What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

TE Cameron Brate - Great or Ain't? (1 Viewer)

Futz

Footballguy
Targets have gone from 2-4-6 the last 3 weeks and TDs in consecutive weeks. Played 41 snaps in week 12. Austin Sefarian who?

6'5" but only 235 pounds. Could he continue to be a factor?

I think he's a fluke. Evans and Jackson continue to be target hogs. Then Sims gets some looks as well as the 3rd WR. I think once ASJ gets back Brate will be forgotten. But I could be wrong. He's available in all of my leagues but I didn't bother putting in a claim for him.

Has great hands. Can get open and Jameis likes him. I don't know how much he will produce for fantasy but he's gonna be a good NFL player for a while.

I didn't even know he existed until Eisenberg and Richard both had him in their top 14 this week against ATL.

He may not he deserving of his own thread but I was curious if any TB fans had any insight.

Ya was looking at replacing Vernon Davis . Both Vance McDonald and Brate are there ROS looks great too.

I think he's a fluke. Evans and Jackson continue to be target hogs. Then Sims gets some looks as well as the 3rd WR. I think once ASJ gets back Brate will be forgotten. But I could be wrong. He's available in all of my leagues but I didn't bother putting in a claim for him.
Why does everyone think ASJ is such a sure thing? He's always injured.

If you need TE help I think Brate is a decent stash, he's already shown he can produce, and he has chemistry with Winston. ASJ may have the lead now but he better start playing otherwise Brate has a great chance to take over.

He's one of the reasons the Bucs aren't rushing ASJ back. The other being ASJ isn't much of a blocker, and the running game has taken off in his absence.

Winston likes going to him in the red zone down the seam. He's gaining more trust every week.

Grahamburn said:
He's one of the reasons the Bucs aren't rushing ASJ back. The other being ASJ isn't much of a blocker, and the running game has taken off in his absence.

Winston likes going to him in the red zone down the seam. He's gaining more trust every week.
I'm thinking about him as a dynasty stash. Is this guy just a big WR with a TE label? Niles Paul 2.0? I think these type of guys have a fairly low ceiling because they can't block therefore their snaps get limited.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does it concern anyone this year that Winston still has Evans and Jackson to throw the ball to in addition to Sims out of the backfield? Or, is Brate simply good on his own?

took a flier on him in my 16 team dynasty league when I lost J Graham...my only other TE is Tamme.
.... and I only have Eifert (who keeps 2 TEs?) who probably will be out for Week 13.
I have Reed, Ebron, and Tamme. Had Josh Hill at one point too. Trying to strike TE gold takes time and patience some times.

Cameron Brate has put on five pounds of muscle since spring practices.
"I tried tp get stronger. That’s the goal every year for me," said Brate. "I’m coming in a couple pounds heavier than I was in the spring, about 5 pounds. So I’m thinking that’s going to help me out as far as blocking goes." Brates is doing and saying all the right things but he's not going to have much of a role this year unless Austin Seferian-Jenkins gets hurt.

Source: Pewter Report 
Jul 29 - 7:03 PM

I just scooped up Brate in a FA/Rookie draft. I see him as a lottery ticket for my desperate team. It's hard to know if the coaches are really singing his praises or only trying to ignite ASF. Here's a nugget of negativity for Brate owners:

Austin Seferian-Jenkins 'coming on' in camp

The Sporting News' Roy Cummings reports Austin Seferian-Jenkins "is flashing" during team drills.

Cummings admits Seferian-Jenkins still looks like he is going through the motions during individual drills, but he has been "coming on" as of late during team work. He also showed maturity by praising coach Dirk Koetter for kicking him out of practice during the offseason program. Competing with Cameron Brate for the starting job, Seferian-Jenkins will need to shine throughout camp and the preseason.

Source: Roy Cummings on Twitter

Aug 9 - 10:10 AM

Not good after the catch but has a connection with Winston and gets open in the red zone.

I think Heath Miller is the best case scenario here, which wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing.  Jameis really trusts this guy.

I disagree, but even if ASJ wins the job is injury history is such Brate may start again.
You disagree with what? You quoted me responding to this....

" Brates is doing and saying all the right things but he's not going to have much of a role this year unless Austin Seferian-Jenkins gets hurt. "

I don't really have a dog in the fight I'm just shocked that we hear the complete opposite from this situation every few days.

