What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Week 12- I'm starting Brian Hoyer over _____________ (1 Viewer)

JuniorNB

Footballguy
Hoyer faces the 32nd ranked defense in the league this week (Saints). Who's playing the matchup and who are you sitting?

Brady. 1 point per 20 yards, 4 per passing TD.

In third, top six make playoffs. Not really in danger of slipping down but need to do what I can to make the top 2 (first round playoff bye)

ETA: Big games from Calvin, CAR D combined with my opponent playing Funchess on Thanksgiving have me at a large advantage this week, so I'm more inclined to shoot for a big score.

Last edited by a moderator:

In third, top six make playoffs. Not really in danger of slipping down but need to do what I can to make the top 2 (first round playoff bye)

ETA: Big games from Calvin, CAR D combined with my opponent playing Funchess on Thanksgiving have me at a large advantage this week, so I'm more inclined to shoot for a big score.
I have Brady also. My plan is to start Brady if I know Amendola is playing. Start Hoyer if Amendola is out.

I have Brady also. My plan is to start Brady if I know Amendola is playing. Start Hoyer if Amendola is out.
Likely going Hoyer regardless, given the short week for New England. Team playing on MNF and then having to travel to Denver makes for a very, very short week. Line beaten up. Seeing Buffalo pressure and frustrate Brady, IMO Denver can do the same. They are #1 in QB pressures. No D. Ware, though. Lost another option for the season w/Dobson last week.

Agreed that Amendola is critical in this analysis, but will we know about Danny A. before 7:30 or so Sunday night? Can't take the risk of Lafell/Martin/Slater at WR, on a short week, on the road, against the best D at QB pressures...even if Tommy's a STUD.

Might burn me, but can't see Hoyer not going for 250/2 as a floor (barring injury) and that's 20+ in my system.

It's not a reach but I'm starting him over Marriota vs Oakland (Luck casualty). I think 300 and a minimum of 2 TDs is his floor which I think could be right around Marriota's ceiling this week. My biggest concern is his health though. Marriota is a much safer play but I'm playing to win and not the alternative "trying not to lose".

Over Bortles. Both have plus matchups, it's a coin flip to me.

I have a playoff spot clinched & will probably lock up the #1 seed this week. My opponent started Dez, DMC & R. Rodgers on Thanksgiving, so I'm mostly just fighting the temptation to get cute by benching AJ Green or DWill because of tough matchups.

Hoyer over Brees.

Can't get past just how bad the Saints defense has been.

Eli - 6TDs

Mariota - 4TDs

Cousins - 4TDs

Rob Ryan was fired - so there is a slight fear the new staff might light a spark on that defensive unit.

Also a fear that Hoyer coming back from concussion could take an early hit and be knocked out of the game.

But I need points and after Gano and Panthers Defense ruined my Thanksgiving, I will be looking for an early Christmas present.

Over Eli in one league, and cut Tyrod to pick him up.

Over Rivers and Tyrod in another league.

Over Tannehill in one league, Taylor in another. Decent chance I start him the rest of the way in both leagues.

Over Brees in my most important league where a win pretty locks up a playoff spot for me. It's an easy call, IMO. Brees on the road is #### (just look as recently as week 10, before their BYE; shat the bed the entire 2nd half @ crappy Redskins D).

I tried grabbing Hoyer in another league, but was outbid for him week 10 by another owner who was also thinking ahead thought it wise to grab him early.

Anyone and everyone. Hoyer was a solid QB1 in weeks 4-8 (every game this season in which he played all 4 quarters).

I expect "Stafford vs. the Eagles" type numbers.

My dilemma is, I also have McCowan, Cleveland who is playing Baltimore. He carved the Ravens up for 35 points in week 5!

Both are great starts......just not sure which one will get more points this weekend??

Anyone and everyone. Hoyer was a solid QB1 in weeks 4-8 (every game this season in which he played all 4 quarters).

I expect "Stafford vs. the Eagles" type numbers.
That'd be nice since I'm starting Hoyer over Bortles in a matchup where my opponent already started Stafford and likely decides a division championship and first round bye.

buck naked said:
Hoyer over Derek Carr. After watching the NO defense, I don't know how Hoyer doesn't have a big day.
I was going to roll with Carr ROS, but when I saw Hoyer was available, I added him for this game.

