What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

TE Cameron Brate - Great or Ain't? (2 Viewers)

Near the end of the game Winston went to him again in the red zone - he was a hair away from having 3 carbon copy TDs. 

I think I am gonna take a chance on him.  Won't cost much and won't have to burn ww priority.  Tb needs a second option.  Vjax is done

From what I remember when Winston was at FSU he threw a bunch of TDs to his TE (don't remember his name but I believe he's on the bills) once they got into the redzone. As others have said he isn't the most athletic but if he gets solid redzone targets I would think he could do something like what eifert did last year

Bronco Billy said:
Winston clearly trusts him. That is huge. He doesn't need to be a "speciman" if the QB is willing to rely on him. 
I certainly have never looked at Heath Miller as a specimen either yet he continued to be a reliable FF TE for years because the QB trusts him in certain situations. I'm getting that vibe here.

I'm seeing a Gary barnidge out of nowhere type breakout from this kid this year.  

Agree with a lot of what has been said above. Maybe not an athletic freak, but he's good enough, and his qb trusts him and loves to target the TE. Dude had 10 targets last week and 4 in the red zone. 

Vjax looks old and sluggish.  Humphries is good but not a red zone threat.  Winston is balling out this season and a league leader in td passes.   

So who is going to catch all of those td passes that Winston is tossing?  Mike Evans and Cameron brate, and the rbs.  

I just picked him up to plug in in the event that jimmy graham can't suit up this week.  I think brate has a sneaky good matchup his week vs Denver.  Denver d is going to do a decent job of limiting Evans.  They were bad against the TE last year.  This year the Indy TEs dropped THREE tds on them and Greg Olsen had a great game.  Cincy has no TE RT now with eifert out so I don't count that game as much.  

Brate is probably a great DFS play this week too 

I dropped Allen for Brate and plan to use him until Eifert is back. I hope Rickyg didn't just give his kiss of death to Brate though.

I dropped Allen for Brate and plan to use him until Eifert is back. I hope Rickyg didn't just give his kiss of death to Brate though.
Hahaha is that what I've come to be known for now?  Well, crap!  Aight let's hope I didn't mush brate!  

If brate is horrible this week from now on I'll use reverse psychology on these boards.  When I like a player I'll talk about how crappy I think they are.  Let's see if that makes a difference. Lol

Hahaha is that what I've come to be known for now?  Well, crap!  Aight let's hope I didn't mush brate!  
You can't hit any home runs if you don't play lol. I agree that vjax looks cooked though. Hopefully Brate continues to get multiple red zone looks going forward. Denver is most likely going to sell out to stop Evans which should lead to some opportunities for Brate.

Brate has definitely interested me after last week. First game without ASJ and he puts up 2 TD's and gets 10 targets. With ASJ gone and V-Jax looking awful and uninterested, Brate may have a bigger impact this year than I initially thought. Him and Evans should be the main RedZone targets.

Does he have a bigger impact than Humphries, though?
I think it's comparing apples to oranges. They both have very different roles. Humphries is essentially a long hand off with YAC potential. Brate is the gotta get that important first down and redzone alternative guy in the mold of Heath.

They both can be and will be more successful if they are both effective.

From what I remember when Winston was at FSU he threw a bunch of TDs to his TE (don't remember his name but I believe he's on the bills) once they got into the redzone. As others have said he isn't the most athletic but if he gets solid redzone targets I would think he could do something like what eifert did last year
Nick O'Leary, and yes after Rashad Greene he was Winston's favorite target. 

Literally did this exact transaction in PPR dynasty a few days ago. I have to carry 2 of each position, so having Walker I just churn the second spot until I hit on something. 2 TD's and the second option getting targets in the offense is buy while you can territory in a format like this.

:drive:

#9 TE in my league with his 1st 2 games in a timeshare, suprised there's not some more love going around for the guy that could:

"Make Your Fantasy Team Brate Again".

He is looking good but I think I'm going to drop him this week since I picked up Eifert last week. I hate carrying two TE.

#9 TE in my league with his 1st 2 games in a timeshare, suprised there's not some more love going around for the guy that could:

"Make Your Fantasy Team Brate Again".
As soon as ASJ was released by TB, I dropped Jesse James of Pittsburgh and picked up Brate. Hasn't disappointed yet and was forced to start him both weeks due to the injury to Wentz. I haven't watched the games, but Jameis has been throwing a lot. The team is reportedly scaling back involvement of Sims, Martin is still out, Evans is the primary target. I don't see Brate's looks declining until something changes. Perhaps when Martin comes back and they can run the ball more, so long as it's effective and they don't get behind early.

