What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Costa Rica tips (1 Viewer)

saintfool

Dead sexy
Going with the gf to Costa Rica for the week between Xmas and New Year's. Going to be in the SE corner, near the Panama border on the Caribbean side, called Manzanillo. I looked for K4's thread and other threads but the search function stinks and/or they're archived. Anyone have recommendations, tips, must-see stuff on this side of CR?

We visited the Pacific side. Everyone told us the Caribbean side was loaded with pirates and rapists.

Last edited by a moderator:
Two friends, my wife and I went about two years ago in spring (April). We booked thru a company called Costa Rico Rios. We arrived at the air port, they picked us up and drove us about 2 hours away to a "bed and breakfast" that would be our home base. We went to sleep and woke up to a large breakfast and then met our host and the other guest, a girl that came by herself. The first day we did "canyoneering", this consisted of hiking and then repelling down waterfalls. Our guide was very personable and pointed a lot of the local geography and was just an enjoyable person to be around. We repelled down probably 6 wateralls, guessing between 50 to 120 feet. Also did a couple natural water slides that drop you into pools of water. Halfway thru a couple other guys met us with some fresh pineables and watermelon for snacks along with water. After this they took us to an authentic restaurant overlooking a valley that provided a great meal. We went back to the B&B and were free to walk around the small town before they cooked us a large meal. The next day we drove approx. 2 hours to an area that we would leave to go rafting. We rafted from this point to a camp that had little huts we stayed in that overlooked the river. There were some nice rapids, but some areas were slow as the water was a little down this time of year. Halfway down the river trip we stopped and ate a lunch they made for us. Also had different areas to go swimming. We continued rafting after lunch to the camp, set up our cabins and then they made us a nice dinner and we had a bonfire. The next day we hiked to a zip line tour. Had 6-7 zip lines, including some repelling from one station to the next along with a couple of rope bridges. Was a great time and we actually paid the guide to let us do another round on the zip lines. Again supper at the camp and then next day rafted out to a small town were we met our bus driver. From there we drove to a beach town were we went shopping and out to dinner. The next day, morning was trying to surf, had lunch then afternoon was snorkeling. After that drove 2 hours or so back to the B&B. Not sure if we had a day of or the next day we went Mountain Biking, they drove us up to the top of a volcano, we biked back from there to town, probably 30 miles. The first 5-10 miles were off road, with some difficult climbs with rocks/elevation. At the end of the off road section there was a small house we ate at with some very good home made food. From there it was mostly down hill on paved roads. That night they had a local guy that makes chocolate come buy to explain the process and let us sample product and then they tried to teach us salsa dancing...next day was free to hang out and then they drove us back to San Jose to fly out. Would definitely recommend this group as they really took care of us, the guides were great (many accomplished athletes, including triathletes, world champ kayakers and the guide during the mountain biking was a MMA fighter) and great personalities. Two thumbs up for this trip and only bad part is my wife keeps talking about going back where I would like to travel to other areas.

Went with Righetti and two buddies in our twenties. Rented a jeep and drove coast to coast over about a week. Best trip ever. Just got one of those popular travel books, picked random places to stay along the way each night depending on what we were feeling. Find a small mom and pop restaurant overlooking a bee to Arenal -/ you basically eat on their front porch like you're a family member. Awesome meal and view. Drive the countryside. There was a long and windy drive through dirt roads in the mountains where we saw a sign for a waterfall. Pulled off the road and climbed down into this canyon and went swimming in this random pond and waterfall. Was awesome. Stayed at a hotel somewhere in a hillside and ended up partying in the pool all night with some trashy tourist chicks who were down for fun. Ended up in a local bar propositioning the hookers and demanding that THEY pay ME. Watch for the monkeys on the beach, they'll steal your food when you swim. go on a sightseeing tour with a guide looking for quetzal birds in the rainforest.

Awesome place. Have fun.

My family visited Isla Nublar this summer. The weather was great but my mom got eaten by a T-Rex.

2/10 Would not recommend.

One cruise we took stopped at the Port of Limon (Caribbean side).