Why is it that you guys rekindle these discussions when I've got BB waiver claims on these guys?  Same thing happened with March on the IDP side. 

:mad:

I think ASJ has detonated some bridges with Tampa and will be moved at some point. I'm hearing trade whispers and the writing is on the wall for Brate.

He's a legit sleeper and this may be the last chance at scooping him up.

I think ASJ has detonated some bridges with Tampa and will be moved at some point. I'm hearing trade whispers and the writing is on the wall for Brate.

I'd tend to agree... the situation is ideal for a sleeper TE to emerge and my bet's on the guy that doesn't yell at coaches, get kicked out of practices, insult people's mothers on twitter, and play a full 4 quarters of the 4th preseason game.

I really don't see Brate being anything too special, sorry. He has a good story and was solid last year, but I just don't think he has the talent to be any more than an average TE. Bucs fans have really hyped him up for some reason. Maybe Jameis will elevate him a bit, but either way I don't think he has too high of a ceiling. 

I really don't see Brate being anything too special, sorry. He has a good story and was solid last year, but I just don't think he has the talent to be any more than an average TE. Bucs fans have really hyped him up for some reason. Maybe Jameis will elevate him a bit, but either way I don't think he has too high of a ceiling. 
I don't think anyone's expecting the next Gronkowski here, a Barnidge-ish season will do just nicely.

I don't think anyone's expecting the next Gronkowski here, a Barnidge-ish season will do just nicely.
I wouldn't consider Barnidge last season to be average. I would be shocked if Brate came anywhere close to those numbers.

I think he'll be around 40-50 catches, 500-600 yards, 5-6 TD's. 

Bucsfan5493 said:
I wouldn't consider Barnidge last season to be average. I would be shocked if Brate came anywhere close to those numbers.

With Kenny Bell missing his opportunity and an aging Vincent Jackson, someone on this team will step up and become the third target option for Winston.   Many people thought it would be bell for ASJ  so Brate  as a lottery ticket especially in dynasty makes as much sense as anybody else on this team. 

I believe Winston will be a high-volume passer most of his career and likes to challenge teams down field and down the middle.  

I have a strategy and dynasty that has produced some nice sleepers over the years: look for young emerging passers on bad teams and try to find  their second and third target options. 

Bucsfan5493 said:

Barnidge's 2015 season was borderline elite, which is my point... it's not like anybody looked at Barnidge in the 2015 preseason and saw a top 3 TE in the making. Am I blown away by Brate? Not at all, but if he can get the PT this is an ideal situation/offense in which he has already demonstrated potential and chemistry with Winston.

I'm curious though, from a fan perspective... assuming ASJ is either traded or relegated to backup duty, how do you project Brate's #s?

With Kenny Bell missing his opportunity and an aging Vincent Jackson, someone on this team will step up and become the third target option for Winston.   Many people thought it would be bell for ASJ  so Brate  as a lottery ticket especially in dynasty makes as much sense as anybody else on this team. 

I believe Winston will be a high-volume passer most of his career and likes to challenge teams down field and down the middle.  

I have a strategy and dynasty that has produced some nice sleepers over the years: look for young emerging passers on bad teams and try to find  their second and third target options. 
For a Dynasty, I agree that it is worth stashing him in case he breaks out, I was talking more about re-draft/keeper leagues. 

In terms of a third option, the Bucs just signed Cecil Shorts, who definitely has the talent to be a 3rd option if he stays healthy. It's also worth noting that he has experience playing Dirk's offense (his rookie year). Adam Humphries is another guy who Jameis likes targeting on 3rd downs a lot and I see him getting a decent amount of looks again this year. I could see those 2 and Brate/ASJ all getting around the same looks, so I just don't see him being great for fantasy this year.

And I definitely agree on your assessment of Winston. He's got a great arm and loves taking chances. Dirk's offense calls for a lot of deeper passes and long developing plays.

Whatever  happens with him, I admire your dedication to him.

Barnidge's 2015 season was borderline elite, which is my point... it's not like anybody looked at Barnidge in the 2015 preseason and saw a top 3 TE in the making. Am I blown away by Brate? Not at all, but if he can get the PT this is an ideal situation/offense in which he has already demonstrated potential and chemistry with Winston.

