What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Expanse - Syfy Show (1 Viewer)

Sand

Footballguy
Wanted to start something up here on this. I've read the books and they're (IMO) the best space opera I've ever read. The show is the biggest budget show SyFy has taken on, so production values should be pretty high. Hopefully a good combination. Definitely putting this on my watch list - the source material is so good I'm excited to see what they do with it.

Trailer 1

Trailer 2

First episode pre-released onto Youtube here. Great start to a series; production values are very high. Definitely not your typical SyFy show. More in the league of Firefly when it started up - you knew it was going to be something pretty cool.

Looking forward to this season. Instant watch list material.

I've almost bought Leviathan Wakes about five times from the book store near me, but always end up with something else. Guess it's time to start that series.

watched the first 2 episodes, and I gotta say I kinda like it. there may be something a little off, but you can usually find that kind of thing in cable sci-fi shows where their scope outkicks their budget. but it's still pretty good. and the ending of the first episode was pretty shocking, and great.

I've read all the books so far. I think they do some things very well and other things not so well. I must like them well enough to have read five of them. The show, from the two eps I've seen, does the stuff that books also do well. It economically sets up the tensions between Earth, Mars, and the Belt. It takes the science behind proposed space travel seriously. Like any show where I've read the book, the casting feels off to me.

Thomas Jane is younger and more vital than I pictured Miller. The guy playing Amos is way younger and less scary that he's described in the book. Holden is apparently age appropriate (early 30s) but still looks like a very 90210 take on the character (who I realize starts Leviathan Wakes as a bit of a playboy, but still).

I've read all the books so far. I think they do some things very well and other things not so well. I must like them well enough to have read five of them. The show, from the two eps I've seen, does the stuff that books also do well. It economically sets up the tensions between Earth, Mars, and the Belt. It takes the science behind proposed space travel seriously. Like any show where I've read the book, the casting feels off to me.

Thomas Jane is younger and more vital than I pictured Miller. The guy playing Amos is way younger and less scary that he's described in the book. Holden is apparently age appropriate (early 30s) but still looks like a very 90210 take on the character (who I realize starts Leviathan Wakes as a bit of a playboy, but still).
Miller and Amos - completely agree. Holden is fine. Naomi is pretty miscast as she should be a fairly tall, lanky somewhat Asian girl. Not seeing the current character as being right. Casting of Chrisjen is dead on, though.

saw episode 1

i will keep watching, but meh
They're jumping around too much introducing the story - I'ts pretty involved (and awesome). I'm hoping when they get into the narrative it'll slow down and show much better.

Last edited by a moderator:
Episode 3 and 4 are much better than the first 2. The pace has slowed a bit and they are getting into the meat of the story. Really getting good at this point.

I'm through the first 4 as well and I think it's gotten much better. Still not sold on Thomas Jane though.
I like what they've done here, to be honest. I'll be interested to see how he carries on later. Still don't like the choice for Naomi. Other than that I think they've done pretty well.

I taped the first two episodes in case it piqued my interest and I wanted to continue watcing the series and record the next episodes (not familiar with the source material). Still haven't watched them, but will on the strength of the reviews here, and set the VCR to record the next two.

Couple interviews from Space.com

The original writers and creators of the story seem to have a fair level of "hands on" involvement with the production, not always (rarely?) the case.

http://www.space.com/31435-scifi-series-tv-epic-expanse-interview.html

On the science and tech featured in the show.

http://www.space.com/31437-the-expanse-crazy-sci-fi-tech.html

Nearly through the first episode. I think this series has legs.

Awesome CGI (superior to many feature films).

Impressively imagined and realized world and future. It feels plausible and lived in (in a way the best sci fi does).

another pretty decent episode last night. I think the one thing we've learned is don't get too attached to any characters...

Watched all the episodes the last couple of days. I like it alot. Now I need to decide if I should jump into the books or hold off so I don't ruin any surprises.

EP 5 is good. The series has slowed down without becoming "slow".
A good thing. It will speed back up. There will be some serious #### that goes down. They've alluded to it, though unless you read the books you likely didn't realize it.

Watched all the episodes the last couple of days. I like it alot. Now I need to decide if I should jump into the books or hold off so I don't ruin any surprises.
I've written about this set of books in the book thread. Best space opera that I've ever read. I am fully enjoying this despite knowing what's going on. Obviously up to you, but as with most stories the books will go a lot deeper.

I don't know if it got renewed, but it was a very good show.  More sci-fi and complexity than most of their other stuff.

edit:. It looks like it was renewed.

Season 2 is early 2017.  Yes, still going.  Eagerly awaiting this and The Magicians.

Just discovered this one, watched 1st episode.  Season 2 starts Feb 1, apparently.

Almost done with the first book, only watched 2 episodes of season 1 so far.  Speaking in terms of the books only, and this is coming from a conservative Mormon, Holden is a dooshy hypocrite that is near unreadable for how he acts.  Tell me this changes, because it is supremely annoying.

2nd Season first episode is out and the show is not slowing down. Good mix of all the
different conflicts going on. 

All caught up.  Very much like it, but don't love it...yet.  Biggest hinderance to me is some of the acting.Not bad, but not great....but then again, they haven't really given them (aside from Tom Jane) any real "moments" to shine in. 

The second book, Caliban's War, is much more enjoyable since Holden isn't the whiny ##### he was in the first one.  About half done with that.  Need to catch up on the show.

I have not read the books.

Probably one of the better shows I watch that nobody talks about and I don't have any friends that watch it.  I'd put The Leftovers in that group too, which starts up again soon.

I crack up every time Dawes says "Earther".  

I can't believe they did Miller like that, but something is still telling me we're maybe not done with him.

Haven't read the books.

I like the show - but don't love it and am not yet recommending it to others. I think it is because (and I am sure this is much more fleshed out/interesting in the books) the political factions and interaction feel a little forced/shallow and same (though not to the same extent) with the characters.

I binge-watched the 1st season on Amazon and have been watching S2.  Not yet caught up, but am really liking this show.  I've never watched a show on SyFy, but the production value in this show is surprisingly good.  There are moments where the acting is cheesy, but that is to be expected and it's easy to overlook.  

I really like all the little Sci-Fa aspects (presumably) of the show....like the effect of Earths gravity on Martians/Belters.  Those little nuggets are neat. 

Still talking books, but the 2nd really is better prose-wise than the 1st.  A lot of telegraphed storyline, but very enjoyable.

FreeBaGeL said:
I'll answer my own question.  I thought season 1 was just OK but I'm about 3/4 of the way through season 2 and it is really, really, really good.
It's nice that they let it grow instead of having it on a short leash.  

Love this show.  Also recommend The Churn podcast which recaps episodes with actors, show crew, and James SA Corey.  Was fun to follow along the cancellation and Amazon pickup drama on the podcast. 

Users who are viewing this thread