What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The next Arian Foster has arrived (Buy Rod Smith right now) (1 Viewer)

Shutout

Footballguy
His name is Rod Smith and he is going to make some noise down the stretch.

Next year, everyone will know who he is.

Smith doesn't "glide" like Foster, but he has very similar lateral moves and vision but he runs with more "lean and reach" physicality. That is something that, at it's best, reminds us of Adrian Peterson and, at its worse, reminds us of Chris Brown and opens players up for injuries and fumbles (an issue Smith has had).

The last time I saw a player that put me in this mindset was DeMarco Murray. It may be coincidence or it may be that the Cowboys see this too and it may or may not mean anything but this offensive line appears to be a great compliment for a player like Smith.

McFadden is doing his job right now and although he has a fair history of durability concerns, he may remain healthy and prevent Smith from getting much opportunity late this year. On the other hand, the Cowboys may fall out of contention and the Cowboys knowing DMAC's history, might decide to roll with the "other" guys in a few late games this season. Either way, in the list of three or four likely scenarios, more of them point towards Smith playing than not so it is worth the investment.

Smith is a player who had issues off the field in college and simply didn't have it all together. That was pretty much Foster's situation too and while it is not relevant to compare those two directly in that sense, it is worth noting that the Cowboys have kind of made a living recently taking troubled players with "issues" and getting the talent to shine through. When a lot of teams around the league write players off and won't touch them, the Cowboys have been a sanctuary for players like Collins, Hardy, Dez to a lesser degree, etc. There is something to be said about a knucklehead walking into a room of other former knuckleheads and troubled players and seeing first hand that it CAN work here IF you are committed.

My advice is to buy Rod Smith right now.

Last edited by a moderator:
does turbin change this at all? SMITH is available in all of my leagues but i just don't know if he is worthy of a roster spot over guys like rawls and coleman who I already have?

Thoughts?

does turbin change this at all? SMITH is available in all of my leagues but i just don't know if he is worthy of a roster spot over guys like rawls and coleman who I already have?

Thoughts?
With McFadden's history, a guy like Turbin could factor in, certainly, but he is a RB who does a lot of things solidly but is not spectacular anywhere. He's not overly impressive in short yardage (an area you might think at first glance is a great fit).

Overall, I think he lacks the dynamic component that Smith might bring to the table.

In short, I wouldn't let Turbin talk me off my box with Smith but given DMAC's injury history, I WOULD look to add Smith first and then entertain the idea of Turbin ALSO, if roster space permits.

I think I'll take my chances and wait to see how it all sorts out
I've met a lot of Ben Tate owners over the years who said that but to each their own. No judgments..I just think this is one of the most interesting things about dynasty football.

Ok shutout. Added him in my league where I'm relatively thin at RB. All aboard?....?.....?
Choo choo..... (keeping in mind this IS a dynasty driven thing...Even Foster had that flash at the tail end of the 1st year before truly emerging the following season) :)

Ok shutout. Added him in my league where I'm relatively thin at RB. All aboard?....?.....?
Choo choo..... (keeping in mind this IS a dynasty driven thing...Even Foster had that flash at the tail end of the 1st year before truly emerging the following season) :)
I'm in a 2 person keeper with ODB locked as one keeper, so hoping to get a killer RB locked up. Not many highlights on YouTube.... Any idea why he dropped out or left Ohio state?

Wouldn't be the first time the Shark Pool has been way ahead of the curve on a guy.

I'll hang up and listen.

Watched him all through college. He had plenty of chances and never made much of them. I'd be absolutely shocked if he even approached Foster territory.

Wouldn't be the first time the Shark Pool has been way ahead of the curve on a guy.

I'll hang up and listen.
Also wouldn't be the first time the shark pool made a prediction on a guy that never came close to panning out.

That said I know nothing about this guy so I find this intriguing. Anyone thinking he's ready for a more prominent role in Dallas as early as this season?

I'm in a 2 person keeper with ODB locked as one keeper, so hoping to get a killer RB locked up. Not many highlights on YouTube.... Any idea why he dropped out or left Ohio state?
Here's the interesting things about him and his path.

