What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

HEALTH UPDATE...RECIEVED A LIVER (2 Viewers)

Hope to be out of here this morning. So, I had too much scarring on the liver (fatty liver disease) and the hernia was too big to fix right now. So, the sleeve was done instead of the bypass. While I am disappointed, it will not slow me down.

I want to thank all that have sent messages and we'll wishes .This little online family has been so awesome over the years!

Carpe Diem

Today was 1 week post surgery for me. Still having some pain and the bowels are giving me hell. I need to ramp up the water intake a lot.

Not sure how far I am down, s I don't own a scale. I have a follow up on Jan 12, so I may wait until then.

The diet sucks. I was never a lover of yogurt or cottage cheese, so I have had to mix them up to find a flavor I like. Tonight, I had some runny mashed potatoes with garlic and cottage cheese....my own Christmas Cheesy potatoes.

I also have a pretty impressive bruise on the lower left abdomen...somebody went to town on me.

Anyway....Merry Christmas to you all!

Parm

My sympathies. Nothing is worth having to eat yoghurt for me. It's just nasty. You might need to get together with the nutritionist and find something else to eat. You need foods you can stick with.

I can't believe you got mugged in surgery. How does that police report go?

Wow - kind of amazing that they would change gears like that mid surgery. My guess is you were ok waking up to a sleeve and not having anything done?

I had mentioned it in a PM i sent but I had a sleeve done last year and done reasonably well with it. Lost just over 25% of my weight.

How is the gas pain in your shoulder? That was the worst part of it for me. Word than the diet, worse than the post op surgery pain.... That gas pain was the worst. Once they pulled out the drain it magically went away.

Wow - kind of amazing that they would change gears like that mid surgery. My guess is you were ok waking up to a sleeve and not having anything done?

I had mentioned it in a PM i sent but I had a sleeve done last year and done reasonably well with it. Lost just over 25% of my weight.

How is the gas pain in your shoulder? That was the worst part of it for me. Word than the diet, worse than the post op surgery pain.... That gas pain was the worst. Once they pulled out the drain it magically went away.
So, pre-surgery, during consent, they told me it could be a possibility. I was well aware. I was disappointed, but they said the liver had too much damage, and this was the safest treatment for me.

As for the gas pain, I have not had any in the shoulder. I had some for 3 or 4 days, but it was up under the diaphragm, and down in the belly.

The worst now is getting the protein and water into me.

It is day 8, and I can finally lay on my side at night....

So, pre-surgery, during consent, they told me it could be a possibility. I was well aware. I was disappointed, but they said the liver had too much damage, and this was the safest treatment for me.

As for the gas pain, I have not had any in the shoulder. I had some for 3 or 4 days, but it was up under the diaphragm, and down in the belly.

Why was your liver in such bad shape? Just because of your weight?

James Daulton said:

Why was your liver in such bad shape? Just because of your weight?
I believe so. I was diagnosed with fatty liver disease during the workup. During the surgery, I guess there was a lot of scarring on the liver. Probably due to poor diet for many years, as I am not a drinker. The good thing is the liver can heal itself over time.

Why can't you just take whey and casein shakes for now?

Because torture is banned by the Geneva Conventions?

Update? How are you feeling? Interested in your progress as I am starting the process as well.

Update? How are you feeling? Interested in your progress as I am starting the process as well.
Day 12 post-op

I have not taken any pain meds since day 8. I feel ok, but have limitations still. Sunday I went out to the mall with the wife, s I needed to get moving a bit. I aover did it, and there was some pain when I got home and the next day.

Diet still sucks....the daily menu consists of a combination if:

Oatmeal/Cream of wheat

Yogurt/cottage cheese

Cream soups

sugar free pudding/jello/freezies

Pre made protein shakes as well as protein powder on food

Lots of water

On Friday I can add mashed potatoes, some soft fruits, strained regular soups.

It has been a battle post op. The next few weeks should stat to get easier. I wont weigh myself until my first Post op apt on Jan 12, but can see that I have started to lose

Oh yeah...Thanks god for stool softeners and laxative.....just sayin

Overall, I di feel good. I need to stay busy, as there is a lot of time spent on the couch, doing nothing....

Day 12 post-op

I have not taken any pain meds since day 8. I feel ok, but have limitations still. Sunday I went out to the mall with the wife, s I needed to get moving a bit. I aover did it, and there was some pain when I got home and the next day.

Oatmeal/Cream of wheat

Yogurt/cottage cheese

Cream soups

Lots of water

It has been a battle post op. The next few weeks should stat to get easier. I wont weigh myself until my first Post op apt on Jan 12, but can see that I have started to lose

Overall, I di feel good. I need to stay busy, as there is a lot of time spent on the couch, doing nothing....
Do you think loose skin is going to be a significant issue? Good luck moving forward.

Day 12 post-op

Oatmeal/Cream of wheat

Yogurt/cottage cheese

Cream soups

Lots of water

Do you think loose skin is going to be a significant issue? Good luck moving forward.
Of course it will. It is something that is discussed regularly in the lead up to surgery.

