What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Spencer Ware, possibly the new work horse (3 Viewers)

Drafted last night. I took Hunt 6.045 Ware went in the 8th. Dude who took him hadn't seen the news. 

My intent was to grab Ware as a late late handcuff. Surely he'd be there in the last rounds? Nope - s'ok, his carries were being threatened by Hunt already. If this is an 8-week injury I don't see Ware getting back the gig unless Hunt really craps the bed. 

Last edited by a moderator:
2 to 8 weeks?  Sheesh
2 is incredibly optimistic since they've said ligament damage to LCL/PCL.

Generally with that sort of ambiguity the team will PUP. Which would mean what, 6 weeks? 

I'd be a little shocked to see Ware back in less than 5 weeks.

Dammit Jim, I'm a hot sauce guy, not a doctor, but that it was a non-contact injury seems to indicate instability in the knee. Not ideal for an NFL RB. 

Ugh.  Glad I have a healthy dose of C. West. 

Hunt may well be the better play , maybe not, but West will get plenty and he is way cheaper.

Ware is out for the year, needs PCL surgery. 
Spencer Ware has been diagnosed with a torn PCL and will likely need season-ending surgery.

Chiefs head athletic trainer Rick Burkholder announced the diagnosis on Sunday. Ware is also dealing with damage to his LCL. He'll get a second opinion, but in all likelihood, Ware will go under the knife. Third-round rookie Kareem Hunt will now proceed as the team's unquestioned workhorse and could finish the year in the RB1 conversation if all goes right. Aug 27 - 11:40 AM

Source: Terez Paylor on Twitter

6.05 feeling like a bargain if the kid can play. 

RIP, Ware's PCL. Never want to see that happen to a guy. 

Reid uses primary back way more than complementary guys. West a waste of time imo.
Kinda of true but sometimes not. That's vague but West was used quite a bit two seasons ago.  With that being said, he certainly seemed to fall deep down the list last year.  But hunt is a rookie and I just don't think this is ideal for him to have the Lions gate at this point. He needs some time.  

Either way, major boon for Hunt ownERs.   Major loss for ware owners but might be a blessing in disquise for fantasy owners.  Ware might have been a guy that faded down the stretch due to hunt pushing him later d failing the owners when they needed him most.

i'm seeing ware's dyno ranking still holding some value in the 40s. initially that seemed high, since i'd rather take a shot on guys who could actually earn the job and i just can't imagine ware having that much value unless hunt gets hurt.

but then i thought: is now the time to grab him, one year before he hits free agency? is ware talented enough to grab a year in advance, like michael turner in the olden days.

i'm seeing ware's dyno ranking still holding some value in the 40s. initially that seemed high, since i'd rather take a shot on guys who could actually earn the job and i just can't imagine ware having that much value unless hunt gets hurt.

but then i thought: is now the time to grab him, one year before he hits free agency? is ware talented enough to grab a year in advance, like michael turner in the olden days.
I don't see the next Michael Turner.  I think he'll be a valuable handcuff next season, with a chance to land in a true RBBC as a FA.  I think he's roster worthy in most dynasty leagues, but again, I don't see him as a potential foundation piece.  

He seems to be JAG, and Reid seemed to think the same when trading up to get Hunt even before Ware got hurt. He looked good a few years ago when Charles and then West went down, but he wasn't overly impressive last year. I would say a good handcuff, but not much more.

Pulling this thread up out of the ashes.

I was itching to pick up Spencer Ware on draft night, and passed.  Now I'm getting the hankering to pull the trigger on him again but I can't even tell if he's the RB2 on his own roster.  I know what the FBG depth chart says about his spot, but I need to know if he will remain the RB2 with a Kareem Hunt injury behind someone else? 

Or on the flip side, is it possible that he will get an increased work load even with a healthy Hunt?

Pulling this thread up out of the ashes.

I was itching to pick up Spencer Ware on draft night, and passed.  Now I'm getting the hankering to pull the trigger on him again but I can't even tell if he's the RB2 on his own roster.  I know what the FBG depth chart says about his spot, but I need to know if he will remain the RB2 with a Kareem Hunt injury behind someone else? 

Or on the flip side, is it possible that he will get an increased work load even with a healthy Hunt?
If you have the space, he's a great stash. Automatic RB1 if Hunt misses time.

Interesting - forgot about this guy. The volume would likely be there, but the question is whether he could become an RB1 like he did a few years ago when Charles and West went down. Part of what made him an RB1 was passing game volume and even Hunt is not getting much with the gunslinging mentality of Mahomes.

If you have the space, he's a great stash. Automatic RB1 if Hunt misses time.
I literally picked him up off waivers this morning in my dynasty league. He’s been the hurry up back and to be totally honest, I’m not that impressed with Hunt. Ware is a good player and is still breaking tackles (Waldman mentioned him in his Gut check article). He’s definitely an RB1 if Hunt misses time. 

Well in light of Kareem Hunt looking like he's out this week/lengthy suspension for a physical altercation he had with a few women Spencer Ware is now primed for a December to remember. Hope you had him/picked him up because his next 4:

13 - Dec 2 @OAK 4:05 PM

14 - Dec 9 BAL 1:00 PM ET

15 - Dec 13 LAC 8:20 PM ET

16- Dec 23 @SEA 8:20 PM ET

The nature of the KC offense can transcend tough matchups, especially since Ware can be a 3-down back himself.

