What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

I need help losing weight and getting back in shape (1 Viewer)

A typical day at the office for me is oatmeal early morning, yogurt around 10:30, gym at noon and lunch about 1:30 (some combo of protein and veggies). Keep "good snacks" around. Almonds (avoid dried fruit, there's a ton of sugar in it). Also, ketchup is hereby deemed devil's semen; no more, ever.

Food has become simply fuel to me. I get pleasure from working out and whoring out.
I would love to be able to view food this way, but I get a tremendous amount of pleasure out of food. Especially good food, good wine, good scotch, etc. As for the whoring out, I chose to get married a second time. I'm obviously lazier than you GB. The amount of effort it took to constantly be putting #####es in my bed got to be too much. And too expensive. As I mentioned, I'm not much for doing anything halfway. When I was single, if there wasn't SOME girl in my bed every night, I deemed the day a failure for the most part. Got married about 7 years ago, been with my bride for almost 9. Couldn't be happier from that standpoint.
That's funny b/c I'd never consider McDonalds to be good food. I'd bet my life that most of the food you eat is mediocre at best. There's nothing saying you can't have some good meals throughout the week especially once you're at your target weight and you don't have to worry about cutting anymore. But good god man, make them count.

A typical day at the office for me is oatmeal early morning, yogurt around 10:30, gym at noon and lunch about 1:30 (some combo of protein and veggies). Keep "good snacks" around. Almonds (avoid dried fruit, there's a ton of sugar in it). Also, ketchup is hereby deemed devil's semen; no more, ever.

Food has become simply fuel to me. I get pleasure from working out and whoring out.
I would love to be able to view food this way, but I get a tremendous amount of pleasure out of food. Especially good food, good wine, good scotch, etc. As for the whoring out, I chose to get married a second time. I'm obviously lazier than you GB. The amount of effort it took to constantly be putting #####es in my bed got to be too much. And too expensive. As I mentioned, I'm not much for doing anything halfway. When I was single, if there wasn't SOME girl in my bed every night, I deemed the day a failure for the most part. Got married about 7 years ago, been with my bride for almost 9. Couldn't be happier from that standpoint.
That's funny b/c I'd never consider McDonalds to be good food. I'd bet my life that most of the food you eat is mediocre at best. There's nothing saying you can't have some good meals throughout the week especially once you're at your target weight and you don't have to worry about cutting anymore. But good god man, make them count.
No dippy, McD's isn't what I consider good food at all. It's what I consider on my way to work food. We live by and belong to a golf club that has great food that we eat at too much, we go out to high dollar (at least by Omaha standards) restaurants about weekly where we'll drop 150-200, which usually includes a bottle of wine, an app, split a dessert, etc. Believe me, at dinner, we make them count.

No dippy, McD's isn't what I consider good food at all. It's what I consider on my way to work food. We live by and belong to a golf club that has great food that we eat at too much, we go out to high dollar (at least by Omaha standards) restaurants about weekly where we'll drop 150-200, which usually includes a bottle of wine, an app, split a dessert, etc. Believe me, at dinner, we make them count.
How about the subway and arby's for lunch? More crap. Point is go to your country club or whatever a few times a week, but the rest of the time has to be healthy food. If you're doing a crappy breakfast, a crappy lunch and a few crappy dinners then most of your food is mediocre at best. Cut that crap out.

Tell a friend who cooks well that you will buy all the food if they come cook if for you and eat with you.

You could eat like an absolute slobby mess of a pig and still be eating way healthier than you are now.

And probably cheaper.

Last edited by a moderator:
It sounds like you're in denial and don't really want to change a thing. You're asking for advice and when you get it you almost immediately brush it off. The fact is you need to make major changes and it won't be easy. You're already on cholesterol meds. Those are only the tip of the iceberg. You don't want to take a handful of pills every day to stay alive, do you? You at least acknowledge you have a problem, now time to acknowledge you need to make changes to fix it. Keep going down this path, look and feel like crap, die young. Or make wholesale changes now, look and feel great and live a long life. Up to you.