Firstly, they will not even consider fixing it until at least 2 years post op. Then, you have to take in the cost issue. There is no insurance coverage to have it paid for, here in Canada, so it is on your dime. I understand it is about a 12-16 thousand dollar bill.

My wife will be 2 years post op in April, so we will be looking into it then

Graduated to Puree foods yesterday. Also was able to eat melba toast.

Mashed potatoes with Franks redhot and melba toast never ever tasted so good
Big! This and when you can have solid food are the two big milestones.

Get up and move around! You are a tough guy! It's the best thing for you. Just wait until you drop your first 50.... You won't stop moving.

Graduated to Puree foods yesterday. Also was able to eat melba toast.

Mashed potatoes with Franks redhot and melba toast never ever tasted so good
Big! This and when you can have solid food are the two big milestones.

Get up and move around! You are a tough guy! It's the best thing for you. Just wait until you drop your first 50.... You won't stop moving.
Thanks!!!!

This was the first time that I actually noticed the feeling of full. I will have to learn to listen to my body when I've had enough.

As the food gets denser, the portions will have to get smaller!

Went to my GP today as I have been feeling dizzy/lightheaded. Blood sugar is very good, but my BP seems a bit low, and I may be a bit dehydrated still.

I weighed myself while there...and this is an unofficial total, as I will being seeing the Bariatric Dr next Tuesday and I will take that as "official"

Tomorrow is 3 weeks post op, and I am down 17 pounds......pretty happy. Hope that number is 20 by next Tuesday

Pretty stoked, as I am below 300 pounds for the first time in many many years.

Parmcat said:
Went to my GP today as I have been feeling dizzy/lightheaded. Blood sugar is very good, but my BP seems a bit low, and I may be a bit dehydrated still.

I weighed myself while there...and this is an unofficial total, as I will being seeing the Bariatric Dr next Tuesday and I will take that as "official"

Tomorrow is 3 weeks post op, and I am down 17 pounds......pretty happy. Hope that number is 20 by next Tuesday

Pretty stoked, as I am below 300 pounds for the first time in many many years.
:thumbup: :thumbup:

Official follow up yesterday at the clinic.

I am officially down 18 pounds since the surgery (25 days) and down 42 pounds in the last 6 weeks.

I am 294 lbs, and it is the lowest weight I have been in years. I feel pretty good, and am pretty happy with myself so far.

I get to celebrate tomorrow with the wife, in the 2nd row of the Muse show in Detroit.

Again, the support here has been so awesome. Thank you!

Official follow up yesterday at the clinic.

I am officially down 18 pounds since the surgery (25 days) and down 42 pounds in the last 6 weeks.

I am 294 lbs, and it is the lowest weight I have been in years. I feel pretty good, and am pretty happy with myself so far.

I get to celebrate tomorrow with the wife, in the 2nd row of the Muse show in Detroit.

Again, the support here has been so awesome. Thank you!
Good for you. Enjoy the show.

Updates: we require them.

The dizziness you mention in post 73 is pretty common with people who are dropping weight quickly. Your blood pressure is changing at a pace faster than your body has ever seen before and isn't used to it. Take your time when you stand up -- don't try leap into action just yet.

The dizziness you mention in post 73 is pretty common with people who are dropping weight quickly. Your blood pressure is changing at a pace faster than your body has ever seen before and isn't used to it. Take your time when you stand up -- don't try leap into action just yet.
Spot on with this. Went through this after my surgery. Got really dizzy a couple times after workouts. It takes time for your body to adjust.

Great work.

GL man. I'm 352 right now and I finally think I have crossed the threshold where it is painful to simply 'exist'. My cholesterol is good, but I was at the doctor last week and she told me I'm pre-diabetic. I have hovered between 320-330 for years but I felt relatively well. Now, I am just in pain all the time. Something major needs to happen, or I'm afraid I won't see 40. I'm interested in exploring surgical operations but every time I bring it up to my wife, she shuts down the notion immediately. Won't even talk about it. :(
she thinks you'll get skinny and leave

OK....Update you will get.

I am currently around 285. Although I thought the weight would fall off, it has slowed a tad this past week or so, BUT, I feel like my body has changed. I have lost about 6 inches from my waist, so I have had to buy pants just to get out of the house.

I have been swimming a ton. I am trying to get to the gym 3-4 times a week, and swim close to an hr per visit..

The dizziness seemed to be more about dehydration then BP. My BP didn't drop a ton from sitting to standing, but I know I was not taking in the fluids I needed at the beginning.

I will now have to start counting my protein intake My dietitian wants be to get 60-80 grams of protein a day outside of my protein shakes.

I hope to see some decent drops in weight in the next little while. Over all, I feel great, and this is only the start!

