What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Spencer Ware, possibly the new work horse (1 Viewer)

Reid said a month ago after the Bengals game that Ware was still working his way back into game shape...anyone's guess how that affected today's performance but there's at least an argument he'll improve as he gets more work in.

“Those legs got heavy. And he’s tired,” Reid explained. “And he had to push himself past that wall. You can go run the hill, and do all those things the guys do, but until you’re getting banged on a little bit, and you’ve got to go back in and collect your breath and your thoughts and go back out there and do it again. He’s really had to do that. So this was a big game for him to work through that.”

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2018/10/23/18011178/andy-reid-monday-roundup-dorian-odaniel-spencer-ware-and-andys-big-gut

Note: this quote was from a month ago but gets the point across

Reid said a month ago after the Bengals game that Ware was still working his way back into game shape...anyone's guess how that affected today's performance but there's at least an argument he'll improve as he gets more work in.

“Those legs got heavy. And he’s tired,” Reid explained. “And he had to push himself past that wall. You can go run the hill, and do all those things the guys do, but until you’re getting banged on a little bit, and you’ve got to go back in and collect your breath and your thoughts and go back out there and do it again. He’s really had to do that. So this was a big game for him to work through that.”

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2018/10/23/18011178/andy-reid-monday-roundup-dorian-odaniel-spencer-ware-and-andys-big-gut

Note: this quote was from a month ago but gets the point across
I think Reid has always felt this way about Ware. I think Reid feels that Ware just cant carry the load of a true feature back.

CJ Anderson is working out with chiefs
Free agent C.J. Anderson will visit with the Chiefs on Monday.

Anderson is expected to sign if he passes his physical. He'll give the Chiefs another back behind Spencer Ware after cutting ties with Kareem Hunt. Anderson managed 4.3 YPC in nine games (24 carries) with the Panthers before getting released last month. He'll push for committee work in Kansas City.

I didnt watch the game.  Can anyone venture a guess at how many of Mahomes 9 rushes were planned?  Obviously is his most of the year.  Im wondering if his rushing attempts will be higher with Ware in there.

CJ Anderson is working out with chiefs
Meh. Could be something or might not be if he signs. I rather have Ware still regardless what was said above. Not shocked that Reid wants to do a RBBC though. He drove me crazy in 2016 when I had Ware. Gotta love ff, right? ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
No, but Hunt got to play early because Ware became injured. And for people with short memories, Ware was being drafted in the 2nd or early 3rd round the year he became injured. He is far from a jag.
at this current point in his career, he is damn near dictionary definition of JAG. source: yesterday's game. when your team is calling CJA sunday night mere hours after the game... it's because the JAG running back turned in a JAG performance. 

at this current point in his career, he is damn near dictionary definition of JAG. source: yesterday's game. when your team is calling CJA sunday night mere hours after the game... it's because the JAG running back turned in a JAG performance. 
So 14-47 with a TD is a JAG performance?  Are these guys Jags also? Kamara 11-36, Ingram 7-27, Aaron Jones 11-36, McCoy 15-52, Drake/Gore combo 15-52, Chubb 9-31. Maybe you should rethink your definition of what a JAG is and take the time to learn how game script can affect a players weekly stats. Oh one other stat- he has a 4.8 YPC average this year. Far from JAG like for this point in his career.

So 14-47 with a TD is a JAG performance? 
Yes, a 3.3 ypc is a JAG performance. 

Backup rb's often have much higher ypc as a backup because they're in for favorable sets and avoid all the hard ones. 

Doesn’t seem like the KC running back upside is the same anyway with Mahomes at QB compared to Smith. In his 11 games, Hunt exceeded 20 total touches only 3 times and had a high of 5 receptions in 3 games. 

Smith would obviously check down much more and wasn’t a huge scrambler (albeit effective when he did). Contrast that to Mahomes, who obviously will run much more and, as we’ve seen since week 1, is airing down the field with regularity.

