What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Spencer Ware, possibly the new work horse (2 Viewers)

Ladsud

Footballguy
Two TDs, 100 total yards in less than a half of football. History shows this offence feeds the ball to one RB. Im all in.

Last edited by a moderator:
Spencer Ware rushed 11 times for 96 yards and two touchdowns and caught his only target for five yards in the Chiefs' Week 11 win over the Chargers.
Charcandrick West left with a hamstring injury early in the third quarter, opening the door for power-back Ware to see his first extended action of the season. He didn’t disappoint. Ware’s garbage time escapades included a pair of goal-line touchdowns and a magnificent 52-yard run. The severity of West’s injury remains unclear but if he has to miss time, Ware would probably flirt with RB1 status at the most injury-riddled position in fantasy. He deserves to be a popular pickup on waivers this week.

I have top WW pick this week so it's either Ware or Allen. Gotta read up a bit before Wednesday. See how injured Charc is.

Allen is a mediocre running back who is going to be asked to lead the team. I don't like his chances without Smith or Flacco

"Power back Ware" looked quite a bit quicker than West out there - I think Charc's hammy was bothering him a bit more than we thought. I added Ware a couple weeks ago in a 32-team dynasty, pretty happy I did.

"Power back Ware" looked quite a bit quicker than West out there - I think Charc's hammy was bothering him a bit more than we thought. I added Ware a couple weeks ago in a 32-team dynasty, pretty happy I did.
I've been doing the same in my 16-teamer... only I've been rotating my last bench spot on my handcuff from the early games with an upside RB from the late games because I'm really thin at the position. Hit the jackpot on Ware yesterday...

I've liked him for a while though - Waldman was a big, big fan: http://mattwaldmanrsp.com/2013/02/10/no-huddle-series-lsu-rb-spencer-ware/

As a Charles owner who did not have West, I did do my homework and got Ware when he was still on the PS. I admit, I knew nothing of the guy and fell into it but it does seem like any of these guys who go are going to have FF value.

Allen is on a dead team. THe Ravens' season is lost. I think it is more of a crap shoot.

JFS171 said:
bud29 said:
I've been doing the same in my 16-teamer... only I've been rotating my last bench spot on my handcuff from the early games with an upside RB from the late games because I'm really thin at the position. Hit the jackpot on Ware yesterday...

I've liked him for a while though - Waldman was a big, big fan: http://mattwaldmanrsp.com/2013/02/10/no-huddle-series-lsu-rb-spencer-ware/
Check out the stiff arm in the gif. Takes out Weddle like he's shooing away a fly.

----------------------

https://twitter.com/RealMNchiefsfan/status/668687306652385281

.Arrowhead Pride Retweeted

Seth Keysor ‏@RealMNchiefsfan 10h10 hours ago
Just shrugs off Eric Weddle while delivering SHARP stiff arm to another secondary player. Not fun to tackle.

----------------------------------------

Nice article just posted:

http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2015/11/23/9781540/spencer-ware-fantasy-charcandrick-west-kansas-city-chiefs-running-back

Spencer Ware is the Kansas City Chiefs latest surprise at running back​

...Any time you have 96 yards on 11 carries you did something right. But it wasn't so much the yards which Ware gained as much as it was the WAY he gained those yards. In a word, impressively.

First of all, it's REALLY obvious that Ware possesses a great deal of power. The man is 5'10 and weighs 230 pounds. He's basically built like Anthony Sherman but just a tad lighter. Look at his Twitter profile picture. He's like a smaller version of Allen Bailey. That's not going to be a fun guy to bring down.

.Arrowhead Pride@ArrowheadPride 18h18 hours ago

Running Back U. Now Chiefs have Spencer Ware popping off for 52 yards

.Sigmund Bloom@SigmundBloom 18h18 hours ago

Sigmund Bloom Retweeted Arrowhead Pride

When a @MattWaldman RSP favorite rises out of obscurity, an angel gets its wings

-----------------------------------------------------------------

.Terez A. Paylor@TerezPaylor 18h18 hours ago

Charcandrick West has a hamstring injury. His return is questionable.