Missed a TON of time in practice due to academic eligibility...Yet quickly made up for it and was praised as being intelligent on the field and a mature, level headed guy on the field once he was let back on.

Had a TON of inconsistency and fumbling issues (killers in trying to get in a groove and get steady playing time)...Yet was heavily praised for his role on special teams and, in general, when he did play (and he was productive when played).

Was kicked off the team for a failed drug test.

So, the picture I'm trying to illustrate here is A)real issues with real warning flags. However, All these issues are things that are super prevalent in college but can be removed (academic eligibility) or corrected (ball security) at the NFL level. The drug test, of course, is a major flag but he's not the first or last player to go one direction or another after drug/alcohol issues in college. That's in his hands.

Overall, many reasons but also many indicators that suggest he's capable of overcoming/correcting.

I'll hang up and listen.
Also wouldn't be the first time the shark pool made a prediction on a guy that never came close to panning out.

That said I know nothing about this guy so I find this intriguing. Anyone thinking he's ready for a more prominent role in Dallas as early as this season?
I think situation of where the team is, as I mentioned, is the indicator, along with DMAC's health. My general expectation is the last 2-3 games of this year, we might be fortunate enough to see a steady day of work in each of those games (or 1-2 of them). This is opportunity + audition and, make no mistake, takes some patience. Any Foster owner will tell you they were tested, trying to remain convicted to hang onto him while all the world, rookie drafter lovers, and Rotoworld, etc spewed nothing except "they will draft a rookie, he's just a PS guy, Ben Tate will rush for 1200 in his rookie year". All the while, the Texans saw what they had and then said "we like this guy a bit". Takes some dedication in the face of naysayers to find these Fosters/Lewis, etc.

Watched him all through college. He had plenty of chances and never made much of them. I'd be absolutely shocked if he even approached Foster territory.

I'll hang up and listen.

Guy accomplished nothing in four years at Ohio State. Or since. He is a big back.

What else do we know about him besides he has a pulse?

I'll hang up and listen.

Guy accomplished nothing in four years at Ohio State. Or since. He is a big back.

What else do we know about him besides he has a pulse?
Nothing, it's a complete dice roll. If you have the space, stash him now, because if ROD blows up, you probably won't get him later.

I can't imagine he's a candidate for a keep-2 league. I mean ODB and Rod Smith - one of these thing is not like the other; one of these things just does not belong.

Mr. Football in Indiana in high school, highly rated national recruit. Recruited by Tressel, stuck through the change, poor fit for Urban's offense. He had the standard fumbling/stupid college kid trouble/etc stuff too, nothing drastic, but all of that together got him buried. I think he was dismissed for pot a couple of games into his senior year.

I can't imagine he's a candidate for a keep-2 league. I mean ODB and Rod Smith - one of these thing is not like the other; one of these things just does not belong.

Mr. Football in Indiana in high school, highly rated national recruit. Recruited by Tressel, stuck through the change, poor fit for Urban's offense. He had the standard fumbling/stupid college kid trouble/etc stuff too, nothing drastic, but all of that together got him buried. I think he was dismissed for pot a couple of games into his senior year.
Just looking for lightning in a bottle and that killer lotto ticket). Stashing AJAYI too. OurKeeper league is Settup so keepers who were drafted high cost you high draft picks next draft and guy off waivers only cost a 14th rounder in next draft. Enough about my team. He is listed as #2 in depth chart when I checked yesterday....

Maybe they will "take the reigns off" soon..... Lol. He def needs a dmac injury to be relevant, was he a decent ballcAtcher in college? Any other reasons you are so high on him shutout?

I'll hang up and listen.

Ah, the days of Wali Lundy and Ryan Torain had me thinking I would never lose a game

Just looking for lightning in a bottle and that killer lotto ticket). Stashing AJAYI too. OurKeeper league is Settup so keepers who were drafted high cost you high draft picks next draft and guy off waivers only cost a 14th rounder in next draft. Enough about my team. He is listed as #2 in depth chart when I checked yesterday....

