What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

I need help losing weight and getting back in shape (1 Viewer)

I am 100% convinced that the secret to losing weight has everything to do with time management.

Make it so your life isn't a rat race and it actually becomes quite easy to eat extremely healthy. Cooking takes a pretty long time if you want to really keep a lot of variety and healthy options. Nothing wrong with it taking time. It is a great family activity.

We make fun meals all the time that are quite intricate and extremely healthy and taste awesome. The calorie counts are extremely low and they are very filling. It takes a long time though.

ETA another nice advantage of making meals like this is that you are active and on your feet. Between the stove, the grill, and the oven and the chopping island(routinely use all of them in a meal), I get in a heck of a lot of steps and can even get a sweat going.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am 100% convinced that the secret to losing weight has everything to do with time management.

Make it so your life isn't a rat race and it actually becomes quite easy to eat extremely healthy. Cooking takes a pretty long time if you want to really keep a lot of variety and healthy options. Nothing wrong with it taking time. It is a great family activity.

We make fun meals all the time that are quite intricate and extremely healthy and taste awesome. The calorie counts are extremely low and they are very filling. It takes a long time though.

ETA another nice advantage of making meals like this is that you are active and on your feet. Between the stove, the grill, and the oven and the chopping island(routinely use all of them in a meal), I get in a heck of a lot of steps and can even get a sweat going.
:goodposting:

Preparation prevents piss poor performance.

Had the granola for breakfast today. When I first put a 1/4 cup in my bowl I thought, no way. I ended up putting maybe 1/3 in my bowl. Didn't look like much, but I ate an hour and a half ago and I'm pretty content. Day off for me for the most part so today should be easier. Probably hang out the house until late morning, eat my leftovers from last night and go in to Omaha to do some Christmas shopping. Good day to take care of wife's birthday (Saturday) and Christmas gift since I'm off and she's not. Just have to avoid those food courts. Also, yesterday was no booze Tuesday.

Regarding time management, I went to the gym at 5:30 this morning, I usually never go this early, it was odd once I was there it was like the time didn't matter, perhaps this is a good choice for gussy. Get up early, go to the gym, get it out of the way so there is no excuse later in the day to not go to the gym. Then you have to go to bed earlier to get up earlier, so there is less time for late night drinking. Win win.

Had the granola for breakfast today. When I first put a 1/4 cup in my bowl I thought, no way. I ended up putting maybe 1/3 in my bowl. Didn't look like much, but I ate an hour and a half ago and I'm pretty content. Day off for me for the most part so today should be easier. Probably hang out the house until late morning, eat my leftovers from last night and go in to Omaha to do some Christmas shopping. Good day to take care of wife's birthday (Saturday) and Christmas gift since I'm off and she's not. Just have to avoid those food courts. Also, yesterday was no booze Tuesday.
Eat it out of a coffee mug. Hang in there, man.

Regarding time management, I went to the gym at 5:30 this morning, I usually never go this early, it was odd once I was there it was like the time didn't matter, perhaps this is a good choice for gussy. Get up early, go to the gym, get it out of the way so there is no excuse later in the day to not go to the gym. Then you have to go to bed earlier to get up earlier, so there is less time for late night drinking. Win win.
It absolutely works for some people. Don't force it though. Some people just aren't wired to workout consistently first thing in the morning (guilty). If it isn't working 4-8 weeks from now then adjust.

Learn what fills you up and makes you content. The key here is that you don't want to break. If you find that eating granola causes you to be hungrier or doesn't leave you content, find something else. I have a serious problem with breakfast because it doesn't matter what I eat, (unless I completely stuff myself), it doesn't satisfy my hunger. Which is why I rarely eat breakfast. Yeah, you may wake up hungry, but when you move on and get out of the habit, you'll generally be pretty content. Your body has plenty of fuel in it, and that long period of fasting between dinner and lunch is quite helpful, imo. Plus it gives you the option to have a little bit more food for lunch or dinner and get that "full feeling" which is important for me.

James Daulton said:
Step 1, Worry about calories only. Not macros or sugar or ingredients, calories only. Of course you should mix in veggies and healthy food, but calories are they key to losing weight.
A diet of 2000 calories from 2000 calories of sugar has a vastly different response by the body than a diet of 2000 calories with only 200 calories from sugar. Likewise a diet with 500 calories of sugar affects the body different than a diet of 200 calories of sugar.

If you want proof, then just recall the anti-fat campaign that hit our culture in the 80's, where food manufactures replaced the fat in food with sugar to make it "low fat" and "no fat". The result was society got even fatter.
This isn't an argument against counting calories. Our society consumed more calories and got fatter.
With all the fat being removed from food, we should have been eating less calories given removing one gram of fat saves 9 calories where as adding a gram of sugar adds 4 calories. But you're right, we ate more calories. Why? Because the body overreacts to excess amounts of sugar in our body by storing it as fat as quick as possible. This causes you to get hungry sooner, which causes you to eat more.

James Daulton said:
Step 1, Worry about calories only. Not macros or sugar or ingredients, calories only. Of course you should mix in veggies and healthy food, but calories are they key to losing weight.
A diet of 2000 calories from 2000 calories of sugar has a vastly different response by the body than a diet of 2000 calories with only 200 calories from sugar. Likewise a diet with 500 calories of sugar affects the body different than a diet of 200 calories of sugar.

If you want proof, then just recall the anti-fat campaign that hit our culture in the 80's, where food manufactures replaced the fat in food with sugar to make it "low fat" and "no fat". The result was society got even fatter.
This isn't an argument against counting calories. Our society consumed more calories and got fatter.
With all the fat being removed from food, we should have been eating less calories given removing one gram of fat saves 9 calories where as adding a gram of sugar adds 4 calories. But you're right, we ate more calories. Why? Because the body overreacts to excess amounts of sugar in our body by storing it as fat as quick as possible. This causes you to get hungry sooner, which causes you to eat more.
:wall:

James Daulton said:

Why would you say that? Fat consumption is up nearly 60% since 1950. The growth in fat consumption has never abated, even in the face of snackwells and others.

I circuit train in the morning 6:45 AM M-F Non negotiable. I do it in my own home. If I don't work out in the morning I don't feel right. Once you start doing it and make it a habit your life will change for the better.