GL man. I'm 352 right now and I finally think I have crossed the threshold where it is painful to simply 'exist'. My cholesterol is good, but I was at the doctor last week and she told me I'm pre-diabetic. I have hovered between 320-330 for years but I felt relatively well. Now, I am just in pain all the time. Something major needs to happen, or I'm afraid I won't see 40. I'm interested in exploring surgical operations but every time I bring it up to my wife, she shuts down the notion immediately. Won't even talk about it. :(
You can do it - you just have to want to be in shape more than you want to eat food.

Only thing I can say to you Parmcat, is keep doing positive things and quit focusing on results. The results will come with good habits. Wish the best for you and keep trucking, I am proud of you and you are inspirational.

Only thing I can say to you Parmcat, is keep doing positive things and quit focusing on results. The results will come with good habits. Wish the best for you and keep trucking, I am proud of you and you are inspirational.
Thanks a lot GB. This means a lot!

Brief update,

Just a few days over 2 months post surgery.  I am not down 34 pounds from my surgery date, and 57 pounds or so since Nov 27th (start of liquid diet)

I have lost about 5-6 inches on my waist, so I am happy with that.  My chest hasn't lost quite as fast, so I gotta pick up the weights a bit.

All in all, I am very happy with the progress, and the future is looking bright!  I feel great, my knees and ankles are happy, and people are starting to really notice the changes

Hey peeps,

Update time.  Just back from a trip to San Diego to visit family (8 days).  It was tough staying in a hotel for 7 days, and eating out twice a day.  I had lots of snacks available, and did treat myself a few times....(roasted corn Mexican style is the sheet)

We walked a ton, so that also helped.

I weighed myself the night before we left, and was at 275.  I weighed in last night, and somehow, I lost 5 lbs on vacation, and am 270 even.  That is 42 down since surgery (4 months), and 68 down since Dec 1.

Also,, for the first time in forever, I did not need a belt extender on the plane and was able to lower the tray table flat...little victories!

Now that Vacay is done, I want to start ramping up the workouts, and conditioning

Update time.....

Its been a long tough summer.  This was suppose to be the summer of getting my health back, and feeling great, but it was not.

Before my surgery last December, I already had a small umbilical hernia, that I knew was going to need to be repaired.  Well, this summer, the hernia has "exploded", and now it is so big, I honestly can't bend over, I have constant pressure on the front of the stomach wall, and eating is a great challenge.  I have seen a few drs about it, and finally had a surgical consult last month with the same Dr that did my bariatric surgery.  He said it needed to be fixed quickly, due to how quickly it is growing.  My surgical date for that is Oct 17th.  I am happy to finally get it fixed, but a bit scared on what the other side of the surgery will bring.

On top of that, about a month ago, I was at Canada's Wonderland (our version of Cedar Point) with my boys for a long day of walking in the heat.  When I got home my legs felt real funny, and heavy.  They were so swollen that I could barely wiggle my toes when I took my shows off, and I had water blisters on my shins.  It was awful.  They became painful, and I could not get the swelling to go down for days.  I saw the Dr, and had a Doppler done on my legs.  He said that a combination of carrying around the weight for so many years, and also years of diabetes has made the valves in the legs start to fail.  so, after finally getting the blisters healed, and the swelling down to a manageable level, I am wearing compression stockings.  In this last 5 weeks I have gained about 25 lbs of fluid weight, which is killing me.

I got down to a low weight of 258Lb from 348 last year, but currently sit at about 270

I hope the combination of the stockings, and the hernia surgery will reboot me back to where I need to be.

Very very frustrated, and feel like I have failed.

FML

Parm

Good luck but you should not feel like a failure.   I just read this whole thread and I am very impressed how you handled all of this.  Stay strong and the docs will sort you out.  Great job with losing the weight.  Very impressive. 

I think you are doing great.  Dealing with setbacks is always hard;  but as long as you keep trying, you'll do fine.

Significant update:

Things not going well.  I spend all day on Tuesday in emerg with what started as unreal belly pain that went right through to my back. The pain was severe for about 45 min and then eased off.  They did all the tests you would expect, and I was there for 13 hrs.  They ruled out a pulmonary embolism, DVT, and gall bladder.

What they found was my liver is very very large and fatty, which I knew before my bariatric surgery.  It has gotten worse, not better.  They say I have non-alcoholic cirrhosis, as there is lots of scarring on the liver.  The fluid problem I have been having is related.  I have a very large amount of fluid in the abdominal cavity, called Ascites, which is not only making the hernia worse, it is pushing on my stomach, so I can not eat anything of significance, pushing on my spleen, and my diaphragm.  The fluid is in the legs, both upper and lower, and I have constant pain from all the pressure.

Yesterday I spent the day at the urgent internal medicine clinic.  They are running tests to rule out things, like hepatitis, HIV, and other auto-immune diseases.  I have started on 2 different diuretics, and am waiting for a referral to a Hepatologist appt.  The first priority is to get rid of some of the fluid, then to determine why it is being produced and not circulating

My heart, kidneys, and lungs are perfectly fine.

I am scared, as there are man turns this could take. 

This was more a vent for me then anything.

Thanks for reading

Users who are viewing this thread