What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

HEALTH UPDATE...RECIEVED A LIVER (1 Viewer)

Parmcat said:
Significant update:

Things not going well.  I spend all day on Tuesday in emerg with what started as unreal belly pain that went right through to my back. The pain was severe for about 45 min and then eased off.  They did all the tests you would expect, and I was there for 13 hrs.  They ruled out a pulmonary embolism, DVT, and gall bladder.

What they found was my liver is very very large and fatty, which I knew before my bariatric surgery.  It has gotten worse, not better.  They say I have non-alcoholic cirrhosis, as there is lots of scarring on the liver.  The fluid problem I have been having is related.  I have a very large amount of fluid in the abdominal cavity, called Ascites, which is not only making the hernia worse, it is pushing on my stomach, so I can not eat anything of significance, pushing on my spleen, and my diaphragm.  The fluid is in the legs, both upper and lower, and I have constant pain from all the pressure.

Yesterday I spent the day at the urgent internal medicine clinic.  They are running tests to rule out things, like hepatitis, HIV, and other auto-immune diseases.  I have started on 2 different diuretics, and am waiting for a referral to a Hepatologist appt.  The first priority is to get rid of some of the fluid, then to determine why it is being produced and not circulating

My heart, kidneys, and lungs are perfectly fine.

I am scared, as there are man turns this could take. 

This was more a vent for me then anything.

Thanks for reading
Hey Parm,

I can't imagine what you must be feeling, but take some solace in that the doctors are finding the source of the issue and can then formulate a plan for how to address it.  It sounds like things are linked together, so hopefully there will be a path towards recovery and that will clear up all the linked issues as well.  Attitude is everything, so try to stay positive with it.  You've made great strides, even if these issues are currently setting you back.  It doesn't mean you've failed, it means you have a new challenge ahead of you.  I think you've shown that you know how to face a challenge.  I also want you to know that there are people around here that are pulling for you, whether it be through prayer, or just good thoughts and well wishes.

Keep strong.

Hey Parm,

I can't imagine what you must be feeling, but take some solace in that the doctors are finding the source of the issue and can then formulate a plan for how to address it.  It sounds like things are linked together, so hopefully there will be a path towards recovery and that will clear up all the linked issues as well.  Attitude is everything, so try to stay positive with it.  You've made great strides, even if these issues are currently setting you back.  It doesn't mean you've failed, it means you have a new challenge ahead of you.  I think you've shown that you know how to face a challenge.  I also want you to know that there are people around here that are pulling for you, whether it be through prayer, or just good thoughts and well wishes.

Keep strong.
Well said Foos.  T&P's for you Parm.  Hoping they can get things right for you ASAP and you can feel and live a more normal life without all these health issues.  Stay strong.  You got this!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll echo the sentiment that at least the docs are finidng the problem. They can't fix what they don't know, so here's hoping they get you fixed up soon.

We're pretty good around here at pulling together and sending positive vibes/prayers/thoughts/etc. Keep us posted on things and we'll do our part.

Update:

Spent 5 days in hospital and got home last night.  Went to emerg on Sat morning with severe pain, short of breath, dizziness.  Lots of tests in emerg, and they admitted me to a medical floor due to the excessive fluid.

All auto-immune diseases have been ruled out.  Kidneys are fine, spleen is enlarged, gall bladder full of stones.  The big concern is the cirrhosis and the fluid.  Yesterday, they decided to try to tap the abdomen and try to drain some of the fluid off.  The ultrasound showed a huge fluid pocket, and they estimated that there could be up to 12-15 LITRES of fluid in the abdomen.  They were able to reach the pocket the first shot, and within 1 hr, had drained of 2 full bags (5.5 LITRES, about 1.5 gallons) of fluid.  That is the maximum they could safely do in one tap.  After receiving an Albumin infusion, I was discharged home, and will have a follow up soon to determine the next tap.

In the 5 days I was in hospital on 2 different diuretics and the tap, I lost 22 pounds.

Now, I am home, but am very weak, light headed, but have more answers an something to look forward to.

Parm

Update:

Spent 5 days in hospital and got home last night.  Went to emerg on Sat morning with severe pain, short of breath, dizziness.  Lots of tests in emerg, and they admitted me to a medical floor due to the excessive fluid.

All auto-immune diseases have been ruled out.  Kidneys are fine, spleen is enlarged, gall bladder full of stones.  The big concern is the cirrhosis and the fluid.  Yesterday, they decided to try to tap the abdomen and try to drain some of the fluid off.  The ultrasound showed a huge fluid pocket, and they estimated that there could be up to 12-15 LITRES of fluid in the abdomen.  They were able to reach the pocket the first shot, and within 1 hr, had drained of 2 full bags (5.5 LITRES, about 1.5 gallons) of fluid.  That is the maximum they could safely do in one tap.  After receiving an Albumin infusion, I was discharged home, and will have a follow up soon to determine the next tap.