Was driven not less than an hour (south, I think) and visited the Costa Rica Wildlife Sanctuary

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g309264-d3803981-Reviews-Costa_Rica_Wildlife_Sanctuary-Puerto_Limon_Province_of_Limon.html

(Look at the positive reviews)

There, we walked around, but the highlight was seeing the sloths and the baby monkey exhibit that they let you go inside. ~10-15 monkeys at the time and they will come sit on your shoulders or use you to get around the cage. One really small baby loved one of my daughters and didn't leave her the entire time she was in the exhibit.

Two friends, my wife and I went about two years ago in spring (April). We booked thru a company called Costa Rico Rios. We arrived at the air port, they picked us up and drove us about 2 hours away to a "bed and breakfast" that would be our home base. We went to sleep and woke up to a large breakfast and then met our host and the other guest, a girl that came by herself. The first day we did "canyoneering", this consisted of hiking and then repelling down waterfalls. Our guide was very personable and pointed a lot of the local geography and was just an enjoyable person to be around. We repelled down probably 6 wateralls, guessing between 50 to 120 feet. Also did a couple natural water slides that drop you into pools of water. Halfway thru a couple other guys met us with some fresh pineables and watermelon for snacks along with water. After this they took us to an authentic restaurant overlooking a valley that provided a great meal. We went back to the B&B and were free to walk around the small town before they cooked us a large meal. The next day we drove approx. 2 hours to an area that we would leave to go rafting. We rafted from this point to a camp that had little huts we stayed in that overlooked the river. There were some nice rapids, but some areas were slow as the water was a little down this time of year. Halfway down the river trip we stopped and ate a lunch they made for us. Also had different areas to go swimming. We continued rafting after lunch to the camp, set up our cabins and then they made us a nice dinner and we had a bonfire. The next day we hiked to a zip line tour. Had 6-7 zip lines, including some repelling from one station to the next along with a couple of rope bridges. Was a great time and we actually paid the guide to let us do another round on the zip lines. Again supper at the camp and then next day rafted out to a small town were we met our bus driver. From there we drove to a beach town were we went shopping and out to dinner. The next day, morning was trying to surf, had lunch then afternoon was snorkeling. After that drove 2 hours or so back to the B&B. Not sure if we had a day of or the next day we went Mountain Biking, they drove us up to the top of a volcano, we biked back from there to town, probably 30 miles. The first 5-10 miles were off road, with some difficult climbs with rocks/elevation. At the end of the off road section there was a small house we ate at with some very good home made food. From there it was mostly down hill on paved roads. That night they had a local guy that makes chocolate come buy to explain the process and let us sample product and then they tried to teach us salsa dancing...next day was free to hang out and then they drove us back to San Jose to fly out. Would definitely recommend this group as they really took care of us, the guides were great (many accomplished athletes, including triathletes, world champ kayakers and the guide during the mountain biking was a MMA fighter) and great personalities. Two thumbs up for this trip and only bad part is my wife keeps talking about going back where I would like to travel to other areas.
that sounds amazing. Will you describe the meals in more detail.

that sounds amazing. Will you describe the meals in more detail.
It was, like I said my wife really wants to go back and she talks about this vacation a lot. We actually have stayed friends with our guides thru facebook. A lot of fresh fruits and vegetables, usually included a meat of some type. One lunch when we were at the cabins overlooking the river they made us hamburgers (because we were from US), they were good but we told them we would rather have authentic foods. Was two years ago so can't remember exactly but remember it was always good. Here's a link to the tour we went on.

https://www.costaricarios.com/costa-rica-adventure-vacation.html

Curious if anyone has traveled to Costa Rica with kids?   My 13 yo made a soccer team that is going to play in Costa Rica over Spring Break and a lot of the team will be extending our trip.  We'll be staying mostly in San Jose, but I'm thinking of taking off with my kids for the final 3-4 days of the trip.  I'd like to do some of the more adventurous (canyoning/zip line etc...) things, but not sure if it's cool with a 12 and 13 yo.  

Any additional recommendations on where to go?

