Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Ladsud

Spencer Ware, possibly the new work horse

Recommended Posts

10 minutes ago, Angry spiders said:

Your takes are very odd

I agree with The Frankman. I think West is more of the receiving back if anything. Anderson would have clouded the early down role. That role should stick with Spencer Ware.

Also just saw this and whoever wrote it agrees:

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/10006/charcandrick-west

Chiefs signed RB Charcandrick West.

Kansas City was expected to sign C.J. Anderson, but NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports they are going with West. It makes sense considering West spent the last four seasons including most of training camp this year with the team, so he should know the playbook and be able to help immediately. Kansas City going with West over Anderson is great news for Spencer Ware's rest-of-season outlook. Dec 3 - 12:48 PM

Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Edited by Twenty-Four Eighty-Four
  • Like 1
  • Thinking 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Twenty-Four Eighty-Four said:

I agree with The Frankman. I think West is more of the receiving back if anything. Anderson would have clouded the early down role. That role should stick with Spencer Ware.

Also just saw this and whoever wrote it agrees:

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/10006/charcandrick-west

Chiefs signed RB Charcandrick West.

Kansas City was expected to sign C.J. Anderson, but NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports they are going with West. It makes sense considering West spent the last four seasons including most of training camp this year with the team, so he should know the playbook and be able to help immediately. Kansas City going with West over Anderson is great news for Spencer Ware's rest-of-season outlook. Dec 3 - 12:48 PM

Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

So in the next 3 weeks you think Anderson had a greater chance of learning the playbook and taking an early down role? Are you crazy? I agree, West wont take an early down role as well but he certainly can step right in an take a passing down role ASAP since he knows the system.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So you think a guy who would take a few weeks to learn the playbook and get meaningful snaps would be more of a threat than someone who can step right in? Weird take
 

Quote

 

ESPN's Josina Anderson reports the Chiefs are not expected to sign C.J. Anderson.

Anderson was the odds-on favorite Sunday night, but the Chiefs decided to go with Charcandrick West, who spent the last four seasons with the team and should be able to settle in quickly. Perhaps the Chiefs revisit Anderson if Spencer Ware struggles over the next couple weeks.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, shadyridr said:

So in the next 3 weeks you think Anderson had a greater chance of learning the playbook and taking an early down role? Are you crazy? I agree, West wont take an early down role as well but he certainly can step right in an take a passing down role ASAP since he knows the system.

I think West is simply there for passing downs and as another reserve. If the Chief thought he was better than Ware they never would have cut him in the first place.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks to be trending towards RBBC with Ware potentially ceding carries in a bunch of different situations to West and others.

Ware had a chance to solidify his spot as the lion's share guy but did not get it done. We can talk about game script, etc. but the fact of the matter is that his YPC was pedestrian off of 14 totes -- had he racked up 80+ I think we and the team would be having a different conversation about Ware and his central role in the running game.

This does not mean Ware will be useless -- he will still likely be the starter, and thus have a good opportunity ROS on a high-performance offense that needs to run the ball to continue to loosen up the pass.

But fact of the matter is Ware opened the door for this to be more rotational than we'd hoped.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Hilts said:

He's done this his whole career. Reid has always ignored the ground game for large stretches of time. 

This has become an alarming trend in the league this season. More and more I am seeing coaches displaying gross mismanagement of the clock with leads by ignoring the running game.

Atlanta showed the textbook on how you blow a Super Bowl. It seems the rest of the league thought their strategy was great. 

The way the Rams handled the clock vs the Chiefs was despicable. The Dolphins yesterday practically handed the game to the Bills with insane play calling at the end of the game.  

It is becoming mind numbing.

Kudo's to the Cowboys Thursday night forcing the issue with Zeke and doing everything they could to keep the ball out of Bree's hands and shortening the game. Although Gregory almost single handedly blew the game for them with 2 bone headed flags, the Cowboys implored the will of their OL and running game.

Yesterdays game it seemed like the Vikings would be able to run at will...yet then went away from it all the time. 9.3 yards a carry for Cook....he touched the ball 9 times. Mind boggling.

Edited by Todem
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Angry spiders said:

Don't think ware vs. Balt next week is a good play at all.....

Unless it's PPR and he may catch a lot of balls out of the backfield.

On a pure RB basis though... agreed... bad matchup on paper.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, shadyridr said:

So in the next 3 weeks you think Anderson had a greater chance of learning the playbook and taking an early down role? Are you crazy? I agree, West wont take an early down role as well but he certainly can step right in an take a passing down role ASAP since he knows the system.

Every down is a passing down for the Chiefs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

pure speculation.. but i think shark west eventually slides in as the primary 3rd down back... similar to 2016. damian williams will get some early down looks, ware will get the most touches but i cant see him being more than a flex each week based on what i expect to be usage of all 3 backs.... just my guess at this point

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Snap numbers

Quote

Spencer Ware led the Chiefs RBs with 69% of snaps and 15 touches. He’s clearly the lead RB as we all thought. He also led them w/ 23 routes. Damien Williams did have 7 touches, leading KC RBs with 2 targets, 2 catches and played 26.5% of snaps. He’s a stash, especially in PPR.

