What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

I need help losing weight and getting back in shape (1 Viewer)

Sometimes twice, but usually 3.

Also, wanted to respond to whoever took the time to look up Runza's menu. Runza is famous for their german Runza type sandwiches, huge bread pockets filled with hamburger, cabbage, onions, etc. They also make them in swiss mushroom and other occasional varieties. I'm sure they're absolutely TERRIBLE for you, although delicious. Their hamburgers and grilled chicken sandwiches are all of the homemade variety, and, I think, much better for you than say McD's or BK.

I had the light italian dressing with my side salad. I believe it was 50 calories, had 7 grams of sugar.

"Fighting weight" just a figure of speech. I just want to be healthy and not overweight. I want my blood work to not require the doctor to have to prescribe anything. You listed everything you ate today and it was mostly awful. You're saying today was a good day? Where were the vegetables? I'm just trying to help. It's frustrating to read this.

"Fighting weight" just a figure of speech. I just want to be healthy and not overweight. I want my blood work to not require the doctor to have to prescribe anything. You listed everything you ate today and it was mostly awful. You're saying today was a good day? Where were the vegetables? I'm just trying to help. It's frustrating to read this.
Dude, did you not read. He got a side salad.

I'll never eat the way you do, nor do I have a desire to. That would not be an enjoyable life to me. I ate breakfast at home today in liue of McD's. I do not believe that that is or was awful food. Maybe awful to someone who eats granola and juices non stop. Not to a normal American. I also don't believe a grilled chicken sandwich and a side salad are awful. I said tonight I made better choices than I normally would make. Normal would have been a bottle or two of wine and a LOT more of the bad snacks. I believe I can be much healthier and lighter than I am by making better choices and exercising. That's what I'm trying to do.

You #### three times a day???
Unless I'm running short of time, and even then, usually.
Trim that down to one then spend the 5-30 minutes saved per day preparing real food.
I was in a "group nutritionalist setting" a number of years ago, and he really stressed that a "normal, healthy" person would go 3 times a day. I was the only person in the group who did.

I did not realize that it could be a condition of anything. I have a dr appt on Friday. I'll ask him about this.

Consuming less bad stuff while still primarily consuming bad stuff will almost certainly lead to failure.

I started deciding to try to make a change on a day where I had 2 Christmas parties in 3 days. I could have just said eff it, I'll start Jan. 1.

Get off your ### and go make a plan for the rest of the week, so you stop making bad decisions. I have my usual food for tomorrow packed and I added reserves because I may be home late. I may not, but I'm prepared if I am. If I don't end up needing it then it's already there for the next day.

Like the others, not trying to talk myself up or you down, but just saying you want to lose weight and actually putting together a reasonable plan are two completely different things. Go make a plan. Then execute it.

I forgot to put beets on that list. Had some beets today too.
Beets are awesome and one of the healthiest foods you can eat.
beets/carrots/apples are the magic trio when it comes to cholesterol reduction. Eat (or drink in my case) those three things every day and your cholesterol numbers magically improve. Before last year I think I could count on one hand how many times in my life I ate beets. Now I eat them daily.
I could certainly eat an apple and beets every day. Not a fan of raw carrots, at all. The only way I like them.........not healthy, lol. Steamed with I can't believe it's not butter? That would be the only way without a whole lot of butter or brown sugar. It would be easy to add an apple to my food intake every day.

I'll never eat the way you do, nor do I have a desire to. That would not be an enjoyable life to me. I ate breakfast at home today in liue of McD's. I do not believe that that is or was awful food. Maybe awful to someone who eats granola and juices non stop. Not to a normal American. I also don't believe a grilled chicken sandwich and a side salad are awful. I said tonight I made better choices than I normally would make. Normal would have been a bottle or two of wine and a LOT more of the bad snacks. I believe I can be much healthier and lighter than I am by making better choices and exercising. That's what I'm trying to do.
As just a regular FBG, I see the progress. It's a start you guys. He'll likely drop 10-20 lbs. quickly just not eating and drinking excessively, like today. He's aware.

Taking some small steps choice-wise like he said in the initial post. Not cold turkey.

