What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

I need help losing weight and getting back in shape (1 Viewer)

for you no breakfast people - I tried it this am - Woke up at 6:30 like usual, had coffee and a bunch of water. At 10:00 am feel as thought i am going to faint and i have only walked 2 miles this am. How in the heck can you do this every day? No chance i will be doing this again.

sbonomo said:
for you no breakfast people - I tried it this am - Woke up at 6:30 like usual, had coffee and a bunch of water. At 10:00 am feel as thought i am going to faint and i have only walked 2 miles this am. How in the heck can you do this every day? No chance i will be doing this again.
I am with you on this. I am starving when I wake. I cannot wait to eat breakfast. There are times when I have to rush to work without eating and I am miserable until I do eat.

We are all different. Some people hate the thought of eating breakfast and are simply not hungry. They do not eat breakfast for years and are totally fine. Other folks like me, get light headed if food is not ingested within 2 hours of waking. There is no right or wrong answer.

sbonomo said:
I am with you on this. I am starving when I wake. I cannot wait to eat breakfast. There are times when I have to rush to work without eating and I am miserable until I do eat. We are all different. Some people hate the thought of eating breakfast and are simply not hungry. They do not eat breakfast for years and are totally fine. Other folks like me, get light headed if food is not ingested within 2 hours of waking. There is no right or wrong answer.
If I eat dinner early and don't eat again I will literally wake up in the middle of the night starving.

I can't even imagine skipping breakfast.

sbonomo said:
I am with you on this. I am starving when I wake. I cannot wait to eat breakfast. There are times when I have to rush to work without eating and I am miserable until I do eat.

We are all different. Some people hate the thought of eating breakfast and are simply not hungry. They do not eat breakfast for years and are totally fine. Other folks like me, get light headed if food is not ingested within 2 hours of waking. There is no right or wrong answer.
WebMD says eat breakfast

http://www.webmd.com/diet/obesity/lose-weight-eat-breakfast?page=1

Quick daily update. Today has been a struggle for some reason. I've eaten fine, woke up and had another bowl of the granola (I can see where a guy could overeat on that stuff, it really is delicious. Thanks for the reco Willie!), skipped coffee at home. Hit a coffee shop with a workmate at 10 and drank a few cups of coffee, went home for lunch, had the leftover chicken/rice/quinoa from Tuesday night and a couple of small pieces of the pork roast leftover from Monday. Questioned whether it was good or not, put soy sauce on it instead of my regular bbq. Major sweet tooth today which I never have. Had an apple and now I'm drinking a bottled water with an isagenix powder in it for energy/hydration, tastes like tang. Almost too sweet, but curing me. Just feel blah today, feel fat even though I've been eating good. Walked to the coffee shop this morning, walked to the bank this afternoon. Got a good nights sleep last night. Not sure what's up unless it's just my body rebelling. Haven't been to McD's all week and only twice fast food, once with the smothered chicken sandwich and once with the southwest chicken salad. I know I'm down weight, I cheated and looked last night. My goal is to log weight every Saturday morning. I was 264.1 lbs last Saturday morning. Tonight is going to be a struggle (and tomorrow) Wife is on first day of back to back 12 hour shifts where she doesn't get off until 7PM. The 7-7 shifts and the days she goes in at 5AM are always the days we end up going out to eat and I'm afraid I may not have much discipline by the time I get home. May hit the local meat market and get a couple of NY Strips or sirloins or something to put on the grill on the way home. That way hopefully I won't be tempted just to go out and grab something so I can be done with it and settle in and watch the football game.

sbonomo said:

This, we're all different. I can easily go a day without eating, now I'm hungry at the end of the day, but not like I can't get to sleep or anything. For folks like me who like to skip breakfast, it leaves a lot more calories for the meals we do eat so we are more satiated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Keep working at it Gussy - and remember - no food that is bad for you ever tastes as good as you will feel after weening yourself away from it!!!