Maybe they will "take the reigns off" soon..... Lol. He def needs a dmac injury to be relevant, was he a decent ballcAtcher in college? Any other reasons you are so high on him shutout?
Every once in a while (not often), I'll start a post about a particular player I think should be snatched up. It's always "value" driven from where I'm looking at and it's often a dynasty consideration. We have more than enough guys here that are great at giving us all the numbers and measureables. I don't dive too far into that. What I am usually looking at/studying are less tangible things and "human component" influences. For example, I was really high on Moreno a few years ago over Hillman and Ball because of what I thought was his best contribution to Manning in Manny-type offenses and what the Broncos needed (blocker/pass catcher, etc).

I posted a "buy now" on Dez Bryant after studying the Cowboys' use and a small study on Big 12 Wrs (crabtree/Dez/Blackmon) and how those players, at the college level, really never faced press coverage and it seemed to take a while for them to "get it". Those kinds of things.

For Smith, as far as attributes, I really like the vision and lateral movement. I think that fits perfectly with what that Cowboys line had in Murray and the physical running style fits for me.

As far as the other less tangible stuff, I like the opportunity considering the players they have, DMAC's history, the Cowboys' standing and how the season might play out. None of it is perfect but it seems MORE likely than less that the opportunity will be there down the stretch and that is often a great springboard for players at many positions to make a stake going forward.

Instead of the clickbait title, can Rod Smith's name be added to the title of the thread? Will make search a lot easier.

Great the thread police...

I'm in though. Dropped Darkwa. I always have a WR, RB and TE flier spot. Currently sitting on Waller (IR) and Pruitt. Was Orleans but now Smith.

Kruegs said:
Exactly. Watched every single game of his and he was mediocre at best. Will be totally shocked if he turns into something.

If only there was another thread created on this guy
There is but the first sentence of the thread literally mentions the words "Christine Michael" and "awesome" and that's not what a Rod Smith thread is about.
Lol I'm just busting your balls. Someone bumped the Keshawn Martin thread and then another made a whole new one and then the same with rod smith. I think it's funny. Everyone wants their own thread

Kruegs said:
Exactly. Watched every single game of his and he was mediocre at best. Will be totally shocked if he turns into something.
Not trying to pick a fight with either of you but if you go back and look at the Arian Foster threads from years ago or, heck, even the Devonta Freeman threads, the Jamaal Charles threads from way back when, etc, all you ever see in these threads at the start up are what you guys are saying. Just 4 months ago, Freeman was a "pedestrian talent", a "jag", etc. Charles was claimed by Rotoworld and a million thread posters to be a one trick pony, too small, etc.

Dion Lewis. Danny Woodhead. Tony Romo — all these guys always come with the "He's not great now and hasn't been blessed by [insert ff expert here] so there's a reason why he isn't any good" comments.

It is true that none of these guys were anything...until they were. I've posted my thoughts and a good part of it has to do with opportunity and things you can't measure at a combine. Just my opinion.

If only there was another thread created on this guy
There is but the first sentence of the thread literally mentions the words "Christine Michael" and "awesome" and that's not what a Rod Smith thread is about.
Lol I'm just busting your balls. Someone bumped the Keshawn Martin thread and then another made a whole new one and then the same with rod smith. I think it's funny. Everyone wants their own thread
Ohh, I know. Happens all the time. Honestly, I just made a separate one because I don't do these much and it's easier for me to go back and review the ones I create and to be perfectly honest, it seems like so many topics get 100 posts of people trying to be stand up comedians that I wanted to start a thread with ONE clear topic and not blend it in with everything happening with CMIKE, Joe Randle, the Cowboys, etc.

Without giving away his work, Matt Waldman had some nice things to say about Mr. Smith in the RSP.