It really is amazing what happens once you have kids, etc. Time management becomes so much more vital. But again just 30 minutes a day is all you need of good constant exercise. I think Circuit training with dumb bells (I use 5 lb weights that's it) is amazing. Simple, fast, easy.

Done.

If you can't give your body 30 minutes a day of real exercise you're just cheating yourself. It can change your life physically and mentally. I am blown away how people just don't move. Now we have those freaking hover board things like in Wall-E

I love to eat like everyone else. I enjoy great food. But once you hit your mid 30's things really change. I am 45. I can't eat like I used too. Even though I am active and healthy, I still watch. Do I indulge? Oh yeah absolutely. I don't need to look like Mr Olympia. But I want to maintain my weight and more importantly my BMI, triglycerides, and bad cholesterol at healthy levels. True heart rate and light dumb bell exercise, 30 minutes, no breaks will do wonders for your body and mind!!!!

45 years old

5'10'

187 pounds.

34 waste

I feel really good.

The highest I let myself get was 215 LBS and that was 5 years ago. In high school I was 175 pounds at my peak of physical fitness and playing baseball and tennis year round. So I feel great about my weight here. My back and core feel strong. But I had to change my lifestyle. I had to stop eating crap, stop eating out a lot, bring my lunch to work, and get off my ### and move, and work out again. Playing men's 30 and older open baseball is not enough (that is what I have been doing since age 31 as a constant). I kept telling myself I was active, but playing 9 innings week on Sunday was not active. I was fooling myself.

It's all about diet and exercise. It's not rocket science. Move. Just move and push yourself. You have to want it. You will feel 10 years younger just doing 30 minutes a day 5 days a week. And eating right. That's all it takes. No special diets, no starving yourself, no special shakes. Just common sense. You know what's bad for you. You know whats good for you.

Stop eating out all the time. It's huge. The amount of sodium and butter and just bad crap they put in your food....it's insane. If you can eat right for a month, then go out to eat and indulge in a basket of wings or a burger...you will flip out how salty that food tastes.

My biggest weakness is burgers, fries, wings and ribs (like any man). And I loved Coke as a young teen and in my 20's. Do I still enjoy that? Oh hell yes of course.

When I have a burger at say a place like Five Guys (for example) I get the single, without cheese, lettuce, tomato, jalapeno's, raw onions, no mayo. Just some mustard and ketchup. I get a small fry that I split with my buddy, and unsweetened Iced Tea. And I eat slow. That cures my craving easily. I do that once a month. When I have that very rare coke or cherry coke....dear lord the sugar!!! It's crazy. But it does taste really good and is a real treat instead of the norm.

Just manage yourself. You can still eat some foods you love. I surely do. But first...get to your goal weight. That takes hard work (exercise) discipline and a commitment to a lifestyle change. By the time you get to your personal goals your going to feel so good you will not even think about all the #### you had been eating. It will not feel right. The first time you eat a heavy meal post goal weight you even get sick from it. You won't clean your plate. In fact you will be blown away how big portions are in this country and how you could have ever finished the portions in the past. It's an amazing transformation.

You can do it!!!

James Daulton said:

Why would you say that? Fat consumption is up nearly 60% since 1950. The growth in fat consumption has never abated, even in the face of snackwells and others.
I know fat consumption is up significantly in the past couple decades, and will continue to significantly grow, because many are realizing the "low fat" diet recommendations that overwhelmed the 70's/80's were wrong, so people are adding fats back into their diets. I didn't know it is now exceeding 50's level consumption, but it makes complete sense that that would be true. People are realizing it's the sugar and simple carbs that body is overreacting to, turning their body into fat production and making them hungrier. When you cut down on sugar and simple carbs, you are going to eat more protein and fat.

My story...hope it helps...

THE PROBLEM: I'm a fairly big framed guy (played LB in college). I ballooned to 265 lbs 4 weeks ago. Way too heavy at 46 years old. I considered myself a total fatass because, well, I was. Blood pressure was 165/120 which probably means I should be dead. Cholesterol was over 220.

THE CHANGES: Here's what I did on the advice of a friend...

Eating - I started by adding 2 meal replacement shakes each day. There are all kinds of meal replacement shakes on the market. No need to buy into online scams. Get the GNC Total Lean Shakes. Do not buy the bottled ones except for emergency use. They give lots of people headaches. Get the powder form, the chocolates are excellent. 1 scoop into blender, mix with a tiny bit of milk, ice, and water. It tastes awesome and runs about 180 calories with a nice blend of vitamins and protein. To vary it up I'll add peanut butter, cinnamon, banana, etc. I have one at 9 am, and one more anytime during the day. If the second one is at lunch I'll also have a baked potato, fruit or sandwich - something between 200-400 calories because I found I wasn't getting enough carbs. The beauty is I'm never hungry. I do not understand why, but it seems to be because of the vitamins and protein in the shake. I used to stuff myself with McDs, pizza, and all kinds of bad crap at lunch. The shake combined with some carbs is totally fulfilling. I also was able to cut out my 5 Coke a day habit completely. No idea why. Just don't enjoy them anymore. I think it's because I had a habit of having a drink of any kind, and the shake now serves that purpose. The caffeine withdrawal headaches were brutal for 2 days, then went away totally. At dinner I just try to be reasonable but with so few calories eaten by then I don't feel compelled to skimp much. Do stay away from too much red meat, which seems to bloat the midsection. I also added a vegetable. I try not to snack before bedtime, but I admit it's tough if I'm up past 10 pm, especially watching TV. Frankly I try to get in bed by 9:30 because my skinny wife it pretty revved up due to my success. The point is, everyone has to find something that lowers their calorie intake. This meal replacement shake is BY FAR the best thing to ever work for me.

Monitoring - I recommend the free Fitness Pal app. I had used it before on Atkins when I dropped a bunch, but Atkins is crazy to live on for a long period and I was always starving and finally gave up. But now I find the app very helpful for a different reason. It lets me know how much more I need to eat at night. Pretty much every day I've only eaten 600 calories by 4 pm. My target according to the app is 1800 which I almost never hit. But it reminds me to eat carbs, which I'm always light on.