.Sigmund Bloom@SigmundBloom 17h17 hours ago

Sigmund Bloom Retweeted Terez A. Paylor

Ware making a case for more work either way

-------------------------------------------------------------

.Brian @fhbrian

@ArrowheadPride So for FF, pickup Ware or Davis? And what r chances Thomas finally plays RB?

.Arrowhead Pride@ArrowheadPride 1h1 hour ago

Arrowhead Pride Retweeted Brian

We will see how Charcandrick does this week

Walking Boot said:
Shutout said:
As a Charles owner who did not have West, I did do my homework and got Ware when he was still on the PS. I admit, I knew nothing of the guy and fell into it but it does seem like any of these guys who go are going to have FF value.

Allen is on a dead team. THe Ravens' season is lost. I think it is more of a crap shoot.
You did your homework but still knew nothing of the guy?
In regards to WHO to pick up. There was speculation they would sign a number of guys but what I was reading from sources close to KC said they would likely call up Ware from the PS. That's what I meant. Yes, otherwise, I knew nothing of him. Its a gift to me at this point if he translates to anything.

Any word out of Kansas City on the severity of West's hamstring issue and if it's likely to cost him any starts?

Any word out of Kansas City on the severity of West's hamstring issue and if it's likely to cost him any starts?
Head coach Andy Reid on the RBs seems to have said that RB Charcandrick West is having an MRI but that RB Knile Davis will be leaned on but QB Alex Smith seems to think RB Spencer Ware is the lead back.

----------------------

http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2015/11/24/9790526/arrowheadlines-kansas-city-chiefs-news-11-24?utm_campaign=arrowheadpride&utm_content=chorus&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

Chiefs' Andy Reid comfortable with current RB depth from Chiefs Digest

While the Chiefs could be stretched thin at the running back position if West were to miss time, Reid didn't sound concerned over depth during a Monday afternoon conference call.

"We have trust in Knile," Reid said. "So, we've got Knile right there, too."

And it is early enough in the week where the Chiefs can evaluate West's status heading into Week 12.

"We'll see with Charcandrick," Reid said. "I'm not counting him out at all, so we'll just see how it works out today. They're doing the MRIs and all those things that they do now.

We'll find out here in a little bit where we're at."

Spencer Ware steps in with a big game at running back from ESPN

"He doesn't blink,'' quarterback Alex Smith said. "The guy works extremely hard all week. You knew he was going to be ready. You knew he was going to know his stuff.''

Ware was impressive in training camp but couldn't find a roster spot in a crowded Chiefs backfield. He began the season on the practice squad, then was elevated to the active roster when Jamaal Charles was lost for the season with a torn ACL.

Ware again impressed the Chiefs enough in practice that he passed Knile Davis and became the top backup to West. Ware scored a touchdown in a recent win over Detroit.

I openly said when Charles went down that I hoped West would be the guy to benefit because, for no other reason, I wanted to reward a guy that was a good success story and I was already tired of Knile Davis owners in my leagues yakking and trying to act like Knile Davis' value was Adrian Peterson-esque.

Now, I openly will say I hope West takes this job and literally runs with it because it is AWESOME to see a guy that comes all the way through the ranks of a teams' practice squad to stick with it and then produce big time when he gets his chance. Its great for him, it speaks great of the real life organization and how they identify and develop talent, and ultimately it will be good for FF because if all these guys do good, you know 1 or 2 of them won't be on the CHiefs next year so it gives us more good RBs to speculate over.

Head coach Andy Reid on the RBs seems to have said that RB Charcandrick West is having an MRI but that RB Knile Davis will be leaned on but QB Alex Smith seems to think RB Spencer Ware is the lead n over Detroit.
I don't think we can get that from any of the articles. Reid seems to be giving praise to Knile, but hard to see how he wouldn't roll with Ware if West is indeed out.