He's got a Dr. appt. scheduled.

It seems he's making some mental progress and translating it to physical change. Choosing a grilled chicken breast and side salad, no matter the preparation or dressing, is a positive step compared to worse choices, triple the volume and alcohol on top.

His attitude is still good. Not overwhelmed.

Small success can lead to more imo. I'd call it a win today if you asked me win/lose/draw. If Gussy was 200 trying to get to 175, I'd probably say a slight loss.

I had pizza on friday and a burger w/ beers on saturday. I don't eat perfectly. I added vegetables to my diet by purchasing a high powered blender. It's doable. I'm proof of that. My life and eating habits are enjoyable. I just don't eat non-stop crap. You asked for advice. You don't want it. Excuse after excuse as to why you can't eat well. You're in your 40's and on BP and cholesterol meds. You're obese by any medical definition. Not trying to beat you up, just pointing out the seriousness of the situation. Eating a moderate amount of crap may be better than eating a massive amount of crap but it's still crap. Maybe I'm being goofed on here and if so, bravo, but it's frustrating to read someone who asks for help about getting in shape and losing weight and yet defends eating how you're eating. Just being honest.

Gussy, my advice is to find a plan and a way of eating that fits your lifestyle, do it and begin charting your progress. If this board helps you do that, fine. But you will confuse yourself and give up if you listen to 20 different people telling you 20 different things.

The truth is that there are many ways to lose weight. Cutting carbs, counting calories, portion control, primal, cutting sugar, etc. Willie Nelson is giving good advice for some, but it's obviously not for you. Don't sweat it and if anyone tells you that you can't succeed because you aren't doing things their way, don't listen to another word they say.

As you know, losing weight requires sacrifice. So the question is WHAT are you going to sacrifice? Look through some of these posts and come up with a plan. Stick to the plan.

It seems to me that you aren't going to give up your social life, your drinking, and your eating out, which includes fast food. So any diet that requires you to do that will frustrate you immensely, unless you are able to completely change your attitude.

I think the diet for you is calorie counting. So make it happen. Get scientific about it. You took a lot of grief earlier for cheeseburger soup. I don't know why. Ground beef is fine. Cheese is fine. Butter is fine. A quick Google search showed me that a cup was around 400 calories. I don't see an issue with that? So don't give up things you don't like . Just eat less.

The problem with counting calories and eating bad, however, is that you will ultimately have a miserable time doing it and likely fail.

Sugar and processed carbs don't satiate you. So when you order the small fry and cheeseburger at McDonald's for 700 calories, you may find that you have come under your dietary goal for the day, but you'll also be starved 2-3 hours later.

Instead you could eat veggies and a fatty steak for 800 calories and go 5-6 hours with zero desire for food.

But if you must have your McDonald's, just understand it will take more willpower, but some do succeed at it. Read the MyFitnessPal message boards. Plenty of success stories.

My tips for successful calorie counting:

1. Intermittent fast. Skip either breakfast or dinner. Skipping breakfast is horrible for some people. I urge you to try it for a week. You'll find that you feel better. Don't let the ol "most important meal of the day" garbage get in your head. You seem like a social eater. So cut out the non-social eating meal. That saves you 300-500 calories a day right there by doing nothing else.

MOP advice about walking. Great advice. Don't start my trying to train like a track athlete. Just get in the habit of walking every day. That will in time lead to more physical activity.

Mix up your calories. If you have a huge party and blow it with a 3,000 calorie day, don't eat the next day until dinner time and have a healthy chicken salad (600 calories or less) as your only meal of the day. It may sound awful but once you get used to fasting you'll kind of enjoy it.

I think you know that the quickest way to lose weight and get in great shape is to eat chicken breasts, veggies and work out 2 hours a day. Very few can keep that up, and you don't seem to mentally be in a place where you are ready to make this commitment. But maybe after 30 pounds of weight loss you will. For now focus on losing weight steadily, and attempt the major lifestyle changes later on.

