What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

STAR WARS: EP 7 ***SPOILER ZONE*** - Go here if you've seen it (1 Viewer)

Kylo Ren will go down as the weakest bad guy in Star Wars. His powers were similar to that of Luke in Empire. The guy is not full Jedi or near it, this having to complete his training. He uses his emotions which enable the Dark Side a little more power.

Who is Rey? I hope she is not of any relation to the Skywalkers. Did Han see her? Can't recall but he'd have a reaction like an uncle, or father if there was relation there. Leia might know her but there's be more than just a hug, imo.

Humor was alright, for the kids. BB was pretty cool. Knew it was coming but the best "chill" part was when R2D2 woke up. Game on! I don't think there is too much Dark Side stuff vs. men wanting to be powerful so we're gonna have this crazy army coming at you. That is what the Empire was. The Emperor ran it but there wasn't much Dark Side in the Empire.

My guess is Luke discovered her or maybe she's his niece. Either way, he learned of her ability to use the Force.

He starts training her but she was too young so he leaves, saying he'd come back to finish her training when she's older. But he never did because his nephew Ben (named after the greatest Jedi of all time btw) went all dark. His light saber started to return her old sensitivity to the Force. Maybe?

There's a prize for guessing right, isn't there? :)

Sucked watching Han die though, even though you knew it was coming.

I know they mentioned it but why weren't they using the clones anymore? Also noticed a chick working on the Death Star planet. Kylo did not have the gravitas of Vader or Darth Maul to me. Just seemed kind of like a watered down Vader.
The Kamino cloners don't work for free. They were contracted to build an army. Empire dies, so does their bank account.

Quick thoughts:

- Felt like a reboot and sequel, at the same time. Still don't know how I feel about that.

- In Rey's flashback with the light saber, was she one of the Jedi in training with Luke when Kylo went crazy (and Ren spared her?) Or was holding the lightsaber just giving her visions of what happened because it was Luke's? I was confused because it also looked like she saw her own flashback of being left in Jakku.

- Was Kylo's regular name Ben? It sounded like Han called him that.

- We haven't had much back-story on it, but I already think Kylo's turn to the dark side is more believable than Anakin's reasons that we saw 3 movies explaining.

- Saw this with my wife and taking my boys (12 & 7) on Saturday. My 7 year-old is going to lose his #### over this movie...until Han dies. I seriously think he's going to need counseling after.

- Gwendoline Christie and Lupita Nyongo were barely even cameo parts.

- Smoak seemed too cartoony. Maybe the other movies will explain more (is he a Wizard of Oz type?)

- I managed to avoid spoilers and was convinced, because Hamill has been off the interview circuit, no action figures, etc., that he was the big bad behind Kylo

- Fisher is 14 years younger than Ford and looks like she could be his mom. Really paying for that 70-80's party lifestyle.

- Is that Admiral Ackbar, I assume? But was that Nien Nunb and Sebulba flying ships for the Resistance, or just same alien races of those characters (like mini Greedo in Ep 1?)

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought mini Greedo was baby Greedo in ep 1.

Looking it up, Wookipedia agrees. Baby Greedo.

Quick thoughts:

- Felt like a reboot and sequel, at the same time. Still don't know how I feel about that.

- In Rey's flashback with the light saber, was she one of the Jedi in training with Luke when Kylo went crazy (and Ren spared her?) Or was holding the lightsaber just giving her visions of what happened because it was Luke's? I was confused because it also looked like she saw her own flashback of being left in Jakku.

- We haven't had much back-story on it, but I already think Kylo's turn to the dark side is more believable than Anakin's reasons that we saw 3 movies explaining.

- Saw this with my wife and taking my boys (12 & 7) on Saturday. My 7 year-old is going to lose his #### over this movie...until Han dies. I seriously think he's going to need counseling after.

- Smoak seemed too cartoony. Maybe the other movies will explain more (is he a Wizard of Oz type?)

- I managed to avoid spoilers and was convinced, because Hamill has been off the interview circuit, no action figures, etc., that he was the big bad behind Kylo

- Fisher is 14 years younger than Ford and looks like she could be his mom. Really paying for that 70-80's party lifestyle.

- Is that Admiral Ackbar, I assume? But was that Nien Nunb and Sebulba flying ships for the Resistance, or just same alien races of those characters (like mini Greedo in Ep 1?)
It was not Ackbar, wrong color, same race.

Can't say for certain on the other two but I doubt it. No idea how long either of their races live for but it seems unlikely they'd still be young enough to be "warriors" still.

Kylo Ren will go down as the weakest bad guy in Star Wars. His powers were similar to that of Luke in Empire. The guy is not full Jedi or near it, this having to complete his training. He uses his emotions which enable the Dark Side a little more power.

