What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Spencer Ware, possibly the new work horse (4 Viewers)

I see a 60/40 split IF West returns fully healthy.... dragging both players down to mid-level RB2 territory.
So why weren't they splitting like that as soon as Charles went down?

The Cheifs don't have any recent RBBC history to support that speculation.

I see a 60/40 split IF West returns fully healthy.... dragging both players down to mid-level RB2 territory.

Just a thought, but maybe because Ware hadn't shown the skillset that he has shown the last couple weeks.

Let's not pretend that West has been the entrenched stud starter... he just got the keys a few weeks back then pretty promptly got hurt. I'd suggest taking a look at the Forte situation (came back to a 50/50 split with Langford) for a good example of what I'm expecting.

One could even pretty easily argue that Ware has looked significantly better:

West: 3.8ypc - 1TD every 33 carries

Ware: 6.5ypc - 1TD every 9 carries

The only area West has excelled is in the passing game, clearly earning him 3rd down duty when back.

In these situations it's best to separate ownership and emotion and look at the numbers. Anyone expecting them to throw Ware on the bench, and make West the bellcow again are far more optimistic than I would be. That ship has sailed. The only way this backfield holds STABLE RB1 or even high end RB2 value going forward is while West stays down.

After that... break out the dice. I'd say Ware gets GL duty, West gets 3rd Down duty... and share from there on out. If they go with a hot hand approach, I expect Ware to pull away from West a bit.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chiefs got to see Ware in actual NFL game action. Many guys sit low on the depth chart until injury forces them into action. Priest Holmes is a great example. Backup in Baltimore for a couple of years. Mike Anderson in Denver. It happens.

Unfortunately, I see it the same. Two good backs rendered useless. So much like Forte/Langford in Chicago.
Yep. Im lucky enough to own both West/Ware on one team and Forte/Langford on another

:mellow:

These situations are often where playoff dreams go to die.

[icon] said:
JuniorNB said:
[icon] said:
Unfortunately, I see it the same. Two good backs rendered useless. So much like Forte/Langford in Chicago.
Yep. Im lucky enough to own both West/Ware on one team and Forte/Langford on another

:mellow:

These situations are often where playoff dreams go to die.
Yeah, unfortunately, you almost have to hang onto them because if someone tweaks a hammy or twists an ankle, you hit gold.

Let drama really begin!

Charcandrick West (hamstring) is practicing in full Wednesday.
West missed practice all last week before being inactive against the Bills. The full practice is a good sign for West's chances of returning Week 13 against the Raiders, but he'll have to avoid setbacks. With Spencer Ware performing admirably in West's absence, the two could form a 1-2 punch moving forward.

Its West.
I own Ware, so I am pre-reporting my bias.

But I think there's almost no chance that West is a bellcow. This looks like a full-blown committee. Given how terrible the RB situation has been for most owners, I think both players will still be strong flex starts.

Chiefs impressed with Ware's ability to handle heavy workload

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- The Kansas City Chiefs have been watchingSpencer Ware on their practice field since they began offseason work in the spring, so they had some idea of what they would be getting when they installed him as their starting running back last week.

But they didn’t know everything they needed to know about Ware, who was forced into the starting lineup for the game against the Buffalo Billsbecause of injuries to Jamaal Charles and then Charcandrick West.

The Chiefs gave Ware a large amount of work, the likes of which he hadn’t experienced in his brief NFL career and had only handled a few times during his three collegiate seasons at LSU. Ware was in for 53 of the Chiefs’ 62 offensive snaps and got the ball 22 times, 19 on rushing attempts and three on pass receptions.

The Chiefs liked what they found. Ware rushed for a career-high 114 yards, which includes his time at LSU. His best day there came against Florida in 2011, when he ran for 109 yards.

Ware had more than 19 carries in just five of the 35 games he played at LSU.

"Maybe the endurance part of it," coach Andy Reid said regarding what the Chiefs learned about Ware. "He hadn’t played a lot of snaps and then he comes in and puts together a pretty healthy game, as far as number of carries and plays for you. If there was a surprise, maybe that was it."