Curious if anyone has traveled to Costa Rica with kids?   My 13 yo made a soccer team that is going to play in Costa Rica over Spring Break and a lot of the team will be extending our trip.  We'll be staying mostly in San Jose, but I'm thinking of taking off with my kids for the final 3-4 days of the trip.  I'd like to do some of the more adventurous (canyoning/zip line etc...) things, but not sure if it's cool with a 12 and 13 yo.  

Any additional recommendations on where to go?
I was just to CR recently with my 13yo and 15yo. Not sure what you mean by this. If you're wondering if they will allow your kids to do the adventures? Yes, they definitely will. They're not big on rules and regulations there. If you're wondering if you'll be able to score some weed along the way, the answer is also yes, but you'll have much better luck ditching the kids first.

San Jose is the worst part of the country. I assume this is where the soccer is, but you will be doing yourself a disservice if you don't get out to see the other parts of the country while you're there. 

If you're just looking for some cheap, easy, beach time, head West. Rent a car ($60/day) and drive to Jaco. It's an easy 2 hour drive on a nicely paved 2-lane highway. Jaco is a funky, laid back little beach town with some really good restaurants. Lots of excursions available... fishing trips, ziplines, 4-wheeler, horses, waterfall, etc. Our hotel even came with a free 1-hour surf lesson. 

If you're looking for some real adventure, head East. Get this, you can actually white-water raft from San Jose to the Puerto Viejo area. How's that for a fun transfer!?1 They will pick you up at your hotel, feed you, and transport you and your luggage to the doorstep of your hotel in Puerto Viejo. It takes about the same amount of time (4 hours) and costs about the same ($100pp) as getting a transfer. Puerto Viejo is an even cooler and hipper beach town where everything is still (relatively) cheap. Its one of those rare places where the jungle literally meets the beach. Howler monkeys, sloths, jungle critters, etc. There are so many cool, unique things to do in this area you could easily kill 3-4 days here. 

Going with the gf to Costa Rica for the week between Xmas and New Year's. Going to be in the SE corner, near the Panama border on the Caribbean side, called Manzanillo. I looked for K4's thread and other threads but the search function stinks and/or they're archived. Anyone have recommendations, tips, must-see stuff on this side of CR?
whoa! I went to puerto viejo for a week in college (spring break)... right near manzanillo.

the whole area... 25ish years ago... was absolutely beautiful. undeveloped, wide open white or black sand beaches with bathwater warm ocean and jungle spilling into them. look out for the rip-tide at punta uva.

one of the guys at our "hotel" took us on a jungle hike one day and rafting on the river between panama and CR. also kept us loaded with weed the entire week. I left a small mountain of it on the bed when we left (and mistakenly had a fist-sized bud in my coat pocket that somehow cleared customs with me back to NYC.

E-Z Glider said:
I was just to CR recently with my 13yo and 15yo. Not sure what you mean by this. If you're wondering if they will allow your kids to do the adventures? Yes, they definitely will. They're not big on rules and regulations there. If you're wondering if you'll be able to score some weed along the way, the answer is also yes, but you'll have much better luck ditching the kids first.

San Jose is the worst part of the country. I assume this is where the soccer is, but you will be doing yourself a disservice if you don't get out to see the other parts of the country while you're there. 

If you're just looking for some cheap, easy, beach time, head West. Rent a car ($60/day) and drive to Jaco. It's an easy 2 hour drive on a nicely paved 2-lane highway. Jaco is a funky, laid back little beach town with some really good restaurants. Lots of excursions available... fishing trips, ziplines, 4-wheeler, horses, waterfall, etc. Our hotel even came with a free 1-hour surf lesson. 

If you're looking for some real adventure, head East. Get this, you can actually white-water raft from San Jose to the Puerto Viejo area. How's that for a fun transfer!?1 They will pick you up at your hotel, feed you, and transport you and your luggage to the doorstep of your hotel in Puerto Viejo. It takes about the same amount of time (4 hours) and costs about the same ($100pp) as getting a transfer. Puerto Viejo is an even cooler and hipper beach town where everything is still (relatively) cheap. Its one of those rare places where the jungle literally meets the beach. Howler monkeys, sloths, jungle critters, etc. There are so many cool, unique things to do in this area you could easily kill 3-4 days here. 
This. 