But as many have pointed out, this does have to be a lifestyle change. The people I know who have successfully lost weight counting calories (longterm) never stop counting, even when they are healthy and fit. They always subconsciously know how many calories are in foods, and how much is too much. Binge-eating just isn't in their lifestyle anymore, aside from vacations or rare events/gatherings.

Which brings me to your big problem. Alcohol. I think you drink way too much and it dooms you to failure. Nothing will kill a diet like alcohol. You lose inhibitions, you forget how many calories you consume, you need food the next day, it's a mess. Get that under control. Empty calories are just the worst when you are trying to lose weight as they don't satiate you at all, and then when you throw intoxication into the mix, you rationalize the burger and fries. Next Thing you know, you've destroyed 4 days of progress and every major cheat (especially unplanned cheats) puts you at high risk of giving up.

You can lose this weight your way. But you seem to just be trying to do better, without really having a plan. Get a plan and execute it. Don't do it for 90 days or for a set period of time, do it for life. But while making that plan, be realistic too. You can do it.

Oh and by the way, I have to give you grief for the "normal American" statement. Practically the entire world thinks the US is a nation of fatties, which is true to a large degree. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I had pizza on friday and a burger w/ beers on saturday. I don't eat perfectly. I added vegetables to my diet by purchasing a high powered blender. It's doable. I'm proof of that. My life and eating habits are enjoyable. I just don't eat non-stop crap. You asked for advice. You don't want it. Excuse after excuse as to why you can't eat well. You're in your 40's and on BP and cholesterol meds. You're obese by any medical definition. Not trying to beat you up, just pointing out the seriousness of the situation. Eating a moderate amount of crap may be better than eating a massive amount of crap but it's still crap. Maybe I'm being goofed on here and if so, bravo, but it's frustrating to read someone who asks for help about getting in shape and losing weight and yet defends eating how you're eating. Just being honest.
Yeo man i agree i with you. Honestly you might get jumped on because I of all people agree with you but I'm 22 and just know my own body limits. I am a normal person not like i am naturally gifted with a super muscular body. If i eat #### food i make sure i work out twice as hard and much as i usually do. By #### food i don't mean fast food either though i just mean like sweets and things high in sugar. Ive earned my body and i am damn proud to say that. Make sure you only eat 3 Solid meal a day and if you get into a strict workout regime change that to 5 or 6 meals a day but cut the calories per meal in half. when you are LOSING WEIGHT YOU WILL ALMOST ALWAYS BE HUNGRY. This is because you stomach is stretched farther than usual and wants to fill up on fat. Ignore this for the first week. Once you start eating healthy foods you will be almost always full all the time. After my each meal which i have 5 times daily I am full even though it isn't as much as what i could physically eat till i was stuffed. Being full and being stuffed are completely different things. As i said before it has to be a lifestyle change and only you can change your body. HOW BAD DO YOU REALLY WANT IT is what it comes down to. If your just like ehhhh well i would like to be fit then well I'm sorry to tell you but you will be fat slob the rest of your life. If you do really care you will change your own lifestyle.

Alcohol sounds like your main problem.

Some people on here make it sound like it's a complete crazy thing to COMPLETELY cut out alcohol, but ya know what, for YOUR specific situation, it just might be a necessity if you actually are serious about getting healthy.

Alcohol is high in calories, makes you hungry, and kills motivation. All three of these are horrible for YOU personally given YOUR situation.

I will go out on a limb here and say that if you completely quit drinking any alcohol for one month, you would see results. You would obviously be taking in around 400-500 or so calories a day less on average (based on how you talk about drinking), you would have less of an urge to snack than you do while you are drinking, and you will likely have more energy and desire to go do some sort of exercising the next day since you wouldn't have had several drinks the day before. You might even have more motivation to prepare meals for yourself.

You make it sound like it is SOOO HARD for you to not drink alcohol with these parties and your friends and blah blah blah. It really is NOT hard to not drink any alcohol, unless you have a drinking problem. It would not mean you are an alcoholic or anything, but it would be a problem if you can't give it up. And not talking about FOREVER either. One month.

Your secondary problem seems to be your knowledge of nutrition. All you need to do here is keep it simple. Eat foods that are healthy. As an adult if you do not know which foods are healthy and which aren't, then your problems might not be fixable.