Just another talented LSU skill player.

I'm surprised there isn't more chatter. West with the hamstring, gets the MRI, then 'day to day'. Ok that's the status, you're going to wait all week for practice reports.

Just keep in mind:

1. It was against the Chargers, the worst run defense in the NFL.

2. The Chargers defense quit in the second half.

Just saying.

Just keep in mind:

Just saying.
1. Same defense that West could only manage to get 16 yards on with 11 carries.2. Lamest excuse ever. These guys are playing for their jobs. I could twist it and say Ware gained all those yards with a lead and the defense knowing they were going to run, making it even more impressive.

Just keep in mind:

Just saying.
1. Same defense that West could only manage to get 16 yards on with 11 carries.2. Lamest excuse ever. These guys are playing for their jobs. I could twist it and say Ware gained all those yards with a lead and the defense knowing they were going to run, making it even more impressive.
He's a Charger fan.

Just keep in mind:

Just saying.
He's a Charger fan.
oh. Nevermind then. He must have insider info where the defenders admitted they weren't trying. My badI hope he tells us exactly when they quit. They were rendering West useless. Did they quit after Ware's 5th carry or was it as soon as West went out? Or just maybe, Ware took the fight out of them.

So what happens now??? I think both West and Ware look terrific. But West with a hammy issue makes me thinik Ware is going to be the guy for the rest of the year. But to own him I would need to cut West. So people. Who do we like better???

West is day to day and you want to cut him for another back that had one good half? If you can only have one, it's gotta be West at this point.

Just keep in mind:

Just saying.
He's a Charger fan.
You can't argue with Junior. "West was rendered useless!!" 60 total yards in the first half. Useless!!!!

Just keep in mind:

Just saying.
He's a Charger fan.
You can't argue with Junior. "West was rendered useless!!" 60 total yards in the first half. Useless!!!!
Read the quotes, son. He said the Charger were the leagues worst RUN defense. Pretty sure the 40+ yard reception is irrelevant. I simply said that West could only manage 16 yards on 11 carries against the worst run defense in the league. Was I wrong?

Just keep in mind:

Just saying.
He's a Charger fan.
Read the quotes, son. He said the Charger were the leagues worst RUN defense. Pretty sure the 40+ yard reception is irrelevant. I simply said that West could only manage 16 yards on 11 carries against the worst run defense in the league. Was I wrong?
Wasn't West injured? West was the starter for a reason and Ware did a fantastic job holding it down for a game but that was the chargers after all. I grabbed Ware in a few leagues and will be glad if I can just get 1 start out of him. I don't think he is taking over the job, I think west has already proven himself....

Just keep in mind:

Just saying.
He's a Charger fan.
Wasn't West injured? West was the starter for a reason and Ware did a fantastic job holding it down for a game but that was the chargers after all. I grabbed Ware in a few leagues and will be glad if I can just get 1 start out of him. I don't think he is taking over the job, I think west has already proven himself....
I think if West is 100%, that the job is still his. He's played well enough to not lose it because of one game. I agree.

Just keep in mind:

Just saying.
He's a Charger fan.
If he was and still is not 100% and the Chiefs are playing for the playoffs and they have seen Ware be effective, I think the logical thought would be rest West until he is 100% and let Ware and Davis play.

Just keep in mind:

Just saying.
He's a Charger fan.
I think if West is 100%, that the job is still his. He's played well enough to not lose it because of one game. I agree.
That makes sense but we have to realize this Reid. He is cautious with injuries and it was just last year Davis looked good when Charles was out btu for some reason Davis wasn't even a consideration this time around.

