What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

STAR WARS: EP 7 ***SPOILER ZONE*** - Go here if you've seen it (1 Viewer)

Awesome movie. When you watch that you see why people hated the prequels so much. It just felt like Star Wars.

I never expected a deep plot, and I think any criticism this movie gets will be them going to the giant planet destroying weapon for the third time, but I mean this is Star Wars. Complex movie plots aren't needed.

Acting was off the charts good.

I think Rey and Finn are awesome. I love all the new characters.

The Solo death was shocking even though you kind of saw it coming. I thought Ford was awesome in this one and he had such great rapport with the new guys that I started to think he'd last another movie before his death.
Agree with all of this except for the "I love all the new characters" part.I was not a fan of Kylo Ren. For one, he looks like the ******* child of Jim Morrison and Joey Ramone without his mask (emphasis on Ramone), but I did not like the way he delivered a lot of his lines. Maybe I'll care more about him in later movies, but let's also consider this: He got the #### kicked out of him by Rey, who only discovered she has force powers maybe a few hours before their fight. I get that he turned on Luke while still an unfinished product, but Luke fared much better when he fought Daddy Vader, who was a badass mofo and not a newb like Rey.

Aside from that, I really enjoyed it. Kylo's not beyond redemption, IMO.
There is more to Rey than meets the eye I think. Her back story will be cause of much speculation. Early in the movie she dominated those storm troopers with a weapon. Not sure how or where she was trained, but she was obviously skilled in fighting. Also Kylo was hurt from the Bowcaster.Man what a psycho he was, hitting his side where he got shot, destroying stuff with his light saber due to his anger and ultimately killing his dad. I have a feeling he's going to become super powerful once his training is finished.

Actor was super weird looking.
Good point on the Kylo being hurt thing, I actually forgot about that amidst my post-movie giddiness.Yeah, he's a psycho and yeah he's got potential. But man does he have a beak for a nose.
Good looking swash-buckler and hot princess have super weird looking gangly guy. Those looks probably set him on the path to darkness.

Paid great homage to the old movies while standing on it's own. Definitely one I'll watch again. The Nazi symbolizm is back. Ford had a much bigger role than I thought. I really liked the pilot guy too, the rebel squadron leader, I forget his name. Chick was pretty to look at. I thought they accentuated her beauty in her "force awakening" scene against the homeliness of Kylo.

Paid great homage to the old movies while standing on it's own. Definitely one I'll watch again. The Nazi symbolizm is back. Ford had a much bigger role than I thought. I really liked the pilot guy too, the rebel squadron leader, I forget his name. Chick was pretty to look at. I thought they accentuated her beauty in her "force awakening" scene against the homeliness of Kylo.
All that was missing in the one "nazi" scene was a small moustache and a swastika.

Great movie. Superb. Couldn't be happier.

Kinda think they went to the Death Star well one time too many, especially since that's pretty much what Rogue One is supposed to be about, but whatever. Just so much fun. Loved it.

Really enjoyed it. Still not sure how Rey bested a trained former almost Jedi and presumably number 2 bad guy but whatevs. And the whole "let's torture Poe instead of just 'force'ing him to give us what we want" was a little Austin Powers-y. Nerds gonna nerd but I'm over it. Ultimately I felt like a kid again and yet now as an adult could really appreciate actual film making.

Loved it. Kyloren should've kept the mask on. I didn't need to see Vinny Barbarino, Sith Lord.

Weren't Han and Leia supposed to have twins ? I figured that's who Rey was.

Only minor nit-picks overall. Awesome movie in the end. Felt like Rey found her powers far too easily, but part of that seemed to be an overly-obvious attempt at first trilogy nostalgia. Could have used a little more uniqueness and less ANH remake.

That said, the acting and overall quality was first rate; much better than any of the others, and for all the predictability it was more than a little enjoyable. Rey and Finn had great rapport both with each other and with Harrison Ford.

