What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Diagnosed with fatty liver - don't let it happen to you (1 Viewer)

I have been a pretty heavy drinker, partier since high school. It was the mid-70s and was just the way it was. I was always pretty skinny - 5'9"/119 lbs HS graduation. I could drink most anyone under that table (not old alcoholics ...but most all of my friends and their friends anyway ...). I was an awesome drunk - loved to take speed and then plow away. I got energized, always a friendly drunk but not obnoxious, could still hold lucid conversations, etc. Alcohol has always been my social lubricant. Love how it makes me feel and love the social aspect of it.

A few years ago, every so often I noticed that I would get fall down drunk sometimes which never used to happen. It just would hit me out of nowhere - like when you first started doing tequila shots - all is good and then wham ...shovel to the side of the head.

Then I noticed I had more stomach problems and the trots more often. Well over the last 4-5 years things have continued to get worse. I have lost some social connections because of getting too hammered at parties, I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, and generally didn't feel nearly as well I should.

Golfing has been difficult, as I was having pain in my lower mid-back and under my front right ribcage. Was tested several times and told my liver enzymes were way up (have been high for a long time but at that point really high). I had an ultrasound Wednesday. Was diagnosed with a fatty liver. If things aren't significantly better, a liver biopsy is next.

Now no alcohol, almost zero carbs, etc for a while. Worst was last night - I thought I was having a heart attack - lots of pain just below my ribcage, just below the heart, painful bloat, chest tight, hard to breathe. Couldn't get comfortable in any position and just walked the house wondering if I should call 911 or try and drive to the hospital. My jaw was tightening a bit but didn't have that metallic taste in my mouth. Though I probably should have, I just hung through it till I past out around 6am this morning.

This scared the living hell out of me and may have finally woken me up to doing something serious about my health. I know the chances are pretty good that I am a functional alcoholic so this may be tough. I have to start walking, exercising, and eating right. Then on a social level - not drink - at least for the next few months. Ugh.
Don't worry about it too much GB you do need to make some changes.

I had a blood test about 25 years ago right after a fishing trip with my buddies not even realizing WTF they were testing for. My liver enzymes were through the roof. My doctor thought I was having liver failure. Stupid me. She was seriously panicking. She told me to not drink for 30 days and to get tested again. That really sucked being in my 20's in the summer time and drinking O'Douls. Ran the numbers again and they were fine. Of course because of this incident I get blood drawn at least annually which isn't all bad since I love booze and I do like to monitor my health the best I can. As a matter of fact I'm having blood drawn this week.

You know from the GMTAN I exercise A LOT walking 4-8 miles a day depending on mow much time I have. I also watch what I eat. My experience over the last quarter century is that as long as you exercise and don't eat fatty food all the time, you'll be okay. I wait 7-10 days since my last drink and my liver enzymes come back perfect. If I do it less than 7 days, they are almost always elevated.

I talked to a couple doctors, colleagues of Mrs. SLB, about the fatty liver thing and both just smiled and kind of rolled their eyes. I was told that almost everybody has a fatty liver to one degree or another. Unless you are a really serious alcoholic, which I don't think you are, you're probably cool. Lose some weight though. ;)

ETA

Don't waste your money on supplements like milk thistle. I tried this and didn't notice any difference in numbers. I have been drinking green tea the last 3 months or so though. I'll let you know the results.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been a pretty heavy drinker, partier since high school. It was the mid-70s and was just the way it was. I was always pretty skinny - 5'9"/119 lbs HS graduation. I could drink most anyone under that table (not old alcoholics ...but most all of my friends and their friends anyway ...). I was an awesome drunk - loved to take speed and then plow away. I got energized, always a friendly drunk but not obnoxious, could still hold lucid conversations, etc. Alcohol has always been my social lubricant. Love how it makes me feel and love the social aspect of it.

A few years ago, every so often I noticed that I would get fall down drunk sometimes which never used to happen. It just would hit me out of nowhere - like when you first started doing tequila shots - all is good and then wham ...shovel to the side of the head.

Then I noticed I had more stomach problems and the trots more often. Well over the last 4-5 years things have continued to get worse. I have lost some social connections because of getting too hammered at parties, I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, and generally didn't feel nearly as well I should.

Golfing has been difficult, as I was having pain in my lower mid-back and under my front right ribcage. Was tested several times and told my liver enzymes were way up (have been high for a long time but at that point really high). I had an ultrasound Wednesday. Was diagnosed with a fatty liver. If things aren't significantly better, a liver biopsy is next.