RESULTS: After 4 weeks I'm down to 235. And I'm still never hungry. I'm pretty sure I can take it to 220 pounds or less, which is pretty good for my build. Blood pressure has dropped to 130/90. A lot of the fat has come off in my midsection. I've dropped from a 42 to 38 waist. So still fat but not ridiculous.

OTHER ADVICE THAT HAS WORKED FOR ME, AND MAY OR MAY NOT HELP:

1. DON'T eat breakfast. Possibly the biggest load of crappy nutritional advice thrusted upon the overweight adult is that they need breakfast. Total BS. The later I start eating, the easier the day goes. You don't need breakfast to have energy for the day. I can actually skip the shake and be fine until noon. If you are trying to lose weight, chances are your body has tons of energy stored up. It doesn't need to refuel in the morning. For my kids or maybe fit adults that hit the gym, I get that they need breakfast because they expend a lot of energy. But for the overweight person that rushes off to work and sits at a desk, it only makes you more hungry and adds calories.

2. Exercise is optional - Consumption is 95% of the key to losing weight. Obviously exercise helps, but what you consume is BY FAR the biggest factor in losing weight, and often the exercise just makes one more hungry.

3. Eat vegetables. I hate most of them so this is tough. But I've nailed down about 5 vegetables I can stand that come canned or in those steamer packs (corn, peas, butter beans, black eyed peas, etc). I wish I liked some of the ruffage ones, but my palate can't deal with them.

4. Drink lots of water. The more water you drink, the fuller you feel and the more you pee and poop. It gets the crap (literally) out of your body.

Good luck to all trying to slim down!

THE PROBLEM: I'm a fairly big framed guy (played LB in college). I ballooned to 265 lbs 4 weeks ago. Way too heavy at 46 years old. I considered myself a total fatass because, well, I was. Blood pressure was 165/120 which probably means I should be dead. Cholesterol was over 220.

Eating - I started by adding 2 meal replacement shakes each day. There are all kinds of meal replacement shakes on the market. No need to buy into online scams. Get the GNC Total Lean Shakes. Do not buy the bottled ones except for emergency use. They give lots of people headaches. Get the powder form, the chocolates are excellent. 1 scoop into blender, mix with a tiny bit of milk, ice, and water. It tastes awesome and runs about 180 calories with a nice blend of vitamins and protein. To vary it up I'll add peanut butter, cinnamon, banana, etc. I have one at 9 am, and one more anytime during the day. If the second one is at lunch I'll also have a baked potato, fruit or sandwich - something between 200-400 calories because I found I wasn't getting enough carbs. The beauty is I'm never hungry. I do not understand why, but it seems to be because of the vitamins and protein in the shake. I used to stuff myself with McDs, pizza, and all kinds of bad crap at lunch. The shake combined with some carbs is totally fulfilling. I also was able to cut out my 5 Coke a day habit completely. No idea why. Just don't enjoy them anymore. I think it's because I had a habit of having a drink of any kind, and the shake now serves that purpose. The caffeine withdrawal headaches were brutal for 2 days, then went away totally. At dinner I just try to be reasonable but with so few calories eaten by then I don't feel compelled to skimp much. Do stay away from too much red meat, which seems to bloat the midsection. I also added a vegetable. I try not to snack before bedtime, but I admit it's tough if I'm up past 10 pm, especially watching TV. Frankly I try to get in bed by 9:30 because my skinny wife it pretty revved up due to my success. The point is, everyone has to find something that lowers their calorie intake. This meal replacement shake is BY FAR the best thing to ever work for me.

Monitoring - I recommend the free Fitness Pal app. I had used it before on Atkins when I dropped a bunch, but Atkins is crazy to live on for a long period and I was always starving and finally gave up. But now I find the app very helpful for a different reason. It lets me know how much more I need to eat at night. Pretty much every day I've only eaten 600 calories by 4 pm. My target according to the app is 1800 which I almost never hit. But it reminds me to eat carbs, which I'm always light on.

RESULTS: After 4 weeks I'm down to 235. And I'm still never hungry. I'm pretty sure I can take it to 220 pounds or less, which is pretty good for my build. Blood pressure has dropped to 130/90. A lot of the fat has come off in my midsection. I've dropped from a 42 to 38 waist. So still fat but not ridiculous.

1. DON'T eat breakfast. Possibly the biggest load of crappy nutritional advice thrusted upon the overweight adult is that they need breakfast. Total BS. The later I start eating, the easier the day goes. You don't need breakfast to have energy for the day. I can actually skip the shake and be fine until noon. If you are trying to lose weight, chances are your body has tons of energy stored up. It doesn't need to refuel in the morning. For my kids or maybe fit adults that hit the gym, I get that they need breakfast because they expend a lot of energy. But for the overweight person that rushes off to work and sits at a desk, it only makes you more hungry and adds calories.

2. Exercise is optional - Consumption is 95% of the key to losing weight. Obviously exercise helps, but what you consume is BY FAR the biggest factor in losing weight, and often the exercise just makes one more hungry.

3. Eat vegetables. I hate most of them so this is tough. But I've nailed down about 5 vegetables I can stand that come canned or in those steamer packs (corn, peas, butter beans, black eyed peas, etc). I wish I liked some of the ruffage ones, but my palate can't deal with them.

4. Drink lots of water. The more water you drink, the fuller you feel and the more you pee and poop. It gets the crap (literally) out of your body.

Totally bad advise IMO. Just bad.

Tell me how you do once you get off the shakes. Tell me how you're going to eat again. I realize you got really heavy and wanted to lose weight fast. Mission accomplished. But what are you going to do to keep it off, what are you going to do when your muscles shrink, and tighten and give you aches and pains because you don't exercise them.

Lifestyle change. If you can't live a healthy lifestyle, you will be doing fad shake diets, or whatever. I disagree about breakfast. The most important meal of your day is breakfast. You sleep 6,7,8 hours. You need to fuel your body in the morning and get your metabolism going.

I have raw food shakes 4-5 days a week for breakfast. I am talking real raw food.

Kale, spinach, grapefruit, goji berries, strawberries, blue berries, pecans or almonds, black berries, bananna, etc I have many different recipes. Plus adding good vitamin supplements in the shake. Either way these real raw food shakes changed my life. My energy level and mental sharpness is beyond great. My immune system is strong. I rarely if ever get sick. Seriously. I may have had a serious cold once in the last 3-4 years. I am talking the flu bed ridden fever type. It's been a long time.