Not the overwhelming numbers we thought, but ~70% is workable in that O. Ware mentioned himself he's not fully back the the knee surgery.

Edited by The Frankman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, The Frankman said:

Snap numbers

Not the overwhelming numbers we thought, but ~70% is workable in that O. Ware mentioned himself he's not fully back the the knee surgery.

70% is the same average Hunt had this season.

Also, I signing West is good for Ware. The Chiefs dumped West after playing behind Hunt (while Ware was hurt) all last season. When Ware and West were both playing in 2016, West played behind Ware. Why would the Chiefs signs West off the street to suddenly take an increased role from Ware, when he couldn't do this in 2016, and was cut in favor of Ware after 2017? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Squintz82 said:

70% is the same average Hunt had this season.

Also, I signing West is good for Ware. The Chiefs dumped West after playing behind Hunt (while Ware was hurt) all last season. When Ware and West were both playing in 2016, West played behind Ware. Why would the Chiefs signs West off the street to suddenly take an increased role from Ware, when he couldn't do this in 2016, and was cut in favor of Ware after 2017? 

i don't know if this is good for ware, but largely agree with this and it's how I read into the signing. this should mean the playbook, for the most part and for the running game, goes back to what they did in 2016 with the duo. of course with Mahommes there instead of Smith, it won't be exactly like 2016, but at least the game planning and player alignment becomes a simpler transition here with West.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Pigskin Fanatic said:

i don't know if this is good for ware, but largely agree with this and it's how I read into the signing. this should mean the playbook, for the most part and for the running game, goes back to what they did in 2016 with the duo. of course with Mahommes there instead of Smith, it won't be exactly like 2016, but at least the game planning and player alignment becomes a simpler transition here with West.

Fair point. Mahomes looks downfield a lot more than Smith did. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ware was on field for 70% of snaps.... which just so happens to be the season average for hunt.

are they signing shark west to free up damian williams for a  bigger early down role? Or did he stink in pass pro so they want shark west who knows what to do in pass pro? 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There may be too many bodies ahead of him, but I’d be interested in seeing what this kid Derrel (not Damien) Williams has. They clearly thought enough of him to hold onto him after the preseason.

Edited by zamboni

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, zamboni said:

There may be too many bodies ahead of him, but I’d be interested in seeing what this kid Derrel (not Damien) Williams has. They clearly thought enough of him to hold onto him after preseason.

Maybe he'll get some time the last game of the season but too many guys ahead of him. Still could be a good pick up in dynasty since who knows what is going to happen in the off season and in training camp next year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, beerbuff said:

Maybe he'll get some time the last game of the season but too many guys ahead of him. Still could be a good pick up in dynasty since who knows what is going to happen in the off season and in training camp next year.

Good point when early signs are not pointing to a particularly strong FA/rookie crop.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I forgot one interesting thing... Since Hunt was suspended late Friday night, Ware had virtually no 1st team reps last week... only the work on Saturday and of course game day. I would think he'd be a lot fresher this week; too bad he gets Baltimore.

 

Matt Waldman wrote in his column "Spencer Ware looked healthy enough. He ran hard, but he was not the focus of the game plan. Still he didn't look exactly like the 2016 version that rumbled through defenses with tremendous cut-back ability. He looked 85-90 percent of his old self. He's worth using but if you can afford to wait-and-see, do that."

Edited by The Frankman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, packer_junkie said:

West is there to pass block and catch dumps if Ware or Williams gets hurt- nothing more 

Agreed. West was signed because he knows the offense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, zamboni said:

There may be too many bodies ahead of him, but I’d be interested in seeing what this kid Derrel (not Damien) Williams has. They clearly thought enough of him to hold onto him after the preseason.

Yep. No way I'm dropping him until I see what happens in the offseason. There's no guarantee KC goes out & signs a RB in FA or takes one on day 1 or 2. Without any evidence to prove it, the roster dynamics makes me think they're pretty high on this kid. 

Williams is a powerful runner, but what I really like about him is his pass-catching ability. From what I saw (albeit limited action), he looks like a plus receiver. Williams actually reminds me of Hunt somewhat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/4/2018 at 1:22 PM, Football Jones said:

Yep. No way I'm dropping him until I see what happens in the offseason. There's no guarantee KC goes out & signs a RB in FA or takes one on day 1 or 2. Without any evidence to prove it, the roster dynamics makes me think they're pretty high on this kid. 

Williams is a powerful runner, but what I really like about him is his pass-catching ability. From what I saw (albeit limited action), he looks like a plus receiver. Williams actually reminds me of Hunt somewhat.

I agree he is a hold until we see what the Chiefs do, although I suspect their 2019 RB1 is not on their current roster.

Darrel Williams reminds me of Spencer Ware rather than Hunt.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, socrates said:

I agree he is a hold until we see what the Chiefs do, although I suspect their 2019 RB1 is not on their current roster.

Darrel Williams reminds me of Spencer Ware rather than Hunt.

I’m not saying he’s Hunt, but Williams has the combination of toughness & receiving ability that makes him intriguing.