If you're really hungry and you need a filling, low-cal snack, potatoes are good. A decent sized potato will run you around 200 calories. No butter, just salt and maybe some soy, a little bar-b-q, A1, whatever. Fill you up for well under 300 calories.

sbonomo said:
More coffee. Seriously though, it just works for me. I do it to shrink my feeding window to 8 hours. It makes it pretty easy to stay under 1700 calories. Staying busy is the key. If I'm home, it's much harder.

I havn't really followed this thread, but my dad is 6'4 and was pushing 300 a few months ago. He's down to 250 now. Here's what he did:

1 - Cut out sugar. No candy, soda, etc.

2 - Cut out high carb foods - Sugar was the main thing, but he also doesn't eat pasta / bread any more. If we go out to eat, he orders a glass of red wine instead of eating the bread.

3 - Switched to light beer / dry red wine when he wants to drink alcohol

4 - Portion control and eating slower. He drinks water with his meals, and forces himself to take a drink in between each bite. Really keeps himself from just stuffing, when he feels full, he stops eating instead of just having "one more bite".

5 - Pull ups. He bought a few pull up bars and put them over areas he walks through often, in the doorway to his room and in the doorway to his bathroom, one is hanging on the entrance to the kitchen etc. Now everytime he walks under one of these bars he forces himself to do pull ups. He started doing just 1, I think he's up to 6-7 now. It adds up to a ton of pullups throughout the day.

It's made a huge difference and you can tell just looking at him, plus he just seems happier overall.

Gluck and just don't quit. Keep at it. You've got this.

Quick daily update. Today has been a struggle for some reason. I've eaten fine, woke up and had another bowl of the granola (I can see where a guy could overeat on that stuff, it really is delicious. Thanks for the reco Willie!), skipped coffee at home. Hit a coffee shop with a workmate at 10 and drank a few cups of coffee, went home for lunch, had the leftover chicken/rice/quinoa from Tuesday night and a couple of small pieces of the pork roast leftover from Monday. Questioned whether it was good or not, put soy sauce on it instead of my regular bbq. Major sweet tooth today which I never have. Had an apple and now I'm drinking a bottled water with an isagenix powder in it for energy/hydration, tastes like tang. Almost too sweet, but curing me. Just feel blah today, feel fat even though I've been eating good. Walked to the coffee shop this morning, walked to the bank this afternoon. Got a good nights sleep last night. Not sure what's up unless it's just my body rebelling. Haven't been to McD's all week and only twice fast food, once with the smothered chicken sandwich and once with the southwest chicken salad. I know I'm down weight, I cheated and looked last night. My goal is to log weight every Saturday morning. I was 264.1 lbs last Saturday morning. Tonight is going to be a struggle (and tomorrow) Wife is on first day of back to back 12 hour shifts where she doesn't get off until 7PM. The 7-7 shifts and the days she goes in at 5AM are always the days we end up going out to eat and I'm afraid I may not have much discipline by the time I get home. May hit the local meat market and get a couple of NY Strips or sirloins or something to put on the grill on the way home. That way hopefully I won't be tempted just to go out and grab something so I can be done with it and settle in and watch the football game.
When I cut hydrogenated oils out of my diet last year I felt freakin awful. Like 3 or 4 days of bad headache and wiped out. You've made some changes so I'd assume it's a detoxification of some sort. You cut out a bunch of those chemicals and preservatives in the processed stuff, your body is going to withdrawal a bit. You were probably eating fast food 7-8 times per week, body gets used to the crap they put in it. Good news is that when you come out the other side you feel great.

sbonomo said:
It takes time. You think you're going to die at first, especially if you are a bigtime breakfast lover. But it quickly passes. It's not for everyone.

Strip/sirloins are good choices. Personally, I like to plan for it (lighter lunch) and settle in with a big ribeye. It has more fat, and when I eat a big ribeye with a pat of butter on the top, I feel amazing and I feel full.

A 12 ounce ribeye is 570 calories. Grab a potato for 200. Throw some butter on both. 900-1000 calories and it will absolutely help if you have a big appetite and are starting to feel starved. At times it's mentally good to "feel full".