The Chiefs weren’t surprised by Ware’s violent running style. He dished out punishment to defenders at LSU and during training camp and again during the second half of the previous week’s game against San Diego when he replaced the injured West.

Ware averaged 6.5 yards after contact against the Chargers and 3.1 yards after he was first hit against the Bills. Those are the two highest totals by a Chiefs running back this season.

"We felt from his college time that he was a hard runner," Reid said. "We saw that in the preseason and during camp.

"You got the feeling that’s the way he would be. He was the same way in college. He was a physical runner. He’s going to bring it to you every snap. He’s going to give you that kind of an effort."

Its West.
Based on what you want? Frankly, nobody here knows how they are going to handle this. The first determining factor will be exactly how healthy West is. Assuming they feel comfortable that he can go with confidence I think it then becomes a crap shoot and we just don't know how they will handle it.

Its West.
Based on what you want? Frankly, nobody here knows how they are going to handle this. The first determining factor will be exactly how healthy West is. Assuming they feel comfortable that he can go with confidence I think it then becomes a crap shoot and we just don't know how they will handle it.
I own both Ware and West.

Its based upon how I see NFL teams (in this case KC with Reid) run their depth charts and players.

Its not just West and Ware, but also the team and its philosophy.

Do you allow West (with team 2 years and having earned the #2 spot) get relegated after missing 2 games when they were winning with him in the line up?

This has an effect on the other players and continuity and consistency.

Now if West shows to perform subpar, they start losing with poor run game results or cant maintain being 100% healthy, then I can see him losing his #2 position.

Until then... Its West.

One thing I really like in regards to Ware, is that Ware has been hailed as the best pass blocking RB on roster (Charles, Davis, West) but not surprising as he was seen as part fullback.

That can change things because that is something he has already earned in his short time with team. And it can be damn important if the team has pass blocking issues arise.

Doesnt make any real difference to me.

Ware looks amazing and the numbers back up the tape. He's a monster.
The tape shows he's a one dimensional straight ahead bruiser. No more, no less. Not saying that's bad but he's no ADP.
Yeah I see more. His balance is incredible. He's always got his feet under him. He also has great short area quickness. You're right though.....he will absolutely truck defenders as well.

The only thing making me less excited about Ware is the fact he has one of the best RB of all time in front of him.

Its West.
I own both Ware and West.

Its based upon how I see NFL teams (in this case KC with Reid) run their depth charts and players.

Its not just West and Ware, but also the team and its philosophy.

Do you allow West (with team 2 years and having earned the #2 spot) get relegated after missing 2 games when they were winning with him in the line up?

This has an effect on the other players and continuity and consistency.

Now if West shows to perform subpar, they start losing with poor run game results or cant maintain being 100% healthy, then I can see him losing his #2 position.

Until then... Its West.

One thing I really like in regards to Ware, is that Ware has been hailed as the best pass blocking RB on roster (Charles, Davis, West) but not surprising as he was seen as part fullback.

That can change things because that is something he has already earned in his short time with team. And it can be damn important if the team has pass blocking issues arise.

Doesnt make any real difference to me.
Better response. My only point was just saying it's West doesn't really indicate if you have information or a matter of opinion. It's a matter of opinion.

I generally agree with your thinking. Assuming both are ready to play I would tend to think West would get the start and if he is looking good he would handle most of the work. If he struggles I don't think KC will be shy about giving Ware carries and they will probably roll with the hot hand if there is one. That would be my opinion on how it will play out.

Do we know that Ware can't catch or are we just assuming it because of his limited opportunities?
He had three catches for one yard last week. He's not as quick as West. West is more like Langford in Chicago. He can catch a swing or screen pass, make the first man miss, then find space with his speed. Ware has good hands, but he would need to be in space to begin with. Once he got moving, he's a nightmare to tackle. So it's not a hands issue with Ware. They'd need to get him into space. The way the Redskins have with Matt Jones a few times in the passing game.

I picked up Ware and started him this past week, and I dropped him and added DeVante Parker this week.