Breakfast is non negotiable for me. It kick starts my body and my mind. Fuel your body. When I don't shake I have a simple bowl of good old cheerios and fresh berries. Maybe one scrambled egg along with that. I graze all day on healthy foods. I am never overly hungry and my metabolism works all day.

Exercise - use them or lose them. If you don't exercise, your body and mind will suffer in the long run. Yeah you can lose weight drinking shakes, fad diets whatever. But trust me...you're going to gain it back the moment you ween yourself off of them and fall back into the eating habits you had. You need to re train your body. When you do 30 minutes a day of regular exercise your using your muscles, which will thank you and your waistline. Not only that, you're exercising your heart man. That muscle is the most important. Also your back and mid section. Super important. When you just do light dumb bell (3-5 lbs!!) mixed with cardio you're burning fat and build lean muscle. There is nothing healthier for your body and metabolism. You want to feed your muscles. Not starve them.

Your story sounds great....but it is not a long term solution. Just my opinion of course. Living on shakes is not a long term answer.

If you coupled that with a great exercise program, then you could ween yourself off the shakes and eat healthy, because your body is being worked and will burn whatever you feed it. Yeah you don't need exercise to lose weight. But you need it to keep it off and eat like a normal person again. And more importantly to stay strong, healthy and feel great.

You want to be able to eat again right? I mean you would like to eat a normal breakfast, lunch and dinner and not a shake right? You can't change your lifestyle if you don't really commit to eating right and exercising.

There is no magic bullet. Good luck. I hope you succeed. But you're going to have to get off the shakes at some point and eat a normal diet and maintain your weight in the real world. You can't live on that stuff man. It never works.

Old fashioned sweat and working hard and a good diet. That is the only thing I know that works 100% and is permanent.

Tell me how you do once you get off the shakes. Tell me how your going to eat again. I realize you got really heavy and wanted to lose weight fast. Mission accomplished. But what are you going to do to keep it off, what are you going to do when your muscles shrink, and tighten and give you aches and pains because you don't exercise them.

Lifestyle change. If you can;t live a healthy lifestyle, you will be doing fad shake diets, or whatever. I disagree about breakfast. The most important meal of your day is breakfast. You sleep 6,7,8 hours. You need to fuel your body in the morning and get your metabolism going.

I have raw food shakes 4-5 days a week for breakfast. I am talking real raw food.

Kale, spinach, grapefruit, goji berries, strawberries, blue berries, pecans or almonds, black berries, bananna, etc I have many different recipes. Plus adding good vitamin supplements in the shake. Either way these real raw food shakes changed my life. My energy level and mental sharpness is beyond great. My immune system is strong. I rarely if ever get sick. Seriously. I may have had a serious cold once in the last 3-4 years. I am talking the flu bed ridden fever type. It's been a long time.

Breakfast is non negotiable for me. it kick starts my body and my mind. Fuel your body. When I don't shake I have a simple bowl of good old cheerios and fresh berries. maybe one scrambled egg along with that. I graze all day on healthy foods. I am never overly hungry and my metabolism works all day.

Exercise - use them or lose them. If you don't exercise your body and mind will suffer in the long run. yeah you can lose weight drinking shakes, fad diets whatever. But trust me...your going to gain it back the moment you ween yourself off of them and fall back into the eating habits you had. You need to re train your body. When you do 30 minutes a day of regular exercise your using your muscles, which will thank you and your waistline. Not only that, your exercising your heart man. That muscle is the most important. Also your back and mid section. Super important. When you just do light dumb bell (3-5 lbs!!) mixed with cardio your burning fat and build lean muscle. There is nothing healthier for your body and metabolism. You want to feed your muscles. Not starve them.

Your story sounds great....but it is not a long term solution. Just my opinion of course. Living on shakes is not a long term answer.

If you coupled that with a great exercise program, then you could ween yourself off the shakes and eat healthy, because your body is being worked and will burn whatever you feed it. yeah you don't need exercise to lose weight. But you need it to keep it off and eat like a normal person again. And more importantly to stay strong, healthy and feel great.

You want to be able to eat again right? I mean you would like to eat a normal breakfast, lunch and dinner and not a shake right? You can't change your lifestyle if you don't really commit to eating right and exercising.

There is no magic bullet. Good luck. I hope you succeed. But you going to have to get off the shakes at some point and eat a normal diet and maintain your weight in the real world. You can't live on that stuff man. It never works.

Old fashioned sweat and working hard and a good diet. That is the only thing I know that works 100% and is permanent.
His advice is fine. What is it with half of the people in here ridiculing others for their advice. There's nothing wrong with skipping breakfast. It doesn't fuel the body for the day, it doesn't boost metabolism, none of that junk. For you it may be great. For others, it's a complete waste. Me personally, my 11AM-10PM hunger is exactly the same whether I eat breakfast at 7-8 or not. .

I agree with skipping breakfast. It really won't kill any of us fatties to go 12-15 hours without eating. Water and black coffee, boom.

Tell me how you do once you get off the shakes. Tell me how your going to eat again. I realize you got really heavy and wanted to lose weight fast. Mission accomplished. But what are you going to do to keep it off, what are you going to do when your muscles shrink, and tighten and give you aches and pains because you don't exercise them.

Lifestyle change. If you can;t live a healthy lifestyle, you will be doing fad shake diets, or whatever. I disagree about breakfast. The most important meal of your day is breakfast. You sleep 6,7,8 hours. You need to fuel your body in the morning and get your metabolism going.

Breakfast is non negotiable for me. it kick starts my body and my mind. Fuel your body. When I don't shake I have a simple bowl of good old cheerios and fresh berries. maybe one scrambled egg along with that. I graze all day on healthy foods. I am never overly hungry and my metabolism works all day.