He is looking good but I think I'm going to drop him this week since I picked up Eifert last week. I hate carrying two TE.
Having two viable plays at a position that is a barren wasteland this year is beneficial to your team. I would find room. Besides, Eifert is hardly a guarantee to return to form this year.

Having two viable plays at a position that is a barren wasteland this year is beneficial to your team. I would find room. Besides, Eifert is hardly a guarantee to return to form this year.
True. Also Bennet is on the ww and if I can't get the rb I want I may drop brate for him.

With the position being so weak this year, and Brate getting almost all of the TE catches with ASJ gone, you should definitely add him if he is available. Schedule is very easy after the bye and he is one of Jameis favorite targets. The Bucs will be throwing a lot this year due to their awful defense so he should definitely be a solid producer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Agreed. I have Ertz and Delanie and will just pick one based on matchups and then come closer to the trade deadline - if both are playing well - try and flip one + a RB/WR for an upgrade at RB/WR.

He's not going anywhere from my roster unless someone wants to trade for him.  And I have graham.  

Lots of positive comments in here.  With Vjax gone, is the arrow only going up?  TE has been a wasteland (Ertz the latest turkey), so looking for some hope here.  Henry also available. 

Lots of positive comments in here.  With Vjax gone, is the arrow only going up?  TE has been a wasteland (Ertz the latest turkey), so looking for some hope here.  Henry also available. 
I liked him up until he put up a dud the week I picked him up. I held through the bye and even picked him up in my other league where the owner dropped him after his dud. I like him.

I liked him up until he put up a dud the week I picked him up. I held through the bye and even picked him up in my other league where the owner dropped him after his dud. I like him.
Henry seems the shiny new toy, but still has to contend with Gates, even if he is diminished.  Appears Brate could get feed if only due to lack of choices.  Sure whatever choice I make, the other will pan out?

Never seen him play who does he compare to and how high is the ceiling?
It's not about his abilities.  He's very average.  It's about opportunity and system.  He's got a qb who loves throwing to the te. A te-friendly system.  And now with no vjax he's solidified as the #2 target for Winston after Evans.  He's got a plus matchup this week so smoke if you got em.  

It's not about his abilities.  He's very average.  It's about opportunity and system.  He's got a qb who loves throwing to the te. A te-friendly system.  And now with no vjax he's solidified as the #2 target for Winston after Evans.  He's got a plus matchup this week so smoke if you got em.  
You see him as a better option than Fleener or Rudolph? Tier below? Same?

You see him as a better option than Fleener or Rudolph? Tier below? Same?
Pure talent perspective they're both better or more athletic. But based on matchups this week I think brate by far.  Philly is definitely tough against the te.  And I'm not sure about kc.  I don't remember them being a sieve for tight ends. 

Sf however is.  For this week I say brate is a better start than those 2.   

I have picked up Brate in every league due to opportunity alone. Him and Evans will be target monsters the rest of the season and they both should see a lot of redzone looks.

I have picked up Brate in every league due to opportunity alone. Him and Evans will be target monsters the rest of the season and they both should see a lot of redzone looks.
I agree. Back on the train even after his dud before the bye. The targets will be there and the schedule is nice.

Won't Humphries, Shorts, and Rodgers (or Martin) also get targets?

Thinking about dropping ertz for brate.  He's been horrible and Phili offense in a funk
Posted this on another forum but Ertz has played 3 games so far and done poorly in all 3 games. The games were vs CLE, DET, & WAS. Those are currently the worst, third worst and 18th teams vs the TE and that INCLUDES the clunker Ertz put up in each of their matchups. Let that sink in for a minute.

All in on Brake, dumping Julius Thomas for him. He's definitely getting the looks, has ongoing opportunity, and could back end his way into top 10 if production holds up. At least I'm hoping that's the case.

I've cleaned out my TE decks and added Brate and Doyle. Both seem to have the opportunity to put up good numbers 

All in on Brake, dumping Julius Thomas for him. He's definitely getting the looks, has ongoing opportunity, and could back end his way into top 10 if production holds up. At least I'm hoping that's the case.
Did this too. Hate that Fantasy Pros is now telling me to pick up Julius. Guess they're not up-to-date on Brate. 

Won't Humphries, Shorts, and Rodgers (or Martin) also get targets?
He has the size those players lack.  Evans will see double coverage the rest of the year.  TB forces LBs to cover the RBs.  The TE gets open by scheme.  

Brate isn't the most talented.  But he is in a position to receive targets in space because of the talent on the rest of the team, the scheme and the situation.  He should be good until he gets hurt.    

Same here.  Dropped Julius for Brate and Ebron for Barnidge.   

And now Eifert returns from injury back to training ( I picked him up last week and dropped him ). I feel like it was a good year to wait on TE, there seems to be a lot of options right now and a few of them could be great going forward ROS.

Users who are viewing this thread