Now no alcohol, almost zero carbs, etc for a while. Worst was last night - I thought I was having a heart attack - lots of pain just below my ribcage, just below the heart, painful bloat, chest tight, hard to breathe. Couldn't get comfortable in any position and just walked the house wondering if I should call 911 or try and drive to the hospital. My jaw was tightening a bit but didn't have that metallic taste in my mouth. Though I probably should have, I just hung through it till I past out around 6am this morning.

This scared the living hell out of me and may have finally woken me up to doing something serious about my health. I know the chances are pretty good that I am a functional alcoholic so this may be tough. I have to start walking, exercising, and eating right. Then on a social level - not drink - at least for the next few months. Ugh.

I had a blood test about 25 years ago right after a fishing trip with my buddies not even realizing WTF they were testing for. My liver enzymes were through the roof. My doctor thought I was having liver failure. Stupid me. She was seriously panicking. She told me to not drink for 30 days and to get tested again. That really sucked being in my 20's in the summer time and drinking O'Douls. Ran the numbers again and they were fine. Of course because of this incident I get blood drawn at least annually which isn't all bad since I love booze and I do like to monitor my health the best I can. As a matter of fact I'm having blood drawn this week.

You know from the GMTAN I exercise A LOT walking 4-8 miles a day depending on mow much time I have. I also watch what I eat. My experience over the last quarter century is that as long as you exercise and don't eat fatty food all the time, you'll be okay. I wait 7-10 days since my last drink and my liver enzymes come back perfect. If I do it less than 7 days, they are almost always elevated.

I talked to a couple doctors, colleagues of Mrs. SLB, about the fatty liver thing and both just smiled and kind of rolled their eyes. I was told that almost everybody has a fatty liver to one degree or another. Unless you are a really serious alcoholic, which I don't think you are, you're probably cool. Lose some weight though. ;)

ETA

Don't waste your money on supplements like milk thistle. I tried this and didn't notice any difference in numbers. I have been drinking green tea the last 3 months or so though. I'll let you know the results.
Thanks Bob - this does make me feel a little better about the situation. Definitely will be on the green tea deal as well. Starting the walking tomorrow!

ETA

Thanks Bob - this does make me feel a little better about the situation. Definitely will be on the green tea deal as well. Starting the walking tomorrow!
I dunno. It sounds like you are an alcoholic to me. This right here, " I have lost some social connections because of getting too hammered at parties" is a not good sign.

You might find that it's fun doing the social thing without the liquor. It's certainly a money-saver.

Good luck.

ETA

I dunno. It sounds like you are an alcoholic to me. This right here, " I have lost some social connections because of getting too hammered at parties" is a not good sign.

You might find that it's fun doing the social thing without the liquor. It's certainly a money-saver.

Good luck.
I certainly could be an alcoholic based on my want to continue drinking when I drink. Not always by any means, I do it because I am having a good time and want to keep the party going. The issue of getting too hammered came about just prior to knowing I was diabetic.

The challenge is that I can drink a lot and be fine one time and then drink quite a bit less another time and it hits me like a hammer. I don't keep drinking after that point because it hits me quick and I am stumbling. This is what has created the social problems - not that I am saying nasty/crazy things to people or other inappropriate behavior.

Binky The Doormat said:
My history is similar to yours, Bink. Before my gall bladder got diagnosed as a contaminated waste dump, I think the doctor thought I might have the same condition as you. My enzymes have always been a little high whenever I've had tests run, so that was a natural assumption given my symptoms.

Good luck, amigo.
Thanks UH! How did your doctor end up diagnosing the gall bladder - just more tests? How did he move off of the fatty liver and go there? I eat delicious foods and have always had kind of a fat tooth instead of a sweet tooth. Love bacon, gravy, sausage, sausage gravy, cheese and hard salami - the kind that are wrapping in paper and have lots of big white chunks of fat.
Her first instinct was fatty liver because previous blood work had shown a higher than normal enzyme level. It was one of those "watch what you eat and we'll keep an eye on it" things. So, when I went complaining about abdominal discomfort/pain a few weeks ago, I guess that was her default to start with. She ordered up more blood work, a CT scan, and an ultrasound. I believe it was the ultrasound that showed the stones and inflammation in my gall bladder, at which point we started working towards removal. My enzymes were still high this go-round, so I'm still supposed to watch my diet (doubly so, since I don't have a gall bladder anymore).

I did not pay attention previously to avoiding fatty foods. I'm doing a little better with it now, so next check up we'll see where my enzyme count is.