I'm thinking Rey has to be Han and Leia's, probably a twin to Ren. (Note the name similarity!) Luke was a Jedi, and the Jedi generally didn't take wives or have children..wasn't that a huge part of Vader's downfall? That would still make Luke her uncle.

Only minor nit-picks overall. Awesome movie in the end. Felt like Rey found her powers far too easily, but part of that seemed to be an overly-obvious attempt at first trilogy nostalgia. Could have used a little more uniqueness and less ANH remake.

That said, the acting and overall quality was first rate; much better than any of the others, and for all the predictability it was more than a little enjoyable. Rey and Finn had great rapport both with each other and with Harrison Ford.

I'm thinking Rey has to be Han and Leia's, probably a twin to Ren. (Note the name similarity!) Luke was a Jedi, and the Jedi generally didn't take wives or have children..wasn't that a huge part of Vader's downfall? That would still make Luke her uncle.
I don't think Ren is a part of his given name...He's a Knight of Ren so I think its a name he took after he turned.

Awesome movie. Hit all the right notes and some that I didn't even realize I was looking for in a new Star Wars movie. Great mix of humor in there as well, really well done. Except maybe the one line where Finn says "droid, please!" which was a little cutesy. But overall really really well done.

If I had to have a small gripe, it would be the initial scene between Han and Leia being a little too expositiony...lots of backstory crammed into those four sentences or so, little clumsy. I didn't care though, it worked.

I don't think anyone with a genuine love for the originals can bring much against this movie...any reviews that are overly critical will not be from true Star Wars fans.

It was fun and a good movie. It's also pretty damn derivative. Thought there were a few steps too far, like bringing back the Falcon, the Hitler salute, Death Star III, and starting on a Tatooine stand-in. But overall I enjoyed it and will want to see it again.

Last edited by a moderator:
This was definitely aimed at creating legions of new Star Wars fans by trying to recapture Ep IV.

I thought it was great, may be my favorite, especially since I don't have original trilogy nostalgia like all you older nerds. ;)

So people not buying Rey taking out Kylo; tells me that she's way more powerful in the force. Could she be a full Skywalker/Jedi born from two with force powers whereas Kylo was born of only one? Or could Rey also be an immaculate conception like Anakin was, and be the second coming?

Can't wait for The Empire Str... errrr I mean Episode VIII!

I enjoyed it, the comedy was too much IMO. Felt like Solo has been moonlighting as a stand up on the weekends, he was trying hard with the comedy.

What was with the Nazi moment by the First Order?

Excellent, loved Rey, hot, easy to look at, but the new characters blended in and obviously a lot of similarities to A New Hope. Good humor, love the lite saber battle in the forest.

Obviously, the plot wasn't very deep (3rd Death Star type weapon, a plan (not really) created in 5 minutes to destroy it, Rey being as good as she was in the right although the bad guy wasn't fully trained, and was injured although he completed his journey by killing Han.)

Loved it.

So people not buying Rey taking out Kylo; tells me that she's way more powerful in the force. Could she be a full Skywalker/Jedi born from two with force powers whereas Kylo was born of only one? Or could Rey also be an immaculate reception like Anakin was, and be the second coming?

Can't wait for The Empire Str... errrr I mean Episode VIII!

I enjoyed it, the comedy was too much IMO. Felt like Solo has been moonlighting as a stand up on the weekends, he was trying hard with the comedy.
Can see the next movie being the rise of the Empire (or First Order if they keep that name). Kylo will be a force, his master will be revealed (more), and Luke will take on a Yoda roe for Rey. Can see him dying in a battle in the next movie.

No Empire music in this movie, but it's no longer the Empire. Could a rise of the Empire bring back that music?

So were those just his soldier instincts and stormtrooper training kicking in, or is Finn also Force sensitive? He didn't show any signs other than semi-competence with a light saber.

Awesome movie. When you watch that you see why people hated the prequels so much. It just felt like Star Wars.