I knew someone who just passed away at 44 from a heart attack. Non smoker, just over-weight. Probably a little taller than you, same weight. You have to see that you have a serious issue here. Eating mc's breakfast 4 times a week because it's on the way to work is just asking for trouble. More fast food for lunch and then a massive dinner? Don't even worry about exercise yet, you need to get your diet under control. Maybe make a weekly plan where you change one thing. Week one, no mcd's for breakfast. Week two, salad for lunch twice a week. etc.

It sounds like you're in denial and don't really want to change a thing. You're asking for advice and when you get it you almost immediately brush it off. The fact is you need to make major changes and it won't be easy. You're already on cholesterol meds. Those are only the tip of the iceberg. You don't want to take a handful of pills every day to stay alive, do you? You at least acknowledge you have a problem, now time to acknowledge you need to make changes to fix it. Keep going down this path, look and feel like crap, die young. Or make wholesale changes now, look and feel great and live a long life. Up to you.
What advice did I brush off? All I said is that I don't view McD's as good food after someone posted that what I consider "good" food is garbage. I don't believe I've brushed anything off. I opened a myfitnesspal account this morning and have started tracking my food, and took the dog for a 20 minute walk tonight. Not sure where this is coming from.

My day so far..........

3 fried eggs and 2 pieces of toast, 2 pats of butter, 432 calories

20 minute walk with dog

1/2 bag of Dole's pre-made Ceasars salad for lunch 225 calories

1 piece of leftover pepperoni pizza mid afternoon snack 387 calories

(JC, I had no idea pizza was THAT bad. Ugh)

I have about 1100 calories left for the rest of the day. We have an ugly sweater party tonight, so it's not going to be easy. Part of my drinking issue is all of my "boys" are drinkers too, and I get no support when I try to make changes to my drinking habits. My GOAL for tonight is 2 light beers and then just soda water and a lime. They'll all just assume it's Vodka/Soda. Our wives are all making soups, so not sure how easy it will be to be good there. My wife is making a cheeseburger soup which is spectacular, but I'm guessing not very good for me. Velveeta, hamburger, carrots, celery, onions, chicken broth..............not sure what else will be there. I'm guessing a chili and a few others. And lots of snacks. It's a process. At least I'm thinking about having a plan.

Honest report tomorrow about number of beers. Deal?
Deal. The bigger fear is the number of ACTUAL vodka/soda's. Or how many times Vodka ends up in my soda by accident. Beer is not my weakness when it comes to drinking, liquor is.

The next four weeks is the worst stretch of the entire year to try this. Maybe wait til January when it can actually be done. In the meantime, start practicing driving past the fast food drive thru's if youre serious. That much is realistic.

That's another topic for another day. Try eating an apple and a salad before the party. Then go, and just eat enough of the soups to taste them. If anyone calls you on your smaller portion sizes simply say you want to try them all. You don't have to give it all up. Just be smarter about it. Enjoy the taste, and not the volume. And then make those 2 beers last the evening. Nurse those bad boys.

I think if any of my "friends" got on my case about what i was drinking they would be the victim of assault shortly after.

My day so far..........

20 minute walk with dog

I have about 1100 calories left for the rest of the day. We have an ugly sweater party tonight, so it's not going to be easy. Part of my drinking issue is all of my "boys" are drinkers too, and I get no support when I try to make changes to my drinking habits. My GOAL for tonight is 2 light beers and then just soda water and a lime. They'll all just assume it's Vodka/Soda. Our wives are all making soups, so not sure how easy it will be to be good there. My wife is making a cheeseburger soup which is spectacular, but I'm guessing not very good for me. Velveeta, hamburger, carrots, celery, onions, chicken broth..............not sure what else will be there. I'm guessing a chili and a few others. And lots of snacks. It's a process. At least I'm thinking about having a plan.
First big test - good luck. Should go well unless you start getting a buzz and your inner beast takes over wanting more of that buzz and fun.