My drinking habit was the same as yours since high school. Beer only but every night for years. Like you all of my social interactions revolved around drinking. I'm 46. Two years ago after living with constant undiagnosed/untreated afib for a couple of years my heart was enlarged and I went into heart failure. Spent 10 days in the hospital. There was also enough concern with my liver, including very high iron counts in my blood, that I had a biopsy done. Thankfully results came back that there was no permanent damage (cirrhosis). Huge wake up call though. Didn't drink for 6 months, and with medication to get my heart rate under control I started running, a lot. I also went for phlebotomies (therapeutic removal of a pint of blood at a time) twice a month for threeonts to get the excess iron out of my blood, and am on a low iron diet.

Today I'm 30 lbs lighter, eat healthy, ran a marathon and training for another, never drink during the week and have no urge to. If I do it screws up my run the next day. Not worth it. On weekends if there's something going on I'll have a few, but not 12 like I used to. Never imagined I could be this type of drinker but it's easy for me now. The thought of giving it up altogether, which I was originally told I'd have to do, scared the crap out of me. Looking back and being honest wit myself there's no doubt I was an alcoholic. And I might be an exception to the thought that if you are one its either all or nothing, but it's working for me. Maybe you need to quit altogether but if you're not ready for that just cut it way the #### down, start exercising and see how that goes.

My drinking habit was the same as yours since high school. Beer only but every night for years. Like you all of my social interactions revolved around drinking. I'm 46. Two years ago after living with constant undiagnosed/untreated afib for a couple of years my heart was enlarged and I went into heart failure. Spent 10 days in the hospital. There was also enough concern with my liver, including very high iron counts in my blood, that I had a biopsy done. Thankfully results came back that there was no permanent damage (cirrhosis). Huge wake up call though. Didn't drink for 6 months, and with medication to get my heart rate under control I started running, a lot. I also went for phlebotomies (therapeutic removal of a pint of blood at a time) twice a month for threeonts to get the excess iron out of my blood, and am on a low iron diet.

Today I'm 30 lbs lighter, eat healthy, ran a marathon and training for another, never drink during the week and have no urge to. If I do it screws up my run the next day. Not worth it. On weekends if there's something going on I'll have a few, but not 12 like I used to. Never imagined I could be this type of drinker but it's easy for me now. The thought of giving it up altogether, which I was originally told I'd have to do, scared the crap out of me. Looking back and being honest wit myself there's no doubt I was an alcoholic. And I might be an exception to the thought that if you are one its either all or nothing, but it's working for me. Maybe you need to quit altogether but if you're not ready for that just cut it way the #### down, start exercising and see how that goes.
JFC, glad you are better GB.

Just came here to post, after walking 4 miles in the rain which gives you a lot of time to think, that exercise elevates your enzymes too. I stopped walking the day of when I give blood and both AST&ALT have dropped 4 points.

A few months back I woke up in the middle of the night with a crazy stomach pain, it felt like food poisoning and thought I'd just puke it out and things would be better. It never got better so I went to urgent care and they sent me to the ER where they ran some tests and showed crazy high levels with my liver enzymes. While i was at the hospital the pain just went away and I was fine, but the doctors in the ER were convinced I was a full blown alcoholic (I have 5-7 drinks a week, with the occasional harder friday/saturday). I luckily had a physical with a full blood panel just the week before, and while one of my enzymes was SLIGHTLY higher than normal it wasn't anything the doctor was worried about and just told me to get more exercise. I tried convincing the ER docs of this but they wouldn't listen. They did an ultrasound and did see the start of fatty liver.

Visiting my doctor after, he said it sounded like I had a gall stone that blocked the line from the liver to the stomach which caused some serious trauma to the liver. I had to do the no carbs/alcohol thing for a couple of months while being tested every other week. Each time the enzymes dropped dramatically now they are normal and I have a beer or two when I want. The liver seems pretty resilient, just have to give it a rest every once in a while. Exercise and adding a salad every now and then are your best friend for fatty liver according to my doctor. So I walk pretty regularly and eat quite a bit healthier, hopefully that's reflected when I get checked again.

That is awesome Nigel. I can only hope to do half as well as you. Marathons - holy ####.

ETA: When I posted I was thinking that others may have had something similar. I really appreciate people bringing their experiences here and it very cool to hear how well they are dealing with them.

CurlyNight said:
For you binge drinkers, here's a great article from one online medical journal on how it effects other organs just as much as the liver and how it is cumulative.

http://www.clinicalcorrelations.org/?p=5603
The government dumped nuclear waste in the creek that ran behind my parents house and I played in or around it just about every day as a kid. You seem to be the expert here, do you think if I stop drinking I'll be fine?

CurlyNight said:
For you binge drinkers, here's a great article from one online medical journal on how it effects other organs just as much as the liver and how it is cumulative.