I never expected a deep plot, and I think any criticism this movie gets will be them going to the giant planet destroying weapon for the third time, but I mean this is Star Wars. Complex movie plots aren't needed.

The Solo death was shocking even though you kind of saw it coming. I thought Ford was awesome in this one and he had such great rapport with the new guys that I started to think he'd last another movie before his death.
Agree with all of this except for the "I love all the new characters" part.

I was not a fan of Kylo Ren. For one, he looks like the ******* child of Jim Morrison and Joey Ramone without his mask (emphasis on Ramone), but I did not like the way he delivered a lot of his lines. Maybe I'll care more about him in later movies, but let's also consider this: He got the #### kicked out of him by Rey, who only discovered she has force powers maybe a few hours before their fight. I get that he turned on Luke while still an unfinished product, but Luke fared much better when he fought Daddy Vader when HE was an unfinished product himself. Of course, Vader was a badass mofo and not a newb like Rey.

My one criticism is how Kylo unmasked for Rey in the middle of the movie. That shouldn't have been done until revealing himself to Solo at the end.

Agree with all of this except for the "I love all the new characters" part.I was not a fan of Kylo Ren. For one, he looks like the ******* child of Jim Morrison and Joey Ramone without his mask (emphasis on Ramone), but I did not like the way he delivered a lot of his lines. Maybe I'll care more about him in later movies, but let's also consider this: He got the #### kicked out of him by Rey, who only discovered she has force powers maybe a few hours before their fight. I get that he turned on Luke while still an unfinished product, but Luke fared much better when he fought Daddy Vader when HE was an unfinished product himself. Of course, Vader was a badass mofo and not a newb like Rey.

My one criticism is how Kylo unmasked for Rey in the middle of the movie. That shouldn't have been done until revealing himself to Solo at the end.
To me that showed he wasn't a monster like Rey called him, and he's still struggling between the dark and light side.

Agree with all of this except for the "I love all the new characters" part.I was not a fan of Kylo Ren. For one, he looks like the ******* child of Jim Morrison and Joey Ramone without his mask (emphasis on Ramone), but I did not like the way he delivered a lot of his lines. Maybe I'll care more about him in later movies, but let's also consider this: He got the #### kicked out of him by Rey, who only discovered she has force powers maybe a few hours before their fight. I get that he turned on Luke while still an unfinished product, but Luke fared much better when he fought Daddy Vader when HE was an unfinished product himself. Of course, Vader was a badass mofo and not a newb like Rey.

To me that showed he wasn't a monster like Rey called him, and he's still struggling between the dark and light side.
I can see that. Given his conversation with Han before killing him, that makes sense.

My sons favorite line was when Rey was trying to get the stormtrooper to free her. After she figures out the Bene Gesserit weirding voice tactic, she gets free and then tells him to lay down his gun.

"And I'll lay down my gun.'

I can see that. Given his conversation with Han before killing him, that makes sense.
It did surprise me though. Seeing some leaked pictures I was thinking he only wore it in battle and didn't wear it too often. But as the movie progressed I then assumed he lost it in a battle. Never expected him to take it off like that, that soon.

So at the end, Chewie walks right by Leia and her big hug goes to Ren, a girl she had never met (as far as we know). Was that a gaffe, or do they have some history together that ties into whatever Ren was waiting for on Jakku?

And why does my android phone dictionary know Chewbacca and Leia but not Chewie or R2D2?

For you all saying Ray could be Han and Leia's kid........isn't that something they would kind of know? :unsure:

They definitely set her up to be Luke's kid IMO. The whole light saber scene was for that.

Sucked watching Han die though, even though you knew it was coming.

I know they mentioned it but why weren't they using the clones anymore? Also noticed a chick working on the Death Star planet. Kylo did not have the gravitas of Vader or Darth Maul to me. Just seemed kind of like a watered down Vader.