What advice did I brush off? All I said is that I don't view McD's as good food after someone posted that what I consider "good" food is garbage. I don't believe I've brushed anything off. I opened a myfitnesspal account this morning and have started tracking my food, and took the dog for a 20 minute walk tonight. Not sure where this is coming from.
Sorry, didn't mean to come off that rough. Just meant that you need to make major changes.

You can't out-exercise a bad diet...start there.

McD's 4 or 5 times a week....high cholesterol you say?
This is false. You can out work a bad diet but it is just harder. A lot of harder. You have to be talking working out extremely hard for at least 2 hours. He out works his diet and he is a top athlete.

I like the whole video but you can skip to 2:22 to see what i am talking about

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not sure about the methodology of counting calories without considering what makes up those calories. You really believe eating half a big mac is better than a nice portion of fish w/veggies?

Sugar is a bigger enemy than calories imo. The sugar in the buns and ketchup of fast food is enough to send your glucose levels up to increase fat.

Also don't think snacking on fruit isn't a good idea. There is enough "hidden sugar" in food you eat. The naturally occurring sugar in fruit is going to be too much for your liver and store it as fat.

RealReactions said:
jerry jones said:

This is false. You can out work a bad diet but it is just harder. A lot of harder. You have to be talking working out extremely hard for at least 2 hours. He out works his diet and he is a top athlete.

Outworking a bad diet is damn near impossible for a lot of reasons, most notably the increase in calories and the lower amounts of energy you will have due to eating the wrong types of calories, not to mention your body will be less efficient using the bad calories.

Yeah, anything CAN happen, but it's not likely enough to really consider being able to do it for a normal person.

I'm not sure about the methodology of counting calories without considering what makes up those calories. You really believe eating half a big mac is better than a nice portion of fish w/veggies?

Sugar is a bigger enemy than calories imo. The sugar in the buns and ketchup of fast food is enough to send your glucose levels up to increase fat.
Right, sugar is the biggest devil. Sugar 1st, bread 2nd.

Sugar is worse than eating fat. If I hear one more person say they ate a "fat free cake" or some crap I will smack them upside the head. Sgar, especially simple sugar, turns to fat way too easily.

RealReactions said:
jerry jones said:

This is false. You can out work a bad diet but it is just harder. A lot of harder. You have to be talking working out extremely hard for at least 2 hours. He out works his diet and he is a top athlete.I like the whole video but you can skip to 2:22 to see what i am talking about
You're like the second coming of Eminence.

I think calories are more important than where they come from in terms of sticking with a plan. I think you will be more likely to follow a plan that has you eating what you like, but less of it, than to drastically change your diet.I would fix your caloric intake and then slowly change your diet once you are comfortable with your new portion size. Just my experience and opinion, I would defer to someone who actually knows what they are talking about.

RealReactions said:
jerry jones said:

Outworking a bad diet is damn near impossible for a lot of reasons, most notably the increase in calories and the lower amounts of energy you will have due to eating the wrong types of calories, not to mention your body will be less efficient using the bad calories.

Yeah, anything CAN happen, but it's not likely enough to really consider being able to do it for a normal person.
:goodposting:

Generally if someone is hard working enough to be able to outwork a bad diet then they weren't fat to begin with.

The fish and veggies is certainly healthier for you and has the overall benefit of making you feel better (positive reinforcement) but ultimately it does come down to calories when it comes to weight loss. You can lose weight on a McDonalds diet but you'll feel like #### doing it.

gussy said:
My day so far..........

20 minute walk with dog

Just mentioned the words 'cheeseburger soup' to my daughter and her instant reaction was 'ewwww, cheeseburger soup is disgusting!!"

Some simple stuff:

- Give up booze, at least for a month

- Drink only water, with some zero calorie soft drinks mixed in if needed

- Stop going to Mcdonalds

I'm not into the apps or calorie counting, so I can't help you there, but there are three things you can do to drastically improve your weight:

Breakfast and lunch must change. Nothing will happen until you stop with the fast food twice a day. A cup of yogurt for breakfast, have some nuts around 11am to hold you over, and something reasonable for lunch - preferably something without bread. That's step one.