Another thing you can do if you are feeling starved is to eat to maintenance one day. For instance, if you've been eating 1700, go ahead and eat 2300. It's a non-dieting day, but you aren't going backwards. I think it's important to have those from time to time I think to keep your sanity.

sbonomo said:
It takes time. You think you're going to die at first, especially if you are a bigtime breakfast lover. But it quickly passes. It's not for everyone.
Ya, i have the same breakfast every AM - 3 egg (one yolk) omelette with a huge handful of spinach, 1-2 oz of cheese and a scoop of whole pinto beans. I am able to hold off lunch until 1 or 2 which is generally pretty small (1/2 sandwich or salad or pho). Then i eat a regular size dinner. works for me - 5'11 190 - could easily lose 10 if i quit drinking 4 days a week.

sbonomo said:
Ya, i have the same breakfast every AM - 3 egg (one yolk) omelette with a huge handful of spinach, 1-2 oz of cheese and a scoop of whole pinto beans. I am able to hold off lunch until 1 or 2 which is generally pretty small (1/2 sandwich or salad or pho). Then i eat a regular size dinner. works for me - 5'11 190 - could easily lose 10 if i quit drinking 4 days a week.
This is the perfect example of how one system won't work for two people. I don't wake up hungry. The thought of food early in the morning makes me sick. But I'm starved for lunch. It almost doesn't matter what I eat for breakfast, I need lunch. It's my favorite meal of the day, by far. I can't imagine having half a sandwich for lunch. I'd go crazy.

Todem said:
Annyong said:
"You are the average of the people you surround yourself with."

My brothers been saying this. He read it somewhere.

I just started a new gig and a couple of these dudes workout after work and eat healthy lunches. Sure as ####, here I am taking a dump after a workout at 6:30am
So damn true in every facet of life.
Yikes, I'm the average of MT and LarryBoy.

James Daulton said:
mitchh1124 said:
Heavy weight is good for powerlifting

Building muscle a nice high rep squat routine works wonders

Try to work up to 315 lbs for 20 reps

No one has little legs that can do that.
Squats really are a fantastic exercise. Although, for hypertrophy I've always worked in the 8- 10 rep range. Thoughts?
Yeah that's fine..but most people get better results at high rep leg training.

20 rep squats are grueling..massive pump afterwards.

what makes it tough is you load the bar for what you can get 10 reps with and get 20 no matter what.

I've sat with the bar on my back for nearly 5 mins

Then fall down after I rack it

And try to increase weight every week for 6 weeks ..example

225x20

235x20

245x20

It's tough as hell but great growth!

James Daulton said:
mitchh1124 said:

Squats really are a fantastic exercise. Although, for hypertrophy I've always worked in the 8- 10 rep range. Thoughts?
Yeah that's fine..but most people get better results at high rep leg training.

20 rep squats are grueling..massive pump afterwards.

what makes it tough is you load the bar for what you can get 10 reps with and get 20 no matter what.

225x20

235x20

245x20

Did I mention I'm old, tired, and supplement free?

James Daulton said:
mitchh1124 said:

Yeah that's fine..but most people get better results at high rep leg training.20 rep squats are grueling..massive pump afterwards.

225x20

235x20

245x20

That's okay, you just can go as hard as often!My dad is 52 and just bench pressed 375 for a double! Haha

Edit - go to your doc and say you feel tired and low sex drive :)

Gussy > what's your daily workout plan look like?
There is no daily workout plan right now Ron. It's "hoping I have time to fit in a half hour walk" and "making sure I'm walking to places close to work instead of driving" and "Hoping to get laid tonight" how many calories does that burn? (figured you'd know)

There is no daily workout plan right now Ron. It's "hoping I have time to fit in a half hour walk" and "making sure I'm walking to places close to work instead of driving" and "Hoping to get laid tonight" how many calories does that burn? (figured you'd know)
30 cal for 10 minutes according to my app. (Vigorous)

Check out some youtube, no-weights home workouts. You can get a good sweat going without weights.