Anything you prepare yourself (and I dont mean pour out of a can) will have far less sodium, will have less calories, and be more filling. The time it takes you to go through the drive thru at mcdonalds you can whip something up for yourself in the morning, and it will obviously be healthier.

As for exercise, you can set goals. You don't have to go into the gym thinking "i need to work my ### off and lose weight". Pick a few things, see where you are NOW, and set a goal. For example get on the treadmill and see how fast you can go 1 mile. Say for example it is 12 minutes. Set a goal for a week from now to go 11:30. The 11 in another week or two. If you get in the goal setting mind set you might think about it some night when you are about to pound drinks and finger foods and think to yourself "i need to make that 11 minute mark, better limit my intake on the garbage here".

So you can try simply giving up alcohol.

or

you can try eating just healthy stuff, meaning do NOT go out to eat, and NEVER eat fast food

or

you can go with straight exercise where you set goals and hope that it also has a trickle down effect on your other actions.

You do NOT have to go all crazy restrict mode on food and alcohol while exercising 7 times a week for two hours each time. However, you DO need to make drastic changes to how YOU live, because you are on the very unhealthy lifestyle side of the spectrum.

If you are eating fast food/pasta/bagels then you are not in the zone. I do want that stuff. But when you're in the zone it's not that difficult to avoid. You just got to get off it for 3-4 weeks. Sugar cravings go down. Appetite goes down. You start to become satisfied by lower calorie choices.

A bowl of sauteed veggies with a sprinkling of cheese becomes a treat.

But if you are competiting against a sausage mcmuffin daily you have no chance.

Late here, but breakfast is the easiest meal to change. Not going out with lunch friends or your wife at night is a big change. Not stopping at MCDs really isn't.

Time to drink less for a lot of reasons.

Those 2 are the "easiest" changes

Just read a few more posts.

Three craps a day is NOT normal or any sign of "health". Maybe once in a while, but if you take 21 ####s a week then something is NOT right somewhere.

The main advice in here is give up booze? If the dude has to give up delicious fast food and booze, what's the point of living?

You guys are lame.

The main advice in here is give up booze? If the dude has to give up delicious fast food and booze, what's the point of living?

You guys are lame.
Main advice I'm getting is americans eat mcdonalds and not everyone is fat, including people the OP knows personally, so therefore it's ok. Hard to argue with that logic.

On the off chance this isn't fishing, here are some things that helped me:

- try weaning yourself off of sugary drinks (diet Coke, whatever) and onto water by moving gradually to flavored sparkling water and then ultimately to water

- make your own breakfast and lunch. It doesn't need to be elaborate. Oatmeal. A sandwich. Leftovers from the night before. Some fruit. Whatever it is, it's almost surely better for you than McDonalds, Arbys, whatever. I only eat out for lunch during the week if it's some kind of important work function. I keep oatmeal in my desk for a quick bowl in the morning.

- don't add anything to my coffee. Have you looked at what's in the ingredients in those flavored CoffeeMate things?

- meal plan. I grocery shop with dinner planned out for every night of the week.

- have a salty snack habit? I sure do. So here's what I do.....don't buy any salty snacks. My motivation to eat a half bag of Doritos goes down a hell of a lot if I have to get in the car and drive to the store to get em.

- don't drink alcohol except for "special occasions" and Saturdays. I use the term "special occasion" lightly. Some guys are going out for beers after work. Sure, once every few weeks, why not. A buddy is in town on a random Tuesday? Beers. The Bills are playing on a Thursday night? Drink. But if it's your average Wednesday night and I'm at home around the house, no alcohol. None. Water only.

- scour ingredient labels. I'm not bagging on food science because it's kinda amazing, but seriously take a look at some of the food you're eating. I've done my best to eliminate foods where I can't pronounce the ingredients or have no idea what it is. I'm not gonna say it's necessarily bad for you, but I've done a lot of trying to eat food, not foodlike substances (a Pollan thing, again).