The kid never had his head screwed on in college, but he's got some athletic upside. He was the 6th overall high school RB in the nation in 2010 according to Rivals.
Just copying over from the other Rod Smith thread... been on board here for a while as I never thought they trusted Michael, and now that's played out completely. Shutout is right, the opportunity is likely coming by the end of the season for Smith/Turbin/Williams or some combination thereof. I'm not necessarily hoping for a dynasty home run... I'd be thrilled with a solid 4-game RB2/3 through the playoffs, where I'm desperate for RB.

With opportunity though... sometimes you get the star.

Shutout said:
elshagon said:
I've met a lot of Ben Tate owners over the years who said that but to each their own. No judgments..I just think this is one of the most interesting things about dynasty football.
Wasn't Tate drafted during the offseason after Foster had already (somewhat) emerged at the end of his rookie season?

Note: the Seahawks cut Rod Smith after giving up Christine Michael.

Therefore, Smith is even better than Michael. And we all know how great Michael has turned out to be.

Kruegs said:
Not trying to pick a fight with either of you but if you go back and look at the Arian Foster threads from years ago or, heck, even the Devonta Freeman threads, the Jamaal Charles threads from way back when, etc, all you ever see in these threads at the start up are what you guys are saying. Just 4 months ago, Freeman was a "pedestrian talent", a "jag", etc. Charles was claimed by Rotoworld and a million thread posters to be a one trick pony, too small, etc.

Dion Lewis. Danny Woodhead. Tony Romo — all these guys always come with the "He's not great now and hasn't been blessed by [insert ff expert here] so there's a reason why he isn't any good" comments.

It is true that none of these guys were anything...until they were. I've posted my thoughts and a good part of it has to do with opportunity and things you can't measure at a combine. Just my opinion.
Those guys in college were light years more impressive than Rod. Not even a debate. He rushed for 500 yds in his entire collegiate career and more importantly than that, didn't even come close to passing the eye test.

Shutout said:
elshagon said:
Wasn't Tate drafted during the offseason after Foster had already (somewhat) emerged at the end of his rookie season?
Arian played those 2 games in 2009 and had a good game against what was then a pretty tough Miami Defense.

Tate was drafted in 2010 and everyone wanted to write Foster off. Tate got hurt and then everyone wanted to write him off "as soon as Tate was able to return".

Foster had a massive season and then Tate is healthy the next year (2011) and everyone wanted to say "hope you enjoyed your 15 minutes Arian", etc, saying Tate would take the job. He didn't.

I don't want to make this about Arian but he is a text book example of how people will fight against players coming from nowhere. He gets called "nothing special". He proves it. So then he gets called "a fluke" and people say "prove it by doing it again". He does. He basically proved all the non-believers wrong time and time again and then after a million FF points and a handful of top 5 finishes, he breaks down and people try to act like they were right all along.

So I only want to use Foster here to illustrate that I know it is tough to have the patience and conviction when you see a guy you believe in because nearly everything you read is going to be negative towards the guy actually on the team that the team says they like and positive about ANYBODY they sign, all the speculation of who will be drafted, any news of another player possibly getting in the way.

Note: the Seahawks cut Rod Smith after giving up Christine Michael.

Therefore, Smith is even better than Michael. And we all know how great Michael has turned out to be.
The Seahawks also activated Smith off their PS as the guy to be active for them when Lynch and FJAX were banged up and they intended to sign him back to the PS after they cut him when those guys got healthy, but then the Cowboys swept in and signed him away from the Seahawks.

Kruegs said:

Those guys in college were light years more impressive than Rod. Not even a debate. He rushed for 500 yds in his entire collegiate career and more importantly than that, didn't even come close to passing the eye test.
Everyone has their own opinion. Mine is that not every college player needs to have an awesome statistical number associated to them in college in order to make it in the NFL.

The very first post after I posted my reasons to buy Dez Bryant (which had very little to do with any numbers) was "He's garbage. Get over over it." Okay, so I saw something different than the other guy. I have Dez Bryant on most of my FF teams and am happy with my decision. Maybe he is too.