I would imagine that phone call to CJ Anderson came on Friday/Saturday when they cut Hunt. They need RB depth. I see a full RBBC with Ware leading the way.

No, but Hunt got to play early because Ware became injured. And for people with short memories, Ware was being drafted in the 2nd or early 3rd round the year he became injured. He is far from a jag.
I had him in 2016. He had that one monster game vs SD and then fell off a cliff. In this offense he will put up RB2 points without question but hes definitely JAG IMO.

So 14-47 with a TD is a JAG performance?  Are these guys Jags also? Kamara 11-36, Ingram 7-27, Aaron Jones 11-36, McCoy 15-52, Drake/Gore combo 15-52, Chubb 9-31. Maybe you should rethink your definition of what a JAG is and take the time to learn how game script can affect a players weekly stats. Oh one other stat- he has a 4.8 YPC average this year. Far from JAG like for this point in his career.
I don't get the game script excuse. KC was leading the ENTIRE game vs a horrible Oakland team. What better game script do you want?

I would imagine that phone call to CJ Anderson came on Friday/Saturday when they cut Hunt. They need RB depth. I see a full RBBC with Ware leading the way.
Reid said hed like to replace Hunt with an RBBC. That being said, I cant see Anderson being useful for a few more weeks. I still think Ware makes a fine RB2 down the stretch. Whether that means you can play him vs Baltimore though depends on your other options.

I don't get the game script excuse. KC was leading the ENTIRE game vs a horrible Oakland team. What better game script do you want?
Oakland kept it close, and was in striking distance the whole game. It was not a blowout like everyone expected. In a blowout they would have ran more instead of passing.

What's just as disturbing as this new talk of CJ Anderson or C. West was Reid's lack of usage of Ware on the goal line at the end of the game.

With a first down inside the 5 with about 2 minutes remaining and OAK still with timeouts, Reid decides the best strategic move is to PASS up by a few points instead of hand to Ware, maybe burn some clock and/or an OAK timeout, and in the process, get your TD. The guy has no sense of risk / reward. A Mahommes INT there changes the game.

Just feel like minus Hunt, it's more about Mahommes and less about Ware.

What's just as disturbing as this new talk of CJ Anderson or C. West was Reid's lack of usage of Ware on the goal line at the end of the game.

With a first down inside the 5 with about 2 minutes remaining and OAK still with timeouts, Reid decides the best strategic move is to PASS up by a few points instead of hand to Ware, maybe burn some clock and/or an OAK timeout, and in the process, get your TD. The guy has no sense of risk / reward. A Mahommes INT there changes the game.

This is not disturbing at all. He did this all of 2016.

Yes but its kinda hard to get past Wares usage in his "feature" year of 2016 and how Hunt was used. Their snap percentages arent even close.
This is what is most important to me. Is he playing at least 75% of the snaps? The results will vary, like Tyreek’s terrible game. If he is getting the run, start him with confidence.

Ware got the first carry then they threw twoce and he got the carry earlier at the GL.

shadyridr said:
This is not disturbing at all. He did this all of 2016.
Agreed! I had Ware that year and it was frustrating to watch, but he did put up good games. Btw, Hunt didn’t light up the Cards a few weeks ago. Was I worried that Hunt was meh? No. As someone pointed out already, KC will pass more, yet still give me a path to this offense. It will be frustrating though...I saw 2016 all over again yesterday. 

Looks like Ware's role in the O is secure. They signed Charcandrick West instead of CJA.
What? Id say the opposite. West already knows the system. West already has been the passing down back with Ware. Anderson would take weeks to get acclaimed to the system while West can step right in. It would be much better news if they signed Anderson.

Your takes are very odd
I agree with The Frankman. I think West is more of the receiving back if anything. Anderson would have clouded the early down role. That role should stick with Spencer Ware.

Also just saw this and whoever wrote it agrees:

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/10006/charcandrick-west

Chiefs signed RB Charcandrick West.