I'm curious though, from a fan perspective... assuming ASJ is either traded or relegated to backup duty, how do you project Brate's #s?
That's fair, but I see the situations as different because the Browns really had no one else to throw to. As I mentioned above, the Bucs have a fair amount of solid weapons and that's behind Evans and V-Jax. Definitely agree though that he's in a solid offense and has showed some chemistry with Winston.

If ASJ were to get traded, I think his numbers would go up slightly because Brandon Myers would be the only TE threatening him who can actually catch passes, but I still think we have other weapons who would get a lot of looks. I'd probably say 55 catches, 650 yards, 7 TD's without ASJ. I think my biggest problem with him for me is that I don't think he's that talented and Bucs fans have excessively hyped him up after one decent year lol.

I admittedly didn't watch an ounce of this game. It was a very pedestrian 3-30 on 4 targets though. ASJ got the TD on the one and only grab. Any homers or others care to elaborate further?

I admittedly didn't watch an ounce of this game. It was a very pedestrian 3-30 on 4 targets though. ASF got the TD on the one and only grab. Any homers or others care to elaborate further?
ASJ's TD was a great catch and required athletic ability that Brate does not have, so that happening was probably not good for Brate. I really think him and ASJ will see about the same amount of targets going forward. Worth stashing for a dynasty, but that's about it IMO.

Myers caught a touchdown as well.  Looked to me like all four of Tampa's TEs are going to get plenty of snaps.  Stocker, ASJ, Myers, and Brate.  Good luck finding the one who will score or have a big play on any given week.

I admittedly didn't watch an ounce of this game. It was a very pedestrian 3-30 on 4 targets though. ASJ got the TD on the one and only grab. Any homers or others care to elaborate further?
Brate played 39% of the snaps compared to 28% for ASJ and 20% for Myers and 58% for Stocker (the blocking TE). That was enough for me to drop him for Uzomah... Just not enough upside in a TEBC.

The only upside is that ASJ has struggled with injuries before and since entering the NFL. 

I dropped him.  I think he will still be heavily involved, but I'm not interested in a TEBC.  I thought ASJ had fallen into bad standing with the organization, but he's still going to be around.

Brate owners may be in luck since ASJ is an idiot and got a DUI this morning.
Not only that but......

Bucs give up on Seferian-Jenkins after arrest

Buccaneers waived TE Austin Seferian-Jenkins.
Cameron Brate and Luke Stocker will be the Bucs' tight ends the rest of the way. The 38th overall pick in the 2014 draft, Seferian-Jenkins was known to have drinking problems at the University of Washington and was popped for DUI on Friday morning, leading to his release. Some team will undoubtedly give the 24-year-old another chance, but Seferian-Jenkins will eventually face a suspension from the NFL. ASJ's loss is a blow to Jameis Winston's fantasy outlook. Seferian-Jenkins at least had potential, and the Bucs have gotten very little from their complementary pass catchers behind Mike Evans.

Source: Rick Stroud 

I was close to cutting him in my dynasty shen I desperately needed bench space. Glad I didn't. We will know a lot more about Mr. Brate in the next handful of weeks.

2 TDs on the first week minus ASJ. He could be a borderline TE1 considering the state of the position. Tampa seems to be in a shootout each week. You could do a lot worse.

How did he look?  He got a ton of targets
Decidedly average.  Pretty much what everyone that grabbed him back when ASJ got thrown out of practice expected.  He's no specimen, but FF can heavily be about opportunity, and that's what we were looking for at the time.  If he gets 6 targets a game and turns that into 10 points those of us desperate enough to be slumming around the ASJ handcuff are going to be thrilled.

Signed,

A Gronk owner.

Decidedly average.  Pretty much what everyone that grabbed him back when ASJ got thrown out of practice expected.  He's no specimen, but FF can heavily be about opportunity, and that's what we were looking for at the time.  If he gets 6 targets a game and turns that into 10 points those of us desperate enough to be slumming around the ASJ handcuff are going to be thrilled.

Signed,

A Gronk owner.
Trying to decide between him and rudolph.  I lost gates and picked up burton.  That sucked.  Gonna drop burton for somebody.  

Users who are viewing this thread