What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

MOVE TURKEY TO FRIDGE! MOVE TURKEY TO FRIDGE! (1 Viewer)

Go to Whole Foods on Wednesday and buy a fresh one. And some Soprasada. Can't forget that.

Can you brine a frozen turkey after it defrosts? I usually cook frozen. I tried fresh once and it came out kind of dry. I was thinking of trying brining this year but I have a frozen turkey (defrosting now)

Anyone have any opinions on Capigoal on your antipast? I may just leave it out this year and get extra Soprasada. Maybe a little more provolone too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can you brine a frozen turkey after it defrosts? I usually cook frozen. I tried fresh once and it came out kind of dry. I was thinking of trying brining this year but I have a frozen turkey (defrosting now)
yes, just check to make sure your solution it was frozen in is 8% Sodium or less. If not then I would not suggest brining

Are you guys certain on the overbrining? My recollection of Alton Brown's Good Eats episode where he brines a turkey is that he said that brining creates an equilibrium of the saltiness and water content in the turkey and in the solution. So you shouldn't be able to create meat that is overly salty unless your brining solution has too much salt to start with.

I place mine in a cooler in the garage on Saturday before. The garage is cool, and the cooler insulating. Come Thursday morning th eturkey is nearly thawed, but there are still hard portions and ice crystals inside the cavity.

Brining, not so much for me. Most birds come already injected with brine. on those occasions when I get an organic bird, or I shoot one myself I will brine, 8 hours, around a 4% salt solution , the solution to include some sugars, usually apple juice, but water and sugar are fine.

I like to stat the bird in the oven for the first hour or two. I find I get better skin texture if I start the bird at 325 degrees. I then move to the smoker. when I start in the smoker the skin comes out rubbery. Generally I smoke it for around 4 hours uncovered. I then tent it with foil and go another two or three hours. I find if I don't tent it that the bird takes on an unattractive hue my wife does not appreciate for her Thanksgiving table. the skin becomes nearly black. Tenting makes for more of a classic golden brown roasted color she wants.

I start my smoker with hickory and switch to apple wood around half way through. If it were just for me I would use hickory and mesquite, but others prefer if just somewhat less smoky.

I place mine in a cooler in the garage on Saturday before. The garage is cool, and the cooler insulating. Come Thursday morning th eturkey is nearly thawed, but there are still hard portions and ice crystals inside the cavity.

Brining, not so much for me. Most birds come already injected with brine. on those occasions when I get an organic bird, or I shoot one myself I will brine, 8 hours, around a 4% salt solution , the solution to include some sugars, usually apple juice, but water and sugar are fine.

I like to stat the bird in the oven for the first hour or two. I find I get better skin texture if I start the bird at 325 degrees. I then move to the smoker. when I start in the smoker the skin comes out rubbery. Generally I smoke it for around 4 hours uncovered. I then tent it with foil and go another two or three hours. I find if I don't tent it that the bird takes on an unattractive hue my wife does not appreciate for her Thanksgiving table. the skin becomes nearly black. Tenting makes for more of a classic golden brown roasted color she wants.

I start my smoker with hickory and switch to apple wood around half way through. If it were just for me I would use hickory and mesquite, but others prefer if just somewhat less smoky.
7 hour cook for a turkey, what are you cooking?? Godzilla Turkey

Can I eat turkey at your house DW?
Sure. We eat around 4:00. We may adjust that timing around the Packer game a bit. We will be watching the game, drinking single malt, and consuming seconds on everything during the game. Guests must be willing to take a cab home. No drunk driving when I over serve the booze. As host I pay for the cab.

17 pound bird, more or less. While that would be a long time to roast and unstuffed bird in the oven it is really minimal for smoking it. Generally it would come out undercooked in that time were it not for the oven start, and the fact that during the last hour or so I try to bring the smoker up from 225 degree to around 250 or a smidge higher.

I have never had one overcooked or dry. I have had one undercooked at that process. I believe thee undercooked one may have been still partially frozen. No worries on that one. A simple temperature reading, a quick pop in the convection oven at 400 for 45 minutes and it was good to go.

Last edited by a moderator:

17 pound bird, more or less. While that would be a long time to roast and unstuffed bird in the oven it is really minimal for smoking it. Generally it would come out undercooked in that time were it not for the oven start, and the fact that during the last hour or so I try to bring the smoker up from 225 degree to around 250 or a smidge higher.
Umm no, 7 hours for a 17 LB bird is way toooo long.

It takes around 3.5- 4 hours to reach an internal of 145-150 (white)165-170(dark) at a temp range of 225-250.

Either you are cooking at a way too low temp, anything less than 200 is not recomended for poultry, or the lenght of time has to do with moving it from the oven to the smoker, perhaps the bird cools a bit but I can't see it cooling enough for an additional 3 hours of smoking especially after it has an hour of oven heat on it.

BTW, if you want a crispy skin on your smoked turkey dry brine for 3 days and then smoke

It takes around 3.5- 4 hours to reach an internal of 145-150 (white)165-170(dark) at a temp range of 225-250.

Either you are cooking at a way too low temp, anything less than 200 is not recomended for poultry, or the lenght of time has to do with moving it from the oven to the smoker, perhaps the bird cools a bit but I can't see it cooling enough for an additional 3 hours of smoking especially after it has an hour of oven heat on it.

BTW, if you want a crispy skin on your smoked turkey dry brine for 3 days and then smoke
Nevermind DW, I'm punch drunk right now, and got chicken on the brain. I guess at 225 7 hours is understandble for that size a bird.

To help with the color of the bird you can always cover with cheese cloth for the begining of your smoke

Nevermind DW, I'm punch drunk right now, and got chicken on the brain. I guess at 225 7 hours is understandble for that size a bird.

To help with the color of the bird you can always cover with cheese cloth for the begining of your smoke
I've heard that about cheese cloth but have never tried it. I am going to pass on trying it for this meal as I like the certainty of my routine, but I smoke a turkey four or five other times a year, because, smoked turkey, and will try the suggestion. As for dry brining, I've never done that on poultry. It sounds interesting. Again, I won't experiment on a meal I am feeding others,, but will give it a try when I do one just for me and my family.

I place mine in a cooler in the garage on Saturday before.
This. My fridge isn't big enough for all the stuff we usually cook. This year we're frying one and roasting one, so definitely not enough room. We just put it in a cooler. Brings the temp up nice and slow so it's ready on T-day.

I've heard that about cheese cloth but have never tried it. I am going to pass on trying it for this meal as I like the certainty of my routine, but I smoke a turkey four or five other times a year, because, smoked turkey, and will try the suggestion. As for dry brining, I've never done that on poultry. It sounds interesting. Again, I won't experiment on a meal I am feeding others,, but will give it a try when I do one just for me and my family.
Want to experiment try the below, labor intensive but well worth it

http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1701&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=turkey

http://www.thesmokering.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1701&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=turkey
Damn! That looks good.

Damn! That looks good.
My family forces me to cook it each Thanksgiving and Christmas and that's on top of the 7 bone prime rib I have to do at Christmas, labor of love

Bought a fresh turkey on Saturday.   Making it Friday just for the family (going to my brothers on Thursday, but this Friday turkey will assure maximum leftovers)

Bought a fresh turkey on Saturday.   Making it Friday just for the family (going to my brothers on Thursday, but this Friday turkey will assure maximum leftovers)
Yeah, we ordered a fresh turkey from a local meat market. Never frozen, and no additives or preservatives. Pick it up tomorrow, dry brine it on Wednesday night all ready for delicious goodness on Thursday.  :headbang:

Users who are viewing this thread