What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Need a tequila suggestion for a gift (1 Viewer)

acarey50

Footballguy
So, I was lucky enough to be invited via a friend of a friend to a game where I was given a courtside seat. Very good seats, and the seat owner also covered dinner expenses, etc. (It was a business arrangement for my friend, I got invited as a favor to him)

Throughout the evening I noticed he was drinking mostly margaritas and we talked a bit about how he enjoyed a good margarita and infusing tequila - we had a jalapeno infused margarita last night that was really good.

As I did not have to pay anything for this seat (I had to insist to even let him allow me to cover a round of drinks), I would like to get the guy a bottle of tequila as a token of appreciation. Even though last night was the first time I have met him, and I don't know if I will get another opportunity, I'd like to get this for him to help make sure the door may be open for future times.

I want to do something obviously nicer than Cuervo, etc., but nothing exorbitant, especially if it is likely to be used for margaritas.

So, any suggestions on a decent bottle that would fit this purpose that I can likely find at my local BevMo or Total Wine?

Herradura. I prefer Anejo but many margarita drinkers prefer Silver. Hopefully you noticed his preference.
Herradura Silver is my favorite. Would also consider Milagro as a gift, partially because it's an attractive bottle if he has a home bar.

I'd go check out https://www.caskers.com/and sign up. One of the owners is a FBG and plugged the site here a few times, I've gotten quite a few gifts for clients from them since the selections are handpicked and some quite unique.

Sauza Hornitos Reposado is the best I have tried for purposes of margaritas. Others are better for straight tequila, obviously, but it goes really well in a margarita.

the easy and safe route is to get a bottle of don julio.

If he's drinking margaritas instead of drinking it straight, I wouldn't get too crazy.

Sparkle Donkey

Not recommending it, just letting you know there is a tequila out there named that. You could get that for yourself if you want. Actually not bad, and with a name like that, who wouldn't want to put some of that in their mouth?

I like the Don Julio recommendation though.

Also, if you want to get him something to drink straight, I prefer Añejo's since they have more aging. If he expressed specific interests in Blanco's or reposado's, go by those queues.

the easy and safe route is to get a bottle of don julio.

If he's drinking margaritas instead of drinking it straight, I wouldn't get too crazy.
Don Julio or Cabo Wabo is the answer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Herradura. I prefer Anejo but many margarita drinkers prefer Silver. Hopefully you noticed his preference.
Herradura Silver is my favorite. Would also consider Milagro as a gift, partially because it's an attractive bottle if he has a home bar.
He definitely had Silver in the round I bought.

Thanks for all the great input guys, leaning to the Don Julio or Herradurra - I was thinking something in the $50-70 range and it seems like these would fit the bill.

He definitely had Silver in the round I bought.

Thanks for all the great input guys, leaning to the Don Julio or Herradurra - I was thinking something in the $50-70 range and it seems like these would fit the bill.
:lol: Saw the FB post with your mug. Nice. Hurradurra Silver is awesome.

Ole. Not only is it incredibly cheap, but every time a bunch of you do a shot, you slam the glasses down and yell "OLE!" in unison. It's way more fun than you'd think.

Waking up the next morning in a pool of your own vomit in the bushes in your next door neighbor's side yard is optional. Or is it?

I have a, um, friend who is lazy and just buys Jose Cuervo. My, um, friend often uses it for sipping.

How would you describe the difference between, say, Anejo and JC? How big is the gap?

I have a, um, friend who is lazy and just buys Jose Cuervo. My, um, friend often uses it for sipping.

How would you describe the difference between, say, Anejo and JC? How big is the gap?
Anejo isn't a brand, it's a style or varietal of tequila. Silver or blanco tequila is basically tequila right out of the distillery. Reposado is aged, I'm not sure how much, I want to say 6-12 months. It's no longer clear and has a little smoky character. Anejo is aged further, again I'm not sure how long but I want to say 18 months or more. It's darker and more complex and is typically sipped rather than used as a mixer, more like a good scotch.