Do it at night before you go to bed, you'll sleep better. I could send Barb over your house to do Yoga with you too.

IMO, it's important to get the heart rate going for 30 mins a day to maintain weight loss.

You'll build muscles that will burn fat even when you're sleeping.

James Daulton said:
mitchh1124 said:

Yeah that's fine..but most people get better results at high rep leg training.20 rep squats are grueling..massive pump afterwards.

225x20

235x20

245x20

That's okay, you just can go as hard as often!My dad is 52 and just bench pressed 375 for a double! Haha

Hmm, neither of which is true, however, if my doc dropped some test on me, that would make my workout and physique goals a little bit easier.

Has there ever been a thread on FBGs about some dude trying to lose weight that ended up in success? Now I know that at least 75% of them were made by Oats, so we can discount those, but that still leaves 25% where the OP may have actually taken all the good advice and gone from fat to fit.

Let's hear from the success stories!
The first few fatballguys threads had some success stories, I believe
The myfitnesspal thread has a lot of successes. I dropped about 30# something like 4 years ago and have held it off - some bouncing 5# up and down. A buddy sent a picture from before then last night, and my kids called the picture Fat Dad.

James Daulton said:
mitchh1124 said:

225x20

235x20

245x20

Hmm, neither of which is true, however, if my doc dropped some test on me, that would make my workout and physique goals a little bit easier.
Your test levels will be lower just from your age brotherGo to doc lol

So many people your age have it especially if you have a cool doc

Just got back from my doc, was supposed to be tomorrow, but had my son in today with a medical issue that he's dealing with and they could get me in so I did it. BP was 146 over 94, which I think is higher than normal, but I was kind of worked up over my kid so that could explain it. Told him that I had committed to some changes and what I was doing. We talked about my drinking, he basically told me that he's not going to tell me to quit drinking (to which I told him that I wouldn't listen anyway), but he thinks if I can just keep it in moderation I'll be fine. We talked about my apnea and treating it, I told him that I really think that if I get back down closer to 200 that it may go away, he thinks the less I weigh it may get better. Wants to see me again in March.

Picked up 2 NY Strips for dinner. Still feel like ####, have eaten really good all day. Hopefully this passes. No energy, gut hurts, no motivation.

Thoughts on hydroxycut to get you over the initial hump?
These products seem to work but IMO it's not due the products themselves. I use a product called Quadra Lean and think the weight loss effect is do more to the pills affecting your normal state (reminding you that you're trying to lose weight) than its fat-burning qualities.

I'm also taking octopamine, which is a mild stimulant that supposedly has fat burning qualities but I mainly use it for mood improvement as an ADD medication alternative. A more popular drug is Modafinil which has similar effects.

Check out some youtube, no-weights home workouts. You can get a good sweat going without weights.

Do it at night before you go to bed, you'll sleep better. I could send Barb over your house to do Yoga with you too.

IMO, it's important to get the heart rate going for 30 mins a day to maintain weight loss.

You'll build muscles that will burn fat even when you're sleeping.
I want to lose weight too. Also, i am having a hard time figuring out a workout schedule. Ron can you help :popcorn:

gussy.. who is that healthy young woman in your avatar?
Bibbi Jones, or Brittney Beth, depending on when you fapped to her. Retired porn star, used to be a great twitter follow. Would literally tell great stories about her randomly just inviting post men and cops to come inside and then would #### them silly. My favorite kind of whore :) Ended up having a baby kind of forcing her out of the game. Odd.

gussy.. who is that healthy young woman in your avatar?
Bibbi Jones, or Brittney Beth, depending on when you fapped to her. Retired porn star, used to be a great twitter follow. Would literally tell great stories about her randomly just inviting post men and cops to come inside and then would #### them silly. My favorite kind of whore :) Ended up having a baby kind of forcing her out of the game. Odd.
Gawd I love those "whore with a heart" stories.

Users who are viewing this thread