The tape shows he's a one dimensional straight ahead bruiser. No more, no less. Not saying that's bad but he's no ADP.
And neither is anyone else. Your point?
My point is he's one dimensional... just like I said in the very post you quoted. Are you back to being combative with everyone again?
That's an oversimplification. No one's claiming that Ware is Jamaal Charles. But Matt Waldman knows a lot more than I do about football, and he is high on Ware's skills:

No-Huddle Series: LSU RB Spencer Ware

My point is he's one dimensional... just like I said in the very post you quoted. Are you back to being combative with everyone again?
Why is he one dimensional? Back up our point. Have you actually watched him play? He shown great speed for a big man. And hard to bring down.

Why is he one dimensional? Back up our point. Have you actually watched him play? He shown great speed for a big man. And hard to bring down.
The book on him is he's a straight-ahead banger with no wiggle.

That's an article, not a book.

I posed the same link.

I don't think Waldman would be this high on Ware if Ware was simply a mediocre one-dimensional RB.

That's an article, not a book.
Oh crap. Now I have to go find a book on him. lol

Jamal Lewis was a big straight ahead back with no wiggle. And a 2000 yard rushing season. A big man who can really move can be quite the weapon. As can the little shifty scat back. There is no specific requirements. You can either run or you can't. Even though I haven't heard anyone with knowledge say that Ware is a one dimension, straight ahead runner with no wiggle. That sounds like something someone who couldn't get him off of waivers made up.

http://www.fieldgulls.com/nfl-draft/2013/4/27/4276012/nfl-draft-results-seahawks-select-rb-spencer-ware-in-the-6th

Look at the other scouting reports aside from Waldman.

Riddle: Ware is an extremely hard runner with strong leg drive. He's incredibly tough and was willing to put his head down and run over SEC linebackers. For a bigger back, Ware hits the hole fast while always running north-to-south. He's a one-cut runner with good vision, balance and will run through arm-tackles like they're wet noodles.

Stephens: Ware is a simple one-cut runner who does the majority of his damage after contact, as he possesses natural power to move the pile and break tackles. Potential nice fit in a zone blocking system where his decisiveness, strong initial burst and physical style of play could earn him reps early in his career.

Add in Christopher Harris's exact same observations from his podcast and there's three scouting reports stating exactly what I've posted before and what we've seen from him this year.

Oh, and here's NFL.com's report from the 2013 draft:

STRENGTHS

Strong build, aggressive downhill runner. Presses the line and waits for his blocks to develop. Can run through arm tackle attempts by defensive lineman at the line of scrimmage. Racks up yards after contact. Excels in short yardage

WEAKNESSES

Not a very fast running back, lacks an extra gear. Has a tendency to run high, susceptible to big hits. Doesn't possess much lateral agility, works much better north-south as opposed to east-west. Has struggled to keep his weight down during the season. Has been suspended for a positive drug test.

NFL COMPARISON

Marion Barber

I've seen nothing in two games to discredit this. So, there you go... a one dimensional, bruising running back.

http://www.fieldgulls.com/nfl-draft/2013/4/27/4276012/nfl-draft-results-seahawks-select-rb-spencer-ware-in-the-6th

Riddle: Ware is an extremely hard runner with strong leg drive. He's incredibly tough and was willing to put his head down and run over SEC linebackers. For a bigger back, Ware hits the hole fast while always running north-to-south. He's a one-cut runner with good vision, balance and will run through arm-tackles like they're wet noodles.

Stephens: Ware is a simple one-cut runner who does the majority of his damage after contact, as he possesses natural power to move the pile and break tackles. Potential nice fit in a zone blocking system where his decisiveness, strong initial burst and physical style of play could earn him reps early in his career.

Add in Christopher Harris's exact same observations from his podcast and there's three scouting reports stating exactly what I've posted before and what we've seen from him this year.

STRENGTHS

Strong build, aggressive downhill runner. Presses the line and waits for his blocks to develop. Can run through arm tackle attempts by defensive lineman at the line of scrimmage. Racks up yards after contact. Excels in short yardage

WEAKNESSES

Not a very fast running back, lacks an extra gear. Has a tendency to run high, susceptible to big hits. Doesn't possess much lateral agility, works much better north-south as opposed to east-west. Has struggled to keep his weight down during the season. Has been suspended for a positive drug test.