The real-life dynamics of this may be in play, too. If West is not 100%, why not run Ware (who showed his effectiveness)? He is the healthier player, the Chiefs may want West down the stretch to make the playoffs (and in the playoffs), it is nothing but good things for everyone involved if Ware performs well because it rests West, it rewards a player who came up through the ranks from the PS (sends a very positive message to the players about working hard and being rewarded), it looks good on the coaches and GM in identifying and developing talented. These types of scenarios are touching a lot more than just our desire to have a rb1 or 2 for a few weeks. This is about how the teams run, their effectiveness, MONEY in the future, etc.

oh. Nevermind then. He must have insider info where the defenders admitted they weren't trying. My badI hope he tells us exactly when they quit. They were rendering West useless. Did they quit after Ware's 5th carry or was it as soon as West went out? Or just maybe, Ware took the fight out of them.
You've really turned into quite an insufferable poster, but I'll respond to you anyway in a show of good faith. Some one that follows a team may offer some insight into his team that others miss (homers usually wath their team play and not just RedZone), and also I was just trying to show you that he wasn't being a biased West owner (necessarily) and was offering his view as a Charger fan.

West went into the game with a balky hamstring from what I understand, but even if he was 100% healthy during those 11 carries, surely you've watched football long enough to see a RB get bottled up early before breaking into a rhythm or even have just seen game flow change and teams regress back to what they are?

Surely you've also seen teams that are having down seasons and starting to get blown out "quit" during a game or at least have a huge let down during the second half? That's not saying every single player stopped trying at all - but it's surely happened 1000s of times. In fact your Eagles looked pretty defeated in the second half of that Tamp Bay game and I witnessed my own Jets team quit in the second half of their game in San Diego last season where Brandon Oliver ran all over them. It happens.

No matter what side one is on in the West/Ware debate, Sunday should be very telling. Going up against a tough Bills defense. I think we'll see whether Ware's 2nd half last week was merely against a demoralized defense, or truly an indication of his ability. Best case scenario for West owners is that Ware struggles.

You've really turned into quite an insufferable poster, but I'll respond to you anyway in a show of good faith. Some one that follows a team may offer some insight into his team that others miss (homers usually wath their team play and not just RedZone), and also I was just trying to show you that he wasn't being a biased West owner (necessarily) and was offering his view as a Charger fan.

West went into the game with a balky hamstring from what I understand, but even if he was 100% healthy during those 11 carries, surely you've watched football long enough to see a RB get bottled up early before breaking into a rhythm or even have just seen game flow change and teams regress back to what they are?

Surely you've also seen teams that are having down seasons and starting to get blown out "quit" during a game or at least have a huge let down during the second half? That's not saying every single player stopped trying at all - but it's surely happened 1000s of times. In fact your Eagles looked pretty defeated in the second half of that Tamp Bay game and I witnessed my own Jets team quit in the second half of their game in San Diego last season where Brandon Oliver ran all over them. It happens.
West looked fine on his long reception. He was the most owned running back in DFS last week. I didn't know he was injured going into the game. If the guy (sorry, I don't remember who it was) was just giving his opinion as a Charger's fan, I apologize. It was about the tenth time I've heard the excuse that Ware only did well because the defense didn't care. I get it. I've owned players and watched their replacements look great and went into denial. I've been there too. But for anyone to suggest that Ware didn't look great last week is just lying to themselves. Maybe it was because he was the freshest player on the field. I don't know. And no one is suggesting that he's beaten out West. But I think it's obvious that Reid has no reason the rush West back from the hamstring when Ware is more than capable. I don't own West and missed out on getting Ware on waivers last night. So I have no dog in this fight. If West sits out another game, I'll be interested to see how Ware looks against a Bills team with everything to play for.

I openly said when Charles went down that I hoped West would be the guy to benefit because, for no other reason, I wanted to reward a guy that was a good success story and I was already tired of Knile Davis owners in my leagues yakking and trying to act like Knile Davis' value was Adrian Peterson-esque.

Now, I openly will say I hope West takes this job and literally runs with it because it is AWESOME to see a guy that comes all the way through the ranks of a teams' practice squad to stick with it and then produce big time when he gets his chance. Its great for him, it speaks great of the real life organization and how they identify and develop talent, and ultimately it will be good for FF because if all these guys do good, you know 1 or 2 of them won't be on the CHiefs next year so it gives us more good RBs to speculate over.
He likes to drink and drive.....not sure if you know that about him. Not sure thats a success story.