Kansas City was expected to sign C.J. Anderson, but NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports they are going with West. It makes sense considering West spent the last four seasons including most of training camp this year with the team, so he should know the playbook and be able to help immediately. Kansas City going with West over Anderson is great news for Spencer Ware's rest-of-season outlook. Dec 3 - 12:48 PM

Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

I agree with The Frankman. I think West is more of the receiving back if anything. Anderson would have clouded the early down role. That role should stick with Spencer Ware.

Also just saw this and whoever wrote it agrees:

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/10006/charcandrick-west

Chiefs signed RB Charcandrick West.

Kansas City was expected to sign C.J. Anderson, but NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports they are going with West. It makes sense considering West spent the last four seasons including most of training camp this year with the team, so he should know the playbook and be able to help immediately. Kansas City going with West over Anderson is great news for Spencer Ware's rest-of-season outlook. Dec 3 - 12:48 PM

Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter
So in the next 3 weeks you think Anderson had a greater chance of learning the playbook and taking an early down role? Are you crazy? I agree, West wont take an early down role as well but he certainly can step right in an take a passing down role ASAP since he knows the system.

So you think a guy who would take a few weeks to learn the playbook and get meaningful snaps would be more of a threat than someone who can step right in? Weird take

ESPN's Josina Anderson reports the Chiefs are not expected to sign C.J. Anderson.

Anderson was the odds-on favorite Sunday night, but the Chiefs decided to go with Charcandrick West, who spent the last four seasons with the team and should be able to settle in quickly. Perhaps the Chiefs revisit Anderson if Spencer Ware struggles over the next couple weeks.

So in the next 3 weeks you think Anderson had a greater chance of learning the playbook and taking an early down role? Are you crazy? I agree, West wont take an early down role as well but he certainly can step right in an take a passing down role ASAP since he knows the system.
I think West is simply there for passing downs and as another reserve. If the Chief thought he was better than Ware they never would have cut him in the first place.

Looks to be trending towards RBBC with Ware potentially ceding carries in a bunch of different situations to West and others.

Ware had a chance to solidify his spot as the lion's share guy but did not get it done. We can talk about game script, etc. but the fact of the matter is that his YPC was pedestrian off of 14 totes -- had he racked up 80+ I think we and the team would be having a different conversation about Ware and his central role in the running game.

This does not mean Ware will be useless -- he will still likely be the starter, and thus have a good opportunity ROS on a high-performance offense that needs to run the ball to continue to loosen up the pass.

But fact of the matter is Ware opened the door for this to be more rotational than we'd hoped.

Hilts said:
He's done this his whole career. Reid has always ignored the ground game for large stretches of time. 
This has become an alarming trend in the league this season. More and more I am seeing coaches displaying gross mismanagement of the clock with leads by ignoring the running game.

Atlanta showed the textbook on how you blow a Super Bowl. It seems the rest of the league thought their strategy was great. 

The way the Rams handled the clock vs the Chiefs was despicable. The Dolphins yesterday practically handed the game to the Bills with insane play calling at the end of the game.  

It is becoming mind numbing.

Kudo's to the Cowboys Thursday night forcing the issue with Zeke and doing everything they could to keep the ball out of Bree's hands and shortening the game. Although Gregory almost single handedly blew the game for them with 2 bone headed flags, the Cowboys implored the will of their OL and running game.

Yesterdays game it seemed like the Vikings would be able to run at will...yet then went away from it all the time. 9.3 yards a carry for Cook....he touched the ball 9 times. Mind boggling.

Every down is a passing down for the Chiefs.

pure speculation.. but i think shark west eventually slides in as the primary 3rd down back... similar to 2016. damian williams will get some early down looks, ware will get the most touches but i cant see him being more than a flex each week based on what i expect to be usage of all 3 backs.... just my guess at this point

Users who are viewing this thread