What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ruling? :: CBS had Hurns listed as OUT just before game time (1 Viewer)

meschrak

Footballguy
Hey everyone,

I have a scenario I want to bounce off the sharks.

In my CBS Sportsline league, Allen Hurns was listed as OUT just before game time on Sunday. According to CBS, it was a technical error and/or an issue with Rottowire's reporting.

My opponent swapped out Hurns for James Jones and is now trying to get our comish to allow Hurn's points to count. Comish has deferred to us to figure it out.

Since it was a technical error and clearly misleading, I think the gentlemanly thing to do would be to allow the points to count regardless of whether I win or lose. However, if James Jones would have blown up for 3 TDs, I bet I wouldn't be here writing this...

I have ODB going on MNF tonight, which could win the game for me making this moot, but I'd like to hear what your experiences are (if any) with this scenario.

What should I do?

EDIT: Apologies if this should be in Assistant Coach.. I wasn't sure.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dump Sportsline for a better site. Seriously though he played Jones...his decision. NFL.com has a nice list of inactives typically an hour plus before gametime so he could've checked other sites.

Gtfo he played Jones and that's it. Jesus some people don't wanna take responsibility for their own actions

If he called the Commish within 5 minutes of Hurns starting the game, then I'd let him have Hurns' points. But to sit back and wait to see how many points Jones scored? That's bush league.

If he called the Commish within 5 minutes of Hurns starting the game, then I'd let him have Hurns' points. But to sit back and wait to see how many points Jones scored? That's bush league.
+1

Did he make any attempt to contact the commish once he saw Hurns was playing?

You guys take this waaay too seriously.

You're telling me he shouldn't be able to rely on his website? Not everyone has the time or is inclined to double-check stuff like this when it seemed pretty black and white to him already. And if the website acknowledged the error, then I think you do the sportsmanlike thing. IF you think that he would've played Hurns. Has he been playing him over Jones weekly - just not this week? If he has been, I think you take him at his word that the only reason he played Jones was due to the website saying he was out. If he's been playing matchup and Hurns was not a clear starter, then I think he has to stick with Jones' points.

I'd be inclined to make the switch for him. We all need to be able to rely on the hosting website for something like that.

Better yet, allow conditional lineups so we aren't all chained to our damn laptops every Sunday morning.

Hey everyone,

... Comish has deferred to us to figure it out. ...
This judgement does not appear difficult to me. Unless you've left out compelling information, the lineup should remain and the commish is failing you guys (and your league).

Hey everyone,

This judgement does not appear difficult to me. Unless you've left out compelling information, the lineup should remain and the commish is failing you guys (and your league).
Why?

Owner here didn't make a mistake other than trusting the hosting site. If the hosting site error is made known, it would be unconscionable not to make the switch back.

I don't think as a grown man...I could ask this of the commissioner. Sometimes you eat the bear....and sometimes the bear eats you.

Hey everyone,

Why?Owner here didn't make a mistake other than trusting the hosting site. If the hosting site error is made known, it would be unconscionable not to make the switch back.
since when is the hosting site responsible for setting lineups?

Hey everyone,

Why?Owner here didn't make a mistake other than trusting the hosting site. If the hosting site error is made known, it would be unconscionable not to make the switch back.
I agree. And maybe he did something with his family and left his computer. Who knows. He set his lineup based on the info he had. I think it's bush league playing that hard core with people.

Hey everyone,

Is this a joke?

And if james Jones had 150 yards and a td would you guys still change his lineup? Would his opponent even say anything? No he'd be grinning his ### off bragging about how he got lucky. Come on guys use your noggin.

Hey everyone,

It isn't but it is responsible for reporting actives/inactives/IR, etc., and if it made an error as egregious as listing a player OUT, that shouldn't be held against the owner.

It's assinine that anyone would expect owners to have to check multiple sites to verify a player as active or not before a game, and the hosting site should have been reliable.

This wasn't a lineup error, this was a website error.

Hey everyone,

Is this a joke?
I'm pretty sure you're fishing but whatever

And if james Jones had 150 yards and a td would you guys still change his lineup? Would his opponent even say anything? No he'd be grinning his ### off bragging about how he got lucky. Come on guys use your noggin.
Timing matters here, but the fact that the website error was verified makes a big difference.

Hey everyone,

Is this a joke?
I'm pretty sure you're fishing but whatever
Definitely wasn't fishing. Clearly it is not the website's job to set the lineup. That's why I found your question to be odd. I think we can agree on that part. BUT the website provided clearly erroneous information and the owner made the decision to set his lineup based upon that info.

This is an easy one.

Bad info or not, each owner needs to be accountable for his own actions. I personally triple confirm any inactive/active players that affect my starting lineups. And as others have mentioned... this guy would not be asking the commish for a swap had James Jones blown up with a good game.