Unbiased opinion ... I don't own any of them

If West is healthy it's clearly his job ...

Reid made it perfectly clear as soon as Charles went down that there was no competition for the job and West has done nothing but look great.

People assuming that Ware is going to come in and be the man might be in for a rude awaking ...

Knile Davis has had some pretty good games of his own backing up Charles and Reid clearly trusts him.

“We have trust in Knile,” Reid said. “So, we’ve got Knile right there, too.”

Don't know why Davis was inactive but very possible it was a special teams decision.

A real bummer of a time for Charc to get himself injured. Other than Baltimore, the schedule ahead looks beautiful for the playoffs.

Get well soon Charc!

West looked fine on his long reception. He was the most owned running back in DFS last week. I didn't know he was injured going into the game. If the guy (sorry, I don't remember who it was) was just giving his opinion as a Charger's fan, I apologize. It was about the tenth time I've heard the excuse that Ware only did well because the defense didn't care. I get it. I've owned players and watched their replacements look great and went into denial. I've been there too. But for anyone to suggest that Ware didn't look great last week is just lying to themselves. Maybe it was because he was the freshest player on the field. I don't know. And no one is suggesting that he's beaten out West. But I think it's obvious that Reid has no reason the rush West back from the hamstring when Ware is more than capable. I don't own West and missed out on getting Ware on waivers last night. So I have no dog in this fight. If West sits out another game, I'll be interested to see how Ware looks against a Bills team with everything to play for.
1. I am a Chargers fan. I was at the game Sunday. The Chargers played the worst game I have ever witnessed in any sport in person, and that is a large sample size.

2. I am in 4 leagues and don't own any KC RBs. I don't play DFS.

3. The Chargers run defense is horrible. They are #31 in ypc allowed (New Orleans), #31 in rush TDs allowed (Detroit), and have allowed the most 20+ yard runs.

With all of that out of the way, look at Ware's performance in the game Sunday.

1. Ware got his first touch with 7:52 remaining in the 3Q, with KC leading 12-3. During his first 2 drives, he had 14 yards on 4 carries, plus 1 catch for 5 yards. Both drives stalled, and KC punted.

2. By the time KC began its next drive with 9:50 remaining in the 4Q, it was 19-3 thanks to a Rivers pick 6, and San Diego had just punted for the 7th time, with only a 52 yard FG to show for its 9 possessions (not counting the kneel down at the end of the first half). Everyone in the stadium knew the game was over.

3. On the first play of that drive, Ware ran for 52 yards. I turned to my brother in the stands after that play and said I thought the team had quit; not every player, but enough of them. Quit on the rest of the game and quit on Mike McCoy (this happened before the KC game, though). Ware added 3 more carries for 6 yards and a TD on that drive, making it 26-3.

4. San Diego turned the ball over on downs at its own 24 on the next possession, giving KC the ball with 4:13 remaining. Ware ran for 20 yards on the first play, then added 2 more carries for 4 yards and a TD.

What it comes down to is the following: Ware had 2 carries for 72 yards against a bad run defense that knew it was playing out a game that was already decided. A run defense that leads the league in number of 20+ yard runs allowed. And he ran for 2 short TDs against a run defense that is #31 in rushing TDs allowed. Otherwise, he was pedestrian.

I'm not big on throwing out the big plays. Ware and his teammates made those plays, and the Chargers defense didn't. But my first post was intended to be a shorthand way of providing context. I seriously doubt his success in the Chargers game will carry over to any other games going forward.

There's no bias in this thread. Surprised the thread title isn't "Spencer Ware, new HOF Chiefs RB."
I dont make threads based on hyperbole. Possibly is in the title due to the tricky nature of hamstring injuries and we have no idea of the severity of Wests, work horse is based on Reid's history of feeding a single back the ball.