Kruegs said:
Not trying to pick a fight with either of you but if you go back and look at the Arian Foster threads from years ago or, heck, even the Devonta Freeman threads, the Jamaal Charles threads from way back when, etc, all you ever see in these threads at the start up are what you guys are saying. Just 4 months ago, Freeman was a "pedestrian talent", a "jag", etc. Charles was claimed by Rotoworld and a million thread posters to be a one trick pony, too small, etc. Dion Lewis. Danny Woodhead. Tony Romo all these guys always come with the "He's not great now and hasn't been blessed by [insert ff expert here] so there's a reason why he isn't any good" comments.

Right and Charles was drafted in the top of the 3rd round, Freeman the top of the 4th. While Foster wasn't drafted, he was the all time leading rusher in Tenn when he left. I don't really have an ax to grind on Smith either way. I've picked him up in leagues, weeks ago actually. The situations aren't linear, they never are. We can always point to a few isolated incidents and say this is what is possible. The bottom line is the path Smith will ultimately take to success (if he gets there) is a rare one.

I went back to try and find some video from his tOSU days and there is very little. There was a very nice 40 or so yd TD run. Other than that, it's bare.

Maybe opportunity presents itself for him if McFadden goes down. Backing into starting roles isn't usually a promising predictor, though.

Kruegs said:
Not trying to pick a fight with either of you but if you go back and look at the Arian Foster threads from years ago or, heck, even the Devonta Freeman threads, the Jamaal Charles threads from way back when, etc, all you ever see in these threads at the start up are what you guys are saying. Just 4 months ago, Freeman was a "pedestrian talent", a "jag", etc. Charles was claimed by Rotoworld and a million thread posters to be a one trick pony, too small, etc. Dion Lewis. Danny Woodhead. Tony Romo all these guys always come with the "He's not great now and hasn't been blessed by [insert ff expert here] so there's a reason why he isn't any good" comments.

Right and Charles was drafted in the top of the 3rd round, Freeman the top of the 4th. While Foster wasn't drafted, he was the all time leading rusher in Tenn when he left.I don't really have an ax to grind on Smith either way. I've picked him up in leagues, weeks ago actually. The situations aren't linear, they never are. We can always point to a few isolated incidents and say this is what is possible. The bottom line is the path Smith will ultimately take to success (if he gets there) is a rare one.

I went back to try and find some video from his tOSU days and there is very little. There was a very nice 40 or so yd TD run. Other than that, it's bare.

Maybe opportunity presents itself for him if McFadden goes down. Backing into starting roles isn't usually a promising predictor, though.
In hindsight, it was probably a poor decision to mention Arian Foster in the thread or content. It begs for a direct comparison and he has always been a hot topic.

The scenario in terms of opportunity are what I wanted to draw upon but I've muddled it. We can lock the thread, delete it, whatever.

Picked him up on a whim this week, so I'll keep an eye on this thread.

Going on record that "he'll never produce more than 50 yards in a game, and will be out of the league within three years" just so I can come back when this thread is on page 374 and say "I told you so!"

Picked him up on a whim this week, so I'll keep an eye on this thread.

Going on record that "he'll never produce more than 50 yards in a game, and will be out of the league within three years" just so I can come back when this thread is on page 374 and say "I told you so!"
Lol. If this gets to 374 pages, I'll look forward to hearing from you and everything that has transpired between now and then.

I definitely don't think the thread should be locked. It's solid content mostly. Maybe merged....

His name is Rod Smith and he is going to make some noise down the stretch.

Next year, everyone will know who he is.

Smith doesn't "glide" like Foster, but he has very similar lateral moves and vision but he runs with more "lean and reach" physicality. That is something that, at it's best, reminds us of Adrian Peterson and, at its worse, reminds us of Chris Brown and opens players up for injuries and fumbles (an issue Smith has had).

The last time I saw a player that put me in this mindset was DeMarco Murray. It may be coincidence or it may be that the Cowboys see this too and it may or may not mean anything but this offensive line appears to be a great compliment for a player like Smith.