NFL COMPARISON

Marion Barber

I've seen nothing in two games to discredit this. So, there you go... a one dimensional, bruising running back.
One cut runner isn't an insult. That's what Jamal Lewis was. That's what Demarco Murray is.

So there you go. Also, 6.5 yards per carry.

STRENGTHS

WEAKNESSES

NFL COMPARISON

Marion Barber

One cut runner isn't an insult. That's what Jamal Lewis was. That's what Demarco Murray is.

So there you go. Also, 6.5 yards per carry.
Who said it was an insult? You're amazing at putting words in people's mouths, selective reading and being a professional troll. Congrats fella.

The Marion Barber comparison is a good one. I can see a 60/40 split in favor of West - maybe even higher, but I would suspect that the Chiefs prefer to give Ware goal line carries.

Does everyone stuck on the 6.5yds/carry stat realize that it's not as meaningful over so few carries?

Spoiler: I own West and Ware

http://www.fieldgulls.com/nfl-draft/2013/4/27/4276012/nfl-draft-results-seahawks-select-rb-spencer-ware-in-the-6thLook at the other scouting reports aside from Waldman.

STRENGTHS

WEAKNESSES

NFL COMPARISON

Marion Barber

One cut runner isn't an insult. That's what Jamal Lewis was. That's what Demarco Murray is. So there you go. Also, 6.5 yards per carry.
Who said it was an insult? You're amazing at putting words in people's mouths, selective reading and being a professional troll. Congrats fella.
Not everyone who disagrees with you is a troll. Get some thicker skin. You're way too sensitive. You said he was one dimensional. And said it in a negative connotation. Those reviews you copied and pasted were not negative. They were 90% positive. They actually refuted your point. One cut runner, breaks lots of tackles, waits for blocks to develop, strong aggressive runner, great short yardage runner.....

Sign me up!

For the record, I said that if I was forced to start only one, it would be West. But it makes me laugh when you and your ilk try to dismiss what everyone has seen these last two weeks.

Does everyone stuck on the 6.5yds/carry stat realize that it's not as meaningful over so few carries?

Spoiler: I own West and Ware
I'd be willing to bet that everyone here realizes that the more data you have, the more accurate that data is. So with 250 carries, it would be more meaningful. But with 36 carries, it's not meaningLESS.

http://www.fieldgulls.com/nfl-draft/2013/4/27/4276012/nfl-draft-results-seahawks-select-rb-spencer-ware-in-the-6thLook at the other scouting reports aside from Waldman.

STRENGTHS

WEAKNESSES

NFL COMPARISON

Marion Barber

One cut runner isn't an insult. That's what Jamal Lewis was. That's what Demarco Murray is. So there you go. Also, 6.5 yards per carry.
Not everyone who disagrees with you is a troll. Get some thicker skin. You're way too sensitive.You said he was one dimensional. And said it in a negative connotation. Those reviews you copied and pasted were not negative. They were 90% positive. They actually refuted your point. One cut runner, breaks lots of tackles, waits for blocks to develop, strong aggressive runner, great short yardage runner.....

Sign me up!

For the record, I said that if I was forced to start only one, it would be West. But it makes me laugh when you and your ilk try to dismiss what everyone has seen these last two weeks.
WTF are you talking about? I never used that as a negative... that's just who he is. He's not elusive or a burner, rather, he's a straight-ahead trucker that loves contact and moves the pile and he's looked good doing it these past 2 games. That's been my stance since post one. My only hesitation has been the defenses he's faced not being upper tier. That's it. As usual, you're reading your own spin into things and jumping to your own conclusions.

Throwing my own words back at me, when you were the one who charged me with finding scouting reports that backed my claim, is dickish.

I don't know where these guys are getting that he's slow? His 3 cone was like 7.07 or something. He's 225+.......that's pretty quick for that size.

Users who are viewing this thread