It's really not that hard. You don't need to become a machine who eats 8 small meals a day consisting of only almonds and lean chicken breast. But I think you'll start to see results pretty quickly just by following the above. Don't give me that #### about not having time to eat right. I used to say the same thing, and it was a lie. No more excuses.

Grabbed a Smart Ones Turkey Sausage Egg Muffin for breakfast on the way out the door. Processed, yes, fit's in to my calorie requirements and it was easy and close.

One thing I think I'm going to quickly figure out is my sleep habits have a large part in this. Was up late last night after my wife's party, house was hotter than hell, trying to clean some stuff up, broke a freaking plate at 11:30, cut myself on both hands, got pissed off, was probably 12:30 or 1 before I fell asleep, which led to me sleeping until almost 8AM, trying to be to the office by 9, scrambling around, trying to figure something out so I wouldn't go to McD's. I think good night sleep, up earlier = time for exercise, breakfast at home, etc. Now I'll be scrambling trying to fit a walk in, kid has a basketball game at 5, an away game, busy day at work.

I think I need to do a much better job of planning for sure, and we really need to make a trip to the grocery store to get better, easier to get to, things in the house. May try to survive on an apple for lunch, have a 1PM appointment, and the other option is going home and making up some tuna I guess. Initially had thought about trying to hit the store this morning for a yogurt and apple to take to work, and grabbing either a small sirloin or a chicken breast to go home and grill for lunch, but the late start to my day already has my day getting away from me.

Tasker, thanks for the advice. Not fishing at all. Sugary drinks aren't really my problem, outside of sweetener in my coffee. 1-2 diet soda's a week is about it, and giving those up isn't hard for me.

I think good night sleep, up earlier = time for exercise, breakfast at home, etc. Now I'll be scrambling trying to fit a walk in, kid has a basketball game at 5, an away game, busy day at work.
It sounds like you have a busy day, but this is the kind of day when mealplanning works well. Usually 1-2 nights/week I have something to do; tonight I'm working until close to 6 and have plans from 7-8:30. The last thing I'm going to want to do at 8:30 is come home and cook dinner. So last night I made a double-batch of dinner so I have leftovers quick and ready to go when I need it.

Obviously this won't help you this week, but it's something you can work on. If your wife is as good a cook as you say, she can definitely whip up some healthier recipes. She can still make the baked goods and the rich creamy heavy comfort foods sometimes, but not every day. There are a ton of "30 minute meals" and "quick easy recipes" websites out there. They're usually geared towards working mothers and women in general, but they've been a godsend for me.

Yeo man i agree i with you. Honestly you might get jumped on because I of all people agree with you but I'm 22 and just know my own body limits. I am a normal person not like i am naturally gifted with a super muscular body. If i eat #### food i make sure i work out twice as hard and much as i usually do. By #### food i don't mean fast food either though i just mean like sweets and things high in sugar. Ive earned my body and i am damn proud to say that. Make sure you only eat 3 Solid meal a day and if you get into a strict workout regime change that to 5 or 6 meals a day but cut the calories per meal in half. when you are LOSING WEIGHT YOU WILL ALMOST ALWAYS BE HUNGRY. This is because you stomach is stretched farther than usual and wants to fill up on fat. Ignore this for the first week. Once you start eating healthy foods you will be almost always full all the time. After my each meal which i have 5 times daily I am full even though it isn't as much as what i could physically eat till i was stuffed. Being full and being stuffed are completely different things. As i said before it has to be a lifestyle change and only you can change your body. HOW BAD DO YOU REALLY WANT IT is what it comes down to. If your just like ehhhh well i would like to be fit then well I'm sorry to tell you but you will be fat slob the rest of your life. If you do really care you will change your own lifestyle.
IMO if you've eaten poorly for a long time then you need to shock your body by fasting for a day or two. It's very difficult but it's amazing how much of a difference it makes in regards to feeling satiated. Your stomach gets used to a certain amount of food in order to feel full, but if you can give it a break you will notice a huge difference in the amount of food it takes for you to not feel hungry.

If fasting is too difficult then try eating 100-200 calorie snacks throughout the day. 200 calories x 10 times a day = 2000 calories and you will feel like you are always eating and not depriving yourself.