This thread should be titled "I'm starting _______ over Hoyer."

Only nobody should have any responses, because nobody should be started over Hoyer this week.

Man...are you guys sure this isn't a trap? NO has had a bye week. Hoyer coming off of a concussion. I'm sitting here with Eli and Wilson (bloom said play Wilson in the ask Bloom thread).

Why do I have this dreadful feeling that Hoyer will disappoint?

Man...are you guys sure this isn't a trap? NO has had a bye week. Hoyer coming off of a concussion. I'm sitting here with Eli and Wilson (bloom said play Wilson in the ask Bloom thread).

If I had Eli I'd start him.

Good post. That's the NFL.

Reminds me of a couple weeks ago when Bortles was facing Baltimore's woeful pass defense. It was a dream matchup on paper.

He went 188-2-1. Not horrendous, but not the huge week everyone was predicting.

I picked up Hoyer but im still undecided whether i should bench Ben :unsure:

Antonio Brown is a beast and Martavis isn't too shabby either lol

Guess i'll ask Bloom :D

Futz said:
It's not a reach but I'm starting him over Marriota vs Oakland (Luck casualty). I think 300 and a minimum of 2 TDs is his floor which I think could be right around Marriota's ceiling this week. My biggest concern is his health though. Marriota is a much safer play but I'm playing to win and not the alternative "trying not to lose".
300 certainly isn't out of the question but it's definitely not Hoyer's floor...regardless of matchup. Dude's only got one 300 yard passing game on the season.

Only way I'm playing Hoyer over Eli this week is if I'm a heavy underdog and need to swing for the fences.

Futz said:
300 certainly isn't out of the question but it's definitely not Hoyer's floor...regardless of matchup. Dude's only got one 300 yard passing game on the season.
It's optimistic, I'll grant you that but it's not just NO's defense, it's the fact that their offense will keep coming for you so you have to keep the foot on the peddle. Houston's anemic running game is doubtful to run out the clock if Houston leads.

Brady but it seems the top experts seem to still think he will do well, or at least have him ranked accordingly. I assume lots of Gronk, Lafell and dink and dunk, with the pass catching RB's is the recipe?

And Daugherty over at Rotoworld rankings gives me some pause over Hoyer, saying it may just be an illusion, Saints have a new DC, and 2 weeks to prepare for one of the worst QB's.

Brady but it seems the top experts seem to still think he will do well, or at least have him ranked accordingly. I assume lots of Gronk, Lafell and dink and dunk, with the pass catching RB's is the recipe?

And Daugherty over at Rotoworld rankings gives me some pause over Hoyer, saying it may just be an illusion, Saints have a new DC, and 2 weeks to prepare for one of the worst QB's.
we'll see. I don't think you can make chicken salad out of chicken s***. Hard to change the entire sheme with average players. Rob Ryan isn't the grearesr, but he isn't horrible either. There was only so much he could do. I can't see them stopping Hopkins. My fear is a 17-14 type game between new England and Denver. And most Saints games are shootouts. Always risky to bench a stud like Brady. But on a short week, on the road, against the No. 1 pass defense, and without Amendola now, I think it's worth the risk. Disclaimer: I'm not having the greatest year making lineup decisions. Lol. May as well flip a coin.

we'll see. I don't think you can make chicken salad out of chicken s***. Hard to change the entire sheme with average players. Rob Ryan isn't the grearesr, but he isn't horrible either. There was only so much he could do. I can't see them stopping Hopkins. My fear is a 17-14 type game between new England and Denver. And most Saints games are shootouts. Always risky to bench a stud like Brady. But on a short week, on the road, against the No. 1 pass defense, and without Amendola now, I think it's worth the risk.Disclaimer: I'm not having the greatest year making lineup decisions. Lol. May as well flip a coin.
It just strikes me as strange that the top 10 QB experts have him as QB5 this week, pre or post Amendola news.

I'm thinking they project this to not be a Blount game, and with Brady amassing yardage to the RB's. I believe the Broncos may be susceptible to the pass catching RB's which would work to Brady's favour in terms of game script and fantasy projection.

It seems risky to bank on this especially with NE likely to keep the Denver offense in check, keeping this a low scoring affair.

Starting Hoyer over Eli this week is lunacy, IMO. Over the likes of Rivers and even Brees or Brady, I can see that...

Users who are viewing this thread