I'd go check out https://www.caskers.com/and sign up. One of the owners is a FBG and plugged the site here a few times, I've gotten quite a few gifts for clients from them since the selections are handpicked and some quite unique.
Who's the owner? i use caskers all the time.
Post 58. https://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index.php?/topic/645383-caskerscom-kind-of-like-woot-for-booze/page-2
Cool! Username makes sense...

acarey50, on 20 Nov 2015 - 3:30 PM, said:So, I was lucky enough to be invited via a friend of a friend to a game where I was given a courtside seat. Very good seats, and the seat owner also covered dinner expenses, etc. (It was a business arrangement for my friend, I got invited as a favor to him)

Throughout the evening I noticed he was drinking mostly margaritas and we talked a bit about how he enjoyed a good margarita and infusing tequila - we had a jalapeno infused margarita last night that was really good.

As I did not have to pay anything for this seat (I had to insist to even let him allow me to cover a round of drinks), I would like to get the guy a bottle of tequila as a token of appreciation. Even though last night was the first time I have met him, and I don't know if I will get another opportunity, I'd like to get this for him to help make sure the door may be open for future times.

I want to do something obviously nicer than Cuervo, etc., but nothing exorbitant, especially if it is likely to be used for margaritas.

So, any suggestions on a decent bottle that would fit this purpose that I can likely find at my local BevMo or Total Wine?
If he is mixing it in a sugar laden margarita it really does not matter what kind of tequila.

Espolon and Cazadores are really great suggestions. Don Julio is the safe suggestion but will be appreciated. Mexican Moonshine is a winner if Kutta will ship it to you. Not readily available outside a few States.

kah, day of the dead tequilla.

Kah Blanco Tequila

Kah Day of the Dead Tequila Blanco Kah "Day of the Dead" Tequila Blanco KAH Tequila Blanco contains intense sweet notes of the cooked agave, followed by a spicy white peppery punch. It is silky and delicate, leaving a sachet of spices on the palate. The KAH Tequila Blanco bottle was inspired by traditional Calaveras (skulls made from sugar) which are used in Day of the Dead rituals to symbolize death and rebirth. Sugar skulls are given to family still living and they are invited to "eat their own death", to acknowledge the belief that death is nothing but the passing from this life into the next. Bolivians celebrate their version of the Day of the Dead by keeping the skulls of their loved ones, calling it the "Day of the Skulls". These decaying heads are brought out each year on November 8th and taken to the cemetery where Bolivians feed them, give them cigarettes and Tequila. Keeping and entertaining the skulls of their deceased is seen as a way for the dead to be immortalized. They believe the skulls of their ancestors protect the living by warding off evil spirits.

if it's a gift the bottle alone is worth it, tequills yummy too.

Thoughts on these? Or other bottles I should look for? Assume $150 limit for 750ml.

Tequila El Amo Añejo, 100% de agave

Hacienda San Gabriel Grand

Bésame Mucho Reposado

El Gran Jurado (blanco or añejo)

Cantinero Reposado en Barricas 100% agave

Xicote reposado

Centeraro reposado

Antigua Cruz 3 bottle gift set -- blanco, reposado & añejo

$35 for 750ml of Don Julio Reposado and $30 for blanco.

1800 Añejo is $40.

Cuervo Reserva de la Familia extra Añejo is $180. Looks like a limited edition with handwritten bottle numbers.

Herradurra is $50 for 950ml and $60 for blanco.

No idea how these prices to compare to US. 

$35 for 750ml of Don Julio Reposado and $30 for blanco.

1800 Añejo is $40.

Cuervo Reserva de la Familia extra Añejo is $180. Looks like a limited edition with handwritten bottle numbers.

Herradurra is $50 for 950ml and $60 for blanco.

No idea how these prices to compare to US. 
If that's US dollars, it's a lot cheaper then my place for Don Julio. Not sure on the Herradura.

Users who are viewing this thread