Step 2 is stop w/ the diet soda and iced tea. Drink water. If you must have flavor, buy some flavored seltzer. Don't drink your calories, and diet soda is horrible for you.

Step three? Alcohol. Cut down. Cut it in half, in fact. That you say you are reading what others drink and saying "well, I'm ok then" is a bit of a clue that yea, you drink too much. I'm 49 and cut my drinking in half about a year ago - just kind of naturally happened, as the buzz just wasn't agreeing with me anymore. I drank like you say you do - only 2 or 3 days a week, a few drinks each time, or maybe 6-8 beers on a Saturday... I was doing maybe 12-15 drinks a week. I cut that in half, and almost immediately lost 10 pounds without even trying. I'm down to maybe 5 drinks a week now - the upside is, I lost a lot of tolerance. 2-3 beers is a fine evening now.

Do these three simple things, and everything will improve.
Iced tea is a problem?
Iced tea from a fountain at a fast food place most likely has nearly as much sugar/calories as soda

The fish and veggies is certainly healthier for you and has the overall benefit of making you feel better (positive reinforcement) but ultimately it does come down to calories when it comes to weight loss. You can lose weight on a McDonalds diet but you'll feel like #### doing it.
Mostly true, but the types of calories actually do matter. The more efficient your body runs, the higher your metabolism. Then factor in certain foods are better for building muscle, and the the formation of muscle along with existing muscle helps burn more calories while at rest.

If you are a heavier person and you eat X number of calories of good nutritious foods as opposed to the same number of calories of crap while doing the exact same physical activities, in the long run you will lose more weight on the more nutritious calories.

I'm not into the apps or calorie counting, so I can't help you there, but there are three things you can do to drastically improve your weight:

Breakfast and lunch must change. Nothing will happen until you stop with the fast food twice a day. A cup of yogurt for breakfast, have some nuts around 11am to hold you over, and something reasonable for lunch - preferably something without bread. That's step one.

Step 2 is stop w/ the diet soda and iced tea. Drink water. If you must have flavor, buy some flavored seltzer. Don't drink your calories, and diet soda is horrible for you.

Step three? Alcohol. Cut down. Cut it in half, in fact. That you say you are reading what others drink and saying "well, I'm ok then" is a bit of a clue that yea, you drink too much. I'm 49 and cut my drinking in half about a year ago - just kind of naturally happened, as the buzz just wasn't agreeing with me anymore. I drank like you say you do - only 2 or 3 days a week, a few drinks each time, or maybe 6-8 beers on a Saturday... I was doing maybe 12-15 drinks a week. I cut that in half, and almost immediately lost 10 pounds without even trying. I'm down to maybe 5 drinks a week now - the upside is, I lost a lot of tolerance. 2-3 beers is a fine evening now.

Do these three simple things, and everything will improve.
Iced tea is a problem?
Iced tea from a fountain at a fast food place most likely has nearly as much sugar/calories as soda
Sweet tea sure. Regular iced tea though?? Umm no

Sugar is worse than eating fat. If I hear one more person say they ate a "fat free cake" or some crap I will smack them upside the head. Sgar, especially simple sugar, turns to fat way too easily.
Yep. This is why all those people cramming into frozen yogurt stores thinking they're eating something "healthier" than ice cream are getting fatter than they would if they had eaten ice cream. Ice cream has a lot of fat in it, which is why it has so many calories... but because frozen yogurt doesn't a ton of sugar is added to frozen yogurt to make it taste good. You eat less calories choosing frozen yogurt over ice cream, but the frozen yogurt spikes your insulin more than ice cream does, turning your body into a fat producing machine, which then of course your body comes crashing down from a few hours later and you're starved. If you have a craving for a frozen treat that just won't go away, avoid the frozen yogurt, and get some fat filled, calorie ladened ice cream instead. It's not healthy, but it's not as bad as frozen yogurt is.

Isn't this like "cutting down" on a drug problem?
You have to meet people where they are. If you introduce large radical changes from the onset you doom them to failure, eventually. You don't get out of shape quickly, you don't get back into it either. It's a series of slow but steady lifestyle changes.

Users who are viewing this thread