Exercise - use them or lose them. If you don't exercise your body and mind will suffer in the long run. yeah you can lose weight drinking shakes, fad diets whatever. But trust me...your going to gain it back the moment you ween yourself off of them and fall back into the eating habits you had. You need to re train your body. When you do 30 minutes a day of regular exercise your using your muscles, which will thank you and your waistline. Not only that, your exercising your heart man. That muscle is the most important. Also your back and mid section. Super important. When you just do light dumb bell (3-5 lbs!!) mixed with cardio your burning fat and build lean muscle. There is nothing healthier for your body and metabolism. You want to feed your muscles. Not starve them.

If you coupled that with a great exercise program, then you could ween yourself off the shakes and eat healthy, because your body is being worked and will burn whatever you feed it. yeah you don't need exercise to lose weight. But you need it to keep it off and eat like a normal person again. And more importantly to stay strong, healthy and feel great.

There is no magic bullet. Good luck. I hope you succeed. But you going to have to get off the shakes at some point and eat a normal diet and maintain your weight in the real world. You can't live on that stuff man. It never works.

His advice is fine. What is it with half of the people in here ridiculing others for their advice. There's nothing wrong with skipping breakfast. It doesn't fuel the body for the day, it doesn't boost metabolism, none of that junk. For you it may be great. For others, it's a complete waste. Me personally, my 11AM-10PM hunger is exactly the same whether I eat breakfast at 7-8 or not. .
Perspective is different from those who strive 'to be healthy' rather than their weight be a certain number. Good health and weight are absolutely co-related and anyone who is over weight will improve their health by reducing that number, but that doesn't necessarily mean you're 'healthy.' I don't know (m)any healthy people that exercise and eat well that skip breakfast. I can't name a single client of mine that's been successful by exercising minimally and not watching what they eat; only how much they eat. The ones that have tried are often more stressed, sleep deprived, and as a result exercise poorly due to lack of energy.

Breakfast is probably my favorite meal of the day. It gets skipped occasionally, which leads me to eating like a cow at lunch.

Who the hell is ridiculing? We are having a discussion. I did not talk down or be harsh. I just shared my opinion. Which is different than his. And he is losing weight with his desired method. Great. My point is, it will not last. I still disagree with you on breakfast.

Science can always change their opinions as well. It's goes on and on.

And for me when I skip breakfast.....I don't feel nearly as energized as I do when I have a sensible breakfast to kick start my day. And I need it because I work out early in the morning. I need fuel. Again lifestyle change. If you can commit to a healthy lifestyle....you won't go back. Your life will change for the better.

Anyway.

Perspective is different from those who strive 'to be healthy' rather than their weight be a certain number. Good health and weight are absolutely co-related and anyone who is over weight will improve their health by reducing that number, but that doesn't necessarily mean you're 'healthy.' I don't know (m)any healthy people that exercise and eat well that skip breakfast. I can't name a single client of mine that's been successful by exercising minimally and not watching what they eat; only how much they eat. The ones that have tried are often more stressed, sleep deprived, and as a result exercise poorly due to lack of energy.
Right on man. And same with me. I don't know anyone who is truly fit and healthy that skips breakfast. I can't imagine that for myself. Do we skip breakfast sometimes here and there due to circumstance? Yeah of course. But out of 365 days of the year I may skip breakfast 10 of those days due to circumstance (wake up late, need to rush out for a rare early early meeting) even then I pop an apple or banana down while driving just to get something in me.

Totally bad advise IMO. Just bad.Tell me how you do once you get off the shakes. Tell me how your going to eat again. I realize you got really heavy and wanted to lose weight fast. Mission accomplished. But what are you going to do to keep it off, what are you going to do when your muscles shrink, and tighten and give you aches and pains because you don't exercise them.

Right on man. And same with me. I don't know anyone who is truly fit and healthy that skips breakfast. I can't imagine that for myself. Do we skip breakfast sometimes here and there due to circumstance? Yeah of course. But out of 365 days of the year I may skip breakfast 10 of those days due to circumstance (wake up late, need to rush out for a rare early early meeting) even then I pop an apple or banana down while driving just to get something in me.
There are people who have had great success skipping breakfast...even multiple people in the FFA. Google intermittent fasting. It does indeed work.

That being said, your can definitely lose weight perfectly fine by eating breakfast. It's really all about finding what works for you.

Let's not confuse or sway Gussy.

Totally bad advise IMO. Just bad.Tell me how you do once you get off the shakes. Tell me how your going to eat again. I realize you got really heavy and wanted to lose weight fast. Mission accomplished. But what are you going to do to keep it off, what are you going to do when your muscles shrink, and tighten and give you aches and pains because you don't exercise them.

There are people who have had great success skipping breakfast...even multiple people in the FFA. Google intermittent fasting. It does indeed work.

That being said, your can definitely lose weight perfectly fine by eating breakfast. It's really all about finding what works for you.

Agreed.

why not eat breakfast... you :intermittently fast 6-8 hours every night when you sleep. If I were you i would eat something in the morning. Also, depends on if you workout or not ( want to keep muscle mass vs just losing weight doing nothing.) The former I would definitely eat breakfast.

eoMMan said:
Todem said:
MAC_32 said:
shader said:
Todem said:
Brunell4MVP said:

Exactly. That's the whole point. Gussy likes breakfast, so I'll stop with the "no breakfast" stuff. Many healthy people skip breakfast. Probably not as many as those that eat breakfast, but we've had generations of people telling us the importance of breakfast, and how it boosts our metabolism, so it's not surprising that most people eat breakfast. Just like most people think bacon is going to give them a heart attack. Not true, but it's hard to change that perception.

Carry on with breakfast Gussy. You seem to need it, so eat it.

Avoiding breakfast and going to bed early = less hours in the day to eat. I have coffee in the morning with about 100 calories from milk and sugar and then don't eat until 12. Maybe have a protein bar around 4 if I need it and have dinner at 7.

This way I have have an 800 calorie lunch, 200 calorie snack, and 1000 calorie dinner to hit 2000. And I'm not even ever that hungry.

Exactly. That's the whole point. Gussy likes breakfast, so I'll stop with the "no breakfast" stuff. Many healthy people skip breakfast. Probably not as many as those that eat breakfast, but we've had generations of people telling us the importance of breakfast, and how it boosts our metabolism, so it's not surprising that most people eat breakfast. Just like most people think bacon is going to give them a heart attack. Not true, but it's hard to change that perception.