Wow didn't even think of that. KC could draft a RB next year but they probably won't be in line to get a topflight one. That means Ware definitely gets resigned.

NFL placed Kareem Hunt on the Commissioner Exempt List.

This was expected after the Chiefs sent Hunt home from their practice facility Friday. Hunt will be on paid leave while on the exempt list, meaning he'll make his weekly salary but can't play in any games. The Chiefs have been aware of the domestic violence allegations against Hunt since August, but it wasn't until the release of a TMZ video that the league was forced to step in. Hunt is likely going to miss the rest of the regular season and playoffs while the NFL looks into the incident. Spencer Ware will take over as Kansas City's feature back.
It's official. If you have Ware you got a legit league-winner. If you have Ware and anyone else on that KC squad... :pickle:

It's official. If you have Ware you got a legit league-winner. If you have Ware and anyone else on that KC squad... :pickle:
with Watkins also out, potentially two brand stinking new toys for the fantasy playoffs on this KC roster (conley being the other). i see that not everyone agrees, but i think ware will fit right into that starter role and Watkins hasn't been that big of a factor anyway. how bad does this hurt KC's superbowl run?

Now have a new toy...riches at RB with DJ, Michel (and Burkhead), Lindsay, Ware, Mack, Gus the Bus.  If only my moves for the year would have provided me a more reliable WR2 Id feel much better about myself.

A month or so go this didn't look as good for me.

Gosh, picked him up as the news was breaking earlier, trying to keep expectations low. Do I bench Conner or Chubb for him? That seems crazy but this cat should be fresh for the final few games which has to count for a lot when considering him against more currently quantifiable possibilities. 

with Watkins also out, potentially two brand stinking new toys for the fantasy playoffs on this KC roster (conley being the other). i see that not everyone agrees, but i think ware will fit right into that starter role and Watkins hasn't been that big of a factor anyway. how bad does this hurt KC's superbowl run?
Ware is good (and more importantly fresh), but you don't fear him in the same way you fear Hunt; he's a tougher runner and also as good a pass catcher as Ware. If anything I think he see more dumpoffs to Ware as opposed to Ware rushing for 100+ yards every game. But make no mistake getting a weapon in that KC offense where Mahomes throwing for 4 TDs is like a "eh" game is nuts.

I thought Watkins was coming back?

I thought Watkins was coming back?
Watkins is out; never practiced this week. Considering they just had a bye that's concerning; he may miss considerable time. I just updated the Conley thread.

EDIT: Obvious

Spencer Ware will start Week 13 against the Raiders.

Ware is Kansas City's lead back after Kareem Hunt was placed on the Commissioner Exempt List. He couldn't get a better matchup this week against a Raiders defense allowing the most rushing yards in the league. With only five games remaining, Ware is likely going to start the rest of the season. It may not be until 2019 before Hunt returns.

This is unreal. I had him stashed on three teams including one where I cut Chibb for Albert Wilson 2 days before Nyde was traded and never got him back.

i also have him on an FFPC team where I just got burned by Ingram last night and now have to wonder if he's a better play than Josh Adams or Cohen...

OK, now that Hunt is out, Ware is the guy "going forward" for the rest of the season.

However, he's a UFA at the end of the year.

Odds that he stays with KC in 2019? Will KC be trying out anyone else that could take over the lead back role next year? 

What does this do for the outlook for the Chiefs ground game for 2019?
Chiefs are in scramble mode... They have to do some hard RB scouting to determine if they need a new #1 RB and see if it's feasible to draft said guy in the first 2-3 rounds. After all, they have tons of other concerns on D and O-Line... If Ware is the guy do you sign the #2 RB in FA? One move isn't going to fix this.

Ware comes out of this looking like a BAWS. He's already had the #1 RB role, and is completely fresh being re-inserted as the main RB in this Tecmo Bowl offense. Dude may have just doubled his asking price in Free Agency.

EDIT: is Ladsud around anymore? He needs to rename the thread!

So where does everybody see Ware finishing ROS? Kareem Hunt was 8th in our PPR league averaging 21 PPG. What portion does Ware get? 80%? That would put him about 16-17 PPG. Or could he do more?

In my deep bench 15 years and going dynasty I picked him up 3 weeks ago......figured hey WTF......if KC locked up home field by week 15...maybe he gets a run in week 16 as a sneaky play. Or simply I figured why not as Hunts hand cuff.....was shocked the Hunt owner let him sit on the WW.

May of hit the RB WW lottery. This kid is in a perfect situation and can ball.

In my deep bench 15 years and going dynasty I picked him up 3 weeks ago......figured hey WTF......if KC locked up home field by week 15...maybe he gets a run in week 16 as a sneaky play. Or simply I figured why not as Hunts hand cuff.....was shocked the Hunt owner let him sit on the WW.

May of hit the RB WW lottery. This kid is in a perfect situation and can ball.
Redraft. The Hunt owner didn't grab him and so I did about week 9 or so. He is fighting for a playoff spot and had to pick up Hines to replace him. Yikes. I don't need this week or next week. A guy like Ware shouldn't be sitting on the wire right before playoff time.

Users who are viewing this thread