The government dumped nuclear waste in the creek that ran behind my parents house and I played in or around it just about every day as a kid. You seem to be the expert here, do you think if I stop drinking I'll be fine?
Funny guy. I'm no expert,, not even in cancer. Just passing along things that I haven't read mentioned in this thread.

CurlyNight said:

Stop drinking and eat a lot of fresh fruits and vegetables. It will make a very big difference.

CurlyNight said:

Funny guy. I'm no expert,, not even in cancer. Just passing along things that I haven't read mentioned in this thread.
Except, unfortunately, I'm not joking.

However, BTD didn't post "I'm an alcoholic come here and lecture me!!" Particularly from somebody like you with the accusations made about running scams on people.

ETA

ALT 35

AST 19

ETA Just noticed my cholesterol went down from 200 to 184 too.

Updates?

I've Been having some mild pain in upper right abdomen for couple months, so two weeks ago I went in to Dr. She sent me for ultrasound thinking it might be Gallbladder, Gallbladder is ok but I got diagnosed with mildly enlarged fatty liver. I'm not what you call a heavy drinker ( a few on weekends and occasional beer with a meal during week) ,but I eat nothing but garbage. ALT was 56 AST 33, so not terrible numbers, but my triglycerides are pretty high. Have follow up with Dr tomorrow. I've changed my diet, Low fat, no red meat, no beer, only water and green tea to drink, eating more veggies, etc. Not going to lie this is scared me straight. Anyone have any updates with their fatty livers or suggestions for me on how to handle things going forward?

12 foods and drinks that you should eat for a fatty liver

Here are a few foods to include in your healthy liver diet:

1. Coffee to lower abnormal liver enzymes

Studies have shown that coffee drinkers with fatty liver disease have less liver damage than those who don’t drink this caffeinated beverage. Caffeine appears to lower the amount of abnormal liver enzymes of people at risk for liver diseases.

2. Greens to prevent fat buildup

Broccoli is shown to help prevent the buildup of fat in the liver in mice. Eating more greens, like spinach, Brussels sprouts, and kale, can also help with general weight loss. Try the Canadian Liver Foundation’s recipe for vegetarian chili, which lets you cut back on calories without sacrificing flavor.

3. Tofu to reduce fat buildup

A University of Illinois study on rats found that soy protein, which is contained in foods like tofu, may reduce fat buildup in the liver. Plus, tofu is low in fat and high in protein.

4. Fish for inflammation and fat levels

Fatty fish such as salmon, sardines, tuna, and trout are high in omega-3 fatty acids. Omega-3 fatty acids can help improve liver fat levels and bring down inflammation. Try this teriyaki halibut recipe, recommended by the Canadian Liver Foundation, that’s especially low in fat.

5. Oatmeal for energy

Carbohydrates from whole grains like oatmeal give your body energy. Their fiber content also fills you up, which can help you maintain your weight.

6. Walnuts to improve the liver

These nuts are high in omega-3 fatty acids. Research finds that people with fatty liver disease who eat walnuts have improved liver function tests.

7. Avocado to help protect the liver

Avocados are high in healthy fats, and research suggests they contain chemicals that might slow liver damage. They’re also rich in fiber, which can help with weight control. Try this refreshing avocado and mushroom salad from Fatty Liver Diet Review.

8. Milk and other low-fat dairy to protect from damage

Dairy is high in whey protein, which may protect the liver from further damage, according to a 2011 study in rats.

9. Sunflower seeds for antioxidants

These nutty-tasting seeds are high in vitamin E, an antioxidant that may protect the liver from further damage.

10. Olive oil for weight control

This healthy oil is high in omega-3 fatty acids. It’s healthier for cooking than margarine, butter, or shortening. Research finds that olive oil helps to lower liver enzyme levels and control weight. Try this liver-friendly take on a traditional Mexican dish from LiverSupport.com.

11. Garlic to help reduce body weight

This herb not only adds flavor to food, but experimental studies also show that garlic powder supplements may help reduce body weight and fat in people with fatty liver disease.

12. Green tea for less fat absorption

Data supports that green tea can help interfere with fat absorption, but the results aren’t conclusive yet. Researchers are studying whether green tea can reduce fat storage in the liver and improve liver function. But green tea also has many benefits, from lowering cholesterol to aiding with digestion.

Foods to avoid

6 foods to avoid if you have a fatty liver

There are definitely foods you should avoid or limit if you have fatty liver disease. These foods generally contribute to weight gain and increasing blood sugar.

Avoid

Alcohol. Alcohol is a major cause of fatty liver disease as well as other liver diseases.