The idea of a big breakfast goes back to farmers who worked hard in the mornings and needed all of that energy. A guy like me who drives to work and sits down at a computer all day doesn't.

eoMMan said:
Todem said:
MAC_32 said:
shader said:
Todem said:
Brunell4MVP said:

losing weight can get away with out breakfast

gaining weight is a different story! need to start the calories as soon as possible!!!

Avoiding breakfast and going to bed early = less hours in the day to eat. I have coffee in the morning with about 100 calories from milk and sugar and then don't eat until 12. Maybe have a protein bar around 4 if I need it and have dinner at 7.

This way I have have an 800 calorie lunch, 200 calorie snack, and 1000 calorie dinner to hit 2000. And I'm not even ever that hungry.
i dont miss the days of cutting!..

I just ate a 2,500 calorie lunch and Im still hungry!

Skipping breakfast causes you to eat more later in the day. If you want to eats carbs, breakfast is the best time to do it because you have all day to burn it off. If you're skipping breakfast and then eating the majority of you calories in the evening you just end up storing them. I was at my worst when I used to skip breakfast. Just coffee until lunchtime and then had to eat a ton (usually carbs) because I was starving. Then you crash after lunch. Skipping breakfast is just a bad idea. If you want to skip something, skip the carbs at dinner. OP did great last night but had rice and quinoa. The quinoa is sufficient, sub another veg in for that rice. Carbs late = extra weight.

Had my physical this morning. BP is 100/72 !! Never been that good. I was always borderline high around 135/85. I bought the Blendtec at this time last year and ate more vegetables in the last 12 months then I did in my life before that. Spinach, beets, carrots and other stuff every single day. Life changer. I could never eat those things if not for that machine. I don't even taste them. My daily BM is one piece and phenomenal. The more vegetables you eat, the more weight you lose, the better your overall health is. Amazing how it all changes when you eat the amount of veg every day that is recommended. Eat that veg!!!

i dont miss the days of cutting!..I just ate a 2,500 calorie lunch and Im still hungry!
I have such a negative attitude towards food now that I don't even think I'll change once I get to my target weight. I can still enjoy a good meal but I don't crave anything anymore because I have more negative thoughts about it than positive ones. I'm becoming more and more like Ron in that food is simply fuel.

Just coffee until lunchtime and then had to eat a ton (usually carbs) because I was starving. Then you crash after lunch. Skipping breakfast is just a bad idea.
For you but people have to find what works for them since everyone is different. I have a relatively big lunch but it's almost all chicken and veggies, only carbs are some rice.

For me I find that hungry feeling in the morning a good thing and look forward to a healthy lunch. If I start the day off with carbs then I crave more.

As for the "there's nothing wrong with sugar" preachers, because "a calorie is just a calorie" in their minds, let me ask this... are the nine calories from a gram of saturated fat or trans fat, the same as the nine calories from a gram of polyunsaturated fat or monosaturated fat? I mean don't we know that the body processes these different fats in different ways, some being good for the body and some being bad? Don't we know the amount of saturated fats should be limited in our diet, and trans fats should be avoided?

No one is suggesting that sugar should be avoided completely, nor should simple carbs. But these types of carbs are processed by the body in a substantially different way than other carbs like fiber, as well as proteins and fats. It's not normal consumption of them that makes us sick. It is excess consumption of them that does. It turns the body into a roller coaster of fat production, then hunger, then fat production, then hunger, then fat production, then hunger....

A person who wants to limit their diet to 2000 calories a day, but consume a lot of those 2000 calories as sugar and simple carbs will experience this roller coaster, and by the evening will have consumed 2000 calories for the day with their brain telling them "PLEASE EAT SOMETHING!!!!!". They will fail on this type of diet because limiting themselves to 2000 calories a day feels like a battle, one they may win for a few weeks, maybe even a few months, but eventually they will lose.

On the other hand a person who wants to limit their diet to 2000 calories a day, but consume very few of those 2000 calories as sugar and simple carbs will NOT experience that roller coaster. When they are ready to go to bed, they can frequently have some calories to spare in their 2000 allowance and not have experienced any hunger issues they had to fight. This diet can be sustained for a lifetime.

In regards to fruit, yes fruit has a lot of sugar, but it also has a lot of fiber, which slows down the body's absorption of the sugar. It will all be absorbed but over a longer period of time compared to the same amount of sugar coming from a soda. So fruit does not kickoff that roller coaster ride. However, if fruit is eaten in addition to a lot of sugar and carbs coming from processed foods, then the body is already on the roller coaster ride so the body's insulin spike just takes that sugar from fruit and turns it into fat too. The fruit didn't trigger the insulin spike, but it was converted by the insulin spike none the less. And for diabetics the fruit in addition to processed sugar and simple carbs just makes the blood sugar level go higher. If however a diabetic has a diet completely absent from other sources of sugar, they could probably eat many servings of fruit spread out through the day without problems.

The idea that a calorie is just a calorie is only true in a lab. Yes you will get the same amount of energy from any source of calorie when it's burned. But it's how the body responds to different carbs, different fats, different proteins is the problem Americans are suffering from, because there is a TON of sugar being added to our food supply by companies who want their product to taste better than their competition. And the zero calorie sweeteners also cause the body to have not so good responses, so that's not really a solution for the calorie counting crowd. Again, I'm not bashing the process of calorie counting. The amount of energy is simple math and unarguable. But when one ignores how the body responds to different kinds of calories, they will naturally eat the tasty calories, which eventually leads to them failing to limit calorie consumption at where it needs to be.

Just coffee until lunchtime and then had to eat a ton (usually carbs) because I was starving. Then you crash after lunch. Skipping breakfast is just a bad idea.
For you but people have to find what works for them since everyone is different. I have a relatively big lunch but it's almost all chicken and veggies, only carbs are some rice.

For me I find that hungry feeling in the morning a good thing and look forward to a healthy lunch. If I start the day off with carbs then I crave more.
I don't eat bread or bagels in the morning or anything like that, I just think you need to get something in your stomach. Something to get your metabolism going. If you're in shape and your way works for you, that's great. Just feel like the skipping breakfast thing catches up with you the older you get. If someone has an issue with over eating like OP does then skipping breakfast is only going to have him making up for it later at a time when he can't burn at least some of it off. I had to fast this morning for my physical and driving around after the appointment those burrito places I was driving by looked phenomenal. I could have eaten 3 of them.