It's a tough lesson learned, but learn it he will. First, always double and triple check actives/inactives. Secondly - and maybe most importantly - NEVER trust cbs.sportsline for player information. They might be the worst when it comes to player news/info/projections.

Timing matters here, but the fact that the website error was verified makes a big difference.
I think the bigger issue is whether or not there is a way to prove that the owner swapped the 2 players at the last minute based on the information that Hurns was out.

Wow...not even a question. He sat Hurns, he does not get Hurn's points. Doing so would open up a whole new can of worms.
Definitely a question. Let's say the guy has played Hurns every week over Jones but doesn't this week. And doesn't because the website said he was out. You think that's just the way it goes? I'm a commish and I think the criteria for me would be his history of playing Hurns over Jones. If it was clear, I'd allow Hurns' points. If there was any question, I'd go with Jones'.

This is an easy one.

Bad info or not, each owner needs to be accountable for his own actions. I personally triple confirm any inactive/active players that affect my starting lineups. And as others have mentioned... this guy would not be asking the commish for a swap had James Jones blown up with a good game.

It's a tough lesson learned, but learn it he will. First, always double and triple check actives/inactives. Secondly - and maybe most importantly - NEVER trust cbs.sportsline for player information. They might be the worst when it comes to player news/info/projections.
It's crazy to expect folks to check multiple sites for an inactive listing.

That's simply NOT reasonable.

There is no perfect answer for a problem like this. Hopefully ODB's performance tonight makes it a moot point for the OP. I am a huge proponent of llowing conditional lineups though, avoiding the need for owners to check actives a 1230 PM SUnday, or making lineup decisions based on Wednesday practice reports on Thursday regarding Sunday and Monday players.

I think the bigger issue is whether or not there is a way to prove that the owner swapped the 2 players at the last minute based on the information that Hurns was out.
Good point...would think the hosting site could help verify that.

I can really see both sides here. While I'm usually of the opinion that every owner is responsible for their own team, I think there is a legitimate gripe if he swapped players at the last minute based on false information from the hosting site. However, I can pretty much guarantee that there is no way in hell I would ever bring this up to the commish if this happened to me. Tough position for the commish to be in.

With the others that say he gets the points for the player he started. I've had a couple instances myself where a guy's status changed late (IIRC wasn't Julio ruled out 5 minutes before a game start once, when all during the week he was listed as a "Probable"?) and those are the breaks and ##### happens.

This is an easy one.

There is no perfect answer for a problem like this. Hopefully ODB's performance tonight makes it a moot point for the OP. I am a huge proponent of llowing conditional lineups though, avoiding the need for owners to check actives a 1230 PM SUnday, or making lineup decisions based on Wednesday practice reports on Thursday regarding Sunday and Monday players.
I think it's crazy to just change someone's lineup because they make a claim of x y z. That's not fair for the owner who had no lineup issues. If that swap affects the outcome, why is it that the owner who had no lineup issues has to pay the price for their opponent's actions?

The only way I'd be for the swap (back to Hurns) is if the owner reached out to the commish as soon as he found out about Hurns starting. <<<< Unless that happened, this is a NO-BRAINER call.

I don't understand why this is up to the commish. He should do nothing. opens up way too many cans of worms. It's up to the op if he wants to be a nice guy and allow the switch.

Inactives came out an hour before the game. @jaguars tweeted a vine of Hurns getting loose, saying welcome back (retweeted by @nfl). Super easy information to find on Google.

If it were my league, I wouldn't put it to the league to decide. You set your lineup, you are responsible for your lineup.

What if the site inadvertently listed Antonio Brown or Adrian Peterson out? Would the guy just shrug and swap them out his lineup? It's up to him to do a quick search and make sure it's legit. Shouldn't even be a discussion. You set a lineup on the site and that's your team. Pretty simple.

Wow. Thanks for all of the responses!

I agree with most of you... better or worse, you set your line-up and there are plenty of other avenues for information. I'm not sure when he mentioned it to the comish. I might just forward a copy of this thread to both of them.

Luckily that 45 yard catch by ODB put me over the top regardless of the decision.

You can't confirm this story. If he said something a few minutes after games starts maybe. Now? Tough ####.

Inactives came out an hour before the game. @jaguars tweeted a vine of Hurns getting loose, saying welcome back (retweeted by @nfl). Super easy information to find on Google.

If it were my league, I wouldn't put it to the league to decide. You set your lineup, you are responsible for your lineup.
Sorry...but it's absolute BS to expect anyone to follow multiple sources to verify an inactive. The league hosting site is the only one that matters in this case.

You know...that actual site where the owner put his lineup in.