I think ware might find things a bit tougher against the bills, just a hunch....
So would West though. Bills' defense is for real. I own both but don't really like the matchup regardless.
Bills seem to be tougher against the bigger back like blount. I agree, the Bills D is tough against the run tho...
Ware is 230+ lbs
Exactly so I don't really think he would run that well against a stout buffalo line. Blount doesn't seem to do well against them....

1. I am a Chargers fan. I was at the game Sunday. The Chargers played the worst game I have ever witnessed in any sport in person, and that is a large sample size.

2. I am in 4 leagues and don't own any KC RBs. I don't play DFS.

3. The Chargers run defense is horrible. They are #31 in ypc allowed (New Orleans), #31 in rush TDs allowed (Detroit), and have allowed the most 20+ yard runs.

With all of that out of the way, look at Ware's performance in the game Sunday.

1. Ware got his first touch with 7:52 remaining in the 3Q, with KC leading 12-3. During his first 2 drives, he had 14 yards on 4 carries, plus 1 catch for 5 yards. Both drives stalled, and KC punted.

2. By the time KC began its next drive with 9:50 remaining in the 4Q, it was 19-3 thanks to a Rivers pick 6, and San Diego had just punted for the 7th time, with only a 52 yard FG to show for its 9 possessions (not counting the kneel down at the end of the first half). Everyone in the stadium knew the game was over.

3. On the first play of that drive, Ware ran for 52 yards. I turned to my brother in the stands after that play and said I thought the team had quit; not every player, but enough of them. Quit on the rest of the game and quit on Mike McCoy (this happened before the KC game, though). Ware added 3 more carries for 6 yards and a TD on that drive, making it 26-3.

4. San Diego turned the ball over on downs at its own 24 on the next possession, giving KC the ball with 4:13 remaining. Ware ran for 20 yards on the first play, then added 2 more carries for 4 yards and a TD.

What it comes down to is the following: Ware had 2 carries for 72 yards against a bad run defense that knew it was playing out a game that was already decided. A run defense that leads the league in number of 20+ yard runs allowed. And he ran for 2 short TDs against a run defense that is #31 in rushing TDs allowed. Otherwise, he was pedestrian.

I'm not big on throwing out the big plays. Ware and his teammates made those plays, and the Chargers defense didn't. But my first post was intended to be a shorthand way of providing context. I seriously doubt his success in the Chargers game will carry over to any other games going forward.
I realize that. Someone let me in on the fact that you were a Chargers fan and not a West owner. I apologize for being snarky.

Unbiased opinion ... I don't own any of them

If West is healthy it's clearly his job ...

Reid made it perfectly clear as soon as Charles went down that there was no competition for the job and West has done nothing but look great.

People assuming that Ware is going to come in and be the man might be in for a rude awaking ...

Knile Davis has had some pretty good games of his own backing up Charles and Reid clearly trusts him.

“We have trust in Knile,” Reid said. “So, we’ve got Knile right there, too.”

Don't know why Davis was inactive but very possible it was a special teams decision.
I had Ware pegged as the handcuff several weeks ago due to my belief that Davis is simply a terrible RB but this is a valid point. Although Davis did see some S/T work when active earlier in the year (usually played on some minuscule number of S/T snaps) I think it's clear, judging by S/T usage that KC believe Ware to be more valuable in that department. Still, the numbers don't lie, Davis was one of the most inefficient and ineffective RBs on his touches in 2014. He was passed up on the depth chart for that reason IMO.

A few weeks ago on one of the FBG podcasts, Waldman or maybe it was Dr Jene (sorry I'm bad with voice recognition) was pimping Spencer Ware hard and saying he was a good prospect going back to his college days. This was about the time of Jamaal's injury. Said to keep a watch on Ware, but not to pick him up yet. I decided to pick him up as a West owner last week but dumped him due to having to pick up somebody last minute to cover Lynch's abdominal injury. Now I have $0 left to pick up Ware and rubbing a rabbit's foot that West will be ok. FML this fantasy season.

Users who are viewing this thread