Skipping breakfast causes you to eat more later in the day. If you want to eats carbs, breakfast is the best time to do it because you have all day to burn it off. If you're skipping breakfast and then eating the majority of you calories in the evening you just end up storing them. I was at my worst when I used to skip breakfast. Just coffee until lunchtime and then had to eat a ton (usually carbs) because I was starving. Then you crash after lunch. Skipping breakfast is just a bad idea. If you want to skip something, skip the carbs at dinner. OP did great last night but had rice and quinoa. The quinoa is sufficient, sub another veg in for that rice. Carbs late = extra weight.

Had my physical this morning. BP is 100/72 !! Never been that good. I was always borderline high around 135/85. I bought the Blendtec at this time last year and ate more vegetables in the last 12 months then I did in my life before that. Spinach, beets, carrots and other stuff every single day. Life changer. I could never eat those things if not for that machine. I don't even taste them. My daily BM is one piece and phenomenal. The more vegetables you eat, the more weight you lose, the better your overall health is. Amazing how it all changes when you eat the amount of veg every day that is recommended. Eat that veg!!!
That's not true for everyone.

Fruit like raspberries, blueberries, strawberries are so healthy for your immune system. Grapefruit very healthy. Apples, very healthy.

The more color in your diet (Fruits and Veggies) the better your health will be.

Lot's of greens is also vital.

Fact.

It's not rocket science.

When you see those Popeye's chicken commercials.....all brown. Makes me sick actually. That is in a nutshell why our countries obesity issue keeps getting worse by the year. Fast food will kill you if that is a big part of your diet. And for many Americans it is.

Do I like fast food sometimes? Of course. Make the best choices you can when you have it.

Everything in moderation. But after you reach your goals. During your cleansing.....you must ban all fast food and fried garbage. Otherwise you will never change your body, lose the weight you want and feel healthy. And I am a broken record on this.....but if you commit to working out 30 minutes a day (especially if you can carve out 30 minutes in the morning for you...you must make time for you) you will feel a transformation and you will want to eat better.

Trust me.

Willie, Willie, Willie....

I don't eat bread or bagels in the morning or anything like that, I just think you need to get something in your stomach. Something to get your metabolism going. If you're in shape and your way works for you, that's great. Just feel like the skipping breakfast thing catches up with you the older you get. If someone has an issue with over eating like OP does then skipping breakfast is only going to have him making up for it later at a time when he can't burn at least some of it off. I had to fast this morning for my physical and driving around after the appointment those burrito places I was driving by looked phenomenal. I could have eaten 3 of them.
Yep. I eat either raw food shakes or a good old fashioned bowl of Cheerios with fresh berries or banana on top. On Saturday and Sunday one egg scrambled with 2 strips of bacon. Sometimes real deal bacon, sometimes turkey bacon.

And yes...the older you get the more vital breakfast becomes. Totally agree. But I grew up always having breakfast. So that is a good reason why I have never wavered from it.

Hey Gussy here is a pro tip for the times your feeling really weak late at night and want to eat.

Go brush your teeth.

As for the "there's nothing wrong with sugar" preachers, because "a calorie is just a calorie" in their minds, let me ask this... are the nine calories from a gram of saturated fat or trans fat, the same as the nine calories from a gram of polyunsaturated fat or monosaturated fat? I mean don't we know that the body processes these different fats in different ways, some being good for the body and some being bad? Don't we know the amount of saturated fats should be limited in our diet, and trans fats should be avoided?

No one is suggesting that sugar should be avoided completely, nor should simple carbs. But these types of carbs are processed by the body in a substantially different way than other carbs like fiber, as well as proteins and fats. It's not normal consumption of them that makes us sick. It is excess consumption of them that does. It turns the body into a roller coaster of fat production, then hunger, then fat production, then hunger, then fat production, then hunger....

A person who wants to limit their diet to 2000 calories a day, but consume a lot of those 2000 calories as sugar and simple carbs will experience this roller coaster, and by the evening will have consumed 2000 calories for the day with their brain telling them "PLEASE EAT SOMETHING!!!!!". They will fail on this type of diet because limiting themselves to 2000 calories a day feels like a battle, one they may win for a few weeks, maybe even a few months, but eventually they will lose.

On the other hand a person who wants to limit their diet to 2000 calories a day, but consume very few of those 2000 calories as sugar and simple carbs will NOT experience that roller coaster. When they are ready to go to bed, they can frequently have some calories to spare in their 2000 allowance and not have experienced any hunger issues they had to fight. This diet can be sustained for a lifetime.

In regards to fruit, yes fruit has a lot of sugar, but it also has a lot of fiber, which slows down the body's absorption of the sugar. It will all be absorbed but over a longer period of time compared to the same amount of sugar coming from a soda. So fruit does not kickoff that roller coaster ride. However, if fruit is eaten in addition to a lot of sugar and carbs coming from processed foods, then the body is already on the roller coaster ride so the body's insulin spike just takes that sugar from fruit and turns it into fat too. The fruit didn't trigger the insulin spike, but it was converted by the insulin spike none the less. And for diabetics the fruit in addition to processed sugar and simple carbs just makes the blood sugar level go higher. If however a diabetic has a diet completely absent from other sources of sugar, they could probably eat many servings of fruit spread out through the day without problems.

The idea that a calorie is just a calorie is only true in a lab. Yes you will get the same amount of energy from any source of calorie when it's burned. But it's how the body responds to different carbs, different fats, different proteins is the problem Americans are suffering from, because there is a TON of sugar being added to our food supply by companies who want their product to taste better than their competition. And the zero calorie sweeteners also cause the body to have not so good responses, so that's not really a solution for the calorie counting crowd. Again, I'm not bashing the process of calorie counting. The amount of energy is simple math and unarguable. But when one ignores how the body responds to different kinds of calories, they will naturally eat the tasty calories, which eventually leads to them failing to limit calorie consumption at where it needs to be.
I agree with you on most of your points. If you try to eat twinkies and cookies all day long, you'll fail.