I could see them passing on a top RB in the offseason so they can put more emphasis on D.

Williams’ upside make him a great stash.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Spencer Ware v. BAL: I pegged Kareem Hunt as a likely Top 10 RB dropout way back in August and I’ll end up being right about that for all the wrong reasons. I suspected back then Hunt’s production would tail off in a loaded KC offense with too many mouths to feed, but he was instead done in by a startling lack of respect for other human beings. Some people just don’t get it and now Spencer Ware stands to inherit the lion’s share of RB carries/glory for this juggernaut Chiefs offense. I’m pretty fired up about how productive Ware can be heading into the fantasy playoffs, but also pretty leery of a brutal Week 14 matchup against the Ravens. Baltimore is yielding only 12.6 FPts/G to opposing RBs and have only allowed one of them to post triple-digit yardage. The volume may be there, but the production may not.

- doug orth

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, grateful zed said:

Spencer Ware v. BAL: I pegged Kareem Hunt as a likely Top 10 RB dropout way back in August and I’ll end up being right about that for all the wrong reasons. I suspected back then Hunt’s production would tail off in a loaded KC offense with too many mouths to feed, but he was instead done in by a startling lack of respect for other human beings. Some people just don’t get it and now Spencer Ware stands to inherit the lion’s share of RB carries/glory for this juggernaut Chiefs offense. I’m pretty fired up about how productive Ware can be heading into the fantasy playoffs, but also pretty leery of a brutal Week 14 matchup against the Ravens. Baltimore is yielding only 12.6 FPts/G to opposing RBs and have only allowed one of them to post triple-digit yardage. The volume may be there, but the production may not.

- doug orth

In one league I played Ware over Lindsay last week.....wont be doing that this week v Balt even with the matchup at home....maybe Ware in week15 if Im alive vs the Bolts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, bicycle_seat_sniffer said:

In one league I played Ware over Lindsay last week.....wont be doing that this week v Balt even with the matchup at home....maybe Ware in week15 if Im alive vs the Bolts.

Same here. Benching Ware for Ingram this week. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ahartig said:

Same here. Benching Ware for Ingram this week. 

Most with decent options will bench Ware this week and because FF works this way, he'll have a nice game on everyone's bench. Seriously though, Ravens are brutal against the run, starting DJ and Chubb over him. Chubb is a relatively easy call, DJ not so much.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, LionOfGosforth said:

Most with decent options will bench Ware this week and because FF works this way, he'll have a nice game on everyone's bench. Seriously though, Ravens are brutal against the run, starting DJ and Chubb over him. Chubb is a relatively easy call, DJ not so much.

Exactly. I was seriously thinking about benching DJ too. That crap from last week was almost the tipping point 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Really debating whether to start Ware or Dante Pettis vs. a Chris Harris-less Denver team playing in SF. Marquise Goodwin back will take pressure off Pettis and he has a good rapport with Mullens. Ware may have tons of opportunity and all he needs is a TD. It comes down to who is more likely to score 8-9 points in standard...

Edited by The Frankman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Football Jones said:

I’m not saying he’s Hunt, but Williams has the combination of toughness & receiving ability that makes him intriguing.

I could see them passing on a top RB in the offseason so they can put more emphasis on D.

Williams’ upside make him a great stash.

Given that the Chiefs had three guys ahead of Darrel Williams on the roster all year and still do with West's signing. I'd say it's going to be a stretch to assume Darrel Williams becoming the guy next year. Even if Ware, Damien and West all leave, the chiefs would certainly bring in other veteran guys as well as hit the draft class. Right now Ware has the best shot at being brought back and keeping the job.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, The Frankman said:

Starting Ware over Tre'Quan Smith @TB. I checked the actual numbers for Baltimore vs. RBs and at home with that Offense, there's a chance for success. Not predictind mindblowing numbers, but 15/60 and 1 TD is what I hope for.

Me too. I have Ware going in two ppr leagues where I'm fighting desperately the urge not to panic as in one I've gone against Henry and I'm considering Ty Montgomery in the hopes he'll catch 5-7 balls and in another where I've just lost Beckham, I'm considering Josh Adams. But again, that's ppr and Ware is the better bet to catch a pass at least. I feel like I should stay with the solid player on a nuclear offense at home and not get cute in the fantasy playoffs despite already being in two damn large holes....

Edited by Kwai Chang Caine

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, chad in Indy said:

tentatively got Ware over AP.  Neither is a good option, but not sure about what happens in Washington with Mr. Buttfumble

Vegas liking Ware for a TD.  Hes as -165, same as Kelce.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unless you believe the Ravens are going to win the game with ball control on offense...y'all are too low on Ware.  The KC offense should be your tiebreaker with tough calls.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, trader jake said:

Unless you believe the Ravens are going to win the game with ball control on offense...y'all are too low on Ware.  The KC offense should be your tiebreaker with tough calls.

Would you play Ware over eckler or Justin Jackson?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Going Godwin and Cohen over Ware this week in half PPR. Was back and forth between Ware and Godwin, but I like Godwin's matchup more. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.