What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

HEALTH UPDATE...RECIEVED A LIVER (1 Viewer)

Parmcat

Canada: Beer, Bacon and Beavers
Hello,

I am Parm, and I am fat. I am less then 2 weeks away from having Gastric bypass surgery. It has taken me almost 18 months to get through the program to get to this point. My surgical date is Dec 18.

I am currently on week 2 of a 3 week special fluid diet consisting of Optifast shakes (4x/day), beef or chicken broth, suger free jello. and sugar free popsicles. (plus lots of water)

Curious if anyone else has had any bariatric surgeries, like RNY, Gastric sleeve....others?

Thanks

Parm

Last edited by a moderator:
A friend of mine had this done. I just touched base with him, and his response was "Tell your friend that it's not a get-out-of-jail-free card. He/she can't go back to whatever they were doing that got them into this situation in the first place. Everyone's body chemistry is different, but this isn't a 'fix' in and of itself".

Good luck, Parm, and keep us updated on your progress if you feel it helps.

A friend of mine had this done. I just touched base with him, and his response was "Tell your friend that it's not a get-out-of-jail-free card. He/she can't go back to whatever they were doing that got them into this situation in the first place. Everyone's body chemistry is different, but this isn't a 'fix' in and of itself".

Good luck, Parm, and keep us updated on your progress if you feel it helps.
Thank you

It is pounded into your head for over a year that this is not a fix, only a tool.

I am very lucky for a second chance, and will succeed this time!

Agree with UH's friend - my FIL had it and it's changed his life - he's lost and kept off 150 lbs. he seems dedicated to changing his lifestyle and that is the part that you will need to focus on.

Hopefully you have family and friends onboard with you and will help you. I feel like my MIL has been supportive in words but not always deeds. Lots of bad habits that she still keeps.

Good luck!

Had Roux en Y a little over 3 years ago. (There is a thread buried here somewhere) Have lost 150lbs and kept it off. As stated earlier, this is only a tool. You still have to change your life style. My Dr told me one thing that has stuck with me and has been very true, "Your goal is just eat like a regular person, not like the 2-3 regular people you ate like to get to this point."

Now 3 years out, I do just that. I eat just about anything I want, but I typically only eat one helping of anything. If I want more then it is seconds of protein or veggies. If I am craving something, then I eat it, but I know that loaded nachos are a 3-4 time a year thing. Love pizza, but now do thin crust with chicken as my meat topping and I eat 1-2 pieces instead 4-6.

Would gladly talk about this more or answer questions thru PM if you want. Good luck and realize this is something you need to be committed to.

My sister had lapband? done at least 5 years ago. She lost all the excess weight she had but now has much excess skin which has to be dealt with surgically. She is so skinny she doesn't look heathly imo.

Had Roux en Y a little over 3 years ago. (There is a thread buried here somewhere) Have lost 150lbs and kept it off. As stated earlier, this is only a tool. You still have to change your life style. My Dr told me one thing that has stuck with me and has been very true, "Your goal is just eat like a regular person, not like the 2-3 regular people you ate like to get to this point."

Now 3 years out, I do just that. I eat just about anything I want, but I typically only eat one helping of anything. If I want more then it is seconds of protein or veggies. If I am craving something, then I eat it, but I know that loaded nachos are a 3-4 time a year thing. Love pizza, but now do thin crust with chicken as my meat topping and I eat 1-2 pieces instead 4-6.

Would gladly talk about this more or answer questions thru PM if you want. Good luck and realize this is something you need to be committed to.
Wait, is six slices of pizza considered to be a lot?

Thanks for the reply. Very helpful.

Just curious, after 3 years, are you still eating the extremely small portion sizes that you ate the first year, or does your stomach allow for a larger portion?

Is there anything that you still don't eat/drink?

TIA

Agree with UH's friend - my FIL had it and it's changed his life - he's lost and kept off 150 lbs. he seems dedicated to changing his lifestyle and that is the part that you will need to focus on.

Hopefully you have family and friends onboard with you and will help you. I feel like my MIL has been supportive in words but not always deeds. Lots of bad habits that she still keeps.

Good luck!
I am very fortunate, as my wife had the Roux En Y about a year and a half ago, so we will be able to go through this together.

She has lost 93 pounds, so it is a great example for me right in front of my eyes.

Two friends of mine, a husband and wife, had the band surgery several years ago. The husband made out like gangbusters and lost half his body weight. The wife slipped back into her bad habits and gained back everything she lost.

Like said previously in this thread, this isn't a magic pill that takes away your woes. You need to dedicate yourself to doing this the right way or you may as well not waste your time. Good luck, it'll be a hard, but very rewarding road.