I kept expecting Luke to show up and save the day when Rey and Finn were fighting Kylo Ren. Since they seemed to be overmatched as others have mentioned.

I'm thinking they're going to do something of a sendoff movie for Hans/Leia/Chewie/Luke. This one was for Hans, next will be Leia/Chewie then finally Luke.

What I didn't like:

I didn't like how Ray can fly a ship and perform moves better than Han, I don't like how she can fix everything and I mean EVERYTHING. I don't like how she beat Kylo in the saber fight with 0 training. I understand Kylo was hurt, but throughout the whole movie you're thinking this guy is bad ###. He's so powerful he stops a laser blast in mid air and holds it, but some how she beats him.

Death Star 3.0 not only is it bigger but can destroy multiple planets at once. They made sure to point out how much bigger it is. Thing is it didn't even phase the rebals. In Ep. 4 Leia risks life to get the plans to find a weakness. In this one they see a photo and come up with a plan in 30 seconds. Oh and the sanitation storm trooper knows how to destroy the whole thing? Of course he does.

Did Carrie Fisher have too much Botox or something?

What I did like:

I liked the imagery of the movie. JJ knows how to shoot a movie and some of the dialog was funny.

Ep. 1-3 and the comics the Jedi and Sith are almost super heroes doing crazy flips and super dash etc... they really scaled that back. I don't know if it's because Kylo is still learning and Ray just discovered her powers, but I like it's not crazy over the top.

I like the idea of a sith being tempted by the light side. I thought it was a cool throwback to Ep.4 where high ranking a official talked back to Vader just like that admiral talks back to Kylo.

Kylo is ball of hot fire and the rage controls him. Everyone on that ship knows it which is why those two stromtroops saw what was happening in the torture room and turned tail quick.

All in all I give it a just okay.

Sucked watching Han die though, even though you knew it was coming.

I know they mentioned it but why weren't they using the clones anymore? Also noticed a chick working on the Death Star planet. Kylo did not have the gravitas of Vader or Darth Maul to me. Just seemed kind of like a watered down Vader.
That was the point.

What was the point? Was his voice the guy who play Xerxes in 300? Sounded like him to me. The face didn't match though, or did it? I don't think so.

What was the point? Was his voice the guy who play Xerxes in 300? Sounded like him to me. The face didn't match though, or did it? I don't think so.
Yes the voice is the actor's own voice altered a little by the gizmo in the mask.

Man, I can't wait to see it again! Everything we've been waiting for.

I thought they did a really good job of introducing all of the old stuff - Han/Chewy, the Falcon, C3PO, R2D2, Vader's mask and lightsaber. All very well done IMO.

Rey's powers were being discussed on another board - namely that she developed them so quickly. While Luke had to go through all that training, Rey almost instantly learned how to use the force. (did those "flashbacks" help?) I guess they can explain that away pretty easily though, they could reveal she has an even higher midichlorian count than Vader.

So at the end, Chewie walks right by Leia and her big hug goes to Ren, a girl she had never met (as far as we know). Was that a gaffe, or do they have some history together that ties into whatever Ren was waiting for on Jakku?
She's Leia's niece, so they got the whole family vibe going.

What I didn't like:

I didn't like how Ray can fly a ship and perform moves better than Han, I don't like how she can fix everything and I mean EVERYTHING. I don't like how she beat Kylo in the saber fight with 0 training. I understand Kylo was hurt, but throughout the whole movie you're thinking this guy is bad ###. He's so powerful he stops a laser blast in mid air and holds it, but some how she beats him.
The force is that strong in her. Are we forgetting that Anakin was the best pilot in the galaxy? And was the only human ever to be able to pod race, and at the age of nine?

I don't think Ren is a part of his given name...He's a Knight of Ren so I think its a name he took after he turned.
Didn't Han yell out "Ben" when confronting him on the bridge? Maybe I misheard but I just assumed it was a tribute to Kenobi.

Users who are viewing this thread