Added sugar. Stay away from sugary foods such as candy, cookies, sodas, and fruit juices. High blood sugar increases the amount of fat buildup in the liver.

Fried foods. These are high in fat and calories.

Salt. Eating too much salt can make your body hold on to excess water. Limit sodium to less than 1,500 milligrams per day.

White bread, rice, and pasta. White usually means the flour is highly processed, which can raise your blood sugar more than whole grains due to a lack of fiber.

Red meat. Beef and deli meats are high in saturated fat.

That's great to hear, binky!

I've decided to give up alcohol. I drink nothing during the week, but 6 to 8 on a weekend night. More often if on vacation. I'm 45.

That said, during my retirement years if I'm sober (from alcohol), what's the verdict on Marijuana? Like, I think I'm gonna smoke the living bejesus out of that ####. Good idea? Bad idea?

Please take care of your liver boys and girls.  Really bad things can happen if your liver fails.  Example:  

My wife was diagnosed with Primary sclerosing cholangitis (PSC)  (think Walter Payton) in 2010 and had the left lobe removed then.  Not much happened until 2017 where due to the complication of cirrhosis, she developed Portal hypertension and Esophageal varices.  Varices are life threatening if they rupture, and my wife experienced two ruptures with what the doctor called "Impressive amount of blood loss... and you don't want a doctor using the word 'impressive' when talking about blood" in July.  Thankfully she was in the hospital when they occurred, or she would not have survived.  

Fun Fact:  When the hospital Chaplin comes to see you in the ICU waiting area, he's not just making the rounds... he's there to see YOU because your loved one isn't expected to survive.  I caught onto this the second time around.

Hey, fatty liver guys, scared yet?  Scared enough to take corrective action?  Keep reading, oh it gets better...

After the second varices rupture, the doctors performed a Transjugular intrahepatic portosystemic shunt (TIPS) procedure.  Basically this causes the blood to flow through the liver more easily, however the liver does not clean the toxins out of the blood which can (and did) lead to Hepatic encephalopathy (HE).  Read this one carefully boys.  You can develop HE even without going through what my wife has gone through.  Well, my wife was unlucky enough to skip grades 1, 2 and 3 of HE, and straight into Grade 4 (coma) for six days.  

The HE coma, led to her having seizures, >>> brain swelling >>> permanent brain damage >>> revision of the TIPS to lower the HE >>> more varices bleeding that the doctors feel lucky to stop (by the way, having to call your family to come to the hospital to say their goodbyes--twice--not an easy thing to do).  Basically she is dealing with amnesia and having to relearn just about everything.  Although she is getting better, it has been a bear.  Here's hoping for a liver transplant!  There's more, but I will stop here.

So, if you are having any sort of liver issue, I hope my little tale will scare you enough to take some positive actions to improve your health.

tltr/  Don't mess around with your liver, because the consequences of cirrhosis will F you up.

Just got diagnosed myself. Similar story to Binky, good stuff in here.

D-Day thanks for the vision into our future if we don't do something. Sorry about the wife, you'll have a prayer from me tonight.

Sitting in the hospital room waiting for the transplant operation in about 3 hours for my wife.  The reality of the situation is starting to sink in.  Again, take care of your livers.

Sitting in the hospital room waiting for the transplant operation in about 3 hours for my wife.  The reality of the situation is starting to sink in.  Again, take care of your livers.
Good luck with everything D-Day. I know it doesn’t help much but I mean it. 

Many people have fatty liver and don't know it because they don't keep up on routine lab work. It can lead to cirrhosis or even cancer. Sending prayers for a successful transplant and smooth recovery. Xxx

So sorry to hear about your wife.  I couldn't imagine.  Best of luck D-Day.  :(

I'm glad she has found a liver. Good luck to her with the transplant. I hope everything goes well.
Same as Simey here D-Day.  Though scary, it's great that she found a donor fit.  Please keep us updated.  T&Ps man.

Best to both of you. Hoping for a great outcome.

15 minutes before the time my wife was to go for prep, they called it off due to the doner liver being too big.  The wife is pretty devastated right now. The liver also tested positive for hep-c, but they didn’t seem too concerned with that.  Hopefully a better match comes soon.

Thanks for the T&Ps

15 minutes before the time my wife was to go for prep, they called it off due to the doner liver being too big.  The wife is pretty devastated right now. The liver also tested positive for hep-c, but they didn’t seem too concerned with that.  Hopefully a better match comes soon.
damn.

Thanks for the T&Ps
Crap.  So sorry to hear that.  I hope she finds another soon.

(The hep C is treatable these days.  That's why they weren't too concerned.)

And I see that's been covered.

Users who are viewing this thread