Who is Rey? I hope she is not of any relation to the Skywalkers. Did Han see her? Can't recall but he'd have a reaction like an uncle, or father if there was relation there. Leia might know her but there's be more than just a hug, imo.

Humor was alright, for the kids. BB was pretty cool. Knew it was coming but the best "chill" part was when R2D2 woke up. Game on! I don't think there is too much Dark Side stuff vs. men wanting to be powerful so we're gonna have this crazy army coming at you. That is what the Empire was. The Emperor ran it but there wasn't much Dark Side in the Empire.
Donald Trump

My sons favorite line was when Rey was trying to get the stormtrooper to free her. After she figures out the Bene Gesserit weirding voice tactic, she gets free and then tells him to lay down his gun.

"And I'll lay down my gun.'
Daniel Craig, aka James Bond, was that stormtrooper. Actually true.

I think Ren was weak because he was still battling internally over light/dark and afraid he wasn't going to be as powerful as Vader. Rey called him out on that last part. I think he lost against Rey beacuse her light force ability was weakening his darkness.

I think Han called him Ben too.

Carrie Fisher was bad. Completely stale.

Was expecting more from Capatin Phasma.

Didn't show anyone escaping from the planet but the resistance, that I saw. We all assume Ren made it off but my boys didn't.

Loved the battle scenes.

Han was great. Sad to see him go.

How much did Mark Hamill get paid for that movie?

Can't wait for next movie.

Only minor nit-picks overall. Awesome movie in the end. Felt like Rey found her powers far too easily, but part of that seemed to be an overly-obvious attempt at first trilogy nostalgia. Could have used a little more uniqueness and less ANH remake.

That said, the acting and overall quality was first rate; much better than any of the others, and for all the predictability it was more than a little enjoyable. Rey and Finn had great rapport both with each other and with Harrison Ford.

I'm thinking Rey has to be Han and Leia's, probably a twin to Ren. (Note the name similarity!) Luke was a Jedi, and the Jedi generally didn't take wives or have children..wasn't that a huge part of Vader's downfall? That would still make Luke her uncle.
Great review, I couldn't have said it better myself. For some reason we have a tendency to nitpick Star Wars movies. But clearly this movie is the most visually appealing Star Wars movie, it has the best acting by far with virtually no cringe-worthy moments, and it kept me on the edge of my seat the whole time. Yeah, once I analyze this movie with a fine tooth comb I'm sure there will be some things I don't like, but why live like that.

Please explain how Han and Leia's son turns to the Dark Side. I'll wait...
Wait for what? :confused:

He was seduced by the dark side just like his grandfather. If you're asking this question here then you have to ask the same question with Vader. It's kind of a well established and major plot line that an individual can be turned to the dark side. If you don't buy into this there's really no sense watching any of the Star Wars movies.

So people not buying Rey taking out Kylo; tells me that she's way more powerful in the force. Could she be a full Skywalker/Jedi born from two with force powers whereas Kylo was born of only one? Or could Rey also be an immaculate conception like Anakin was, and be the second coming?
That would make sense. In the Star Wars universe Luke's wife is Mara Jade who had force powers.
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Mara_Jade_Skywalker

What I didn't like:

I didn't like how Ray can fly a ship and perform moves better than Han, I don't like how she can fix everything and I mean EVERYTHING. I don't like how she beat Kylo in the saber fight with 0 training. I understand Kylo was hurt, but throughout the whole movie you're thinking this guy is bad ###. He's so powerful he stops a laser blast in mid air and holds it, but some how she beats him.
The force is that strong in her. Are we forgetting that Anakin was the best pilot in the galaxy? And was the only human ever to be able to pod race, and at the age of nine?
Two main criticisms I'm seeing are the death star and Rey. The Rey criticism I dont' understand. She's a grown woman and she's already very experienced in life. She didn't really use her force powers other than to stop Kylo from looking in her mind, telling one brainless Storm Trooper to let her go, and to beat a damaged Kylo Ren once she totally gave into the force.

Luke was an idiot teenager with virtually zero training and he somehow shut his computer off and blew up a deathstar by giving in to the force.

The internet is funny. It's like "we want a new awesome character", then when we get one they are "too awesome". Cmon world embrace it, she knocked it out of the park.

Quick thoughts:

It was not Ackbar, wrong color, same race.
It was Ackbar.

http://moviepilot.com/posts/2926085

I think it makes sense that the bad guys weren't super powerful quite yet. After ROTJ, the good guys won. In this one the First Order and the Good Guys seemed to be much closer in overall strength. After all when they landed on the planet in the initial fight that Solo was involved in, Kylo Ren and the First Order basically ran away because they were outnumbered.