My wife is very capable of making good, healthy meals, she works a ton, which is a lot of the problem. When we did the Dukan diet, which is similar to South Beach, she was great at making different mustards and things to put on top of sauteed chicken breast or lean sirloin and things to jazz it up. She'd substitute quinoa for rice and pasta, that type of thing. She's started with the trainer, has had 2 sessions, but I don't see any difference with her eating habits. She was snacking away last night. I will say that she doesn't eat (or drink) near as much as me. I feel bad for her, I'm sure it's the "being a woman", because she certainly doesn't eat large quantities, and she's gained also. I think for her it's been more of the "having a husband who appreciates her cooking", and her lifestyle has changed. When she got divorced she did what all mid 30's divorcees do, work on the body, exercise all the time, trying to find a man, lol. When I met her she was 5'6, weighed in the low 130's, sporting 36 C's. Now the C's are DD's, but that comes at a price, lol.

Read the 4 hour body.

Give it two weeks, that should be easy, right?

Alright dude, I'm going to give you a simple, straightforward plan to lose weight.

Step 1, Worry about calories only. Not macros or sugar or ingredients, calories only. Of course you should mix in veggies and healthy food, but calories are they key to losing weight.

Step 2, evaluate your results not daily, but weekly. If you're successful 5 days and unsuccessful 2 days, it's likely you'll still be good for the week.

Step 3, mix in some low impact exercise like walking a couple of times/week.

Here's the plan, your TDEE (basically the calories you burn just being alive and going about life with no exercise) is around 2,450/day. Your goal should be to consume between 500 - 750 calories fewer than this per day. So that gives you an allocation of in the neighborhood of 1,800 calories per day. I don't care where your calories come from, if you stay around 1,800/day, you'll lose weight. Next, the booze, you have got to limit it to no more than 2x/week max. Even limiting it this much can still cause problems for you. Say on the two days you booze, your calories increase to 4,000/day. These two days alone result in a 3,100 calorie excess, eating up all but 650 calories of the other five days (assuming you average 1,800/day). Now here's where the walking comes in. For every 1/2 hour you walk at a reasonable pace, assume you'll burn around 100 calories. Say you walk 2.5 hours/week, that's an additional burn of 500 calories which would give you a 1,150 calorie deficit for the week. This is with going off the rails twice. Not a huge deficit but a deficit nonethelss. In enough time, you'll reach your goals. If you can limit the damage on the booze days or walk more, you'll have even better results.

I always think in terms of not trying to be perfect but for every step back, take three forward.

By the time summer comes you won't recognize yourself.

IMO if you've eaten poorly for a long time then you need to shock your body by fasting for a day or two. It's very difficult but it's amazing how much of a difference it makes in regards to feeling satiated. Your stomach gets used to a certain amount of food in order to feel full, but if you can give it a break you will notice a huge difference in the amount of food it takes for you to not feel hungry.
Your body also goes in to fat storing mode when it feels deprived.

All this talk of food made me so hungry I had to go to McDonald's. if you have not tried what I am going to post I urge you not to as it could get addictive. But if you find yourself breaking all your food laws and in line at McDonald's give this a try. Keep in mind they serve breakfast now.

-Order the #2 which I think is a double cb most places. Ask them to add a ROUND egg on the burger. Round eggs are the only actual eggs McD's serves, in fact it might be the only real food in the whole place. Add the round egg and then add the 2 strips of bacon, I have them 86 the pickles.

-Next you want to substitute the fries for a hash brown. Take the burger with egg on it and flip it over and pull off the bun. Lay the hash brown under the burger and you are just about ready to bite down. You will need to squeeze it a little to get it all in your mouth but you have a brunch burger there that will taste better than the way you normally get a ff burger.

I know I'm terrible but I didn't want to fire up a whole thread on it.

-Another is to take a McGriddle and have them put the southern chix from the breakfast menu in it instead, dip in the syrup and you got Roscoe's fast food chix n pancakes.

But don't eat this stuff, it's really bad for you.

Users who are viewing this thread