I'd hate to get to a zip lining excursion and they say my youngest isn't tall enough or something.  

yeah, we'll be in San Jose for the first 5-6 days playing some youth teams from pro leagues there and will get to the National Team training grounds for a match or two as well. 

I just found out he made the team, so just starting to look at excursions etc... We'll be staying at a hotel in San Jose until Thursday and then I'm trying to figure out where we go after that.  I extended our stay until the following Monday; so we have 4 days to see what we can.

Thanks for the reply

:bag:

this thread more than a year old. saintfool- did you ever go down there?
:lmao:  pretty sure you had the same reaction when I mentioned PV in a thread last year. I was there last Nov/Dec. Its probably a bit more developed than when you were there, but still just as awesome as you remember.

:bag:

this thread more than a year old. saintfool- did you ever go down there?
We did get down there for a week. It was a *really* good time even if it wasn't especially wild. We did a jungle hike, spent the day at Punta Uva, kayaked into the jungle, and river rafting on the Pacuare. We did a little day trip to Porto Viejo and it's just as hippy as when you when there. It's more crowded but just as chill. I'd probably go to the Pacific side if we went there again.

Headed to CR with my wife and two teens - early April Spring Break. We only have 7 days, thinking of splitting it up between Arenal area and Manuel Antonio. Will rent a car and would like to stay in airbnb. Any tips for this part of CR?

just bought a ticket , leaving on the 23 for 3 weeks 

flying in and out of san jose

going straight to tortugeuro for a few days then rent a car 

ill take any guide , tour , restaurant recommendations 

The only advice I can give that I think would be helpful (it's been a long time since I was there for a month) is that it is very wet this time of year. Wet in the sense that if your stuff gets wet it is never going to dry because it is so humid and you will be lugging around a wet suitcase with wet clothes and it starts smelling like mildew/wet feet after a couple of days. I actually had a rubber/polyesther duffle bag when I went in December and it still wouldn't dry out and I couldn't get the smell out of my clothes until I got home. Prepare to be really wet.  

Considering Costa Rica for a week or two.

We want to stay at a good hotel with nice pools, pool service, on the beach with adventure tour options.

Any recommendations?  I don't have a preference on city as long as it isn't too far of a drive for San Jose airport.

TripItUp said:

We want to stay at a good hotel with nice pools, pool service, on the beach with adventure tour options.

Any recommendations?  I don't have a preference on city as long as it isn't too far of a drive for San Jose airport.
The JW got great reviews from friends.

This is not San Jose, but we did four days in Guanacaste and four days at the Arenal volcano. I’m usually a beach guy, but wound enjoying the time in the jungle way more. If you’re down to explore a different airport, let me know. 

Secrets Papagayo was great for what it was - a President's Club trip on someone else's dime.   Fun with a bunch of other people in a group.  Great resort.  But preferably I like to plan and find great local places (food, excursions) vs anything all inclusive.  So if I go back I'll do it on my own.

TripItUp said:

If you like the beach, careful booking on the Pacific side.

We stayed at Dreams Las Mareas in February and the ocean was cold as ice ... and I'm from the North East where we know a little about a cold ocean.

I couldn't even swim in it ... but the pool was very nice. 

We loved everything else ... the resort, food, adventure excursions (also a very cold waterfall)

Heading here in January for 9 days with the new lady friend.   Planning to do a mixture of beach and mountains.   Flying into Liberia as that looks to be cheaper than San Jose.  Going to be jumping between airbnbs at different locations.  So many affordable, but still really amazing, options to choose from.   Thinking 2 nights in Playa Flamingo, 2 nights in La Fortuna, 2 in nights in Monteverde and 2 nights in Tamarindo.   We're very active people and like to explore.  How does that sound for anyone that's in the know?  

Howdy! Been all those places. Have lived in CR for about 2 months over the last couple years. My .02: 

Travel between towns in CR is far more challenging and slow than you'd expect. No real "highways"... twisty, poorly lit roads that shouldn't be driven at night. Traffic moves slowly. The drive out to La Fortuna/Monteverde (and between them) is beautiful.. but slow. Use Waze for reasonable estimates on times. Google Maps has a tendency to take you on "shortcuts" that are sketchy AF. 