In the 5 days I was in hospital on 2 different diuretics and the tap, I lost 22 pounds.

Now, I am home, but am very weak, light headed, but have more answers an something to look forward to.

Parm
Sorry to hear about your problems Parm. Hope they can get it figured out.

Parmcat said:
Update:

Parm

Damn - good luck Parm - you can do this. 

Wow, good luck Parm. That's a crazy amount of fluid to have drained out, especially when they think there's even more. I mean, weight-wise, that's like 20-30 pounds of fluid you had/have built up. Insane. 

Update:

Last week I saw internal medicine for a follow up, and then on Friday saw the Hepatologist.  They again tapped my abdomen, and took off a further 10 litres of fluid (approx. 2 1/2 gallons)  which was about 17pounds. 

I am scheduled for an upper endoscopy next week, and hen the conversation gets serious.  He is referring me to the transplant team for assessment.  Currently, I sit right on the fence for qualification, but if he gets the process started, and things decompensate quickly, I am on the list.

There are so many issues that we now have to face...financial concerns, benefits, pension a work.....

The stress is really starting to wear me down, and I already have no energy

Significant update:

Things not going well.  I spend all day on Tuesday in emerg with what started as unreal belly pain that went right through to my back. The pain was severe for about 45 min and then eased off.  They did all the tests you would expect, and I was there for 13 hrs.  They ruled out a pulmonary embolism, DVT, and gall bladder.

What they found was my liver is very very large and fatty, which I knew before my bariatric surgery.  It has gotten worse, not better.  They say I have non-alcoholic cirrhosis, as there is lots of scarring on the liver.  The fluid problem I have been having is related.  I have a very large amount of fluid in the abdominal cavity, called Ascites, which is not only making the hernia worse, it is pushing on my stomach, so I can not eat anything of significance, pushing on my spleen, and my diaphragm.  The fluid is in the legs, both upper and lower, and I have constant pain from all the pressure.

Yesterday I spent the day at the urgent internal medicine clinic.  They are running tests to rule out things, like hepatitis, HIV, and other auto-immune diseases.  I have started on 2 different diuretics, and am waiting for a referral to a Hepatologist appt.  The first priority is to get rid of some of the fluid, then to determine why it is being produced and not circulating

My heart, kidneys, and lungs are perfectly fine.

I am scared, as there are man turns this could take. 

This was more a vent for me then anything.

Thanks for reading
hang in there.  At least you went in and they are looking at the problem and can and will help you.

im not a doctor but my guess is it would/could have been worse if you didn't loose a bunch of weight so you have that going for you.

You got this Parm.  Just think of all the weight you lost! :)

It will be tough, but you are tougher.  Focus on your recovery, the other stuff will work itself out.  Getting stressed won't solve those challenges, and will just make your recovery even tougher.

You got this Parm.  Just think of all the weight you lost!  :thumbup:

Inch by inch everything's a cinch!!!

GL GB!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Best wishes.  I hope you don't need a transplant, but if you do, that you get it and it all works out.

Wondering how you're doing @Parmcat...
Hey @Nigel  Thanks for thinking of me.

I have been feeling pretty crappy the last week.  Tomorrow I have an upper endoscopy booked and then will probably need my abdomen tapped again.

Today I found out that my referral to the transplant team has been made.  Now I wait for an assessment, and go from there.

Weight is down a fair bit....226lbs.  was 348 this time last year, but I am barely eating 800 calories a day right now.

Thanks again

Yeah, long term WLS is the right decision for 95% of people.  I truly believe that.  

There clearly was some damage done by previous indulgences and hopefully this doesn't lead to the transplant.  

I have no idea what your Dr. are saying as far as your diet needs. I wouldn't have a clue what to suggest, just make sure you are getting some good advice with the idea that you might be able to still avoid a transplant.

I just wanted to tell you I'm thinking about you.  Hope all is well.
Thank you for thinking of me.

It has not been a good stretch.  I went into hospital last Wednesday with nausea, vomiting, diarrhea and a fever of 39.4.  They found I had a very bad infection inside the bowel, and I was admitted and stayed in until Tuesday, so a week.  While I was in, I was tapped again,, and this time they took off 11.4 liters.  Have started on a NO SALT diet and this really sucks.

I head back in today to get tapped again....one week since the last one, so I am curious as too how much has built up again.

My head gets very foggy as the day goes on, so I have had to start walking with a roller walker.  It is due to hepatic encephalopathy which is a build up of ammonia that get into the brain, as the liver doesn't do its job anymore.

I have a date with the transplant assessment team in December, but I hope to have it bumped up sooner.

The only positive right now was I got to see my oldest son win the high school city football championship yesterday. 

I really wish I had a better update

Thank you for thinking of me.

It has not been a good stretch.  I went into hospital last Wednesday with nausea, vomiting, diarrhea and a fever of 39.4.  They found I had a very bad infection inside the bowel, and I was admitted and stayed in until Tuesday, so a week.  While I was in, I was tapped again,, and this time they took off 11.4 liters.  Have started on a NO SALT diet and this really sucks.

I head back in today to get tapped again....one week since the last one, so I am curious as too how much has built up again.

My head gets very foggy as the day goes on, so I have had to start walking with a roller walker.  It is due to hepatic encephalopathy which is a build up of ammonia that get into the brain, as the liver doesn't do its job anymore.

I have a date with the transplant assessment team in December, but I hope to have it bumped up sooner.

The only positive right now was I got to see my oldest son win the high school city football championship yesterday. 

I really wish I had a better update
Pulling for you Parm.  You can beat this!.

As someone who is planning to have this in the next 6 months, I have to admit that this turn in the thread is freaking me out a little.

As someone who is planning to have this in the next 6 months, I have to admit that this turn in the thread is freaking me out a little.
I feel for Parmkat but unfortunately his experience looks to be exceptional.  I am currently recovering from RNY (8 Nov) and so far, so good.  Feeling great, a little sore today and fatigued but every day feeling better.  I figured if the insurance company was willing to pay for the procedure it is something I really needed to do.  Absolutely no regrets, everyone I have spoke to that has had this done says its the best thing they have done their entire life and wish they'd done it years earlier.  Hang in there Parmcat!

Nothing here seems to be a surgery complication.  But I'm not a dr.  WLS will extend your life. That's a certainty. 

This issue I have with my liver was there a long time before I had the bariatric surgery.  The actual treatment for fatty liver disease is in fact weight loss, so I was doing everything right.  I just got dealt a bad liver.  I have never smoked, I was a very casual drinker, but I was overweight, It was just bad luck for me.

My surgery was last December, and I am down about 130 pounds or so.  That is a bit misleading because, I have also had fluid drained, but it comes back.  PLUS, I am experiencing massive muscle degeneration.  I am now battling to not lose any more muscle with a higher fat/calorie diet.

It really is a battle!

I feel for Parmkat but unfortunately his experience looks to be exceptional.  I am currently recovering from RNY (8 Nov) and so far, so good.  Feeling great, a little sore today and fatigued but every day feeling better.  I figured if the insurance company was willing to pay for the procedure it is something I really needed to do.  Absolutely no regrets, everyone I have spoke to that has had this done says its the best thing they have done their entire life and wish they'd done it years earlier.  Hang in there Parmcat!

My wife had RNY 3 years ago...best thing she ever did.......all the best to you!

This issue I have with my liver was there a long time before I had the bariatric surgery.  The actual treatment for fatty liver disease is in fact weight loss, so I was doing everything right.  I just got dealt a bad liver.  I have never smoked, I was a very casual drinker, but I was overweight, It was just bad luck for me.

My surgery was last December, and I am down about 130 pounds or so.  That is a bit misleading because, I have also had fluid drained, but it comes back.  PLUS, I am experiencing massive muscle degeneration.  I am now battling to not lose any more muscle with a higher fat/calorie diet.

It really is a battle!

Quoting on phone is weird.

As a fat guy, how will I know if this is something that I would encounter after my surgery? They are talking about a boatload of tests before going through the surgery and that reassures me, but I guess my fear is doing a voluntary surgery is just asking for issues.

As a fat guy, how will I know if this is something that I would encounter after my surgery? They are talking about a boatload of tests before going through the surgery and that reassures me, but I guess my fear is doing a voluntary surgery is just asking for issues.
I came to the conclusion that the surgery wasn't really voluntary.  At 5"9" and 290lbs I was morbidly obese.  I, like most bariatric patients my age (60) , had a 30 year history of yo-yo dieting weight loss - you know the story/routine.  I became a realist and at age 60, with multiple attempts knew that this was/is my last hurrah.  Mayo Clinic studies show that only 5% of morbidly obese people will lose sufficient weight by regular dieting and exercise.  Yes. I was anxious about having the surgery, that I might be tempting fate, but it was clear if I didn't lose weight (75-100lbs) I was sure to develop diabetes, heart disease and the associated maladies with being obese is just a matter of time.  My primary care physician says I am probably going to add 5-10 years to my life.  Granted I could drop dead tomorrow with a heart attack but you cannot argue statistics.   IMO you are asking for issues if you don't have this surgery.  

As someone stated above, you will have a years worth of testing before you get close to this surgery.  If you are morbidly obese, and are qualifying for the WLS, there is a very good chance you have a fatty liver.  By no means does that mean you will have cirrhosis, or even liver issues.  This is all stuff that will be discussed during your workup.

Users who are viewing this thread