McFadden is doing his job right now and although he has a fair history of durability concerns, he may remain healthy and prevent Smith from getting much opportunity late this year. On the other hand, the Cowboys may fall out of contention and the Cowboys knowing DMAC's history, might decide to roll with the "other" guys in a few late games this season. Either way, in the list of three or four likely scenarios, more of them point towards Smith playing than not so it is worth the investment.

Smith is a player who had issues off the field in college and simply didn't have it all together. That was pretty much Foster's situation too and while it is not relevant to compare those two directly in that sense, it is worth noting that the Cowboys have kind of made a living recently taking troubled players with "issues" and getting the talent to shine through. When a lot of teams around the league write players off and won't touch them, the Cowboys have been a sanctuary for players like Collins, Hardy, Dez to a lesser degree, etc. There is something to be said about a knucklehead walking into a room of other former knuckleheads and troubled players and seeing first hand that it CAN work here IF you are committed.

My advice is to buy Rod Smith right now.
(Sorry, intended to simply edit a couple items to my earlier post but decided to delete since I did add a little info)

No doubt there is a premium especially in dynasty leagues in identifying and rostering talent ahead of your leaguemates.

Let me first confess that while I have had some success rostering players like Arian Foster and Dion Lewis while their prices were low, I have carried far more duds on my roster along the way.

There are only a rare few players who ever make that type of ascension from seemingly nowhere. For every 'Terry Allen', 'Priest Homes', 'Arian Foster', 'Dion Lewis', 'CJ Anderson', 'Chris Ivory' and 'Joique Bell', there are dozens of hopefuls who never amount to much. You have to be willing to miss (a lot) and know when to get off the bus and convert that roster spot into someone with more promise, even at the risk of giving up too early.

In addition to athletic skill and opportunity, I generally look for reports on a player's character issues and practice habits, as those are important traits in maintaining success.

So, why not Rod Smith? First, let me specify that I have found precious little written about Rod Smith and even less game film, so it is extremely difficult to assess Smith’s abilities as a potential feature back. Rod Smith is largely an unknown. He has a mixed pedigree. He was a four-star prospect coming out of high school and recruited to a big time program at Ohio State, but the last time he had any sustained success was during his high school career. He did have some preseason success in Seattle and he possesses the size to be a bruising back.

Smith reportedly suffered from inconsistency and ball security issues at Ohio State and was eventually kicked off the team for a failed drug test. While I don't view those issues as something which will necessarily prevent Smith from success, they are certainly strikes against him in the grand analysis. Smith is reportedly coachable, and I have yet to hear any bad reports on Rod Smith as a teammate, and given that the Cowboys just kept Smith in favor of C-Mike for supposed locker room issues, I am inclined to think there are no real concerns in that area.

While Rod Smith could emerge, I am highly doubtful that the future at RB for the Dallas Cowboys is presently on their roster. Nevertheless, I am not against burning a roster spot on the off chance Smith develops as something more than mere RB depth.

With Turbin, I think we know what we have. Turbin could emerge as the primary reserve behind DMac, and he could even excel, but he is not likely more than a stopgap. Don't read me wrong, stopgaps can and do win championships, so I am not dismissing any potential value Turbin may have. However, if you are looking for that swing-for-the-fences type of player who also possesses some potential stopgap value, Rod Smith could fit the bill. He is presently listed as the primary reserve behind the oft-injured McFadden, whom the Cowboys seem intent on running into the ground. Opportunity is merely one leg in the analysis of finding a breakout star, but without that opportunity, the remaining legs never even get examined.

While I will stop far short of tagging Smith as the next “Arian Foster”, because I simply have seen nothing to suggest he has anywhere near that type of talent, I do agree with Shutout that Rod Smith is a player worth stashing at the end of your roster now, while he can be had for pennies. In the event of a McFadden injury, the waiver wires will be burning up with bids for the next man up, and right now that man is Rod Smith.

Mcfadden game log

2014 16 games

2013 10 games

2012 12 games

2011 7 games

2010 13 games

2009 12 games

2008 13 games

Predictation:

Mcfadden tweaks something in the next 2 games. If you have a spot. stash now.

Users who are viewing this thread