With that much travel you're kinda limiting your time to actually enjoy the trip. basically Travel Day > Enjoy day > Travel Day > Enjoy Day > Travel Day > etc. Some people may like that if your idea of a fun vacation is driving, packing and unpacking, checking in and out.  Me.... not so much. For 1 week I'd factor in 3 stops MAX. 

Regarding your destinations: You're hitting a lot of very touristy areas. That's not a bad thing, but if you're going with the intent of experiencing real Costa Rica & it's culture, you're not going to get that.

Then again, I also think people who go to CR for All Inclusive Resorts are silly and doing it wrong, as well. So that bias should be known. :lol:  

Playa Flamingo: Upscale touristy little beach town. Only spent a little time here while staying In Playa Hermosa. I preferred Playa Hermosa, personally. 

La Fortuna: Cool little town at the foot on Arenal Volcano. Lots of hot springs, a cool park, some solid restaurants, LOTS of tourist crap.. shops, people hawking stuff on the street (and drugs), etc. There is an incredible guide there, Carlos with Carribean winds (https://caribbeanwinds.tours/) . Can't recommend him highly enough. If you want to see wildlife, his river safari float was one of the highlights of our trip. Arenal is a fun hike (El Silencio), and the public hot springs in the river are chill... but if you guys are high maintenance then you'll likely prefer the spas at the resorts. 

Monteverde: Beautiful spot. VERY hilly. Selvatura Adventure park (https://selvatura.com/) is the spot to scratch your Cloud Forest / Zipline / Hanging Bridges itch. Hummingbird garden there is awesome too. We stayed at Valle Escondido Eco Lodge (https://www.valleescondidocr.com/) and really enjoyed it. Wildlife around the property. Beautiful views at night. Nature hikes on property. Great breakfast and adorable little rooms.  Also the San Lucas Treetop Dining experience is a cool one (https://sanlucas.cr/) . Not cheap, and the food is more interesting than amazing... but it's a great experience everyone should try once. 

Tamarindo: I don't like Tamarindo. There's a reason locals call it Tamagringo. If your Idea of experiencing another country is to Enjoy Americanized food at American prices, paying in American currency around a ton of gringos... You're going to LOVE Tamagringo :lol:    Spent a week here and the whole time we wished we were anywhere but here. Beautiful Beach. Great sunsets. That's it. Problem is, there are dozens and dozens of towns with comparable beaches and sunsets for far cheaper and far more "Authentic" experience. 

IMO I'd consider 
D1 Land @ LIR - Drive to Arenal. 
D2 Full day Volcano Tour 
D3 River Safari Tour w/ Carlos
D4 : Drive to Monteverde > Treetop Dining
D5 : Selvatura Adventure Park > Dinner somewhere
D6 : Drive to Playa Samara or Playa Hermosa (Playa Flamingo would work too!) 
D7: Chill... Go fishing... Do a booze Cruise.... whatever..... Go to Dinner
D8: Chill... Go fishing... Do a booze Cruise.... whatever..... Go to Dinner
D9: Drive back to LIR

Howdy! Been all those places. Have lived in CR for about 2 months over the last couple years. My .02: 

Travel between towns in CR is far more challenging and slow than you'd expect. No real "highways"... twisty, poorly lit roads that shouldn't be driven at night. Traffic moves slowly. The drive out to La Fortuna/Monteverde (and between them) is beautiful.. but slow. Use Waze for reasonable estimates on times. Google Maps has a tendency to take you on "shortcuts" that are sketchy AF. 

With that much travel you're kinda limiting your time to actually enjoy the trip. basically Travel Day > Enjoy day > Travel Day > Enjoy Day > Travel Day > etc. Some people may like that if your idea of a fun vacation is driving, packing and unpacking, checking in and out.  Me.... not so much. For 1 week I'd factor in 3 stops MAX. 

Regarding your destinations: You're hitting a lot of very touristy areas. That's not a bad thing, but if you're going with the intent of experiencing real Costa Rica & it's culture, you're not going to get that.

