hanging on here in PA for the moment while our local guys are trying to figure out if they can amend a bill to shakedown the industry by offering them protection for a fee and percent of their revenue. Thankfully for now it looks like it's moving more slowly than it appeared to be originally.
just wait till Tony gives them an offer they can't refuse

Fanduel Notice – This weekend’s contests will run as normal, with no restriction for NY. FanDuel received a letter from NYAG but no action is immediately required. We will alert NY users immediately if there is any change to your ability to play on FD.

Would anyone risk it? I don't want problems withdrawing money... guess a handful of contests wouldn't hurt...

Would anyone risk it? I don't want problems withdrawing money... guess a handful of contests wouldn't hurt...
I'm worried that you can enter the contests just fine, but the Mon payout window will occur after FD's 5-day window to respond has elapsed.

It's just weird to me what AGs and politicians decide to campaign against. Tried to buy some concert tickets this morning at the exact second they went on sale, tried for 2-3 minutes and all of a sudden they were sold out, but hey, I can buy all I want on Stub Hub for 2x the ticket price. Penny auction sites like Beezid blatantly false advertise and take advantage of people. Why is nothing done about this crap? I have lost faith in our government.

I'm worried that you can enter the contests just fine, but the Mon payout window will occur after FD's 5-day window to respond has elapsed.
When you look up what happened in Nevada, it seems people withdrew their money okay. It just wasn't accepted in entries afterwards

Wish I knew. I think it's interesting that fd replaced the banner saying there would be no restrictions for ny players with a banner saying ny players can't deposit. lol.

Is that a paypal thing? Draftkings wants to fight New York, but I doubt Paypal does
I'm not sure if it IS the internet gaming law or came out same time.

Sometimes a site skirts the laws/system, so they made money transfers as the thing that's illegal back then.

Poker sites were going offshore, there was a lot of "cute" ideas and so the gov't went to the money transfers rather than play that cuteness game.

I still don't believe much of this state blockage stuff.

Our gov't has never turned down this much easy money.

Next summer, 2017... it'll come back to where they are allowing it and taxing a percent.

FD and DK will go to Indian land or some foreign land too. Maybe they could be the new revival of Atlantic City. Maybe Toronto, which does have Bills games there, has laws which allow this and blocking international $ transfers this frequently isn't what the gov't wants.

Clearly I don't know what the solution is but there will be one, there's way too much money involved.

DK keeps having these ads hiring people to work in London...no idea if this means anything, offshore etc

All that I will say is all these Contest are rigged. Why anyone would want to play in these Contest when you have no shot at winning the Top prizes is asinine.

Have a Good Day.

Here's a pretty decent read about the NY situation. Too many people in the media have used the "skill vs. luck" analysis as the issue, but that's a red herring. The issue in NY is the meaning of “a future contingent event not under [that person’s] control or influence". If that's defined to include DFS, then it will also include "traditional" season-long fantasy sports, NCAA brackets, etc. And I think that's really a problem as evidenced by the DA's complete melt-down (substantively speaking) on that issue. I think the article's author is totally off base in his effort to offer a distinction between DFS and season-long -- roster management. If anything, I think his take on that leads precisely to the DF and DK position -- building the roster is the actual "event", not the sports games themselves.

http://www.legalsportsreport.com/6653/new-york-dfs-case-key-argument/

The AG/DA should have done a better job on that question about the difference between daily and regular FF. I think you have this judge, and there will be others, who will have to be educated in the issue, but the general FF world should worry if the prosecutors are ignorant on the subject. That FLA case was a long time ago, issues can be revisited and politicians have a bad habit of overreacting.

Users who are viewing this thread