They come off as trying a little too hard, but I think it's by design. If there was a 2nd empire that was already just as powerful as the Empire that was destroyed in ROTJ, that wouldn't seem right. This one was powerful, but not an unbeatable force.

Door is open to go in many directions, but I do think that the Dark Side will go into a shell for awhile and come out much stronger in Episode 8.

What I didn't like:

I didn't like how Ray can fly a ship and perform moves better than Han, I don't like how she can fix everything and I mean EVERYTHING. I don't like how she beat Kylo in the saber fight with 0 training. I understand Kylo was hurt, but throughout the whole movie you're thinking this guy is bad ###. He's so powerful he stops a laser blast in mid air and holds it, but some how she beats him.
The force is that strong in her. Are we forgetting that Anakin was the best pilot in the galaxy? And was the only human ever to be able to pod race, and at the age of nine?
Two main criticisms I'm seeing are the death star and Rey. The Rey criticism I dont' understand. She's a grown woman and she's already very experienced in life. She didn't really use her force powers other than to stop Kylo from looking in her mind, telling one brainless Storm Trooper to let her go, and to beat a damaged Kylo Ren once she totally gave into the force.

Luke was an idiot teenager with virtually zero training and he somehow shut his computer off and blew up a deathstar by giving in to the force.

The internet is funny. It's like "we want a new awesome character", then when we get one they are "too awesome". Cmon world embrace it, she knocked it out of the park.
Most people are miserable morons. HTH

Loved it. Loved Rey. Loved how they did Kylo. And Luke actually looked kinda badass at the end, which is remarkable given that he was the least "badass" person in the movies.

Oh, and I loved the humor.

I've not seen the movie but have read the spoilers (I don't care about spoilers and there's no chance I'm going to see this in the theater anyway).

Seems to me that the most common criticism I've seen is the incessant call-backs to the original trilogy. When you see BB-8 in the trailer, you think "ah, so that's the sequel's R2-D2." But you don't think that it's literally going to play the same role as R2-D2 with a character putting a message/map in that has to be delivered to the resistance. I'd expect there to be thematic parallels to the original trilogy. Want to get at the same Oedipal dynamic with Kylo and Han, sure. But those more resonant thematic parallels seem likely to get lost when every other scene is a call-out.

Now, I'm sure it's still an enjoyable movie. People say the cast is great and the action is fun and all that. But just as a story, it kind of bugs me.

I thought it was a really good movie. It was very much the A New Hope formula and a lot of fun. Great acting. Nothing overly cheesy. Head and shoulders above each prequel in every way possible.

Having said that, I have some issues or questions. They left a lot unanswered, but overall I was wholly satisfied, albeit silent, coming out of the theater.

Han definitely called him Ben to get his attention.

With Han's comedy routine all movie long, I'm surprised he didn't yell out "BENJAMIN ANAKIN ORGANA SOLO, YOU COME HERE RIGHT NOW OR IM GOING TO TAKE AWAY YOUR LIGHTSABER FOR GOOD THIS TIME YOUNG MAN!!!"

I've not seen the movie but have read the spoilers (I don't care about spoilers and there's no chance I'm going to see this in the theater anyway).

Seems to me that the most common criticism I've seen is the incessant call-backs to the original trilogy. When you see BB-8 in the trailer, you think "ah, so that's the sequel's R2-D2." But you don't think that it's literally going to play the same role as R2-D2 with a character putting a message/map in that has to be delivered to the resistance. I'd expect there to be thematic parallels to the original trilogy. Want to get at the same Oedipal dynamic with Kylo and Han, sure. But those more resonant thematic parallels seem likely to get lost when every other scene is a call-out.

Now, I'm sure it's still an enjoyable movie. People say the cast is great and the action is fun and all that. But just as a story, it kind of bugs me.
Well, the way the movie was done reminds me VERY much like how the Star Trek movie was rebooted. Took the same characters, but gave them a slightly different origin story because of a rift in the timeline. That made for a fantastic experience because we didn't have to suspend disbelief and pretend that the first Star Trek movies didn't exist -- they DO exist, just in a different universe.

JJ Abrams couldn't do that here, obviously. But he came close. He essentially told the same story with new characters. And it shouldn't be surprising!! Because -- and this is key -- isn't one of the big draws for Star Wars is that it tells some sort of "universal story"?

Made the mistake of going to reddit to read reviews. First critical review I read started off with:

"When Rey grabbed her dinner at the end, she let some of it spill over the side. There is no way a poor person that scavenged for parts for food would be so cavalier with their food".

Yeah, after that I realized reddit isn't the place to discuss the movie. :)

Loved the movie. It was a new hope-ish but what is wrong about that. Can't wait to rewatch...