Then again, I also think people who go to CR for All Inclusive Resorts are silly and doing it wrong, as well. So that bias should be known. :lol:  

Playa Flamingo: Upscale touristy little beach town. Only spent a little time here while staying In Playa Hermosa. I preferred Playa Hermosa, personally. 

La Fortuna: Cool little town at the foot on Arenal Volcano. Lots of hot springs, a cool park, some solid restaurants, LOTS of tourist crap.. shops, people hawking stuff on the street (and drugs), etc. There is an incredible guide there, Carlos with Carribean winds (https://caribbeanwinds.tours/) . Can't recommend him highly enough. If you want to see wildlife, his river safari float was one of the highlights of our trip. Arenal is a fun hike (El Silencio), and the public hot springs in the river are chill... but if you guys are high maintenance then you'll likely prefer the spas at the resorts. 

Monteverde: Beautiful spot. VERY hilly. Selvatura Adventure park (https://selvatura.com/) is the spot to scratch your Cloud Forest / Zipline / Hanging Bridges itch. Hummingbird garden there is awesome too. We stayed at Valle Escondido Eco Lodge (https://www.valleescondidocr.com/) and really enjoyed it. Wildlife around the property. Beautiful views at night. Nature hikes on property. Great breakfast and adorable little rooms.  Also the San Lucas Treetop Dining experience is a cool one (https://sanlucas.cr/) . Not cheap, and the food is more interesting than amazing... but it's a great experience everyone should try once. 

Tamarindo: I don't like Tamarindo. There's a reason locals call it Tamagringo. If your Idea of experiencing another country is to Enjoy Americanized food at American prices, paying in American currency around a ton of gringos... You're going to LOVE Tamagringo :lol:    Spent a week here and the whole time we wished we were anywhere but here. Beautiful Beach. Great sunsets. That's it. Problem is, there are dozens and dozens of towns with comparable beaches and sunsets for far cheaper and far more "Authentic" experience. 

IMO I'd consider 
D2 Full day Volcano Tour 
D6 : Drive to Playa Samara or Playa Hermosa

:dot: 

IMO I'd consider 
D2 Full day Volcano Tour 
D6 : Drive to Playa Samara or Playa Hermosa (Playa Flamingo would work too!) 

I was hoping you'd chime in.  I saw a bunch of folks mention the roads aren't very good.    La Fortuna and Monteverde are I think musts so some variation of what you're thinking.  If we love it in CR, we'll certainly be back as its exactly what we're looking for in a winter destination.  Saw a couple of folks recommend this spa in La Fortuna so I think we're going to get a day pass to that; not like we're high maintenance but we are on vacation and its not like its expensive for the day pass.   I kind of wanted to hit the beach immediately for a bit as it is January and we're at a beach location (but not for too long as we're eager to get into the mountains), but I agree it just adds some unnecessary travel so I'm going to consider your suggestion.   Otherwise, some really good tips for me to look into; especially avoiding Tamarindo.  

I was hoping you'd chime in.  I saw a bunch of folks mention the roads aren't very good.    La Fortuna and Monteverde are I think musts so some variation of what you're thinking.  If we love it in CR, we'll certainly be back as its exactly what we're looking for in a winter destination.  Saw a couple of folks recommend this spa in La Fortuna so I think we're going to get a day pass to that; not like we're high maintenance but we are on vacation and its not like its expensive for the day pass.   I kind of wanted to hit the beach immediately for a bit as it is January and we're at a beach location (but not for too long as we're eager to get into the mountains), but I agree it just adds some unnecessary travel so I'm going to consider your suggestion.   Otherwise, some really good tips for me to look into; especially avoiding Tamarindo.  
Awesome. Im jealous. You guys will have a blast. Nothing writing with the beach first if you wish. 

To be fair, many people like Tamarindo, it's just not what we were looking for. :)  

My mom (who recently turned 75) and her fiance (wedding in Oct) just bought a condo in Playa Flamingo.  Looks like it's just up the coast from Tamarindo. 

We might be headed over there for Xmas with another family.  That means they'll have to get a hotel as there's no way we can fit both families in a 2BR / 3BA condo.

Suggestions on where to look for a week rental very nearby? Could be a hotel too.

Users who are viewing this thread