I think people miss the basic reason why eating sweets is bad for you. Or why eating fried foods are bad for you (in terms of weight loss). In general they cause you to eat calories that your body doesn't even "feel". If I eat a grilled chicken breast or a fried chicken breast, I'm usually just as satisfied either way. But with the fried breast, I've just taken in a lot more calories. So is the fried breast "bad for you"? Or is it just causing you to eat more than you otherwise would have?

The point I think some of us are making to gussy is that he has to do it longterm. If you are trying to lose weight longterm, just understand how many calories you are putting in your body, and adjust your lifestyle to fit that.

Sugar is a tricky thing. Some people can't handle just eating one or two cookies. Those people should probably stay away from it for awhile. Others love some chocolate at night, or eating one cookie. Some may hold back some calories to enjoy a bowl of ice cream at night. None of those things are wrong if done in reason. You don't need to eliminate them from your diet. But ANY successful diet will by necessity cause you to scale back dramatically your sugar intake.

parasaurolophus said:
Make it so your life isn't a rat race and it actually becomes quite easy to eat extremely healthy.
I'd love to be in a position to not work 50-60hrs/week (I mean, doesn't everyone?). Fact is, even with being pretty busy there are somethings that are quick, easy, and can be healthy. My grill gets a lot of use for just that reason.

Todem said:
45 years old

5'10'

187 pounds.

34 waste

I feel really good.

The highest I let myself get was 215 LBS and that was 5 years ago. In high school I was 175 pounds at my peak of physical fitness and playing baseball and tennis year round.
Almost exactly me at my highest and current. Goal is 169 (i.e. dip under 170) by summer. Sick of getting left in the middle of a hill by 140lb sticks with legs. That and getting to the top of Mt. Evans this summer will be much easier at 170 than 190.

Fruit like raspberries, blueberries, strawberries are so healthy for your immune system. Grapefruit very healthy. Apples, very healthy.

The more color in your diet (Fruits and Veggies) the better your health will be.

Fact.

It's not rocket science.

When you see that Popeye's chicken commercials.....all brown. makes me sick actually. That is in a nutshell why our country is obesity issue keep s getting worse by the year. Fast food will kill you if that is a big part of your diet. And for many Americans it is.

Do I like fast food sometimes? Of course. Make the best choices you can when you have it.

Everything in moderation. But after you reach your goals. During your cleansing.....you must outlaw, ban all fast food and fried garbage. Otherwise you will never change your body, lose the weight you want and feel healthy. And I am a broken record on this.....but if you commit to working out 30 minutes a day (especially if you can carve out 30 minutes in the morning for you...you must make time for you) you will feel a transformation and you will want to eat better.

Trust me.
Might want to think about those "good old cheerios".

:D

Fact.

It's not rocket science.

When you see that Popeye's chicken commercials.....all brown. makes me sick actually. That is in a nutshell why our country is obesity issue keep s getting worse by the year. Fast food will kill you if that is a big part of your diet. And for many Americans it is.

Everything in moderation. But after you reach your goals. During your cleansing.....you must outlaw, ban all fast food and fried garbage. Otherwise you will never change your body, lose the weight you want and feel healthy. And I am a broken record on this.....but if you commit to working out 30 minutes a day (especially if you can carve out 30 minutes in the morning for you...you must make time for you) you will feel a transformation and you will want to eat better.

Trust me.
I just had my first meal of the day, a chik fil-a grilled chicken club, 3 chicken strips, and one packed of bar-b-q sauce. That's about 860 calories with 37g fat, 60g of carbs, 12g of sugar (#shudder#), and 71g of protein. Partly fried, lots of carbs and protein, delicious and relatively low calories. Oh, I felt fantastic all day (a little hungry the last two hours or so but being a little hungry is ok).

50 minutes of HIIT on the elliptical last night and 50 minutes of lifting early this am. If I throw another 1,000 calories down this evening (ideally with some green veggies), I will run a nice deficit, lose weight, have good macros, and not even feel like I'm "dieting."

One size does not fit all EXCEPT when it comes to a calorie deficit/surplus.

To the guys who say skipping breakfast is ok, that evening carbs are no biggie, how tall are you and what do you weigh? I'm 6'0" 178 (weighed today).

I agree with you on most of your points. If you try to eat twinkies and cookies all day long, you'll fail.

I think people miss the basic reason why eating sweets is bad for you. Or why eating fried foods are bad for you (in terms of weight loss). In general they cause you to eat calories that your body doesn't even "feel". If I eat a grilled chicken breast or a fried chicken breast, I'm usually just as satisfied either way. But with the fried breast, I've just taken in a lot more calories. So is the fried breast "bad for you"? Or is it just causing you to eat more than you otherwise would have?

The point I think some of us are making to gussy is that he has to do it longterm. If you are trying to lose weight longterm, just understand how many calories you are putting in your body, and adjust your lifestyle to fit that.

Sugar is a tricky thing. Some people can't handle just eating one or two cookies. Those people should probably stay away from it for awhile. Others love some chocolate at night, or eating one cookie. Some may hold back some calories to enjoy a bowl of ice cream at night. None of those things are wrong if done in reason. You don't need to eliminate them from your diet. But ANY successful diet will by necessity cause you to scale back dramatically your sugar intake.
I disagree about a a grilled chicken breast and fried chicken breast not feeling different. I only provide anecdotal evidence, but fried food makes me feel better. Id even say it makes me feel fuller. It's got a "stick to the ribs" feeling that sticks around for a while. There is a HUGE reason people prefer fried food to grilled food and it's about that better feeling of satisfaction, as well as knowing it will stay in their stomach longer.

That being said, that feeling absolutely does not justify the negatives we get from eating fried food. One of the negatives is the additional calories that come with it, but I think there are worse negative effects of fried food than just the additional calories. Again, I'm focused on how the food affects the body and have learned to pretty much ignore calories. Eating food that's good for the body will naturally result in eating an appropriate amount of calories. Eating food that's bad for the body naturally results in eating more calories than the body needs.

Willie, Willie, Willie....
What's even remotely controversial about that? You won't find a nutritionist on the planet who says skipping breakfast is ideal. You won't find one that says eating a bunch of carbs late evening isn't going to be a negative in terms of weight and weight loss.

Users who are viewing this thread