My sister had lapband as well. Worked like a charm for a while, but she gained it all back and then some just recently.

My sister had lapband as well. Worked like a charm for a while, but she gained it all back and then some just recently.
When you have lapband and break bad again what do you have to eat to gain it back? What's she eat now? Basically 100% carbs?

I thought the band severely restricted the size of your stomach so that it was near impossible to eat much food. Where did your sister get the excess calories from? Or does the banded off stomach just grow the more food that gets stuffed into it?

My name is The Ref and I'm fat too. A lot less fat then I used to be. I had a Gastric Sleeve done just over a year ago. I'm down just over 70 points. Funny because I say 70 and it doesn't seem like a lot and I look at myself now and I don't see a thin guy....... But then I look at pictures from last year...... Yeah.... Wow.

A sleeve is a different but related animal then a full "rny". If you have any questions please let me know.

Most of the fail stories you read about are all Lap Band related. I'm sure you will do very well with this. Be prepared as the first 2 weeks really suck, and weeks 3-6 aren't much of a bargain either.

I thought the band severely restricted the size of your stomach so that it was near impossible to eat much food. Where did your sister get the excess calories from? Or does the banded off stomach just grow the more food that gets stuffed into it?
A lap band doesn't quite work that way. It restricts the amount of food that it lets in the stomach, not how much food fits in the stomach. Most Lap Band fails are because people start to eat soft foods that can be washed though the band and drink high calorie drinks.

The Ref said:
James Daulton said:
WampusCat43 said:
A lap band doesn't quite work that way. It restricts the amount of food that it lets in the stomach, not how much food fits in the stomach. Most Lap Band fails are because people start to eat soft foods that can be washed though the band and drink high calorie drinks.
What surgery would stop high calorie drinks?

Stop completely? None. A sleeve or RNY you only have so much room so there is a bit of a small deterrent.

eoMMan said:
Do you mind me asking how heavy you are?
At my highest weight I was about 345. I am currently just under 320, and have lost 15 pounds in 9 days on the Optifast. I have 11 days till surgery and hope to drop at least 10 more before then.

The Ref said:
James Daulton said:
WampusCat43 said:
What surgery would stop high calorie drinks?
None.

I can't ever drink carbonated drinks again, as they will stretch the stomach. Also, pop is such empty calories. It is a good solid reason why I got the way I am.

So, Friday at high noon is my surgery date.

As of right now, I am weighing in at 317, hope to be below 315 for Friday morning....then the fun begins.

The last week or so, the Optifast diet has been a breeze. No real cravings. We also had our family Christmas last Sat, and while there was tons of food and drink, my shakes and resolve stood strong.

I will try to update this thread as I can. I will be in hospital until at least Monday morning.

I am beyond the fear of the surgery now, and am all giddy with excitement. I am thankful for this second chance, and see this as a great Christmas present to myself!

Parm

315.4 this morning...LOL

Need to lose .4 lbs before tomorrow to be a happy camper.

Surgery in 27 hrs. Bring on 3 weeks of liquid diet!!!!

LOL

Good luck. Weight has been an issue for me since I was 14. I was close to 300 at one point, but dedicated myself to being around for the foreseeable future for my family and dropped 70 pounds by simply making better choices and exercising. I think the hardest thing for me was convincing myself to start and continue doing the right thing. Once your brain is good to go, your body will follow suit. Consider this procedure the catalyst for a better life for you and the people around you.

GL Parm.

You seem to have a great attitude and that is huge. Let me know if you ever need to talk about what you are going through. I've been there.

GL man. I'm 352 right now and I finally think I have crossed the threshold where it is painful to simply 'exist'. My cholesterol is good, but I was at the doctor last week and she told me I'm pre-diabetic. I have hovered between 320-330 for years but I felt relatively well. Now, I am just in pain all the time. Something major needs to happen, or I'm afraid I won't see 40. I'm interested in exploring surgical operations but every time I bring it up to my wife, she shuts down the notion immediately. Won't even talk about it. :(

Good luck and hope the rest of you struggling with your weight issues find a solution that works for you.

Wait, is six slices of pizza considered to be a lot?
Was thinking same thing. I eat an entire thin crust pizza no problem. 2-3 pieces would be a small snack

Oh, and be careful if they gave you percoset for the pain. Take something to keep the mail moving alongside them, if you take my meaning.

Good luck Parm. I had an aunt die at age 31 due to heart complications brought on by weight (over 400 lb I would guess), I wish this was around then.

Stay committed!!

Users who are viewing this thread