Timing is everything though. When was the actual lineup change made? IN MFL, the opponent can get an email with a timestamp for a lineup change. When did he contact the commish re. the problem? 8 PM? 130 PM? Monday? If 130 PM...it's a no-brainer to change it back IMO. If it's Monday I'd certainly have more reservations.

Since it was a technical error and clearly misleading, I think the gentlemanly thing to do would be to allow the points to count regardless of whether I win or lose. However, if James Jones would have blown up for 3 TDs, I bet I wouldn't be here writing this...
And that's why he's gotta stick with Jones.

Sorry...but it's absolute BS to expect anyone to follow multiple sources to verify an inactive. The league hosting site is the only one that matters in this case.

Timing is everything though. When was the actual lineup change made? IN MFL, the opponent can get an email with a timestamp for a lineup change. When did he contact the commish re. the problem? 8 PM? 130 PM? Monday? If 130 PM...it's a no-brainer to change it back IMO. If it's Monday I'd certainly have more reservations.
I was presuming - incorrectly, as the OP was ambiguous - that the issue was brought up today. If he contacted the Commish during the first half (when Hurns hadn't done jack all day), no issue. If he contacted him at say, oh, 2:40 p.m. (Hurns 80 yard TD), sorry Charlie.

I was presuming - incorrectly, as the OP was ambiguous - that the issue was brought up today. If he contacted the Commish during the first half (when Hurns hadn't done jack all day), no issue. If he contacted him at say, oh, 2:40 p.m. (Hurns 80 yard TD), sorry Charlie.
And that I could live with. :hifive:

I started a thread a couple of weeks ago re. conditional lineups though. I feel very strongly that more leagues should move away from requiring owners to be chained to their laptops on Sunday. I work 12 hour night shifts myself and having to wake up to check inactives at noon on Sundays after a Saturday night shift is brutal. It's also asinine to have to make a decision on Thursday that based on guesswork about other players on Sunday or Monday.

This is an easy one.

I think it's crazy to just change someone's lineup because they make a claim of x y z. That's not fair for the owner who had no lineup issues. If that swap affects the outcome, why is it that the owner who had no lineup issues has to pay the price for their opponent's actions?

The only way I'd be for the swap (back to Hurns) is if the owner reached out to the commish as soon as he found out about Hurns starting. <<<< Unless that happened, this is a NO-BRAINER call.
Have to agree here.

We are all responsible for setting lineups. It' not that hard to get info on if someone is really playing. If he contacted the Commish shortly after the 1pm start then the Commish should have made the switch when he saw it and alerted the opponent as well.'

This really is an easy decision.

And BTW I cannot believe people still pay money to have leagues on CBS. Yahoo is free and a much much better site IMO,

I started a thread a couple of weeks ago re. conditional lineups though. I feel very strongly that more leagues should move away from requiring owners to be chained to their laptops on Sunday. I work 12 hour night shifts myself and having to wake up to check inactives at noon on Sundays after a Saturday night shift is brutal. It's also asinine to have to make a decision on Thursday that based on guesswork about other players on Sunday or Monday.
You lock lineups Thursday kickoff? We started doing that and halfway through the year we switched back to kickoff of the player. We have one West Coast guy and one guy in the UK. Just made team management less fun, so for the first time ever, we changed a rule midseason.

I do like your justification for conditional lineups. That's really a great idea and makes a lot of sense.

You lock lineups Thursday kickoff? We started doing that and halfway through the year we switched back to kickoff of the player. We have one West Coast guy and one guy in the UK. Just made team management less fun, so for the first time ever, we changed a rule midseason.
No, but what if your best backup to a Q player plays on Thursday? Or if you have a GTD player going on MNF? A thread where you can state on Thursday : "Sub player X (Thursday night player) for player Y (MNF player) if player Y is inactive." makes more sense and the lineup decision remains with the owner.

No, but what if your best backup to a Q player plays on Thursday? Or if you have a GTD player going on MNF? A thread where you can state on Thursday : "Sub player X (Thursday night player) for player Y (MNF player) if player Y is inactive." makes more sense and the lineup decision remains with the owner.
I remember that thread. I guess the issue brought up (maybe I missed the answer) is what if someone goes off TNF and they're you're conditional backup...and if you have more than one option on Sunday you could (in theory) pick the GTD guy, and when he gets declared inactive, voila, you get to plug in a player who scored way over his projection. Am I missing something.

Actually, probably be better if we bump that thread again rather than hijack this one...

Tell what to me? Not sure what that has to do with this thread. My comment was appropriate - if you choose to implement a conditional player rule, you're going to have to live with the fact that occasionally someone's going to have their conditional player going on Thursday is and going to get a slight advantage because of it. FYI, I have had a conditional player rule in place in my homer league for many years and never had anyone complain about this.

There's no such rule in this case, making it much more cut and dried.

Users who are viewing this thread