By the way, Solo's death really hit women and children hard. That was quite a shocking moment for most. Yeah when he went walking out on the bridge you knew it was a bad idea, but that was great cinematography. That was the biggest gut-punch so far in all the Star Wars movies.

By the way, Solo's death really hit women and children hard. That was quite a shocking moment for most. Yeah when he went walking out on the bridge you knew it was a bad idea, but that was great cinematography. That was the biggest gut-punch so far in all the Star Wars movies.
Really the only gut punch.

Well, the way the movie was done reminds me VERY much like how the Star Trek movie was rebooted. Took the same characters, but gave them a slightly different origin story because of a rift in the timeline. That made for a fantastic experience because we didn't have to suspend disbelief and pretend that the first Star Trek movies didn't exist -- they DO exist, just in a different universe.

JJ Abrams couldn't do that here, obviously. But he came close. He essentially told the same story with new characters. And it shouldn't be surprising!! Because -- and this is key -- isn't one of the big draws for Star Wars is that it tells some sort of "universal story"?
Everyone expects it to tell a Hero's Journey. I get that. And as I said, I expect it to have thematic parallels. Fathers and sons, mentors and mentees, torches passing. All good.

But some of the fan service just sounds like the cinematic equivalent of the Chris Farley Show. "Remember that time when the Millennium Falcon was caught in a force field? ... That was awesome!"

When I look back and think how much screen time Solo got in TFA, to see him die isn't that much of a surprise. He got a nice long goodbye in this movie...which is OK.

Great movie. Superb. Couldn't be happier.

Kinda think they went to the Death Star well one time too many, especially since that's pretty much what Rogue One is supposed to be about, but whatever. Just so much fun. Loved it.
Yeah... This.

Loved the movie. I am suprised they did Death Star 3 though.

I believe they drew so much from IV because they're trying to make VII, VIII, IX the trilogy. This may be three remakes, which will disappoint folks, but it will more than likely be better content if VII is any indication.

I'm hoping VIII branches from the framework, but I won't be surprised if it doesn't.

I believe they drew so much from IV because they're trying to make VII, VIII, IX the trilogy. This may be three remakes, which will disappoint folks, but it will more than likely be better content if VII is any indication.

I'm hoping VIII branches from the framework, but I won't be surprised if it doesn't.
Based on what I saw last night I'm not expecting a lot of deviation going forward. Considering what happened with the prequels that may not be the worst thing in the world.

It's great story-telling. Set the stage with a victory, bad guys strike a huge blow, good guys pull it out.

I'm completely fine if we get origin, baddies, resolution. Like I said, if VII is any indication the new trilogy will surpass the old.

Seemed to me that at least Han knew who Rey is, at the table with Maz she asks him "so Han who is the girl?" And they switch the scene and you don't hear his answer. I think someone else was asked as well with no answer. So I think they know, we just haven't been told.

Although, when The Wire had all the "new" characters replace the "old" characters, it was pretty much accepted as greatness. Maybe this trilogy should be called "Star Wars: The Game Remains The Same."

I'm completely fine if we get origin, baddies, resolution. Like I said, if VII is any indication the new trilogy will surpass the old.
I totally agree. VII is a much better movie than IV in every way except for Vader. Vader was a much more complete villain than Kylo Ren in the opening movie. But Ren has the ability to become even more evil than Vader, imo. No villain will ever be as popular as Vader, as he might be the most popular villain in cinematic history.

Seemed to me that at least Han knew who Rey is, at the table with Maz she asks him "so Han who is the girl?" And they switch the scene and you don't hear his answer. I think someone else was asked as well with no answer. So I think they know, we just haven't been told.
This is what I'll be looking for on my second viewing.

What I didn't like:

It's a fine line. For Luke I'm going to assume he spent some time with the rebel fleet to learn how to fly an xwing. Rey went from being a junker to an amazing pilot, mechanic, sword fighter. Literially she ciuld do anything. Luke couldn't deflect a blast from a training bot when he first picked up a light saber. Somehow she can fight a sith and win? I was fine with her resisting the mind reading, fooling the ST to release her.

It's just something I didn't like. I would have liked if she was dialed back some

Sitting here at work getting nothing accomplished, ha. There are a ton of things to anticipate.

Rey is going to be a dynamite heroine, and Kylo Ren has a lot of room to rise as the one true villain. Would be awesome if he snaps on Snoke and just offs him in VIII.

I hope Finn gets a better treatment than the Fett storyline of the prequel trilogy. Don't lose him in the story please!

This is what I'll be looking for on my second viewing.
That part stood out to me. Seemed a very important question that they purposely just let go with no audible answer. Was when Finn got up from the table to talk to the pilots to get him off the planet.

Thing is, I have to believe Han knew who she was as not long after meeting up with her, he says he's thinking about offering her a job. Why do that so quickly unless he knows who she is? :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread