Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Parmcat

HEALTH UPDATE...RECIEVED A LIVER

11 minutes ago, AhrnCityPahnder said:

Crap.  I haven't seen this thread in a long time.    Sorry to read all this from Parm -- last I knew he was post surgery and having issues but hadn't been diagnosed.   

Hang in there Parm -- sending good mojo your way.  :drive:

@Parmcat 

Maybe i dont know how to read profiles but hasnt posted since april? Still shows logged in :shrug: 

2 hours ago, culdeus said:

@Parmcat 

Maybe i dont know how to read profiles but hasnt posted since april? Still shows logged in :shrug: 

Hey Guys,

I still here.  Not posting much.  I am still waiting for my liver transplant.  Every day is a struggle.  Constant pain, weak and wobbly legs, walking with a walker or cane.  Can\i sleep, headaches, vision is changing......

I never know when I get out of bed what kind of day it will be.

Then, there is the mood.  My mood has changed.  MY fuse is really short, and some days I snap pretty easily.  There are dark thoughts, and I try to stay away from them.  My support team is huge.  I am so lucky to be surrounded by an awesome family, and so many friends I have not seen for years, have come out of the woodwork to help and support.

I will try to keep this updated.  My GOFUNDME page has been a success, but no donors have been a match

Thank you for thinking about me!

Parm

PS...I will answer any questions if you want to ask....go ahead

• Like 1

My version is thankfully better than Parm's. I am down a total of 116 from my top weight and while there are still some issues that are annoying, I will take those semi minor things for the way weight is dropping off if me.

The caloric drop is something that takes sometime to mentally adjust to. Going out to eat means taking home leftovers (something that was never done before)  or ordering an appitizer only and still maybe not finishing that because you are full.

I have a friend who has eaten his way out of the surgery and I refuse to end up like that. Watching him cram fries down his gullet at draft night made me satisfied with my progress and reinforced my desires to get there. 

The surgery is only life changing if you change your life along with it. I still only eat between 1000 and 1200 calories a day and while I can have some grumpy moments, I can push through.

• Like 3

Woah, don't think I ever opened this thread before. I only did because a friend recently had the surgery and I thought I'd see how things went in here.

Sorry to read what you've been going through, Parm. Hang in there bud, I hope for better days to come.

Would this have been worse if you hadn't had the surgery, being that you'd have the extra weight to carry on top of it?

1 hour ago, jamny said:

Woah, don't think I ever opened this thread before. I only did because a friend recently had the surgery and I thought I'd see how things went in here.

Sorry to read what you've been going through, Parm. Hang in there bud, I hope for better days to come.

Would this have been worse if you hadn't had the surgery, being that you'd have the extra weight to carry on top of it?

I\m not sure.  When I had the bariatric surgery, the surgeon said at that time I had a fatty liver and it wasn't long after that I ended up in hospital the first  time

The extra weight wasn't helping

6 minutes ago, Parmcat said:

I am a very lucky guy.  What an incredible gift to receive right before Christmas.  

Love your attitude Parm.  Great news, and good luck with the ongoing recovery!

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Parmcat said:

Hello friends,

I have been offline for a long time due to my ongoing health issues.  In Sept 2016 I was told that I had NASH disease, and would eventually require a new liver.  On Dec 8/16 I was put on the transplant list.  I have not been able to work since Sept 16, due to the illness.  Since that time, I have progressively gotten worse health wise.  Muscle wasting, weakness, lethargy, pain, ascities, unsteady on feet, memory lose, fogginess, word dropping.  It was aweful  So, since Sept of this year, I was called into the hospital 2x for a potential liver, but both times I was sent home as the liver was not viable.  This emotional rollercoaster takes it toll.  I was beginning to think this may never happen.  Then on Dec 6th, I was called to the hospital again around dinner time.  There may be a liver for me, but they wouldn't know until after midnight.  I was in my hospital bed, and at 4:45 am, a Dr came into my room and said I had to be in the OR in 1 hr.  It was surreal.  I was not scared, but am eerie calm fell over me.  My wife and 2 boys were there with me, and walked with me to the OR.  Approx 7 hrs later I was in the ICU.  I was only there for 28 hrs, and then was transferred to the transplant unit.  Physio started on day 3 post op, and I was up walking....very gingerly.  Each day I got a bit better, and on day 8 post op, I was discharged home.  I am back in hospital every 2 days for bloodwork to monitor my anti rejection medication.  Yesterday I had half of the 70 or so staples removed from my incision.  I have lost a lot of weight, as there is little appetite right now. Today is 16 days post op.

I am a very lucky guy.  What an incredible gift to receive right before Christmas.  

I am happy to answer any questions.....Its good to be back

Parm

Wow Parm, that's incredible.  Sending great recovery thoughts your way!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, bigmarc27 said:

Just because I’m curious, what’s your height / weight?

Currently about 6'1 and 255 or so

5 minutes ago, [scooter] said:

Who was the donor? :oldunsure:

Unknown.  It was not a living donor

So stoked for you!! Merry Christmas to you and your family. I suspect Christmas is going to hold a bit more meaning for you guys from here on out.

• Like 2

Great news, parm! Best/happiest thoughts for continued ###-kicking during your recovery. 

What a great way for you and your family too head into the new year after such a rough 2017... All the best!

• Like 1

Great news Parm. Continued T&Ps.  I may pm you with some questions because my wife just went on the liver wait list 12/11/17.  

1 hour ago, D-Day said:

Great news Parm. Continued T&Ps.  I may pm you with some questions because my wife just went on the liver wait list 12/11/17.  

ANYTIME!!!!

Merry Christmas and congrats, Parm!  I have often wondered how you've been doing.  What a wonderful thing to hear in time for the holidays!  BE WELL!!  :)

Very happy to see this.  My MIL died on the table getting her transplant, and honestly I was worried for you.  The Dr. at Yale told us she would have been as good as new almost immediately if it worked.  Do you feel like a million bucks already?

Edited by PIK95
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, PIK95 said:

Very happy to see this.  My MIL died on the table getting her transplant, and honestly I was worried for you.  The Dr. at Yale told us she would have been as good as new almost immediately if it worked.  Do you feel like a million bucks already?

Yes,

Aside from the normal post op recovery pain, I feel great.

I had a few bumps, but all feels good now

• Like 6

18 hours ago, Parmcat said:

Yes,

Aside from the normal post op recovery pain, I feel great.

I had a few bumps, but all feels good now

Awesome outcome. Happy things are on the upswing for you. 

Thank you for all the well wishes and kind thoughts.

This has been quite the Christmas

• Like 6

Just back from my clinic appointment.  All my labs came back "Perfect".  Have to follow up weekly now to monitor the anti rejection levels.  This road is starting to get smoother.  

Big things in the not so distant future!

• Like 16

35 minutes ago, Parmcat said:

Just back from my clinic appointment.  All my labs came back "Perfect".  Have to follow up weekly now to monitor the anti rejection levels.  This road is starting to get smoother.  

Big things in the not so distant future!

Great news!